What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 117

• Darth_Flibble 2 Aug 2019 11:04:36 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rage 2

The combat is excellent as its by ID, and feels just like doom. Its so good and the weapons feel good when using them. The shotgun is really fun to use as enemies going flying back but the open world missions are very generic, go here and kill these bandit at their camps. Also you need to do a number of side missions for your main mission providers to do the next mission. Just got all 3 up to level 5

I got it for 」20 off ebay and its worth it for that price
  • quadfather 2 Aug 2019 14:42:35 34,671 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm giving doom 3 a go on the PS4. Pretty good stuff. Good conversion.
  • wuntyphyve 2 Aug 2019 16:50:41 12,429 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I致e been playing it all week it痴 beautiful
  • quadfather 2 Aug 2019 17:11:59 34,671 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

I immediately fell off the landing platform as soon as I left the shuttle. Good times.

How are you handling the aiming with the pad? I'm wasting a lot of ammo at the moment being a bit of a spacker.
  • wuntyphyve 2 Aug 2019 18:18:43 12,429 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather but of course you did!

I知 finding it okay tbh. I知 keeping auto aim on though...

I知 in hell now. Forgot how awesome these bits are.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 18:44:16 02-08-2019
  • kentmonkey 2 Aug 2019 18:39:26 23,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just started Onrush.

Liked the first hour, the subsequent 90 mins have been a bit.... repetitive. And I don't really feel like I'm always contributing that much. Not really sure it's for me.

About an hour in to Hollow Knight as well. It's alright thus far, but can see flashes of how this might turn into something great, and hoping that it does.
  • welshben1982 2 Aug 2019 19:08:59 1,297 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Just started Onrush.

Liked the first hour, the subsequent 90 mins have been a bit.... repetitive.
    And I don't really feel like I'm always contributing that much. Not really sure it's for me.

About an hour in to Hollow Knight as well. It's alright thus far, but can see flashes of how this might turn into something great, and hoping that it does.
    The next 5 hours..10 hours..ad infinitum are exactly the same. :-)
  • Malek86 3 Aug 2019 17:43:00 8,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Metro Exodus on Xbox One.

It started out very slow, but I just met the mechanic and hopefully it will let me do as I please from now on. I like the faux realism of the weapons and all those other systems, but the stealth is laughable.

Looks pretty great even on the standard console, gets a bit soft at times but nowhere near Wolfenstein 2 levels, and the framerate holds pretty well too. I could be playing on PC at 1080p and 60fps, but... I've tried the Windows 10 version, and it seemed to have some annoying issues with starting and loading. Nevermind then.
  • kentmonkey 3 Aug 2019 17:56:13 23,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    welshben1982 wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Just started Onrush.

Liked the first hour, the subsequent 90 mins have been a bit.... repetitive.
    And I don't really feel like I'm always contributing that much. Not really sure it's for me.

The next 5 hours..10 hours..ad infinitum are exactly the same. :-)
    Uh-oh. Might need to re-evaluate that one then! 😀
  • Sirkrol 4 Aug 2019 13:25:55 1 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    Outer Wilds
    I play PUBG for 2 months daily. Although sometimes I play gambling. For example, mr bet table games is very like me. I often win money over $ 100 in a couple of hours.

Edited by Sirkrol at 06:21:08 05-08-2019
  • quadfather 4 Aug 2019 13:56:13 34,671 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    @quadfather but of course you did!

I知 finding it okay tbh. I知 keeping auto aim on though...

I知 in hell now. Forgot how awesome these bits are.
    Yeah I've settled into it now. Just have to accept I can't pull off head shots as well. Just got to delta labs so it's heating up a bit now.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Aug 2019 15:25:49 6,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finished a few games and started a few new ones. Current live-list is:

Total War: Three Kingdoms (PC): Co-op partner and I felt pretty much done with Monster Hunter World, so this is next. Only just getting started on it, really. We're both veterans from the Warhammer games, but this is pretty different.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) - About 24 Hours into a Black Dragons playthrough. Like it for the most part, but the tactical combat could do with an extra layer or two to it, while the technical side of things is pretty poor and reminding me that I don't much like the Switch.

Super Robot Wars X (PS4) - Finished SRWT and just grabbed the platinum from SRWV, so starting the NG+ run (and probably going for the platinum) in X now.

Slay the Spire (PC) - Part of this month's Humble Monthly. Played a couple of hours of the base game and got bored - roguelikes and deck-builders not really my thing. Then found the Senshi and Kaleid Liner mods which are insanely well done, so going to push on with it using those.

Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 (PC) - Gone back to this for the new Chaos campaign. Seems decent so far. Blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne! Let the galaxy burn!

Edited by Rogueywon at 15:25:58 04-08-2019
  • DrStrangelove 4 Aug 2019 15:52:13 14,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Started playing Skyrim again. First thought meh it's kinda boring, but somehow it's still good enough for some chill-out time sink. Still some fun stuff there, but also some that feels pretty bad today, especially narrative/dialogue/voice acting.

