What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 139

• simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Mar 2020 09:00:11 12,531 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Agree a lot of the other stuff adds colour and might inform how you feel about a character but the story decisions and conversations are unavoidable.

The thing that sealed it for me was the montage at the end of episode one.
  • KnuttinAtoll 8 Mar 2020 13:54:31 7,818 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played it a bit more last night and I think I'm a little more hooked now. Am maybe an hour into EP2 and the characters are starting to become a little more interesting now. I do also love the hipster music I have to say, fits the game very well.
  • DrStrangelove 8 Mar 2020 15:54:27 14,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Black Mesa

2 hours in and tbh I'm not as excited as everyone else seems to be. Yeah it's a great remaster created with love and an admirable attention to detail, but imo it feeds purely on nostalgia. Its biggest problem imo is, dare I say it, Half-Life 1. That was breathtaking, revolutionary at the time, but the novelty has long worn off. What remains is a shooter that does some really interesting things but is extremely linear and the shooting is, how to best put it... not good.

I revisited HL1 (original) a few times over the years, and without the novelty it just didn't age too well. I mean, when I give Doom 1 or Quake 1 another go, I don't play them because of the revolutionary graphics, but because the action is still fun and the soundtracks are brilliant. Black Mesa is essentially HL1 with HL2 graphics, but I'm not really having more fun than I had when just replaying the original. The graphics upgrade doesn't really enhance my experience.

Well it's still better than most modern shooters, we'll see how far I'll make it this time. But I have a strong feeling I'll not finish it again.

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Another game in my library that I'm revisiting because I have proper "disk" space now. I'm a little surprised that of all them this is the only one that I'm actually enjoying, more than I thought I would. I never finished it--not least because it ran catastrophically on my then PC--but I actually might this time. We'll see.

Still refreshing to see how great, seamless, organic, natural its cover mechanics are. Especially after playing Division 2 whose cover mechanics are clunky AF. And the latter is a dedicated cover shooter while ME:A it's only one part of a mix.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Mar 2020 16:40:20 12,531 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll if you werent tuned into the vibe or characters Id have said give up but if youre into either then the gameplay is forgivable
  • Malek86 8 Mar 2020 18:16:58 9,713 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DrStrangelove I'm finding it quite different to play over HL1. Not all of the gameplay changes are good (the shotgun is useless now, the machinegun is over-powered and there's zero point in using the pistol once you get that, vortigaunts look crappy, etc). So I'm hesitant in calling it a definite improvement, other than the graphics. But I'd say they nailed most of it.

I guess it helps that I still find HL1 very good even today.
  • AddyB_ 8 Mar 2020 18:24:08 283 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    After pre ordering RE3 remake I realised I'd not finished RE2 remake and it's been that long I may as well start again as I can't remember shit.

So starting that again later. I've also been playing BloodRoots which is great fun.
  • ChiefGB 8 Mar 2020 19:14:33 12,038 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bought some more expansions for Stellaris in green mans current sale, and seeing as Id bought a few since I last played, thought it best to start a new game.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Mar 2020 20:09:53 12,531 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AddyB_ wrote:
    After pre ordering RE3 remake I realised I'd not finished RE2 remake and it's been that long I may as well start again as I can't remember shit.

So starting that again later. I've also been playing BloodRoots which is great fun.
    I wish I had time to play RE2 again
    Bloody excellent.
  • Carlo 8 Mar 2020 22:16:14 21,013 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Black Mesa

2 hours in and tbh I'm not as excited as everyone else seems to be. Yeah it's a great remaster created with love and an admirable attention to detail, but imo it feeds purely on nostalgia. Its biggest problem imo is, dare I say it, Half-Life 1. That was breathtaking, revolutionary at the time, but the novelty has long worn off. What remains is a shooter that does some really interesting things but is extremely linear and the shooting is, how to best put it... not good.

I revisited HL1 (original) a few times over the years, and without the novelty it just didn't age too well. I mean, when I give Doom 1 or Quake 1 another go, I don't play them because of the revolutionary graphics, but because the action is still fun and the soundtracks are brilliant. Black Mesa is essentially HL1 with HL2 graphics, but I'm not really having more fun than I had when just replaying the original. The graphics upgrade doesn't really enhance my experience.

Well it's still better than most modern shooters, we'll see how far I'll make it this time. But I have a strong feeling I'll not finish it again.
    Conversely, I can't get enough of it and have been playing this all weekend. I think they did a great job modernizing it (but like you said, to 'HL2' level, certainly not 2020 levels!), the enemy are definitely giving me the impression that they are strategically organizing themselves to beat me, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the game.

I'm all the way up to Lambda now, having bought it on Friday.

15 well spent for me.
  • duqunuti 10 Mar 2020 14:51:54 1 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    nhl20
    game without end :D lol
  • rice_sandwich 10 Mar 2020 14:59:44 6,298 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Currently getting into some of my 3ds backlog and have picked up a few dungeon crawlers in the eshop.

Not much on the go on the Switch at the moment - some mucking around in Dungeon Warfare (a cheapo tower defence game which is decent) but I'm not committed to anything specific. I keep thinking about 1CCing various shmups but haven't sat down with one for long enough to get into a groove. Come the 20th it'll be all about Animal Crossing for a long time to come but I'll need something else for some variety.

