Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 100

• Humperfunk 25 Dec 2018 15:25:02 7,893 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah really enjoyed both Watch Dogs games, would be all over a third day one.

Now playing Far Cry 5, very good so far although not overly a fan of unlocking perks via challenges. Love playing with the bow in these games but now the only challenge with that is done within 2 hours, it's basically redundant for the rest of the game...bring back crafting!

Edited by Humperfunk at 15:26:18 25-12-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Dec 2018 15:41:08 4,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just started Warhammer 40K: Mechanicus. Interesting game... the biggest inspiration is clearly Darkest Dungeon, from which it borrows a lot of exploration mechanics (though not, happily, the save system). But battles are played out in an XCom-style turn-based grid system.

Also seems to have an unusual degree of player-choice for the genre. There's a storyline in there and I get the sense that some of my choices (including tactical ones) are actually having an impact on it.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Dec 2018 21:35:29 19,080 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That description has got me interested, but what do you mean about the save system? Darkest Dungeon doesn't really have a save system, on account of its roguelike elements. Do you mean that you can just make lots of save files and reload if something goes badly?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Dec 2018 21:54:51 4,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Yeah, unlike Darkest Dungeon, it has a normal save system. You can make as many save files as you want, so the roguelike elements are basically gone. Despite this, the difficulty is still sky high. I've had to attempt some missions 4-5 times to clear them.

I've played a bit more and it really does borrow a hell of a lot from Darkest Dungeon. Even the character-upgrade systems are a bit similar. The combat is sort-of-XCom-ish, but perhaps less of a close analogy there. To perform most actions, you basically have to collect resources spread around the field, which gives it an interesting (but massively punishing) risk/reward dynamic.

Visually, it's pretty basic and there's not a huge amount of variety to the designs. You play as Mechanicus and you're fighting Necrons. All of the maps seem to be variants on "Necron Tomb" with visuals that are pretty familiar from Dawn of War. But I'm enjoying it so far, even if it is making me sweat.

Edit: Also, worth noting the whole game has a countdown-to-game-over. Whenever you move from one room to another within a tomb (using a very close variant of the Darkest Dungeon system), time advances. Every few turns in combat, time advances. The more time advances while you're in a particular dungeon, the harder it gets and the further the global countdown-clock advances at the end of the mission. There are things you can do in dungeons that sometimes slow the clock, but you can't reverse it. So there's a real tension between exploring each tomb fully for the loot and xp, or just blasting to the objective to minimise the time you waste.

Edit 2: Just in case it wasn't clear - this is one of the most stress-inducing games I've played this year.

Edited by Rogueywon at 22:10:27 26-12-2018
  • Nitrous 26 Dec 2018 23:35:16 1,756 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A few things on the go but at the moment it's mostly FarCry5 on PS4. I like it I think although it is early days.
  • mrharvest 27 Dec 2018 01:30:02 5,584 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I finished Mass Effect 1 and I'm now on ME2. That damn scanning planets is some tedious stuff - give me Mako any day of the week over that. Except for that ME2 is an improvement on every aspect.
  • DrStrangelove 27 Dec 2018 04:58:44 13,426 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mrharvest you can fix that by using a save editor to give yourself enough mineral resources. Normally I'm not into cheating, but in this case it really improves the game to skip that crap.

edit: if you're playing on PC that is, of course

Edited by DrStrangelove at 05:39:41 27-12-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Dec 2018 23:18:44 4,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    God almighty, Mechanicus is fucking brutal. Just put a couple of hours into it and can't remember the last time a game left me feeling this traumatised. It's Darkest Dungeon without the RNG but with an absolute fuckload of balls-to-the-wall difficulty, with the added stress of a constantly-ticking game-over meter.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Dec 2018 23:55:11 19,080 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Eh, I like a bit of RNG fucking. Keeps it interesting for me, and the challenge shifts to being able to plan for things going horribly wrong. RNG by itself is rarely a problem, it only becomes so when you're unable to mitigate it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Dec 2018 09:02:31 4,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram To be clear, I'm not even sure yet whether I like Mechanicus. I played around 2 hours yesterday and they were among the most stressful hours I can recall ever spending in a game (up there with the weekend I spent brickwalled on Four Kings during my first ever Dark Souls playthrough). The salt in the wound is that this is a genre (turn based tactics) that I normally consider myself good at, but every single mission in Mechanicus seems to end on the cusp of disaster.

I did one mission yesterday that turned into an absolute clusterfuck. While, strictly speaking, I completed the objective, the path there went so badly wrong that I ended up advancing the doomsday clock by 7% over the course of the mission (this is a lot - the highest I'd had on a previous mission had been 4% and more typically 2-3%). At the time, I couldn't actually work out what the hell I was doing wrong. With hindsight, there were probably a couple of turns where I needed to push forward more aggressively, but we're talking about the kind of tiny mis-step here that even the XCom games or Battletech would probably let you get away with.

