Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 84

• GarlVinland 23 Jul 2018 16:03:33 3,662 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    They added Jellyhorn?!

I expect to grind incessantly until it's nerfed and then dropped like always!

So, I'm down to a switch now and I'm playing Fortnite, Gungeon, still plugging away at Odyssey (680) and on my third Zelda play through, this time with DLC.

Tempted by Rabbids, Xeno 2, DKC, and Hollow Knight.
    Yep, the latest Gungeon update this week added Gjally, it's called The Exotic, it fires a secondary round of Wolf Pack rockets and you even get a lil Ghost buddy that reveals what's in chests. :) My number one reason to get back into this game.

Also, it's maybe not for everyone but Hollow Knight is my easy GotY.
  • JiveHound 23 Jul 2018 16:05:50 9,940 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hollow Knight appeals, feel a splurge coming though as I've bought nothing in months. I should just buy HK of course, and it would be cheaper
  • JiveHound 23 Jul 2018 16:06:51 9,940 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And I forgot I want Lumines too!
  • ghearoid 24 Jul 2018 15:12:56 3,060 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation 3DS - I finished Birthright earlier this year and Conquest last week, so now on to the third game! :)

Mario Tennis Aces Switch - I've completed each tournament with each character, I'm on to my third thingy in adventure mode. I really hope this game gets some updates. It's fun, but kinda light on content so far.
  • Graxlar_v3 24 Jul 2018 15:14:36 4,165 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I really should finish revelations... I loved conquest (played it on normal as i am not a mentalist)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Jul 2018 15:24:46 4,311 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 I found Revelations a bit flabby and dull after Conquest. It's not terrible, but the mission design is quite grindy and the plot never hits the heights of Conquest's.
  • Switch024 30 Jul 2018 11:39:29 2,985 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Seem to be playing all the games in my backlog (as well as new games) and making very little progress in any of them. Having a lot of fun pissing about though.

Last weekend was the SNES Mini, this weekend I set the Wii U back up and ended up just playing a bit of everything. Bayonetta, Mass Effect 3, Wind Waker HD and Tokyo Mirage Sessions all got an hour or so, I spent some time on Nintendo Land and then Wii Sports Resort, mainly messing around with the Frisbee mini game.

Have no real desire to play one game for any length of time at the moment, seem to get more out of just jumping from game to game.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Jul 2018 11:56:57 4,311 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Put a few hours more into Tokyo Xanadu EX+ yesterday. I'd been having trouble getting into it, on the basis that it seemed a bit too much like a low-budget Persona rip-off.

I was right, but I've now reached the happy frame of mind where I'll take a low-budget Persona rip-off over no-Persona.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Jul 2018 12:57:34 7,954 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Doom 2016 has got to be the most fun shooter in at least 20 years, right?

Like it should be super formulaic and derivative and it's all corridor/wave room repeat but it's so much fucking fun*

*not the gauze gun
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 Jul 2018 13:27:22 4,311 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe Yeah, Doom 2016 is amazing. My one wish for the sequel would be more free-roaming combat and fewer arena rooms. But that's a very small wish for improvement against the backdrop of an utterly awesome game.
  • RawShark 31 Jul 2018 14:27:03 429 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Play Mario Odyssey at the moment. I don't think it quite reaches the heights of Galaxy 1&2, but it's just pure madness and a joy to play.

I was not expecting I would ever have to outrun a T-Rex on a moped in a Mario game. Ever.
  • retro74 31 Jul 2018 14:41:59 2,530 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Resident Evil 7. I've completed it 7 times now in the last week or so - it's just so much fun with the extra stuff

Only takes about 4-5 hours each time fighting everything you can rather than running all the time

Tried the DLC 'Not a Hero' last night, seems pretty excellent so far. Punching FTW
  • DrStrangelove 31 Jul 2018 15:09:41 13,200 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @simpleexplodingmaybe Yeah, Doom 2016 is amazing. My one wish for the sequel would be more free-roaming combat and fewer arena rooms. But that's a very small wish for improvement against the backdrop of an utterly awesome game.
    Yes, this. I wonder why it took them 15 years to realise that people wanted them to make the kind of games that originally made them so popular.
  • DrStrangelove 31 Jul 2018 20:34:37 13,200 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Been thinking about this many times, now again that I started playing Doom 2016 again.

