What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 128

• Darth_Flibble 1 Jan 2020 17:35:53 4,010 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Fucking hell what a shitpile of a game

https://kotaku.com/due-to-a-y2k-like-bug-wwe-2k20-is-almost-unplayable-in-1840760479
    the game is trying to save people from playing it in 2020
  • Malek86 1 Jan 2020 18:56:53 9,696 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    About ten years late, but I've finally started Castlevania Lords of Shadow. Playing on the X1, finished the first chapter so far.

I was expecting a GOW clone. It is indeed a GOW clone, but with laggier controls and a bit less combat. It apes several games, and generally fares worse than any of them.

Might hold out for a while, but I dunno how long it will take until I lose interest.

Edited by Malek86 at 18:57:08 01-01-2020
  • HelloNo 1 Jan 2020 19:31:27 2,158 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Giving Final Fantasy XIV (The MMO) a go, so far its fairly standard stuff but in a charming way and the overall feel is quite slick.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Jan 2020 19:44:23 12,529 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @HelloNo You should watch the series Dad of Light on Netflix about it (everybody should)
  • HelloNo 1 Jan 2020 19:49:46 2,158 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe Looks goods, have added it to my list!
  • Cadence 1 Jan 2020 21:10:36 2,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hollow Knight. I heard it was good but I wasn't prepared for quite how good! Absolutely incredible game.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Jan 2020 09:08:39 8,009 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    List has switched around a bit, due to the completion of loads of the games I was previously playing:

Total War: Three Kingdoms (PC) - Been playing this in spurts for a while, but kept getting distracted by new releases before I'd managed to penetrate the surface layer of complexity. Trying to give it a more comprehensive go now we're in a quieter part of the release schedule.

Horace (PC) - Not normally my kind of game, but well executed. Oscillate between loving it and hating it.

Pokemon Shield (Switch) - Most of the way through the "story" now, I think. Enjoying it quite a lot, but then I'm not really one of the Pokemon hardcore.

Atelier Ryza (PC) - Think I'm into the second half of this now. It's acquired a more traditional JRPG-type story now, but is still a very chilled-out game.

Kill la Kill IF (PC) - Poor game, terrible PC port, but worth playing for that soundtrack.
  • Malek86 4 Jan 2020 10:32:15 9,696 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's something about Lords of Shadow that keeps me from dropping it. Somehow it feels like more than the sum of its admittedly mediocre parts.

However, I know it is a long game for its genre. We'll have to see if I don't feel like dropping it later.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Jan 2020 11:54:09 12,529 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One of the games of the decade on PlayStation Access for some reason (yes itís a PR channel but still an unexpected choice)
  • ghearoid 4 Jan 2020 12:20:53 3,342 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Switch Dragon Quest XI S - picked it up from the eShop sale and used up my soon to expire gold coins too which brought it down to about £27. I'm only a few hours in, but so far it's very entertaining, I live the art direction and character models and varied enemies. Exploring towns is fun too, love climbing up a roof and seeing what's hidden.

3DS Story of Seasons Trio of Towns - I'm in winter of year one so far with the west and east fields unlocked, town ranks of B, C and D. Really charming game and thankfully less grindy than previous entries.
  • Malek86 4 Jan 2020 12:37:13 9,696 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe Kojima and all that. Although I'm pretty sure he was involved in name only.
  • ChiefGB 4 Jan 2020 13:55:03 12,024 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember lords of shadow being pretty decent, also one of the early examples of ďaaaĒ (for the time) voice actors in Robert Carlyle and Patrick Stewart?
  • Malek86 4 Jan 2020 17:21:14 9,696 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Patrick Stewart had already voiced the emperor in Oblivion, although it was only at the start of the game. I remember they made a big deal out of it.

Still, it doesn't feel much like an AAA game, even for 2010. Too much jank about it, imprecise controls, laggy combat, muddy visuals. And good thing I'm running on the Xbox One, which at least makes the 30fps very stable. Apparently the 360 version was more like 20-25fps.

Edited by Malek86 at 17:21:50 04-01-2020
  • DrStrangelove 4 Jan 2020 23:00:50 14,974 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Malek86
    In hindsight, it seems rather odd that even Skyrim was a huge improvement over Oblivion in terms of combat and menus. Tried to go back to Oblivion but found it impossible.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 4 Jan 2020 23:06:06 251 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm finishing up RDR2 epilogue, taking my team cause I'm in a sulk at having gone through a great ride with Arthur and Kali(horse I named)

I'm also riding back in to LotrO; finally got past Helm's Deep and following through the Dimholt.
  • Dombat 4 Jan 2020 23:08:23 1,724 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oblivion really hasnít aged well at all. I assume people that have enjoyed playing it in recent years are influenced by nostalgia and/or have modded the fuck out of it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Jan 2020 23:35:15 8,009 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anybody else get that weird hollow feeling when they've finished off fully a game they've put a huge amount of time into?

I think I'm done with BattleTech now. I've got 232 hours on the clock with it. I've done two campaign mode games and two career mode. The final expansion is out and I've seen all of its content. In my final-expansion playthrough, my lance is upgraded as far as it's possible to go (high-tier lostech everywhere).