I'm generally not a huge fan of games that make massive use of RNG. This is what eventually drove me out of Darkest Dungeon - the fact that you could play pretty much flawlessly and still end up with your game fucked because of a couple of bad dice-rolls when fighting a boss. There's a touch of RNG in Mechanicus, but it's much milder. In some ways, though, that just means it hurts even more when things go badly wrong, as I can't blame the invisible dice.

Edit: Turns out the game wasn't actually this hard at launch - in fact it was considered pretty easy. A recent balance patch has sent the difficulty through the roof. Wonder if they'll re-tune it again at some point.

Edited by Rogueywon at 10:21:24 28-12-2018
  • Mola_Ram 28 Dec 2018 11:36:05 19,080 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds like you are probably not a roguelike fan, then, because RNG (and developing the knowledge and experience to deal with it, soften the blow when it goes bad) is a large part of what they're all about. Having a bad fight always frustrates me in the moment, but it's the random, occasionally unfair spice that keeps bringing me back. Not being able to save is a part of it too.

Not that there's anything wrong with not liking that. Different people like different things and all.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Dec 2018 11:43:20 4,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram No, never clicked with the genre. Always left me entirely cold, despite a few attempts over the years to engage with it. Not a fan of the lack of persistence.

Probably why I like the Souls games so much. With their carefully designed worlds and their ultra-persistence (where the world state, barring enemies, remains the same even through player deaths), they're pretty much the polar opposite of Roguelikes.
  • mrharvest 28 Dec 2018 17:31:04 5,584 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Ah, I hadn't even considered that option... Very tempting!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Dec 2018 20:33:00 4,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Restarted Mechanicus to see if it made it any easier if I did the first few missions when I knew what I was doing. Simple answer... yes. Avoiding a clusterfuck on those early missions and focussing on clearing tombs quickly rather than lots of side-exploration has put me in a much, much better position. I'm at 15% on the end-game timer this time, while at an equivalent point in the previous attempted playthrough it was over 25%.
  • DrStrangelove 28 Dec 2018 21:28:12 13,426 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrharvest wrote:
    @DrStrangelove Ah, I hadn't even considered that option... Very tempting!
    If you're interested, just google for Gibbed ME2 Save Editor (always make a backup of your save files before tinkering with them, I've never had any problem with this one, but better safe than sorry).

By the way, the ME2 save editor has another great use. If you're going to play ME3 afterwards, you may run into a bug that resets your face to a default one even though the face code seems to be correct (it's not, ME2 fucked it up when importing the ME1 save). This affects only careers originating in ME1 - not all, but a great many, I think it happened to me in about 30% of cases.

If this happens to you (you'll notice in ME3's customisation menu), you can fix it with the ME2 save editor too: delete the face code from the ME2 save, start a new ME3 game again importing the edited save, and bam.

(Clarification of what's going on, if you're interested:

ME1 has no face codes. When you import a ME1 save in ME2, it will take the raw data of your ME1 face and create a ME2 face from that. It will also create a face code for it - this is bugged and will often be just one of the default faces' codes. Your ME2 in-game face is still based on the raw data, so it's fine, only the code displayed and saved in the save files is wrong.

Now when importing a ME2 save in ME3, ME3 won't import the raw data, it will just use the face code. And if the code's broken, then you suddenly have a default face. By deleting the face code from the ME2 save, you force ME3 to import the raw data and you have your custom Shepard back.)

Edited by DrStrangelove at 01:21:54 29-12-2018
  • mrharvest 29 Dec 2018 21:54:26 5,584 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Cheers! That's exactly what happened to my character. Deleting the face code mostly fixed it. My eyebrows, hair and complexion still came out different from ME2. But that might just be the rendering engine and I was able to tweak it in the customisation menu.

Much appreciated the tip!

Edit: Uh, the beginning of the game is throwing me a bit off kilter though. Why exactly did my Shepard who had nothing at all to do with Alliance military in ME2 decide that she'd rather be a common grunt again? Why is Anderson somehow in charge of Normandy when it was built by Cerberus? D:

Edited by mrharvest at 22:15:40 29-12-2018
  • Tomo 30 Dec 2018 00:36:56 16,251 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Have started playing Deep Rock Galactic on PC and it's bloody brilliant.

If you like Vermintide or Left 4 Dead, you should definitely take a look. Basically it's 2-4 coop (or single player) with four different classes of dwarf miners. You work for a space mining corporation and get sent on missions together to recover certain minerals and stuff like that. It's semi-roguelike as the levels are randomly generated, but they feel nicely organic and well designed. You then go exploring the mines and fighting off loads of space aliens. You then plough your money and XP into perks and gun upgrades after each mission.

It's really funny - the voiceover work on the dwarves is awesome. The art style fits the bonkers vibe it has going for it. But best of all the guns feel great and the classes are all really fun to play. It's really polished too, for an early access game.