I'd like to find a game that I would enjoy 100%ing every aspect of and keep playing for a long time. Those sorts of games tend to be grindy but as I don't particularly mind it as long as the core gameplay loop is fine.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 15:00:58 10-03-2020
  • Ror 10 Mar 2020 16:20:48 19,609 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm in ch7 of Yakuza 0 on XBO and absolutely loving it. I played the first hour or so when it came out on PS4, but wasn't really in the mood for it at the time.

Also, I rebought Doom 2016 (2.99 on CDKeys). I have it on XBO, but got a bit bored after a couple of hours. I was wondering if I might enjoy it more if I play it at a bit of a faster pace on kb/m, and three quid seemed like a fair price to take a punt. Might make a start later.

As Rice mentioned the 3DS, it reminded me that there were some decent discounts on a couple of games I'd had my eye on, so was thinking of charging it back up and grabbing Radiant Historia and 7th Dragon (5.39 each on the eShop).
  • Malek86 10 Mar 2020 16:52:25 9,713 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Carlo I'm on two minds on the AI - on one hand it does feel smarter (unsurprisingly, after 20 years), although I don't think their intelligence has improved much other than "move around more". But on the other hand, they are a lot worse at actually aiming at you, their grenade throws are pointless, and there seem to be less scripted moments to catch you off guard.

It doesn't help that the submachine gun now has massive range and so you can kill them easily from a distance.
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Mar 2020 17:08:16 25,419 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    World War Z (gamepass) good fun in 30 minute chunks.
    I also bought TESO, the latest in Elswere, mainly for missus, but I will certainly have a look see. I have a couple of mates who play it a lot and said it is a good time to jump in.
  • MrAGSystems 10 Mar 2020 21:13:45 582 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

It's a surprising mix of Uncharted, God of War and Dark Souls without really hitting the highs of any of those.

The combat is a bit clunky and coming off the back of Bayonetta, it's not super engaging. Boss fights feel far too attritional to be fun. The level design is impressive, at times frustrating and dizzying.

Having said all that, it's definitely fun and worthwhile game. I've a nice pink lightsabre and I'm nearing the end. it's very Star Wars without leaning on any of the trilogy(s), the characters are pretty decent too.
  • Ror 11 Mar 2020 13:14:04 19,609 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved Fallen Order. Definitely carried a fair bit by the license (and the fact that I really wanted an action-adventure SW game anyway), but everything else was 'good enough' to be carried along.

I've a feeling a sequel will be like an AssCreed 2 moment.
  • creepiest-lizard 11 Mar 2020 13:20:42 1,123 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They'll probably add a fucking multiplayer to it.
  • Ror 11 Mar 2020 13:25:17 19,609 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't know, Respawn seem to have a bit of pull in EA somehow - Fallen Order didn't even have microtransactions (this despite having some customisation stuff that you could easily imagine being tied into purchases).

There'll be a Titanfall 3 along at some point, and that along with an ongoing Apex means Respawn will have MP stuff covered.
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2020 13:42:55 35,981 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Half life 2 and it's episodes ready for Alyx.

Still plays brilliantly.
  • HookJaw 11 Mar 2020 13:47:06 169 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    AddyB_ wrote:

I wish I had time to play RE2 again
    Bloody excellent.
    Like a coward, I gave up and uninstalled it as soon as Mr X appeared. Any game where I can't kill the antagonist fills me with dread.
    See also: Alien Isolation, Outlast 2 (I couldn't get past the first villagers!) and the Reanimators in RE4.
  • QBX 12 Mar 2020 12:59:04 143 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mario vs DK 2: MotM (DS)

I've reached the point where I'm close to launching my DS at the wall. The game is overly precise with the touch screen gestures and unless you have the exact correct movement then your more than likely to stop the Marios breaking your combo. If your going for gold then that is a restart.

It's fucking frustrating getting to the end of a level only for one of the little bastards to stop and have to start all over again.
  • Ror 14 Mar 2020 13:12:27 19,609 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've fallen down a massive rabbit hole with the real estate minigame in Yakuza 0, to the point where it has become the game itself.

So far I've maxed the Leisure and Electronics areas (100% share, all properties S rank), and now have 6/10 properties in Pleasure. Raking in about Y200,000,000 every six minutes or so.

I should really crack on with the story...
  • ChiefGB 15 Mar 2020 00:38:12 12,038 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have you unlocked hostesses yet?
  • Mola_Ram 15 Mar 2020 00:41:51 22,783 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nugget is MVP in the real estate game.
  • Malek86 15 Mar 2020 07:35:21 9,713 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gonarch's Lair was really improved in Black Mesa. Let's see if Interloper is also better.
  • Ror 15 Mar 2020 17:38:44 19,609 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Have you unlocked hostesses yet?
    Yeah, I've done a bit of Majima's business, but nowhere near as much as the real estate. I'm on a Majima chapter now, so might give it some more attention.

Mola_Ram wrote:
    Nugget is MVP in the real estate game.
    I had a go at getting three strikes in a row and had to admit defeat :( will try again on the next Kiryu chapter (will no doubt need to consult a guide).

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.