To me, one of the worst things that ever happened to shooters was aiming down sights. Evading fireballs and rockets, running and jumping around while at the same time shooting them is a core part of what made oldschool shooters (Doom/Quake/Unreal - even Half-Life) so appealing to me. Railgunning people's heads off mid-air was as satisfying as it gets.

In contrast, in most modern shooters you have to aim down the sights to hit anything. Which slows you down and prevents you from jumping, makes you an easy target, so you need to be more careful. Add cover-based gameplay and regenerating health, and you have a game that rewards being defensive and risk-averse.

This was of course a design change that came with shooters' transition from being PC-centric to console-centric. Lightning fast moving+aiming is just easier with key+mouse than with a controller. Certainly so with the relatively imprecise controllers of earlier consoles--I can't say anything about the XB1 controller, but it's definitely much easier to aim with a DS4 than with a DS3 or the X360 controller.

So I commend id for having the guts to give it a try, as in terms of market share Doom 2016 clearly is a console shooter. Free aim, no peeking around cover, no recharging health. They even took it a step further by adding the fatality system for more risk and reward. Don't hide for health, get in melee range for health. Also, the shotguns greatly encourage you to get close.

And of course, have enemies throw fireballs instead of just shooting bullets. That means you have to evade.

There's a lot that's great about Doom 2016, but I think these mechanics are the most important. More speed, more risk, more mayhem, more adrenaline.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:43:24 31-07-2018
  • Darth_Flibble 31 Jul 2018 21:00:32 3,154 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    With Doom, I'm glad they didn't do that COD inspired game where you are fighting with grunting oorah marines on Earth. It looked terrible. The trouble is publishers and certain devs chase what ever is trendy and fuck creativity At that time it was call of duty style FPS, now its some shit Battle royale mode - when fornite has the market sewn up.
  • DrStrangelove 31 Jul 2018 21:10:55 13,200 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble

Which was actually the plan they originally had for this game. But at some point they came to their senses and decided to fuck that and make it a proper Doom.

edit: yeah that's what you said basically, missed it

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:11:58 31-07-2018
  • Tomo 1 Aug 2018 00:27:05 16,107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    And I forgot I want Lumines too!
    Can confirm the Switch version is really good.
  • Switch024 1 Aug 2018 10:10:36 2,985 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Put another 3 hours into Tokyo Mirage Sessions last night, possibly the most Japanese game I've ever played. Have made it partway through the first proper dungeon and I'm really enjoying it, the game never takes itself seriously and has made me laugh a few times.

There seems to be quite a lot of depth to the combat and it's pretty difficult too, found myself having to back out to go and get some supplies after two members of my party got wiped.

I played a bit of Persona 4 when I had a Vita and can see the similarities, although this feels a little bit more streamlined. Would be nice to see it get a Switch port so more people could play it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Aug 2018 10:17:37 7,954 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    The heavily signposted locked down arenas rather than open combat is one of the three tiny gripes I have with it. They're a lot of fun but would it be so hard deviate from the formula a bit more?

The other two are the gauze cannon being drastically less punchy and satisfying than every other weapon and the old school maps have new doom monsters, weapons and gameplay. Although the last is pretty entitled when I've owned classic doom on so many different platforms already.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Aug 2018 10:18:23 4,311 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Switch024 Tokyo Mirage Sessions is fun, but there's no getting away from the fact that it is basically Persona-lite. Its dungeon exploration and combat mechanics feel very similar to the Persona games and there are some superficial similarities on the non-combat side.

However, TMS lacks the time-management and social-stat components of a full-blooded Persona game. It's trivially easy to see all of the character subplots through to completion in a single-playthrough (in a Persona game, until you hit NG+, the equivalent is a very serious challenge).

Once you've finished TMS, I really do urge you to play Persona 5, even if you have to beg, borrow or steal a PS4 to do so. Not only is it a fantastic full-sized Persona game, but it also features some of the same real-world locations as TMS (the Shibuya scramble-crossing and surrounding streets in particular). It's really interesting to see how two games from the same broad stable manage to give the same real-world locations such a completely different feel.
  • Switch024 1 Aug 2018 10:32:29 2,985 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rogueywon I've had an eye on Persona 5, it looks and sounds great but I know it's a huge time-sink and I've really struggled to see even the shortest games through to the end this past year. It could be due to a lack of time or just losing interest but it's made me think twice about picking up a new game that could take upwards of 100 hours.

