What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 135

• Deleted user 9 February 2020 07:25:47
    @Rogueywon pathfinder is a rival system. It's more like AD&D version 2 which was considered "classic". I've got it myself and much prefer it to the current AD&D.

Iirc it was created as an off shoot by tsr staff who didn't like the way the game was going, but I'd have to Google to be certain as it was a while ago. It's much more old school anyway.
  • quadfather 9 Feb 2020 10:16:08 36,734 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zombie army 4 on PS4. So far, so good.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Feb 2020 11:46:22 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @MightyPirate Thanks, that makes sense. This really does feel like an AD&D game, from somewhere between the 2e and 3e eras.

On the basis of the first 4 hours or so, I really like it. So far, at least, it's felt way better than any of the Obsidian BG-clones. One thing I really like is that the fact the setting is so familiar from AD&D and generic fantasy tropes that it can get straight into plot and character, without vast reams of "look how clever we are" worldbuilding. At no point have I been expected to read 5,000 words on the millennia-long feud between Nostrillius, God of Nose Hair, and Flatulencia, Maiden of the Stinky Arse and how it pertains to social grooming customs in the Bumfluff Islands. Instead, it goes straight into what feels like a combination of generic but competent adventuring stuff with some fairly complex political intruige.

Maybe it drops the ball badly later on - that might explain why it vanished without trace on release. But we'll see...
  • Darth_Flibble 9 Feb 2020 13:19:19 4,311 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Borderlands 3
    Started it when it was free weekend a few months ago. Enjoying it but they need to do better quests as its same old format that was in the first game from 11(?) years ago. The movement and shooting is so much better than the last game. So much loot, you need to go through it and sort what you need and run back and forth selling it off

Wolfenstein young blood
    Glad its gamepass game as glad I didn't pay anything for this crap. The studio have really fucked up the formula for the games. New order and old blood were excellent, in 2 had shitty maps for most levels and made the enemies more bullet spongy.

As this is really just a short game. it padded with with RPG lite levels and grinding levels. its typical of game design to pad a game with bullshit RPG lite levelling. Also the sisters are fucking annoying and you have to keep going through the same level hubs. Its not well made even with patch which fixed a lot of the bullshit AI and poor checkpoint. I would of binned it earlier but my friend wanted help to get through the shitty "raid" levels aka brother 1 and 2
  • wuntyate 9 Feb 2020 14:02:51 14,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Still resident evil 4. Fucking hell its longer than i thought it would be. Here's me thinking I'd be done at the end of the castle area.

Wrong.
  • TitanWarlord93 9 Feb 2020 16:29:14 465 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Destiny 1

Just catching up and I have yet reached light level 400. I'd just got Gjallarhorn for the first time since I first played it way back at launch. This still remains way better to play than the current state of D2. I'm hoping for a D1 remastered for PC.
  • Armoured_Bear 9 Feb 2020 22:07:17 28,862 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Az God of War makes me feel a bit woozy with the camera, I'm playing it for short periods (and loving it) and just bought Link's Awakening to combine with it.
    It's lovely.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Feb 2020 14:19:09 13,966 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Making super slow progress on Witcher 3

Got a bit bummed out by the quest in Velen where you follow the trail of a masked elves mage and the Wild Hunt through a cave/dungeon as I did it before the Bloody Baron and it was really dull and generic. Just the kind of quest I temporarily gave up on the genre because of.

Digging the less monster heavy stuff or where itís a single creature/haunting compared to another pack of mobs.
  • TitanWarlord93 15 Feb 2020 15:16:06 465 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finishing off Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. This has been one of the best Star Wars games since The Force Unleashed. I almost finished the game too based on my progress so far and have been pacing it by exploring every planet, area and all that. Just finished beating one of the most epic bosses in the game.
  • Dombat 15 Feb 2020 17:52:42 1,778 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Currently mostly alternating between the following:

Final Fantasy VII (Switch) - first time playing it in about 14 years. Was worried it wouldnít hold up anymore or that my tastes have changed too much to enjoy it like I used to but I still love it.

Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbox One)
    Been chipping away at this and had it on hold until recently. Really enjoying it. Itís challenging at times but at a satisfying level. Being able to set your own checkpoints helps and it avoids my biggest pet hate of making you sit through a loading screen when you die.

Disco Elysium (PC)
    Been playing at a snails pace but the writing has kept me absorbed.

Death Stranding (PS4)
    STILL on chapter 3. Been playing it at a very slow pace but I find the open world gameplay very relaxing. Definitely a game suited to more patient players.
  • Rum_Monkey 16 Feb 2020 00:12:49 965 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Days gone.

Last of us meets sons, crossed with the walking dead with fast zombies from wwz.

