Max Payne 3 on PC.
    By gawd itís gowjus. Looks like a generation ahead of Xbox 360
  • Addy__ 2 Sep 2019 20:07:45 1,432 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    Max Payne 3 on PC.
    By gawd itís gowjus. Looks like a generation ahead of Xbox 360
    Redownloaded it last week. I'm planning on going through MP 1-3 after im done with control.
  • Tomo 2 Sep 2019 21:42:41 16,703 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Shame it was a bit shit compared to the first two :/
  • Addy__ 2 Sep 2019 21:49:44 1,432 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Shame it was a bit shit compared to the first two :/
    Sure it's not as good as 1&2 but it's really not shit.
  • Tomo 2 Sep 2019 23:04:23 16,703 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's like a solid 6 or 7/10. And went on for far too long I seem to recall.

I would love a fourth mind.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 2 Sep 2019 23:08:35 2,039 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Started gears of war 1 again to see if it was shit like the first time I played it. Itís not, decidedly average in gameplay - but surprisingly less juvenile than modern games it inspired.

6 out of 10 resident evil 4s so far
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Sep 2019 00:44:16 10,911 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Mainly playing the Messenger, which is getting to be a real slog. It's still a great game for the first half but they really fucked the second bit. It reeks of running out of time and needing to just get the game out there.
    I absolutely loved it right up to the point where you beat the hooded dudes megazord of themselves then have to backtrack through portals all over the place and it feels like the kind of slog you'd usually only bother with while joylessly grinding toward a Platinum trophy after finishing a bigger game
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Sep 2019 00:45:13 10,911 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tetris Effect has its claws in me again

It's easy to see how people end up joining cults when it gets me
  • bighairybear65 3 Sep 2019 07:46:40 288 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Seeing as I have had Uncharted 4 in my pile o shame for a while Iíve decided to play through the Uncharted Collection, which I dabbled with back in PS3 days...
    Canít work out if itís rubbish or not, first one looks well dated sometimes, lovely other times.. good fun though so Iím guessing itís bit blimmin awesome!
    Halfway through Uncharted 1... apparently the other games get better 🤔
  • bighairybear65 3 Sep 2019 07:49:41 288 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And... Iím going on a bit of a retro phase at the moment, redownloaded God o War 3 to attempt again in prep for the another game in my pile o shame, God of War (reboot), Iím kind of a generation behind....

Edited by bighairybear65 at 07:50:01 03-09-2019
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Sep 2019 08:44:28 24,912 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @bighairybear65
    In order of enjoyment, for me at least:
    :)

Uncharted series btw.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 08:58:56 03-09-2019
  • Frogofdoom 3 Sep 2019 08:51:39 13,948 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You lucky bastard, I would love to have god of war 4 to play again for the first time.
  • Mitavoz 3 Sep 2019 16:18:54 1 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    Recently, I have been playing sports games on the computer and the Xbox, it's football and golf.
    Although sometimes I like even games like vegas nights game. I like this gambling sensation.

Edited by Mitavoz at 14:35:36 09-09-2019
  • gman7714 3 Sep 2019 20:58:31 448 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have a few too many on the go. In order of game time:
    Control
    Gears of War 4
    DMC 5
    Wolfenstein Young Blood
    Sensua
    Mutant Year Zero
    Ori and the Blind Forest

Seriously tempted to buy Remnant FTA and Strange Brigade (for some reason)
  • RedPanda87 4 Sep 2019 07:52:05 1,933 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    bighairybear65 wrote:
    Seeing as I have had Uncharted 4 in my pile o shame for a while Iíve decided to play through the Uncharted Collection, which I dabbled with back in PS3 days...
    Canít work out if itís rubbish or not, first one looks well dated sometimes, lovely other times.. good fun though so Iím guessing itís bit blimmin awesome!
    Halfway through Uncharted 1... apparently the other games get better 🤔
    I thought 1 was a bit meh even at the time, never really got the love for it. 2 is an enormous step up.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Sep 2019 23:26:46 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh wow, the FF8 remaster is BAD.
  • Malek86 4 Sep 2019 23:34:36 8,755 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh wow, FF13 is bad.

