Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Pipedream
    Gears 3 is immense :)
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Apr 2019 13:37:07 24,255 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Started CoD WWII.Xbox

I bought it (stupidly cheap) for the campaign, however I jumped into Nazi Zombies for an hour. Great fun. Then Hordepoint, which was ace, then some Domination...finally starting the campaign, which although only 30 mins in (D-Day) has been brilliant.
    If I stopped playing now, I have had my monies worth :)
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Apr 2019 13:57:38 5,955 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dragon quest builders.... is fun but the day/night cycle is very annoying.
  • rice_sandwich 10 Apr 2019 15:20:12 5,327 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wizard of Legend, where I had one of the quickest game over screens of any game in recent memory. I start the game and within seconds the first mob appears. I accidentally dash right into a corner and get trapped. The mob piles into me and I can't cast any spells or escape due to taking constant damage. Game over in 29 seconds 😁
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Apr 2019 16:05:10 24,255 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Game over in 29 seconds 😁
    Just like your lovemaking ?
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Apr 2019 16:25:18 5,955 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Wizard of Legend, where I had one of the quickest game over screens of any game in recent memory. I start the game and within seconds the first mob appears. I accidentally dash right into a corner and get trapped. The mob piles into me and I can't cast any spells or escape due to taking constant damage. Game over in 29 seconds 😁
    Just wait til the 3rd tier, you get rushed like that ALOT
  • rice_sandwich 10 Apr 2019 16:36:37 5,327 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

Hey, 29 seconds is something to aim for!
  • FussyDuck 10 Apr 2019 17:28:30 213 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Picked up a physical copy of Mega Man 11 today.

Best the Rock dude, was a fair challenge.

Another feather in the cap of Capcom's renaissance, jolly good.
  • Malek86 13 Apr 2019 06:10:56 8,307 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I must admit, the nature of Majora's Mask makes it hard to play unless you have a ton of time to spare. I only got as far as I did (end of the second dungeon) because I had some sick days.

Maybe I'll be able to play in the weekends, if I'm not grinding Destiny 2.
  • SonShine 15 Apr 2019 11:24:31 20 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    Hollow Knight has some teeth doesn't it? I wasn't expecting it after the rather gentle start, but good stuff. I'm getting addicted now.
  • Oldsheppy 15 Apr 2019 17:27:35 35 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Decided to leave Assassins creed odyssey for the time being (maybe forever?) played about 60 odd hours and don't feel like I'm getting very far. So started Dead cells on the switch, played about 10 hours over the weekend, absolutely love it, the map being randomised the weapons you need to unlock and find. Superb stuff so far.
  • Darth_Flibble 16 Apr 2019 09:15:05 3,366 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thought I would try the new GwG game Outcast: second contact (as the game was available yesterday) I know its low budget game but fucking hell its shit. The v/o for the main guy is weirdly compressed and its very wooden. It controls like a game from 1999 (but with better graphics) The jumping and aiming is a mess, its like the devs have never played a game before.

After doing the boring tutorial, I had to talk to the village elder 5 times to get him to walk to the portal and active it (his speech is long) I know its been patched since launch, some how this shit got recommended from EG!
  • Malek86 16 Apr 2019 13:21:29 8,307 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote: It controls like a game from 1999 (but with better graphics)
    Guess what it is.

I think the devs originally wanted to make a sequel, but couldn't get the funds, so opted for a remaster. It's a shame they didn't fix any of the control issues from the original though.

As for gameplay, it was pretty innovative for 1999 all things considered, but even then for the most part it was a bunch of fetch quests with some phoned-in moral choices to make (we can consider it a predecessor of modern gaming then). And it can't have aged too well.

Edited by Malek86 at 13:22:13 16-04-2019
  • Darth_Flibble 16 Apr 2019 15:42:51 3,366 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote: It controls like a game from 1999 (but with better graphics)
    Guess what it is.

I think the devs originally wanted to make a sequel, but couldn't get the funds, so opted for a remaster. It's a shame they didn't fix any of the control issues from the original though.

As for gameplay, it was pretty innovative for 1999 all things considered, but even then for the most part it was a bunch of fetch quests with some phoned-in moral choices to make (we can consider it a predecessor of modern gaming then). And it can't have aged too well.
    Its actually a remake not a remaster
  • Malek86 18 Apr 2019 11:35:03 8,307 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    God, the Zora portion in MM was such a slog. An intro full of counter-intuitive puzzles and fetch questing, with annoying controls, plus a terrible boss at the end of a terrible dungeon.

I ended up using a guide most of the way through the dungeon. Perhaps I could have managed without, but the constant looming threat of resetting the cycle and losing all my progress made me choose otherwise.

It was a fun mechanic at first, but now it's getting just annoying. I'm tempted to drop the game, but with only one dungeon missing, I might as well see it until the end.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Apr 2019 12:42:56 5,442 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My current active playlist is something like this:

Forza Horizon 4: The changes to how seasons work (new playlists, seasonal rewards etc) have got me back into this. I feel a bit guilty over having been suckered in by a "games as a service" mechanic, but on the other hand, this one isn't stuffed with microtransactions.