Only played the opening part but so far so good. Nice polish to the game and story seems interesting enough.
  • spindle9988 16 Feb 2020 08:49:07 5,128 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thought Iíd give dead cells a proper go last night as Iíd not played it properly due to thinking it was toning to be one of those ultra hard 2d platformers. What a great game this is, challenging but not frustrating and the characters are great.
  • kentmonkey 16 Feb 2020 09:34:04 23,609 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Thought Iíd give dead cells a proper go last night as Iíd not played it properly due to thinking it was toning to be one of those ultra hard 2d platformers. What a great game this is, challenging but not frustrating and the characters are great.
    +1billionty
  • quadfather 16 Feb 2020 11:52:01 36,734 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Still resident evil 4. Fucking hell its longer than i thought it would be. Here's me thinking I'd be done at the end of the castle area.

Wrong.
    Haha, I've just fired this up this morning on the Wii
  • JoeBlade 16 Feb 2020 19:59:10 5,089 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Civ 6 and Oxygen Not Included as always (well, since those games were released) They're my go to 'play at my own pace' games, being able to pause and come back whenever I want is such a boon at my age.

That said, No Man's Sky and Rise of the Tomb Raider are my other ongoing ones. The former falls in the 'it's a grind but one I like a lot' category, esp. since the latest updates.

RotTR is an odd one, I've played through the first, hmm, 5 hours or so repeatedly and gave up each time. I've persisted now and, well, I now totally love it for some reason. I suppose it didn't sell itself very well based on the initial experience.
  • Darth_Flibble 17 Feb 2020 20:54:56 4,311 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Call of Cthulhu (Games with Gold)
    Wanted to play this but glad I waited till its "free", its what i thought it was going to be B-tier game, bit janky but some decent horror moments. its more like a walking simulator but has basic stealth from chapter 4 onwards.

Death stranding
    Really like the world they set up, only on chapter 1 (near the end of Ch1 I think ) early days yet
  • EMarkM 18 Feb 2020 08:36:03 4,945 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As mentioned elsewhere, after a two year hiatus from gaming of any kind, Iím back on PS4 Witcher 3. Enjoying it, and Iíve now got just further than I did on PC before that blew up.

Iíve completed the Baronís story (I assume itís complete now), and Keira or whatever her name is has probably finished too.

Iíll be trying to mop up all level-appropriate (currently 12) quests before carrying on with the main story.

The only thing I donít like about the game so far, having not played the first two, is Geralt himself. Itís not you, itís me, Geralt. I just like to build my own RPG characters.

Edited by EMarkM at 08:36:34 18-02-2020
  • JoeBlade 18 Feb 2020 09:09:10 5,089 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    The only thing I donít like about the game so far, having not played the first two, is Geralt himself. Itís not you, itís me, Geralt. I just like to build my own RPG characters.
    I get this critique but I think it was the right choice in this case. I doubt they'd have managed to pull off the level of dialogue, character interaction, animation, etc if they had to take into account all possible character variants. We'd probably have had a fantasy based mass effect/dragon age clone where your character customisation barely has impact anyway and choices & dialogue options are often bland and with little to no consequence. Exactly what w3 isn't.

Again, I think CDP was right to go with just one fixed protagonist.
  • EMarkM 18 Feb 2020 09:15:07 4,945 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @JoeBlade Joe, I absolutely and completely agree with your thoughts.

They couldnít have written the game with all this amazing content if the character was anything other than, essentially, fixed.

Itís just that my favourite part of any RPG is the investment I make in my character. Looks, skills and abilities, you know?

Geralt is growing on me, I have to admit. Itís just taking time.

Cheers :)
  • OllyJ 18 Feb 2020 09:18:51 4,758 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Surge 2

Having seen some hype about it on here I took the plunge, glad I did as it is very good.

Couple of things, story and voice acting is dire. Bosses are mostly great, but the designers go HARD on the AOE and environmental damage, there's so much toxic shit in a boss arean it's a joke.

Also, it's taken the Dark Souls maze like world design to it's conclusion, it's very confusing in places.

BUT, it's a very satisfying game! The combat is spot on, maybe the best example of 3rd person combat...maybe. The upgrading and gear crafting is cool, it's quite simple but the way you do it....is brilliant.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Feb 2020 09:24:26 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My list's a bit of an odd collection at the moment, reflecting that we're in the slightly dead period of the year between the pre-Christmas releases and the rush of end-of-Financial Year/pre-Golden Week releases that start to flow through in March. Current list:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker (PC): Old-school style RPG that does a better job in most respects of being a "Baldur's Gate spiritual successor" than any of the over-written Obsidian titles. Does have one big flaw, though - the main quest time-limit, even while fairly generous, is aggravating and adds an unnecessary level of stress to the game.

Battletech (PC): Still playing this, despite having thought I was done with it a couple of times. I'm doing an Iron Man career-mode playthrough, after which I suspect I genuinely am done with the game. Will be well over the 300 hours point by then (and possibly over 350) so I've had my value from it.

