Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 101

• simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Dec 2018 19:13:11 8,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've got RDR2 on my shopping list but I'm a bit cautious that it might be one of those games that is technically a marvel but whose gameplay becomes a chore through repetition and being too long. Basically that too much of what you do might turn into busywork
  • mrharvest 1 Jan 2019 11:26:18 5,584 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    mrharvest wrote:
    Edit: Uh, the beginning of the game is throwing me a bit off kilter though. Why exactly did my Shepard who had nothing at all to do with Alliance military in ME2 decide that she'd rather be a common grunt again? Why is Anderson somehow in charge of Normandy when it was built by Cerberus? D:
    ME3 is full of surprises :)
    Aaaand then I finished.

I thought the game got remarkably better after the first three or so hours where Shepard is bit of a wet blanket. It felt like there was overall more railroading than in the previous games.

I'd also heard terrible things about the ending but I didn't take offence. Of course this was with the extended ending DLC and battle for earth but overall I felt like it was a pretty decent way to conclude the series. I didn't really understand why Shepard had to die in the end but I guess that's just a minor point.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jan 2019 11:57:59 4,902 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nabbed Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time on a heavy discount in the Steam sale. I knew full well this had been pretty badly received, including by outlets normally friendly to anime-inspired games. I've only played a couple of hours and I can see how the fairly thin game mechanics are going to get dull very quickly.

But my god, it looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous. Not bad for just over a tenner.
  • Gunzberg 1 Jan 2019 16:15:39 2,661 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I've got RDR2 on my shopping list but I'm a bit cautious that it might be one of those games that is technically a marvel but whose gameplay becomes a chore through repetition and being too long. Basically that too much of what you do might turn into busywork
    same, after finishing AC Odyssey I will play some non open world stuff before picking up RDR2 in a month or two down the line
  • Blackmarsh63 1 Jan 2019 16:23:15 1,917 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    You've summed it up perfectly there.
  • Malek86 2 Jan 2019 10:25:02 8,046 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just started Celeste, because I don't have enough difficult platformers in my backlog already.

It reminds me very much of Towerclimb, without the procedurally generated levels and inventory and ceiling hanging and... ok well, it's definitely not the same, but there are similarities.

I wish I could use a keyboard because the directional pad in the X1 controller simply isn't that comfortable.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jan 2019 23:07:33 4,902 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ok, so, Little Witch Academia: The Chamber of Time is basically heartbreaking, in a bad way.

It has absolutely stellar production values. It looks like the anime. It sounds like the anime. It moves like the anime. It feels like an absolute labour of love.

But oh my word, the gameplay is riddled with flaws. It feels like somebody created a beautiful set of game assets, but farmed out the job of making a game to hang them off to the lowest bidder. Even that might be a bit unfair. There are loads of really good ideas. A novel core gameplay loop. A neat time-looping mechanic. An interesting-looking system for stats and spells.

But none of it works in practice. Seriously.
  • FIFAfan 3 Jan 2019 08:29:57 218 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Xbox Game Pass (been dipping into a couple of titles using the trial), FIFA 19 and F1 2018.

Game Pass is pretty good value isn't it? Though I'd like to see a single Gold + Game Pass sub option - pyschologically would make it seem less like I'd be paying twice for essentially the same thing (my Games With Gold 'ready to install' list is pretty sizeable in itself - though quality is generally lower).
  • Gunzberg 3 Jan 2019 09:44:28 2,661 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shadow Warrior 2, can not get enough of those Wang jokes! Such a delight!
  • Reacher 3 Jan 2019 17:45:54 2,798 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Warhammer Endtimes Vermintide 2.

Playing this with my brother and my mate, I'm enjoying it immensely. I wish there was more content despite the number of missions and the DLC's, but the gameplay is so satisfying and it'sd a good laugh on comms, that it makes me want to grind out every bit of it.
  • thedaveeyres 3 Jan 2019 18:17:47 13,752 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iím going to play God of War to the finish and Iím going to enjoy it if it fucking well kills me.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Jan 2019 22:41:35 4,902 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Reacher I pumped way, way too many hours into that last year. It's an excellent game. Dropped it after 284 hours because I was bored of the maps and frustrated by the level of RNG involved in Legend difficulty runs, but still one of my top 5 games of 2018.
  • OnlyJoeKing 3 Jan 2019 23:53:31 786 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally finished off Mario Odyssey today. Man, what a game, and what a nostalgia hit after the final boss.