What may have been unsteady and not quite up there anymore back in the days (it was released between Mass Effect 2 and 3) feels archaic today.

All the dialogue I hear feels like it was done by people who used to do on-screen text dialogue in 90s RPGs. I always imagine it as on-screen text and in that way it kinda makes sense. But the final product feels like some game developer (not a professional writer) wrote that sort of dialogue and later someone else was told to record all that. Scenes would seem fine with on-screen text that feel pretty awkward with voice actors reciting those lines without any noticeable commitment.

And the sheer amount of dialogue that comes with this probably prevented any attention on delivery. If you have to record thousands of lines with a single voice actor, there's probably not much time for several takes or attention to detail. Read it, got it, next one. Skyrim's quantity is still astonishing, but it certainly comes at a cost to quality sometimes. Some of the voice acting isn't bad actually, but a lot of it is throwaway and some of it is comically bad.

It's similar for the writing itself--it feels archaic. It still feels like some ancient PC RPG where the game developers did the writing. It's just flat and uninspired most of the time.

There's no denying Witcher 3 has upped the game immensely. You can feel W3 was made with a more cinematic mindset, instead of giving any random citizen dozens of throwaway dialogue lines they focussed on writing and delivery where it counts. They also did an excellent job with accents, another thing that's comically flat in Skyrim.

In some areas you can excuse Skyrim in this comparison because it was a PS3/X360 game and W3 was next-gen. And truth be told, for all its technical issues it was an absolute marvel that it ran on those consoles at all.

Yet that's also where it gets concerning. Fallout 4 was a next-gen game too, it was released after W3, yet the graphics were disappointing and most of all, writing/dialogue/voice acting didn't catch up. Actually they were worse than Skyrim's. Skyrim was flawed but it still managed to have some halfway interesting narrative here and there. Fallout 4's narrative/dialogue/everything is insubstantial and throwaway on a level that makes Skyrim look like cinematic masterclass.

So yeah, I'm still enjoying myself in Skyrim despite its flaws, but I'm not sure if I should feel good about TES6. They must do something but I'm not sure they're willing and able to.
  • kentmonkey 4 Aug 2019 16:15:36 23,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ashes Cricket (Xbox gamepass)

Surprisingly good. Once I got used to the bowling controls.

Bowled Australia out for 47, hit 198 myself, but Aussies are now 179-4 second innings, with 1.5 days left to play. Might be tight.

I think it'll play better as a 50 over game, which would suit me anyway, so once I've finished this first ashes game that's what I'll do.

There are, however, a number of quirks and bugs. It really smacks of low budget. Just one example, if your fielder is chasing the ball and manages to catch up with it anywhere within about six-eight feet of the boundary, his momentum and extended arm when throwing it back will take it out for four. I've lost about 20 runs in this match alone just to that bug. Fielding in general is by far the weakest and buggiest part of the game.

Still it's scratching the cricket itch and I'm enjoying it.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Aug 2019 16:16:06 20,831 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To the potential of Bethesda changing the way they make their RPGs...

They won't. They've been making essentially the same game since Oblivion, and aren't going to change now, as there's no reason to. Sales are good, and anything that's wrong with their games will be fixed by mods (unless you play on console).

Edited by Mola_Ram at 16:30:57 04-08-2019
  • HelloNo 4 Aug 2019 16:26:30 2,114 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Baldur's Gate 2 - playing as a Ranger (archer)

AC odyssey: Atlantis part 3. While the environment itself is astoundingly good looking and the story quite fun, having to run around finding stuff is a pain, especially as you need to do so to further the story.

Elite Dangerous: I play this like Euro Truck In Space, a nice way to wind down and I rarely get shot at.

Crypt of the Necrodancer: One of these days I'll beat the 4th stage.
  • DrStrangelove 4 Aug 2019 16:34:10 14,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    To the potential of Bethesda changing the way they make their RPGs...

They won't. They've been making the same game since Oblivion, and aren't going to change now. Sales are good, and that's what counts.
    I don't think I fully agree with that--Skyrim was a significant improvement on Oblivion. Replay these games today, Skyrim is still playable, Oblivion not so much. But I see the point, Skyrim does what Oblivion does, only better. It's mostly perfected that particular formula. But that won't be enough anymore in the future.

Fallout 4 still sold well, but the critical reception was lukewarm, far worse than Skyrim. Reputation among players has gone down considerably too. Skyrim once established Bethesda as on top, Fallout 4 established them as meh. A lot of Fallout 4's commercial success was thanks to Skyrim and Fallout 3, but that won't work anymore for their next game.

If they're not completely blind (and I doubt they are) they'll know they have to do something. My concern about TES6 is less that they do the same shit again but that they'll try to somehow go with the times and fail.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Aug 2019 16:51:37 20,831 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

They're not *exactly* the same games, but their problems (bad character animations, bad voice acting, poor writing, unimaginative quest design, terrible UI) have been consistent for a long time now. And I say this as someone who liked Skyrim. Not as much as you do, but I liked it.