Far Cry 5: Enjoying this way more than I thought I would (skipped it at launch, picked it up cheap in a sale). About 20 hours in and still going strong. I've not really stuck with a Far Cry game properly since the PC original, but I like this one. I think the relative lack of grindy busy-work (hunting/gathering less important than in previous installments) helps, as does the Borderlands 2-style outlandishness of some of the characters and missions.

Metro Exodus: A little bit back-burnered at the moment, as I'd hit a slow section and Far Cry 5 currently has its open-world shooter hooks into me, but I keep coming back to it, not least because the graphics are so jaw-dropping.

Super Robot Wars T: My current Sunday-afternoon game. Not sure annualisation has worked for this franchise - seeing a lot of assets re-used for the third game in a row is a bit frustrating. The series-list is disappointing (some fun shows like Cross Ange and shows with interesting mecha-mechanics like Buddy Complex got dropped, while Zeta and ZZ Gundam get their third bloody outing in a row), but it compensates for that with more of a focus on the original story this time around. Gameplay mostly unchanged from the previous two games - standard SRPG stuff. The new franchise additions (including Cowboy Bebop, Expelled from Paradise, Captain Harlock and Magic Knight Rayearth) don't quite compensate for some of what we've lost, but do at least show a welcome willingness to go even further away from traditional mecha franchises.

Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2: Finished the Necron campaign in co-op (which is stable now after a few patches) and pushing into the third and final campaign, the Tyrannids. A fourth story-campaign is due as DLC, but not until summer, so suspect I'm nearly done with this for the time being.

Borderlands (remastered HD version): I loved Borderlands 2, but never actually clicked with the original first time around. Finding it much easier to get along with the game courtesy of the technical and quality of life updates stemming from the recent remaster.
  • Red_Bool 18 Apr 2019 13:17:18 1,756 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Malek86 - You know the song to slow time, right? That should give you plenty of time for any dungeon.

Funny game this. When I originally bought it on the N64 I didn't like it much (coming straight from Ocarina this was not what I wanted). Having played it again on the 3DS when it came out it's become one of my favourite games ever.
    The fun for me was getting all the masks. (Which I did. I only needed a guide for one obscure part).
  • DUFFMAN5 18 Apr 2019 13:23:44 24,255 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Starting Call of Cthulhu later today. Fancied playing for a while, it dropped to 20 on Amazon this week, so it is got :)
  • Mola_Ram 18 Apr 2019 13:24:23 19,515 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm playing Warriors Orochi 4.

It's a Musou game, so you know what to expect really. It has 170(!) playable characters, so I am probably not going to get bored for a good while. It's good to have as a break from games that require more thinking.
  • Theshape80 18 Apr 2019 13:48:06 150 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    World war Z. Those missing left for dead should give it a try. Bags of fun!
  • Nellie62 19 Apr 2019 05:31:03 2 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 days ago
  • Graxlar_v3 19 Apr 2019 06:07:26 5,955 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nellie62 wrote:
    Just a bit
  • Malek86 19 Apr 2019 11:27:25 8,307 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    @Malek86 - You know the song to slow time, right? That should give you plenty of time for any dungeon.

Funny game this. When I originally bought it on the N64 I didn't like it much (coming straight from Ocarina this was not what I wanted). Having played it again on the 3DS when it came out it's become one of my favourite games ever.
    The fun for me was getting all the masks. (Which I did. I only needed a guide for one obscure part).
    I think the 3DS version has some quality of life enhancements that make it more playable? Unfortunately I'm playing the actual N64 cartridge.
  • whatthefu 19 Apr 2019 20:13:25 1,180 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:

Someone said Twilight Princess is the worst 3D Zelda, but for me it's MM.
    Like yourself I was so excited to play it after OoT and I couldn't get on with it. I remember forgetting a pass code for a certain part of the map and I just got fed up and never went back.

I also didn't like TP on first go, so I wonder if I should try again, I think MM is a lot of peoples' favourite 3D Zelda.
  • Red_Bool 19 Apr 2019 21:17:50 1,756 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Malek86 The original also had the song to slow time play the song of time backwards (not sure if that needs spoilers after so much years :))
    There is a similar trick to speed up time, which is very useful when you need to wait for certain events to happen.
  • Red_Bool 19 Apr 2019 21:24:08 1,756 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @whatthefu actually skyward sword is my least favourite 3D Zelda (I still own it, so perhaps I should retry it as well)
    The thing about MM is expectations I guess. The first time I really did not like the time pressure and the lack of dungeons.
    The second time I knew what I was getting into, so my mindset was different. It almost becomes a puzzle / management game :)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Apr 2019 23:11:15 9,655 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As much as I love The Messenger having a boss where you need to learn their attack pattern to win (fine) and use the environment to dodge their attacks (also fine) have an environment that changes with each attempt so that attempts it is impossible to dodge the boss's attacks is cheap as fuck.

I mean sure git gud and trial and error and all that but just screwing the player over every few attempts is shitty.

(The rest of the game remains excellent)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.