The balloon hide & seek game is surprisingly tense too.
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Jan 2019 12:09:08 23,940 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Time to hit the backlog, concentrating on 360 mainly so:
    Just started Lego LOTR , in part due to article we had on EG. I have had it on the hd forever.
    Also:
    Cars 2
    Alien CM

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 15:22:57 04-01-2019
  • Humperfunk 4 Jan 2019 15:36:28 7,893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Going to finish Far Cry 5 tonight and thinking something short to play in the meantime between now and Tales of Vesperia next week, so think I may try and brave Soma (on "Safe" mode) bah.
  • chrisno21 4 Jan 2019 15:39:28 2,099 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SOMA is still great in Safe mode!
  • Humperfunk 4 Jan 2019 15:43:06 7,893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Haha superb, no way I could hack it otherwise!
  • Malek86 4 Jan 2019 16:28:02 8,046 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Soma is probably better in Safe mode, since the stealth bits were the worst parts of the game, felt really tacked on, and didn't work nearly as well as in Amnesia.

Chances are they only put them in because, after Penumbra and Amnesia, too many people were expecting horror elements from the devs.

Edited by Malek86 at 16:28:18 04-01-2019
  • ghearoid 4 Jan 2019 17:09:54 3,169 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii. Finally getting around to starting this years after buying it on release. I am dying tons! :)

Super Smash Bros Ultimate - I've unlocked all the fighters and cleared World of Light up to what seems to be the final boss.
  • Malek86 4 Jan 2019 17:14:14 8,046 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Celeste is pretty good, isn't it.

Definitely worth the price of a month of Gold, especially with the current deal.
  • Darth_Flibble 6 Jan 2019 11:18:47 3,247 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dreamfall Chapters

Its been a while since the last Dreamfall game (the last game was in 2006) and its great to go back and continue the story. Just met a robot called Shitbot, he is the most useless and annoying robot only 2nd to claptrap but shitbot is funnier.
  • JoelStinty 6 Jan 2019 12:48:33 7,133 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just started Horizon, done the first segment with young Aloy. Surprised how much i got drawn into her own motive for the rest of the game. Told well. Really impressed with the environment. Rocks are the new water in video games. Rocks in all games! Look forward to playing more.

Into the breach. Bit of a time sink this. Not that great at it, got to the the second island boss last night though. Good fun

Watchdog. Podcast game now, quite nice to listen away and hoover up collectibles. Some of the side stuff aint too bad either actually. Good variety.

Smash. Just putting in an half hour here and there and thats it. Enjoy those sessions but its all i need to play. Should last me months this game.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 6 Jan 2019 13:45:26 452 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just started Darksiders 2. Hmm, it's kinda like God of War mixed with Prince of Persia, innit?
    Liking it so far. Could be more... colorful though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Jan 2019 14:37:39 8,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Starting up a new playthrough of Hellblade inspired by the other thread about it.

It really is tremendous stuff.

Makes me want to swot up on Norse mythology properly too.
  • Tomo 6 Jan 2019 18:35:47 16,251 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Still playing PUBG Ė the new map is absolutely brilliant and now there are 4 of them, there is enough of a cycle that they always feel pretty fresh.

Anddd... Deep Rock Galactic. Seriously, if you like L4D or Vermintide, don't hesitate to buy this.

Have gone cold turkey on RDR2 somewhat - it's just so bloody big. Will revisit at some point I'm sure.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Jan 2019 09:37:42 4,902 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    About 8 hours into AC: Odyssey and enjoying it. Nearly finished my NG+ run in Super Robot Wars V.

But most of my time has been going into Mechanicus. I'm a good way through my first "proper" campaign now, with Necron awakening now just shy of 70%. I've managed to take out three of the bosses, which the forums suggest is reasonable progress for this level of awakening. Once you get the hang of the game, it isn't quite as punishing as I first thought. But it's certainly one of those games where falling behind the power curve can be long-term fatal (as happened in my first abortive attempt). Once you have a nicely upgraded squad of tech-priests with a good range of abilities and don't have to spend every turn desperately scrambling for cognition, the game really comes into its own.

It's the best game based on the WH40K licence for quite a while. At least since Battlefleet Gothic Armada and quite possibly as far back as Space Marine.
  • quadfather 7 Jan 2019 11:10:14 33,578 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finally completed Skyrim after about 8 years. Then finished rise of the tomb raider. Rdr2 is theoretically the next on my list but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for it.

I'm thinking maybe hellblade:senuas sacrifice, or maybe whizz through the resident evil 1 remake (again) before the re2 remaster turns up later this month
  • mrharvest 7 Jan 2019 18:26:36 5,584 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Finally completed Skyrim after about 8 years.
    How do you finish Skyrim? :o

I just started a new game over the weekend...
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Jan 2019 18:35:01 4,783 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @mrharvest amazingly there is a story...

I found this out last year, still not sure I believe it
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Jan 2019 18:35:01 4,783 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @mrharvest amazingly there is a story...

I found this out last year, still not sure I believe it

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.