Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 102

• quadfather 7 Jan 2019 18:54:09 33,960 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, I say finished, as aldiun is dead and the only things left now are the inexhaustible recurring quests and the odd place to find
  • wuntyphyve 7 Jan 2019 20:49:09 11,434 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dark Souls 3. New character. Going to solo all the damn bosses this time and then go on to plat the fucker. Did ds1 then DS2 in last six months so its ds3s turn now. Actually fired it up and remembered that I liked it more than I thought. Huzzah. This will tide me over to Sekiro.

Oh Iím also playing Nioh trying to finish the dlc.

May as well just take a bath in a tub full of bees.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 20:49:27 07-01-2019
  • BillMurray 7 Jan 2019 21:15:28 9,382 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Donut County. It's lovely.
  • Nanocrystal 8 Jan 2019 00:24:49 1,787 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Resident Evil 7 - Just a couple of hours in. Way less scary than PT, and a lot more like classic Resi than I expected. All the classic tropes are there, herbs, wolf head medallions, safe rooms, storage boxes. And lots and lots of over-the-top schlock. For some reason I thought it would be more radically different. Really enjoying it though! Was impressed when the first boss fight played out completely differently to a video I'd seen of it.

Dead Cells - Gradually improving at this as the controls sink into my muscle memory. Plays wonderfully. Dropping some traps down and letting them do the work is really satisfying. A perfect game for a quick 20 min blast. Having to hold down a button to heal is a bitch during boss fights though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Jan 2019 00:42:20 9,479 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Well, I say finished, as aldiun is dead and the only things left now are the inexhaustible recurring quests and the odd place to find
    I really liked Skyrim's main quest once it ramped up towards its final few chapters.

Very underrated part of the game, the storytelling.
  • Malek86 8 Jan 2019 15:45:39 8,259 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just completed chapter 6 in Celeste. I feel like we're getting close to the end. But I'm not sure, because sometimes it seems to me that this game really likes to stretch itself as thin as possible.
  • mrharvest 9 Jan 2019 02:14:59 5,586 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My favourite part of Skyrim was the Dragonborn DLC. I felt like it had much better mood than the base game. But recently I played Project AHO mod and damn if that wasn't the best content I've seen in the game.
  • Roastinglbs 9 Jan 2019 04:04:53 17 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Castlevania LoS 2, surprisingly good
  • Nitrous 9 Jan 2019 05:49:52 1,777 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FarCry 5 (PS4)

Just taken over my 1st region (John's) although I must have tried around 15 times trying to exit that bunker. I'm probably going to take faiths next but unsure if I can be bothered as I feel like I've already seen everything this game has to offer now.
  • RighteousPickle 9 Jan 2019 09:09:12 105 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Yooka-Lalie and I'm enjoying it more than God of War, probably because it's Banjo-kazooie. I don't know what was on Jim Sterlings tits giving it 2 out of 10, and the rest of the bad reviews. A rehash of a universally acclaimed, if dated, game doesn't magically become shit.
  • StixxUK 12 Jan 2019 21:18:04 8,102 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • StixxUK 12 Jan 2019 21:18:05 8,102 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just started The Red Strings Club and it's pretty good so far. Defintely something different. Is this what they call a "visual novel"? Seems to have just enough game in it to qualify as an adventure.

Love the art, love the writing, love the music. It's very well done, I'd recommend it based on the strength of the first hour (especially as I got it for free on Twitch in their Prime week thing or whatever it was where they gave away a bunch of indie games).
  • Rodney 12 Jan 2019 21:44:54 3,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Im playing Far Cry 3 Classic , and enjoying it way mor than I did Far Cry 5 for some reason. Although Im bored of the Ubisoft formula generally, I think the game structure is better in Far Cry 3
  • drhickman1983 12 Jan 2019 22:12:40 5,724 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Assassins Creed Origins

Really rather enjoying this. Not doing much different from the standard AC template but Egypt is pretty well realised, and I like the characters. The game feels a bit more RPG inflected than the previous games I've played, and the combat feels quite nice.

Not that far through (played about 10 hours), but this might be my 2nd favourite AC after Brotherhood. Depending how it progresses might even top that.

Octopath Traveller

Also really enjoying this. I like how much of an old school JRPG it is, but also having it's own ideas. The 8 stories are pretty much seperate, so it does feel like playing sidequests rather than a main game, but the scope of the stories is quite refreshing, as it's not faffing about with some end-of-the-world bollocks, instead having much smaller personal stories (at least thus far, again still quite early).
  • FatSternKikwi 12 Jan 2019 22:47:16 1,689 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RighteousPickle It really isnít as good as Banjo. Plays like a bad copy that has none of the charm or fun level design of the original. I love banjo and replayed it this year and its still great (if dated). My partner also enjoyed banjo a ton more and she has no nostalgia having never previously played it.
  • Tomo 13 Jan 2019 11:14:48 16,439 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Booted up Sundered on my Steam Link last night. Not sure about it... Looks pretty nice. Movement is okay, but the way enemies are randomly spaffed at you isnt very satisfying. Also don't feel like I have many options other than to role around a lot, but maybe I just need to level up. Also, I feel Dead Cells maybe have spoiled these games for me, as that's so damn good.
  • Tomo 13 Jan 2019 11:21:04 16,439 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:

Octopath Traveller

Also really enjoying this. I like how much of an old school JRPG it is, but also having it's own ideas. The 8 stories are pretty much seperate, so it does feel like playing sidequests rather than a main game, but the scope of the stories is quite refreshing, as it's not faffing about with some end-of-the-world bollocks, instead having much smaller personal stories (at least thus far, again still quite early).
    Which older JRPGs is it closest to? I would love to get lost in one again, but I bounce off them nowadays usually. Not really found one I've loved since FFX came out. Thought Xenoblade Chronicles might do it when I had that on 3DS but the characters and story were terrible. I find most JRPGs recycle similar irritating immature characters with tedious love stories and bad writing, so I'm intrigued when you say the stories are quite refreshing?
  • Rodderz 13 Jan 2019 11:40:42 3,704 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dying Light - The Following - Enhanced Edition.

