What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 118

• OllyJ 6 Aug 2019 11:19:18 4,528 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rise of the Tomb Raider

Feels very much like what annoys me about Far Cry games, absolutely hate the story, the dialogue, Lara being a constant whimpering walking daddy issue, I've started skipping the cutscenes because it's just awful to me.

But then the game, really good fun, combat is nice and panic inducing while being fair, I feel pretty powerful as Lara which is good, which makes the tone even more annoying. It's a stunning looking and sounding game too, and I'm impressed with the scope of it all, missable challenge tombs are so well designed and always fun.

So yeah, great "game" but the narrative sucks the life out of it if you let it, not sure I'd quickly head into Shadow of the Tomb Raider for quite a while, if ever...this one may be enough.
  • ghearoid 6 Aug 2019 11:27:56 3,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fire Emblem Three Houses. Up to chapter twenty in the Golden Deer route now and cannot stop playing.

:)
  • Graxlar_v3 6 Aug 2019 13:53:58 7,311 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    Fire Emblem Three Houses. Up to chapter twenty in the Golden Deer route now and cannot stop playing.

:)
    I am 50 hours into this now having started a second play through... it really is great isn't it.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 8 Aug 2019 06:45:52 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Ys VIII.

Think I’ll be playing this for some considerable time. I’m at the “wtf am I doing and what’s the controls” stage.
  • Darth_Flibble 8 Aug 2019 08:31:28 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Borderlands 2 (xbox one)

While the game is getting on, the graphical style really holds up although the quest design back then has become the norm. Some missions are really dull, its go here kill this thing or bring back with very little in types of quest design. its not so bad when its expanded upon. Playing with friends does help a lot and drowns out some of the awful characters like tiny tina and scooter

Judgment (ps4)

I really like the yakuza series and so far its more of the same but even more well done but with AC style follow missions where you have to hide from the person you are following. Now has QTE when you chase people. This does feel like a step back in game design
  • FIFAfan 8 Aug 2019 08:35:29 230 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    Rise of the Tomb Raider

Feels very much like what annoys me about Far Cry games, absolutely hate the story, the dialogue, Lara being a constant whimpering walking daddy issue, I've started skipping the cutscenes because it's just awful to me.

But then the game, really good fun, combat is nice and panic inducing while being fair, I feel pretty powerful as Lara which is good, which makes the tone even more annoying. It's a stunning looking and sounding game too, and I'm impressed with the scope of it all, missable challenge tombs are so well designed and always fun.

So yeah, great "game" but the narrative sucks the life out of it if you let it, not sure I'd quickly head into Shadow of the Tomb Raider for quite a while, if ever...this one may be enough.
    I ended up quitting this a couple of weeks ago. Was a couple of hours in (infiltrating an old Soviet installation).

Too much combat. Not enough actual Tomb Raiding.

Shadow is comparatively far better imo, if you're into a more 'classic' TR experience (although it's not entirely without some of the above issues still).

Edited by FIFAfan at 08:38:29 08-08-2019
  • ChiefGB 8 Aug 2019 11:01:19 11,086 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I’m playing through shadow but my god does it have some down time, been stuck in this village for hours and hours on boring fetch quests and the like and once again the story is “blah, blah” zzzzzzzz when you talk to people. The actual “platforming” is decent, the combat is dull though and thankfully not overused but when in forced to fight bits it’s a bit pants. Graphics on the x are quite beautiful though.
  • Dombat 8 Aug 2019 13:23:06 1,617 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My enjoyment of Shadow of the TR nosedived at the village section when the game tries to be an RPG and suffers for it.

The combat, exploration and puzzles are fine though.
  • FIFAfan 8 Aug 2019 22:39:46 230 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't do fetch quests in games for this reason. Always just mainline the campaign.

I see them as uninteresting padding that just over-extends a game.

And it's always struck me as being faintly ridiculous that a hero on an urgent quest would take random time out to hunt X of whatever!

Edited by FIFAfan at 23:01:47 08-08-2019
  • monsieur-Cosmo 9 Aug 2019 16:44:51 480 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Some older stuff (as always) on PC:
    Lost Planet 3 I don't know what the general consensus was on this forum but I like it. It's like Dead Space Lite plus I can drive huge robots (rigs). Loving it so far.
    Alan Wake freebie from Epic Store I couldn't resist to try, Chinese spyware or not. My first time with it and I LOVE it. Can't wait to see how the story pans out. Finally some free game from EGS that I actually enjoy...

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 22:04:44 09-08-2019
  • kentmonkey 9 Aug 2019 18:30:47 23,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    FIFAfan wrote:

And it's always struck me as being faintly ridiculous that a hero on an urgent quest would take random time out to hunt X of whatever!
    This. A thousand times this.

I'm still playing the Ashes at the moment. Waiting for Woakes to be asked to find a bronze cup just as he starts his run up, and Smith to wait patiently at the crease for 2 hours whilst he finds it.
  • HelloNo 9 Aug 2019 18:34:50 2,114 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
  • kentmonkey 9 Aug 2019 18:44:39 23,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @HelloNo ha!
  • Malek86 9 Aug 2019 21:11:11 8,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Still slaving away at Metro Exodus. The Volga area was great, which made me hopeful about the rest of the game, but no such luck. I didn't really get on with the Mad Max stuff, and the Taiga area was annoying for sure.

I just got to Novobisirsk, and with all the radiations around and time limit, I guess it will be another linear level like Yamantau. How many more hours should I expect? Surely I must be close to the end of the game?