I don't think they have any desire to change those things about their games, because their fans don't appear to care. Maybe the acclaim that W3 got will put a fire under them. But I hoped that looking at New Vegas would teach them how to write... and then we got Fallout 4. Which afaik is their most popular title to date.

I don't think review scores will affect it either, though maybe the below-85 Metacritic rating for Fallout 4 meant that they didn't give themselves a bonus?
  • Darth_Flibble 4 Aug 2019 17:33:50 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The quest design has got worse in recent elder scrolls and fallout games, skyrim started it with shitty repeatable quests and then F4 had and lots of people hated the minutemen. Bethesda don't care as they are going for the gamer who sees fallout as a "shoota" and hate skills and stats (thats why a lot of them got removed in 4)
  • DrStrangelove 4 Aug 2019 18:37:19 14,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    and then we got Fallout 4. Which afaik is their most popular title to date.
    You think so? I really don't. Skyrim was huge, everyone played it, even your grandma heard of it. Critical reception was fantastic too (and, at the time, rightfully). I think Skyrim was one of the biggest events in gaming, no matter if you like it or not.

If only for the memes. Backward flying dragons, arrow in the knee etc... those were big things.

But Fallout 4? After all the pre-release hype, what has stuck? A lukewarm game that was quickly forgotten. Who cared about Fallout 4 anymore 2 months after release?
  • TechnoHippy 4 Aug 2019 19:40:22 15,302 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Reliving the joys of Morrowind.
  • Mola_Ram 5 Aug 2019 04:59:43 20,831 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DrStrangelove popular in terms of sales, I mean. Exact figures are hard to come by, but Bethesda themselves have said that FO4 sold more (though I guess they would say that).

Most people, when they play something, don't get into the memes and talk about the thing online and such. They just buy it, have a bit of fun with it, and move onto the next thing. And if they keep buying those things, Bethesda will keep making them.

I personally am done with their games, though. Maybe it was fine to keep them that way 10 years ago, but there's competition now, and the competition is doing it better.
  • Darth_Flibble 5 Aug 2019 12:12:18 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Neon Chrome

Might give up on this top down shooter rouge like, its a lot of dying as grind for credits to level your stats. Killed the 2nd boss and now its soldiers with shield and rockets that fuck you up quite easily

Bridge Constructor Portal

Really enjoying this, the portal setting makes it lot more fun that the standard Bridge Constructor
  • Malek86 5 Aug 2019 18:21:07 8,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My biggest issue with Metro Exodus so far is that every single NPC, and especially your companions, is a motor mouth. Approach anyone and you'll be greeted with 10-12 lines of monologue. Sometimes I just walk away while they are still talking.

Edited by Malek86 at 18:21:28 05-08-2019
  • JoeBlade 5 Aug 2019 18:36:44 4,440 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Sometimes I just walk away while they are still talking.
    YOU MONSTER!
  • Malek86 5 Aug 2019 18:42:29 8,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know, right? In real life, that would make me Chaotic Evil by default.

But I swear the dialogue in this game feels so forced sometimes. Sure, Tokarev, I can see you have made a great workbench. You don't have to tell me that in seven lines that are almost exactly the same. Just say "I have made a great workbench". Nothing of value will be lost.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Aug 2019 20:26:06 6,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 Yeah, it really does suffer from over-talky NPCs. In fairness, it's probably no different to many other open-world games in terms of the quantity of dialogue. But the difference here is that, unlike in many titles, conversations happen in freeroam rather than in dedicated conversations, with no option to click through as a way of hurrying things up a bit.
  • Malek86 5 Aug 2019 21:23:59 8,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rogueywon there's also the fact that these aren't really conversations. If they were, you could at least keep yourself engaged with some dialogue choices, regardless of whether they have an impact on the flow of the conversation or not. And even if there are no choices, like in AC Origins, a back-and-forth is still more fun to listen to.

Alas, this game is literally everyone talking to you in overly long monologues. It gets annoying very fast.

Edited by Malek86 at 21:27:01 05-08-2019
  • OllyJ 6 Aug 2019 11:14:24 4,528 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Ashes Cricket (Xbox gamepass)

Surprisingly good. Once I got used to the bowling controls.

Bowled Australia out for 47, hit 198 myself, but Aussies are now 179-4 second innings, with 1.5 days left to play. Might be tight.

I think it'll play better as a 50 over game, which would suit me anyway, so once I've finished this first ashes game that's what I'll do.

There are, however, a number of quirks and bugs. It really smacks of low budget. Just one example, if your fielder is chasing the ball and manages to catch up with it anywhere within about six-eight feet of the boundary, his momentum and extended arm when throwing it back will take it out for four. I've lost about 20 runs in this match alone just to that bug. Fielding in general is by far the weakest and buggiest part of the game.

Still it's scratching the cricket itch and I'm enjoying it.
    Nice, I used to work on the Brian Lara games and have been missing a decent Cricket game so I might give it a shot!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.