What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 110

• Dombat 30 Apr 2019 13:02:56 1,563 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been needing a new main single player game to play since completing RDR2 about a month ago - been dipping in and out of fighting games, racing games etc mostly and no story based games have stuck.

Finally started playing Nier Automata at the weekend (plucking it out of my daunting backlog of current gen games) and I love it so far. Can't remember the last Japanese story driven game that has impressed me this much and at an early stage.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Apr 2019 13:12:06 5,825 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    I've been needing a new main single player game to play since completing RDR2 about a month ago - been dipping in and out of fighting games, racing games etc mostly and no story based games have stuck.

Finally started playing Nier Automata at the weekend (plucking it out of my daunting backlog of current gen games) and I love it so far. Can't remember the last Japanese story driven game that has impressed me this much and at an early stage.
    Nier Automata is awesome. Would probably make my list of the top 5 games of the generation. Be warned, though, that the pacing can be uneven, particularly in the early stages when there's no fast travel unlocked and you don't quite know your way around the slightly strange world layout. Persevere and it is worth it.
  • DUFFMAN5 30 Apr 2019 13:15:11 24,525 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Dombat wrote:

Nier Automata is awesome. Would probably make my list of the top 5 games of the generation. Be warned, though, that the pacing can be uneven, particularly in the early stages when there's no fast travel unlocked and you don't quite know your way around the slightly strange world layout. Perve and it is worth it.
    ;)

also, it is a crime now, so behave yourself!

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 13:15:57 30-04-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 30 Apr 2019 13:26:08 6,716 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Dombat wrote:

Nier Automata is awesome. Would probably make my list of the top 5 games of the generation. Be warned, though, that the pacing can be uneven, particularly in the early stages when there's no fast travel unlocked and you don't quite know your way around the slightly strange world layout. Perve and it is worth it.
    ;)

also, it is a crime now, so behave yourself!
    Its also a trophy so...

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 13:26:13 30-04-2019
  • Dombat 30 Apr 2019 13:59:56 1,563 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Dombat wrote:

Nier Automata is awesome. Would probably make my list of the top 5 games of the generation. Be warned, though, that the pacing can be uneven, particularly in the early stages when there's no fast travel unlocked and you don't quite know your way around the slightly strange world layout. Persevere and it is worth it.
    I quite like exploring so far, which is unusual for me because I find the barren (semi) open worlds that modern JRPGs are prone to having are usually dull. In this case it absolutely suits the narrative and tone of the game.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Apr 2019 14:04:32 5,825 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Dombat Nier Automata's world is pretty damned small by open world game standards and absolutely not clustered with the usual Ubisoft item-spam. That said, you can expect to spend quite a lot of time backtracking in the early stages. If I had one wish about that game, it would be that fast travel should have unlocked quicker.
  • whatthefu 30 Apr 2019 18:27:58 1,217 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I see Nier Automata is reduced to 22.50 on Steam.
    Did they fix the performance on the PC version?
  • Malek86 30 Apr 2019 18:47:52 8,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm getting on better with Prey now. After acquiring a few upgrades, navigation is so much easier.

The SS2 vibes are strong, the game feels much closer to it than Bioshock ever did. It even manages to remind me of SS1, which is pretty rare nowadays. I like it better than Dishonored 1/2 for sure, but on the other hand, the story feels a bit aimless so far. Suppose I just need to get around a bit more.

Edited by Malek86 at 18:49:21 30-04-2019
  • Darth_Flibble 1 May 2019 18:54:03 3,420 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Resident evil 5 (xbox one gamepass)

Played it ages ago on 360 but on co-op, tried it with the AI and it was shit.
    Maybe i was mis-remembering how bad the AI was, Nope.

But The new port does fuck all to fix the crayon munching AI. Sheva will stand on the way of the axe guy on chapter 1.1 and just die. She will hoover up a lot of bullets and herbs and the AI can't shoot and wastes bullets.

It takes all the worst bits of RE4 (only few bits) but triples down on them, more shooting, more QTE with forced co-op. Don't forget boulder punching.

