Gears 5
    Gears 3
    Gears J
    and
    Gears UE...
  • Mr_Sleep 3 Mar 2020 19:03:25 23,070 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Is the problem that you are attracted to beefy men with gruff voices or am I to believe you play these games to read the logs?

haven't played gears since the first one
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Mar 2020 19:08:21 25,419 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep
    Probably both. Less you forget I'm a beefy man (well was and I'm on a comeback!) with a ... Southern/Pompey voice. 😉

I
  • Mr_Sleep 3 Mar 2020 20:20:38 23,070 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Bears go for twinks though, bear on bear action is rough. Just how the Gears chaps like it, I guess.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Mar 2020 20:24:12 25,419 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep
    OK... I'm going to leave at this point ;)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Mar 2020 13:10:53 8,024 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just made a start on Black Mesa. Been interested in this for years, but wanted to wait until it was complete rather than playing various early access versions.

It's very impressive! I realise it's had a lot of time in the oven, but the contrast between this and the other big recent remake - Warcraft 3 Reforged - is pretty striking.
  • Rum_Monkey 6 Mar 2020 14:03:14 355 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Is it a full remake of Half-life or select bits?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Mar 2020 14:09:46 8,024 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rum_Monkey It's a remake, not a remaster. I gather it's actually a longer game than the original Half-Life, but not 100% consistent across the duration of the game. So some bits have been extended with extra content, others have been cut down a bit.
  • ChaosFox 6 Mar 2020 16:09:35 9 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    Playing Pac-Man World (the very first one) through my PS3.

It's a decent enough game with plenty of charm (and the visuals hold up pretty well by PSX standards) but the difficulty curve is all over the feckin' place and it doesn't bode well when the chief reasons for the game's challenge are slightly laggy controls (working slightly better when you disable analogue and enable digital), crappy collision detection and a nigh-on lack of shadows (typical of PSX-era games), making depth perception almost impossible.

I've also just discovered that you have to collect all of the PACMAN letters in every level to get 100%, and there's no way to find out which levels you're missing it in unless you make a note of it. Yeah, fuck that noise.

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind Bamco doing a Spyro/Crash-style trilogy remake. They're decent games with serious technical shortcomings - perfect fodder for this trend.
  • Reacher 6 Mar 2020 21:17:04 2,957 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Toukiden 2.

Mental action Jrpg with Oni, but the good mental kind. Lit of fun and looks great.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Mar 2020 21:25:20 22,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As a light alternative to Fire Emblem Maddening and TMS: FE# Encore (or whatever it's called), I got Murder By Numbers.

It's Phoenix Wright, but with Picross, and so far it's pretty great. It helps if you like Picross, but even if you don't I think it's worth playing. You can put it on Easy and breeze through the puzzles, and just enjoy the characters and humour.
  • ChiefGB 6 Mar 2020 21:44:22 12,039 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yes, this sounds marvellous.
  • Malek86 6 Mar 2020 22:29:58 9,714 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Playing Black Mesa.

It's definitely very different from the original game, but also from the old mod I played a few years ago. That's good, more reasons to replay it.
  • Carlo 6 Mar 2020 23:45:27 21,013 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Just made a start on Black Mesa. Been interested in this for years, but wanted to wait until it was complete rather than playing various early access versions.

It's very impressive! I realise it's had a lot of time in the oven, but the contrast between this and the other big recent remake - Warcraft 3 Reforged - is pretty striking.
    Same. It's bloody marvelous!
  • LoneWolf80 7 Mar 2020 06:36:00 88 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Moss - Oculus Rift S

Absolutely stunning !
  • KnuttinAtoll 7 Mar 2020 10:15:59 7,818 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Started Life Is Strange last night, after having this sitting in my library for years unplayed. Am about 90 mins or so in, and while I like the production values and wouldn't mind progressing through the story as such, I find the "gameplay" itself quite tedious I have to say. It's probably more my (lack of) patience with story and exposure heavy games nowadays, but not sure if I can muster the stamina to see it through. Will try it some more later in the hope it picks up the pace a little.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Mar 2020 10:37:04 8,024 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll I stuck with LiS1 until, I think, the fourth episode where there was a "gameplay" section of such spectacular awfulness that I noped right out of it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Mar 2020 10:50:28 12,531 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll I really like it but as with almost all games like this Id probably have preferred the puzzle gameplay* to be stripped back even further and the game lead even harder toward interactive movie and dialogue options.