Edited by Malek86 at 21:12:33 09-08-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Aug 2019 21:13:24 6,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 That bit's a couple of hours, but yes, you are on the final straight. It's actually much more like the early Metro games from here on - more of a linear shooter.
  • Malek86 9 Aug 2019 21:20:15 8,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rogueywon a couple hours? Hell, I better find a lot of filters around then.

But well, if it's just that much, might as well just finish it tonight, so I can move on to other stuff for the weekend.

Edited by Malek86 at 21:22:52 09-08-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Aug 2019 00:12:07 10,808 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    monsieur-Cosmo wrote:
    Alan Wake freebie from Epic Store I couldn't resist to try, Chinese spyware or not. My first time with it and I LOVE it. Can't wait to see how the story pans out. Finally some free game from EGS that I actually enjoy...
    Love Alan Wake

It was such cool spin on a pulpy horror game. Would have loved a storydriven sequel, something with more exploration and mystery solving.

Probably the only Xbox exclusive that I miss since my move back to PlayStation
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Aug 2019 05:30:16 24,793 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Malek86
    Metro E was the last game I completed a week or so ago. Unlike you (and a large number of book fans) I really enjoyed it though.

Many hours into Days Gone now. It is my sole sp game now until I beat.
  • whatthefu 10 Aug 2019 16:33:11 1,233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Even though people in the abandoned games thread were talking about arkham city being crap, I am currently playing it and still liking it. I also liked it the first time I played it when it came out.

The combat isn't as interesting though any more. It's not groundbreaking now and other games have done it too. Bash X and press Y when the warning symbol comes up.

The atmosphere in these games is great.
  • RedPanda87 11 Aug 2019 18:04:03 1,918 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A Short Hike

This is really great. I've only played about an hour, but I think that puts me about halfway through. Great art, great writing, a great world to explore, and all without any combat or stress.

And I guess I'm also playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but it's a bit of a drag so far. Not sure I'm gonna stick with it.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Aug 2019 18:24:54 27,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    monsieur-Cosmo wrote:
    Love Alan Wake

It was such cool spin on a pulpy horror game. Would have loved a storydriven sequel, something with more exploration and mystery solving.

Probably the only Xbox exclusive that I miss since my move back to PlayStation
    Agree with all of that, now that Remedy own the I.P, here's hoping.
  • ghearoid 12 Aug 2019 08:36:57 3,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Halfway through my second play through, this time doing the Blue Lions path.

The NG+ has a few things carry over and adds a few new things too (no spoilers here!) and I'm enjoying my second romp through the game even more. :)

Edited by ghearoid at 08:37:31 12-08-2019
  • Darth_Flibble 12 Aug 2019 19:45:54 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Resident evil 4 (xbox one)

It on gamepass and thought I would give a proper go. Not sure if the 360 version (the last time I played it) has such awful aiming. You can aim and the fucking controls will aim at something else. Which is a pain when you are trying to kill some fuckwits with tnt stick.Which will lead to losing almost all your health. Also the fuckwits with tnt sticks are really annoying as they just spam you. It would be fine if the controls were less sluggish, don't remember it being this bad

Also I knew capcom spent fuck all effort with the port with the textures, it looks ugly. Its a cheap 1080p port. There is the classic re4 game in there but it deserves better than this
  • JamboWayOh 12 Aug 2019 19:54:04 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Zelda: BOTW

This game is the real deal. Interestingly it seems to share some DNA with Metal Gear The Phantom Pain, more in the sense that it has a range of systems that are there for experimentation with no one solution being the right solution as it were. There aren't any rules it just wants you to explore and play as you wish. Brilliant game.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 19:54:26 12-08-2019
  • Derblington 12 Aug 2019 19:57:01 31,801 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    FIFAfan wrote:
    This. A thousand times this.
    I think the only game that has done a decent job of this is the Witcher. It makes sense for Geralt to do all he shit he's doing.
  • Bazooklad 12 Aug 2019 20:26:29 119 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Continuing my love hate gaming with BO4.
    More like a bloke with a sore tooth.

Finished Doom3 which was enjoyable to revisit even if it has aged. Fannying about with Diablo3 still - season 18 on the horizon and enjoying the necromancer class. Finally going boss eyed with Wipeout.

Not a bad month really.
  • JoeBlade 12 Aug 2019 21:26:59 4,440 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Much to my own surprise, No Man's Sky

It was a recent impulse buy because a) it was discounted again and b) it turns out it's getting yet another update.
    As much flak as Hello Games got upon release (which, I'm fairly sure, was justified) they seem to have put in a LOT of effort to improve NMS and offer additional content.

And I think it shows. I can't know for sure because I've not played the game earlier but it's well rounded and polished IMO. Also, extrapolating from my limited play time, I reckon there's an absolute fucktonne of game time in there.
  • DrStrangelove 12 Aug 2019 21:41:51 14,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I abandoned it a few weeks after release, I plan to return to it. From what I hear it will be a completely different game.
  • Dombat 12 Aug 2019 23:55:28 1,617 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses is taking about 80% of my gaming time at the moment.

Second most played game right now is Nier: Automata. Just completed the B route this evening. Great game.
  • ThatAJ 13 Aug 2019 09:11:26 3 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    Red Dead Redemption 2 - mostly the online
    I could spend hours fishing and hunting online, like...it's actually awesome.
    In no other game can I say I would sit down to primarily fish, but hey, I mix it in with some missions and gunslinging and it never gets old. I don't know if I could ever stop playing.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.