Lost in nigthmares DLC is better than the main game from what I remember, shame it didn't have RE1 zombies
  • MadCaddy13 1 May 2019 20:11:29 3,027 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Metro Exodus on PS4

Deeply underwhelmed so far. Controls are dogshite, the loading times are truly woeful, the voicing is really poor, laggy and confusing. I was lost for ages at the church looking for the boat to escape until I abandoned it.
    Might just abandon and move on
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 May 2019 13:59:19 5,825 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    whatthefu wrote:
    Officially, no. There is a third party mod (should be linked on the Steam forum) that will make things much nicer, though. That said, it's still a pretty demanding game on the hardware at times.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 May 2019 22:54:17 5,825 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So I moved onto Far Cry New Dawn. It's more Far Cry 5 (yay) and it's pretty as hell, but...

FUCKING HELL. This thing is not subtle about trying to push microtransactions down your throat. I know pay-to-win MTs were in FC5, but I never felt they were particularly pushed on me. In FC5, the early-game felt like I was always starved of resources and just about surviving... which felt good. Then somewhere around the midpoint, I hit a tipping point and had more than enough cash to buy whatever I wanted.

In New Dawn, it just feels like they've massively expanded the resource-gathering side of the game and upped the health/damage of enemies to push you hard into MTs. I'm not going to bite and it is pissing me off.
  • Nitrous 3 May 2019 23:37:34 1,796 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble

Tip for you. Give her nothing but the stick to use.
    Then use her to carry spare ammo. I seem to remember it being just about playable doing that.

Currently playing Ghost recon wildlands on xbox one. A mate asked me to play co-op and it immediately made it alot more enjoyable. Only got it while the free weekend play is on.

Edited by Nitrous at 23:40:51 03-05-2019
  • Some_Goats 4 May 2019 07:56:19 91 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rocket League. I literally started yesterday and it drew me in like games rarely do these days.

It made me late for meeting my mate at the pub and I am never usually late.
  • Darth_Flibble 4 May 2019 17:39:49 3,420 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Nitrous

Thanks, give her the sniper rifle but will try the baton as well
  • Malek86 4 May 2019 19:21:48 8,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Prey just never ends, does it? I'm at almost 18 hours, and though I'm pretty sure the ending (one of the multiple endings?) is close, I feel like the game has outstayed its welcome for a long while now.
  • Cadence 5 May 2019 10:49:17 2,300 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    whatthefu wrote:
    Its called the FAR mod and is pretty much essential. It let's you adjust things like the global illumination which really helps the framerate. Sorry you probably already have it installed at this point!
  • Malek86 12 May 2019 19:59:55 8,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Started Wolfenstein 2, downloaded it with the Game Pass deal and all that.

Got to the end of the third level (after you destroy the radio hidden in the U-Boat), and I have to agree with everyone that the combat feedback is horrible. At times I just died because some guy was shooting me from behind and I didn't notice. After so many months, it's impressive that they never fix the problem.

There's also a distinct feel of detachment between the gameplay, where you mow down anyone without even blinking, and the cutscenes and dialogue, where everyone sounds like they want to kill themselves already. Cheer up, for god's sake. I'm solving all your problems, please stop moping all day long. And that includes Blazkowicz too, his constant muttering to himself is starting to get on my nerves. On a side note, that cutscene where Frau Engel kills the old lady was actually pretty funny rather than tense. If your daughter is so annoying to you, why do you insist on bringing her around? Oh yeah, gotta mention that you read her diary too. I could swear I was watching some teen drama.

The game looks extremely soft on Xbox One, and doesn't seem all that smooth either. Can't even imagine how it plays on the Switch.

Still, I'm already at 21%. Barring some ridiculous difficulty spike, it should be worth completing. At least the movement is less nauseating than TNO.

Edited by Malek86 at 20:02:43 12-05-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 May 2019 20:22:19 5,825 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 Sorry, but those ridiculous difficulty spikes are coming. The game's well known for them.

I didn't like New Colossus. The gunplay wasn't a patch on New Order (that lack of damage feedback) and all of the problems you highlight with the writing are spot on (and things are going to get worse, not better).
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 May 2019 20:25:43 10,229 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just starting a PS Now trial to play Ico having just played through The Last Guardian.

I'd not played any Team Ico games before this gen so this will be my first time with Ico itself.
  • Dombat 12 May 2019 23:58:54 1,563 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got lots of games on the go at the moment. Would be too many but I've had a lot of gaming time lately.

PS4: Pillars of Eternity, Nier Automata, Dead or Alive 6 (amazed I'm still playing this), GT Sport
    Xbox One: Dishonored 2, Soul Calibur VI, Apex Legends
    Switch: Mario Odyssey, Smash Ultimate

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.