Before the Storm is much better in those terms.

Id say stick with it. Admittedly parts of the game really hooked me emotionally so that probably helped but I think its really good. And it does evolve quite a lot.

Id recommend playing the episodes as close together as possible for maximum impact.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Mar 2020 10:51:03 12,531 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    *find a thing or ten things in the environment/room you were already exploring
  • azurelas_2 7 Mar 2020 10:52:56 2,017 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Playing PS2 games I missed out on back in the day (on PCSX2). GT4, Dragon Quaest 8, ZOE2 and Silent Hill 2 and 4.

The PS2 was truly the greatest console of all time.
  • KnuttinAtoll 7 Mar 2020 10:53:38 7,818 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rogueywon interesting... I did read a review earlier that I think referred to it.

Youtubing the game would be an option I guess but much of the appeal comes from the decisions you make throughout, and in a way that would make it even more tedious than playing yourself.

One thing that crossed my mind - you know the way you can speak to everyone and/or look at objects even though they might not actually progress the story - I wonder how much of that is just inconsequential fluff used to flesh out the game world. I have this OCD that I need to tick off every single such option before moving on, but it's quite tiresome after a while. Maybe I can just skip those and speed through it quicker without it impacting the story too much...
  • KnuttinAtoll 7 Mar 2020 10:58:16 7,818 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    *find a thing or ten things in the environment/room you were already exploring
    Heh just alluded to that exact point in my above reply, and fully agree.

Ok will give it another chance. To be fair I felt similarly disengaged with Steins Gate until a few hours in, after which I couldn't stop until I finished it. But yeah that was a lot tighter due to lack of aforementioned mechanics.
  • JoelStinty 7 Mar 2020 12:03:35 8,630 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    azurelas_2 wrote:
    Playing PS2 games I missed out on back in the day (on PCSX2). GT4, Dragon Quaest 8, ZOE2 and Silent Hill 2 and 4.

The PS2 was truly the greatest console of all time.
    I often walk past CEX and have a look out for a slim ps2. I dont really have the space to have one at the moment but think it be class to play some classics now and again. A shame some titles like Burnout and SSX have never been remastered. Might hook up the ps3 later.
  • Tomo 7 Mar 2020 12:30:27 17,421 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll

I love LiS. Playing through the second one at the moment. But it's one to play for the story rather than anything else. I found the first episode of LiS1 fairly rudimentary, but by the end of episode 2 the story really starts to get going... If you're not feeling it by then, it's probably not for you.
  • azurelas_2 7 Mar 2020 14:47:03 2,017 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    PCSX2 is a godsend. Most PS2 games look downright ugly on modern monitors, so playing on a PS2 is out of the question.

Too bad PS3 emulation is 10+ years away from being as feasible/light on hardware as PCSX2.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Mar 2020 14:50:20 8,024 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    azurelas_2 wrote:
    PCSX2 is a godsend. Most PS2 games look downright ugly on modern monitors, so playing on a PS2 is out of the question.

Too bad PS3 emulation is 10+ years away from being as feasible/light on hardware as PCSX2.
    Yeah, this.

Still hoping the PS5 will have full back compatibility, including PS2 and PS3. But probably going to be disappointed.
  • QBX 7 Mar 2020 15:26:02 143 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (Game Pass)

After enduring the torture of Youngblood I thought I would give this an hour and not been able to put it down - it really is amazing how night and day it can be between two games.

Everything about it is pure fun.
  • KnuttinAtoll 7 Mar 2020 16:10:25 7,818 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tomo I'll keep playing until then, want to give the game a fair chance. Might try to not 'tick off' every single object/person as often it feels it's just filler - although at times it will tell me whatever I do/say will affect things down the road.

Like the concept, but playing through it is a bit of a slog at the moment.
  • Tomo 7 Mar 2020 19:31:42 17,421 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, tbh, it's fairly clear which decisions will have an impact on the story. Although I think smaller things might be determined by what you find/lesser interactions with characters. The decisions which contribute to the main beats of the story will be obvious though.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.