So I'm done with the game. And now I feel incredibly empty and have spent a lot of time staring at a Steam library containing 2,001 games (many of which I've never even installed), thinking "I've got nothing to play".
  • Deleted user 4 January 2020 23:37:25
    Still playing Switcher and had a session on handheld and it worked really well. Normally I can't get on with handheld, especially for games with vistas, huds, loads of text and stuff that you've got to explore, however this works well and I enjoyed it. Prefer the big screen though.

Small screen is sharper and textures look better which was good to see. Sound worked well too once I increased voice, though with the swearing I often have this low.

I'm playing on easy and enjoying the combat which has a lot of depth compared to Skyrim. It's much better than in 2 I think. Swimming along and being dragged down by drowners was cool, though panic inducing. Taking out bandit bases feels epic at times as I moved from group of enemies to group of enemies. Wraiths I still need to be careful with.

Currently on the Bloody Baron and level 6 , so very early days and still getting to understand things. The TV series really helps with feeling part of the world. When he said he was the butcher of blavikan, I knew all about it for once and the sorcerer portals are just like in the series.

Anyway, enough blathering on. I've seen a couple of stutters in places, but no blurring. Easily better graphics than Skyrim and I put hundreds of hours until that. Amazing it all fits on the Switch.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Jan 2020 23:52:57 12,529 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @Malek86
    In hindsight, it seems rather odd that even Skyrim was a huge improvement over Oblivion in terms of combat and menus. Tried to go back to Oblivion but found it impossible.
    Wasnít Sean Bean the lost heir in Oblivion too?

If itís anything like I remember (despite loving it at the time) replaying now would probably feel like everything happens in the same meadow with three or four copy/pasted villagers in every town
  • DrStrangelove 5 Jan 2020 01:11:35 14,974 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just find it interesting how you can fire up Doom 1 today and it's just great fun. Oblivion was released 13 years later and it feels archaic.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Jan 2020 06:00:40 12,529 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Doom is a rare breed though. Itís like Mario or Sonic or Pac-Man or Tetris, itís exactly what itís supposed to be, raw, lean, a game you can play almost by instinct.

Even compared to FPS games that came out shortly afterwards (Duke, Dark Forces, Hexen, Quake even) it retains a timelessness where they have aged fairly poorly.

I think itís about the purity of the experience. The more systems and innovations a game adds the more elements of it there is to improve upon or something,
  • rice_sandwich 5 Jan 2020 06:28:31 6,294 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rogueywon

I'm getting that way with The Binding of Isaac. I still have a few completion marks left for characters I don't enjoy that much, so I think I'm done. I've seen 95% of what the game offers.

Why not play something short and sweet? Or get busy with the hide game feature to get rid of games you'll never play. Even if you hide 90% of your games, that still leaves 200 titles, of which you might still realistically only want to play 10%.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Jan 2020 07:32:11 25,409 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Anybody else get that weird hollow feeling when they've finished off fully a game they've put a huge amount of time into?

So I'm done with the game. And now I feel incredibly empty and have spent a lot of time staring at a Steam library containing 2,001 games (many of which I've never even installed), thinking "I've got nothing to play".
    Often mate, I have nowhere near the amount of games you have, but even with 50+ on ps4 and maybe 200 on Xbox (including GP) I can spend ages flicking back and forth with different games, only to put Now/Netflix on.

Upon completing any game I usually have about 3-5 days off gaming, so I'm a little fresh when I start. I do enjoy starting a new game, in fact today will be my first new game of 2020, Far Cry ND.
  • FIFAfan 5 Jan 2020 07:37:56 257 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    QBX wrote:
    @FIFAfan That is what I'd been waiting to hear :) Just had Lara's flashback and loving it so far. Can only go downhill from here!
    Can't remember where that was, but I mostly enjoyed Shadow throughout (minus the occasional shooty shooty bits).

Rise on the other hand I quickly dropped because it was mainly shooty shooty bits...
  • FIFAfan 5 Jan 2020 08:05:57 257 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Currently playing PES 2020, courtesy of Xbox Game Pass.

In spite of the annoying button lag (only play online), I'm finding it a more calm and cerebral game of footie than FIFA's frenetic pinball. You can actually put your foot on the ball, pick out a pass, patiently open your opponent up.

Although annoying, the button lag does kinda help with the more deliberate pace as well.

Edited by FIFAfan at 12:19:51 05-01-2020
  • Malek86 5 Jan 2020 08:20:40 9,696 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DrStrangelove that's true, but I was talking about Castlevania :lol:
  • ChiefGB 5 Jan 2020 08:44:30 12,024 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @Malek86
    Why is that odd? Itís the successor and with the gap in between and the advances in the gen it was totally expected it would be a refined version. After all this is how these things work.
  • Graxlar_v3 5 Jan 2020 09:01:52 9,632 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @Malek86
    Why is that odd? Itís the successor and with the gap in between and the advances in the gen it was totally expected it would be a refined version. After all this is how these things work.
    I think he means it is odd as the combat and menus in Skyrim are some of the worst! So for oblivion to be ever worse than that is odd.
  • DrStrangelove 5 Jan 2020 10:58:05 14,974 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ChiefGB

With odd, I just meant the thought that there's anything that makes combat and menus of Skyrim look good
  • countzero99 5 Jan 2020 12:02:41 3 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I started playing the Code Vein Demo today. Messed around with the character creation for over an hour and liked it. I haven't played the actual game that much, but the combat seems interesting.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.