I've fancied giving Dying Light a go for a while after having played the demo a few years back, so I bought the complete version in the current Jan sale on PSN.

I have to say that this is way better than I thought it was going to be, even if it is proving to be pretty damn hard in the early game. It looks like it's got a pretty good RPG-lite style progression system as well as a crafting system to make use of the things you find in the environment.

Given that it plays out in a first person perspective I think the leaping across rooftops and grappling edges has also been done really well. I haven't felt the game has let me down when I knew I could make a jump and have been punished accordingly when I've tried leaping just a bit too far :) looking forward to seeing where this goes.
  • ghearoid 13 Jan 2019 11:50:41 3,187 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Valkyria Chronicles 4 Switch - I was delighted to get this for Christmas and I'm very much enjoying it so far. I like the characters, story and general presentation. I'm not one for shooting games but taking out enemies with a head shot usually elicits a "yaasss, die you fecker!" which is very unlike me. :)

Xenoblade Chronicles Wii - yes, I finally opened my release day copy and started playing at Christmas. I completed XC2 last year plus the Torna expansion and really wanted more so I figured it was high time I cracked on with the original. It's so good!

These two should keep me busy until the Spring.
  • drhickman1983 13 Jan 2019 13:05:15 5,724 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tomo

Bare in mind that I've only just started each of the stories, so there's still plenty of time for it to go bad, but when I said it was refreshing it's more that each character has there own motivations, and none of the characters annoy me. Though you are still dealing with archetypes.

Each story seems pretty separate, they don't really link up (thus far) and if I have one quibble its that there's no real reason for most of the characters to join up.

It might just be because I played it fairly recently, but having no central character makes it feel a bit like FF6 to me, maybe.

I think the writing is fairly decent, not up there with something like The Witcher but compared to most RPGS of this type its pretty solid. Though one of the character does speak in an olde-english manner, which is fine as nobody else does but if you start with her you might think the writing is going to be really grating.

Turn the voice acting off, though.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Jan 2019 14:32:06 5,250 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just started Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight. Rhythm games aren't really my thing, but the Persona 5 soundtrack was amazing. Rivers in the Desert *sniffle*.
  • Tomo 13 Jan 2019 15:13:31 16,439 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @drhickman1983

Hmm, interesting thanks. Expect I'll pass, but good to know if it's ever super cheap. Can't imagine that being the case mind, as it's a relatively obscure Switch title.
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Jan 2019 15:31:22 5,642 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It'll go down in price, for sure. I'm pretty sure it's sales are over a million, so it's hardly rare.

Edit - Apparently its on par with Xenoblade 2.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 15:34:41 13-01-2019
  • Tomo 13 Jan 2019 15:53:47 16,439 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Million? Wow. Thought it was strictly for neckbeards.
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Jan 2019 19:07:39 5,642 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That reminds me. I need to shave.
  • RighteousPickle 13 Jan 2019 19:10:18 105 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    FatSternKikwi wrote:
    @RighteousPickle It really isnít as good as Banjo. Plays like a bad copy that has none of the charm or fun level design of the original. I love banjo and replayed it this year and its still great (if dated). My partner also enjoyed banjo a ton more and she has no nostalgia having never previously played it.
    Yes it hasn't got as much charm, but it's practically identical gameplay wise. Meh, I'm finding it as stupidly addictive to collect everything as before, and it sold reasonably well anyway.
  • Malek86 13 Jan 2019 20:06:08 8,259 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Since I still have a couple weeks of Xbox Gold, I started playing The Turing Test, which was given away several months ago.

It's actually quite good, I was expecting a basic Portal clone but it's more interesting than that. If the puzzles don't become too difficult, I should be able to see this to the end.
  • XtraCheese 13 Jan 2019 20:19:32 130 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Too many games. Too too many games.

Does it also get to the point for anybody else where the back log gets just too big it puts you off gaming all together?

Iíve sorted my games into folders on the PS4 and thereís just too much on the go. Stellar RPGs to finish such as the Witcher, kingdom come and divinity... along with first party big hitters Iíve not scratched the surface on such as Spider-Man and god of war. I keep buying games but Iím working more than ever now so Iím not sure why I keep copping them?

My Switch is also getting some financial backing with numerous indie hits and the likes of smash bros and Pokemon go which are both gathering dust.

I think I blame black ops 4 for taking up my attention after work....
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Jan 2019 20:56:39 5,642 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You need to join Phattso's thread! I personally make a rule of not buying anything if I've got more than a couple of games in the backlog. It works out much cheaper in the long run, too.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.