I think I'm only playing because the battle system is actually kind of genius. If only the AI didn't screw me up at random.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Sep 2019 23:38:40 10,911 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Oh wow, the FF8 remaster is BAD.
    What's up with it?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Sep 2019 23:47:57 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe It's the absolute minimum-possible effort job needed to even vaguely call it a remaster. A quick list of the major flaws (based on the PC version):

- Aspect ratio remains 4:3
    - Framerate shoots all over the place regardless of hardware
    - Controller support is clunky and erratic
    - All cutscenes still unskippable
    - Multiple visual glitches and broken effects
    - Some people reporting stutter and sound de-sync in cutscenes (didn't experience this myself)
    - Weirdly long load times

Some reports indicate that it's basically the PS1 ROM passed through an emulator with a few sharpening effects, but a load of glitches. Wouldn't surprise me. Apparently outsourced to a Chinese subcontractor, which kinda figures.
  • ChiefGB 4 Sep 2019 23:54:14 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wondering why thereís no reviews out.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Sep 2019 00:03:39 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB Possibly because it's not really worth reviewing?

Get a PS1 copy or ISOs of it and pass them through ePSXe with a few of the visual enhancement options turned on. It'll be basically the same.
  • ChiefGB 5 Sep 2019 00:06:34 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Perhaps but the other ďremastersĒ all got reviews and this has been long awaited. Maybe they werenít on release day but I expected some to hit the sites I tend to check.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Sep 2019 00:08:20 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB Maybe, yes. But this isn't like... say... the FF12 remaster, which was a well-thought-through and ambitious update. This is just "take the old game, which has been on Steam for ages anyway, and run a sharpening filter over it".
  • ChiefGB 5 Sep 2019 00:17:31 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well yes as we know now and hence why Iím wondering if itís been kept away from critical eyes.
    After all it sells itself, and there are possibly a million fanboys crying into their moogle onesies today.

Ok we knew it was going to be limited by what enhancements it was going to get but if itís broken, thatís not acceptable really.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Sep 2019 00:21:16 10,911 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's a shame. I've found the PS4 ports of 7 and 9 pretty serviceable from what I've played so far but I suppose neither is claiming to be anything more than it is.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Sep 2019 00:26:07 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB I think they had plenty of reason to hide this one away. They hyped the reveal a fair bit... but this is barely an upgrade over the existing Steam version. You really can do just as good with a PS1 version and a decent emulator. The pricing implied something closer to what they did to 10 and 12, but they didn't deliver on that.
  • ChiefGB 5 Sep 2019 00:26:43 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems fairly high on metacritic for ps and switch, maybe itís the pc version thatís gimped and to be fair itís probably not the first place Iíd think of playing it.
    None of the biggest places seem to have reviewed it though

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/final-fantasy-viii-remastered/critic-reviews
  • Nanocrystal 5 Sep 2019 02:33:19 1,892 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thronebreaker (PS4)
    I loved gwent in W3 so expected to love this too. I kinda do, but it has lots of issues, the main one being that it's too damn easy. I'm playing on the hardest setting and winning almost every fight by >100 points. Also, while the puzzles are absolutely brilliant and spot on in terms of difficulty, standard 3-round battles are way too rare. Most story battles are a single round only, which removes much of the strategy in terms of deciding when to pass or forfeit a round. You just go "all in" every time. I'd like it if the game forced me to use different decks or strategies more often (this does happen occasionally), as the basic cards you get from the outset can be buffed to ridiculously OP levels. The resource collection seems kinda pointless too, as I rarely feel like I need to upgrade my cards or buy new ones. I am only about a third of the way through I think, so some of these issues might improve later on. Performance is pretty dreadful considering it's a card game, lots of stuttering while the AI plans its next move. And perhaps most irritatingly of all, treasure chests reward you with items for a different fucking game!

All this moaning aside, the basic gwent mechanics are there and have been expanded upon really well, with cards having their own rules that can be synergised, etc. These mechanics play out best in the puzzles battles, which by themselves are worth the price of admission.
  • Addy__ 7 Sep 2019 11:44:32 1,432 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    River city girls and some snes on switch.

Max Payne on pc. In recent years I'd converted to a pad so it was quite jarring go back to kb/m setup, particularly on a laptop. Only took around half an hour to adjust again. Makes me want to play some fps games again like I did back in the day.

As for the game itself. Of course it looks rough on the close up character models but the story and core gameplay is still great.
  • Malek86 7 Sep 2019 13:25:16 8,755 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FF13 is only now starting to get interesting, roughly 18 hours later. I'm kinda glad I stuck with it, but admittedly it is a much longer time than it should have been.

The battle system is actually great. It's pretty much an evolution of the FF12 system, in that it still plays itself, but actually requires you to pay attention to fights. I'll be sad if future FF games go back to requiring the player to input every single command.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.