Although having said that, I've had TMS in my backlog for a couple of years and now I've finally started it I'm wondering why I left it for so long. Maybe I've been playing the wrong games, I used to love JRPGs and can't remember the last one I played one properly. If I steam through this then I'll definitely pick up P5.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Aug 2018 10:47:13 4,311 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Switch024 P5 is a long game, though shorter than the "full" editions of P3 and P4 (FES and Golden respectively). My playthrough took around 80 hours and I did manage 100% Confidant/Social Link completion - by the skin of my teeth.

A quick - but unpopular - tip for P5 if you struggle to see very long games through to completion. Turn the difficulty down! Seriously. I know that suggesting this on a forum these days seems to be pretty much akin to suggesting you go out and molest goats, but it's a good idea.

On "normal" difficulty, you will need to grind for xp and money in a fairly traditional JRPG manner. You will take the odd death to insta-kill attacks requiring you to replay some lengthy sections of dungeon. This is fine if you have the time, but it is in no way necessary to enjoy the game.

There are two difficulty settings below normal. On the lowest, you will get enough xp and cash from simple progress through dungeons to move the game forward, but unless you go out of your way to grind, bosses will still pose a challenge. Moreover, instant-kill attacks will not automatically send you to the game-over screen. When the game was only recently released and its thread was still active, I saw plenty of people raging about grinding or about time lost to sudden deaths but stubbornly refusing to drop the difficulty. Madness. Even on the lowest difficulty (I alternated between lowest and second-lowest), it's a 70+ hour game.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Aug 2018 10:59:09 23,503 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I find more and more that I will play a game on normal or easy, no shame. I basically want to be entertained, not frustrated in my gaming.

I know players enjoy beating on the hardest setting and good for them, I just want to see the story through. If that means I have less cheveos or trophies (of whatever) due to this, I'm at peace with this.

In summary, good advice Roguey :)
  • Switch024 1 Aug 2018 10:59:40 2,985 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rogueywon That's good to know, I'm guilty of always starting a game on hard and although I do like a challenge it can spoil certain games, they often become frustrating rather than fun.

How do the Persona games connect with the previous games? Do the characters and story carry into the next one?
  • Graxlar_v3 1 Aug 2018 11:03:19 4,165 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Rogueywon P5 has difficulty settings??

Seriously pro tip for P5 is wait til flu season, go underground hang around in a level after a save point (make sure to save), wait for the reaper to appear and kill himself, go save and repeat.

I did that in December and it saved the game for me, i prob wouldn't have finished it if i had not cheesed that.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Aug 2018 11:25:14 7,954 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    I find more and more that I will play a game on normal or easy, no shame. I basically want to be entertained, not frustrated in my gaming.

I know players enjoy beating on the hardest setting and good for them, I just want to see the story through. If that means I have less cheveos or trophies (of whatever) due to this, I'm at peace with this.

In summary, good advice Roguey :)
    Same here. Games are to relax after doing my hard real life job not become a chore themselves.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Aug 2018 11:31:14 4,311 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    @Rogueywon That's good to know, I'm guilty of always starting a game on hard and although I do like a challenge it can spoil certain games, they often become frustrating rather than fun.

How do the Persona games connect with the previous games? Do the characters and story carry into the next one?
    There are some connections between P3 and P4 and a couple of character recur. The stories, however, are entirely standalone. P5 is even more detached. It uses real-world settings, rather than the fictional ones from P3 and P4 and outside of the Velvet Room, no settings or characters repeat from earlier games, so it's not even clear it's set in the same universe.

Think of it as being like the Final Fantasy games. Certain creatures and motifs recur between titles, but they otherwise stand alone.
  • Humperfunk 1 Aug 2018 11:32:33 7,786 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Absolutely this.

Also all this Persona 5 chat is making me want to play it again, fucking incredible game from start to finish. Standard Persona tbf.
  • Graxlar_v3 1 Aug 2018 11:35:30 4,165 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Humperfunk wrote:

Also all this Persona 5 chat is making me want to play it again, fucking incredible game from start to finish. Standard Persona tbf.
    7th dungeon says ha!
  • Humperfunk 1 Aug 2018 11:38:29 7,786 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Oh shit yeah that was pretty guff...!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.