Slay the Spire (PC): Nab a round of this here and there, often before bed. Enthusiasm for it starting to wane a bit now, but would like my ascension 10 achievement before I move on.

Mechwarrior 5 (PC): Just started a co-op playthrough with a friend who's never played one of these before. Co-op seems to work well, but my friend's struggling to adapt to the movement/targetting system. Having played the whole series since the first installment, I guess I'd not realised how big of an adjustment it can be from "normal" fps controls.

Azur Lane: Crossfire (PC): Yeah, it's pretty terrible, but it has just about enough of the usual Compile Heart janky charm to keep me playing.

Not currently playing anything on other platforms, but I'm flying off to the US for more than a week on Friday, so have Luigi's Mansion 3 ready to go on Switch. Depending on how much gaming time I get/want over there, I might also go back to Fire Emblem: Three Houses for one last playthrough now all the DLC is out (Blue Lions this time).

Lots of releases I've been waiting for from next month. Doom Eternal, Persona 5 Royal and the FF7 Remake, among others. The Spring releases often end up providing my GOTY, as they tend to be a bit quirkier and more interesting than the death-march-to-Christmas franchises.
  • Malek86 18 Feb 2020 10:11:27 10,158 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm having a go at the FF15 DLC episodes thanks to Game Pass.

Episode Gladio was completely pointless and honestly not even that fun to play. I completed it in less than one hour (ehm, 59 minutes and 37 seconds). Let's see if mah bois Prompto and Ignis are any better.
  • wuntyate 18 Feb 2020 10:12:04 14,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @EMarkM I see what you're saying and, having got back into this again recently, I would say that it yeah, it definitely needs Geralt, as he's so integral to the narrative that having a randomly generated character wouldn't work imo. He'll grow on you more I'm sure. I can't imagine it without him.

That said. I am currently playing... Witcher 3.

This is my third return after leaving it for other games. Not the fault of this game, merely a result of the fact it's so huuuuuge that I find it quite daunting to play through so take breaks to focus on other stuff for a bit. It still remains that this is one of the best open world rpgs I've ever played. Every single mission - be it main, side, or contract - is so well written and interesting, so different from most other open world jobbies. It really shows how basic RDR2's missions were in retrospect. Currently faffing about on Skellige so no idea how far I am into the game. Just had another Ciri section where I had to eh, have a sauna then kill some of the Wild Hunt .

Edited by wuntyate at 10:13:16 18-02-2020
  • EMarkM 18 Feb 2020 10:38:28 4,945 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @wuntyate It is big, and over four decades of gaming my Pile Oí Shame is quite embarrassing as I have a habit of dropping big games for the next new thing.

I really do intend to continue with this one, though. Especially as I wonít be buying any new games before the next consoles come out.

Hope you continue to enjoy it :)
  • wuntyate 18 Feb 2020 11:20:45 14,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @EMarkM Yeah I'm really hoping I finish it, as it deserves to be finished. It's so good.

One thing though... That fucking horse. EVERY time I call him he appears somewhere so mind numbingly stupid. Last night he appeared at the top of some narrow wooden steps, and then stuck behind a bonfire. Stupid horse.
  • EMarkM 18 Feb 2020 11:29:23 4,945 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @wuntyate Heh! :D For some reason, I never use the horse apart from the parts where youíre forced to. I just prefer wandering about!

My least favourite sections of the game so far have been the couple of forced horse race/chase bits.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Feb 2020 11:38:02 28,862 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @EMarkM Yeah I'm really hoping I finish it, as it deserves to be finished. It's so good.

One thing though... That fucking horse. EVERY time I call him he appears somewhere so mind numbingly stupid. Last night he appeared at the top of some narrow wooden steps, and then stuck behind a bonfire. Stupid horse.
    Donít dis Roach,
  • RawShark 18 Feb 2020 11:38:39 1,210 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Started playing Final Fantasy XV as itís on Gamepass. Iím an hour in and not sure if Iím going to return. Iím amazed they give you a car but donít let you drive it freely. The battles just come across as a complete clusterfuck too - does it get any clearer as you progress? At the moment it just comes across a bit impenetrable.

The last straw for my first play through was when I got out of the car to do a side quest and spent the entire in game day trying to find where to actually start it. It just gives you a vague area with no signposting at all. I get you donít want to have your hand held throughout, but come on - itís the start of the bloody game.

So Iíve gone back to God of War. I kind of ruined my first play through by starting it in hard and realising a few hours in that Iím shit at games. So Iím doing it at a sensible difficulty now and having a much better time of it.
  • wuntyate 18 Feb 2020 11:45:26 14,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear I love him, but fuck me is he thick.
  • Malek86 18 Feb 2020 13:02:34 10,158 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @RawShark in spite of its glaring issues, I still like FF15. I had to give it some time though. At first it's kinda overwhelming and the bad tutorials don't help.

Shame that the sidequests never really get better.

Edited by Malek86 at 13:03:20 18-02-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.