Love it. Would say I prefer it to Vermintide 2 so far.
  • DrStrangelove 30 Dec 2018 06:41:42 13,426 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrharvest wrote:
    My eyebrows, hair and complexion still came out different from ME2. But that might just be the rendering engine and I was able to tweak it in the customisation menu.
    Yes, there's no way to make your Shepard look the same in ME3, its head morphs/textures/etc. look very different. At most you get some resemblance.

Edit: Uh, the beginning of the game is throwing me a bit off kilter though. Why exactly did my Shepard who had nothing at all to do with Alliance military in ME2 decide that she'd rather be a common grunt again? Why is Anderson somehow in charge of Normandy when it was built by Cerberus? D:
    ME3 is full of surprises :)
  • DUFFMAN5 30 Dec 2018 07:51:31 23,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Started:
    What remains of Edith Finch last night, only the first memory...very strange!
  • richardiox 30 Dec 2018 11:01:27 7,495 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Started:
    What remains of Edith Finch last night, only the first memory...very strange!
    Play it through, a weird, memorable gaming experience.
  • Malek86 30 Dec 2018 11:58:51 8,044 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A bunch of Game Pass titles I've tried.

Ashen: oh look, it's the most shameless Dark Souls clone this side of Lords of the Fallen, except at least that game didn't make you squint your eyes to read anything. Deleted.

Below: do I have to blame Dark Souls for what it did to indie developers? It seems many now believe that you should tell absolutely nothing to the player. Personally, I think it's like getting a group of people around a Monopoly table and then telling them that manuals are for pansies and they should figure the rules out by themselves. However, Dark Souls was actually not that obscure, so indies are mostly missing the point and digging their own grave for no reason. Again, deleted pretty quickly.

Snake Pass: okay, I guess the controls are really weird. Not sure I like it much. Let me try the level again to get some stuff I missed... oh, hello there, unskippable cutscene. Deleted.

Hellblade: I dunno. It seems okay so far, and there are certainly some nice vistas there. But all this dark, dark, daaaaarrrk makes it a bit hard to care. I can already tell the ending is going to be bleak without even playing through those annoying rune puzzles. Even so... I suppose I'll try and keep going for a bit.

I'm also downloading Abzu and Lumo, let's hope things go better.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Dec 2018 12:21:24 8,801 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Abzu is beautiful
  • richardiox 30 Dec 2018 12:36:29 7,495 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Abzu is beautiful
    Yeah I loved Abzu. Wonder if it's X enhanced, the PS4 Pro version had some graphical extras.
  • Gunzberg 30 Dec 2018 12:41:01 2,661 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    A bunch of Game Pass titles I've tried.

Ashen: oh look, it's the most shameless Dark Souls clone this side of Lords of the Fallen, except at least that game didn't make you squint your eyes to read anything. Deleted.

Below: do I have to blame Dark Souls for what it did to indie developers? It seems many now believe that you should tell absolutely nothing to the player. Personally, I think it's like getting a group of people around a Monopoly table and then telling them that manuals are for pansies and they should figure the rules out by themselves. However, Dark Souls was actually not that obscure, so indies are mostly missing the point and digging their own grave for no reason. Again, deleted pretty quickly.

Snake Pass: okay, I guess the controls are really weird. Not sure I like it much. Let me try the level again to get some stuff I missed... oh, hello there, unskippable cutscene. Deleted.

Hellblade: I dunno. It seems okay so far, and there are certainly some nice vistas there. But all this dark, dark, daaaaarrrk makes it a bit hard to care. I can already tell the ending is going to be bleak without even playing through those annoying rune puzzles. Even so... I suppose I'll try and keep going for a bit.

I'm also downloading Abzu and Lumo, let's hope things go better.
    Agree on Ashen and Below, I gave both a solid couple of hours and they are 7/10 games and that is being kind (and yeah I got pretty far, first major boss, multiple areas etc). I thank GamePass for letting me try out games rather than believing review/user hype
  • Gunzberg 30 Dec 2018 12:41:26 2,661 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And yeah Abzu is kewl!
  • Tomo 30 Dec 2018 12:49:20 16,251 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Found Abzu super dull :x
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Dec 2018 13:38:36 8,801 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The new one from the developers looks fantastic too

• Blackmarsh63 30 Dec 2018 14:51:14 1,917 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Malek86 Lumo's ok for about an hour.
  • heavy_salad 30 Dec 2018 16:27:35 1,164 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tomo It's a brilliant game, and seems completely under-appreciated as it hardly seems to get mentioned.
  • grounded_dreams 30 Dec 2018 19:02:12 95 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've been finding RDR2 a tad of a slog atm, maybe not in the right mood. So moved over to Detroit: Become Human, which I received for Christmas, only a few hours in and loving it so far.
    Also, started Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana on the Vita the other day, not far in and its mostly story building atm.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.