What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 141

• Fonzie 27 Mar 2020 13:02:15 3,421 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon not really tried the parrying in this yet. Will give it a go later on.
  • Dombat 28 Mar 2020 00:21:13 1,778 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trying to narrow my focus on the games I'm playing now, which is mostly:

Death Stranding
    The Witcher 3
    Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Taking my time with all of them and enjoying them.
  • EMarkM 28 Mar 2020 07:47:38 4,945 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, Iím still on Witcher 3 (standard PS4) and Ocarina of Time (New 3DS XL),

~Edit~ Oop, there was supposed to be more written here!

Witcher Iíve just got to Skellige (well, a few weeks ago) and watched the ďceremonyĒ bit. Honestly, not sure Iíll touch it again.

Ocarina I got to the final boss inside Jabu last night, but have not beaten him yet.

Edited by EMarkM at 08:02:12 28-03-2020
  • kentmonkey 28 Mar 2020 13:37:42 23,612 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Air Combat 7.

Never really played one before. Quite enjoying it. It's fairly limited (I would like to be able to give commands to my wingmen, for example, and choose where I started missions for a bit more depth) but enjoying it.

Probably going to end up a 7/10 experience overall but nice to play something different.
  • Bichii 28 Mar 2020 13:41:10 3,171 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ff7 demo. Well that was a pleasant surprise, I had written it off but enjoyed that. Seems to be £60 on PSN though so they can poke it.
  • Malek86 28 Mar 2020 13:47:22 10,162 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    These days, I'm back to Dance Central 3 as a workout tool. Thirty minutes per day keep me, if not actually fit, at least somewhat active.

Shame that I missed my chance to import the DC1 and DC2 tracklists.
  • EMarkM 28 Mar 2020 14:07:47 4,945 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Ff7 demo. Well that was a pleasant surprise, I had written it off but enjoyed that. Seems to be £60 on PSN though so they can poke it.
    £60 chuffiní po-unds?

Blimey! I think a ďwait and seeĒ strategy applies :|
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Mar 2020 14:18:03 28,864 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    On the Switch I have Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Fire Emblem on the go. As gf is hogging it for Animal Crossing, I'm also giving the PS4 some love.

I bought Ass Creed Origins as it was cheapo, see if it holds my attention after Spiderman and God of War didn't.
    I also started Persona 5 again, I'm only a few hours in, I think I stopped it as the 100 hours was daunting. However, I really enjoyed it last night, maybe I'm in the mood for it now..
    I put a few hours into Persona 5 (6 in total) and decided that I love it so I'm going to stop and buy Persona 5 Royal and enjoy the 4k glory.
    Such a cool game, music, visuals, style, story all great so far.
  • ChiefGB 29 Mar 2020 21:37:31 12,565 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh donít tell me itís in 4K 😔
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Mar 2020 22:13:54 9,005 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @ChiefGB It's in 4K. Compared to other genres, the jump in resolution isn't as instantly noticable, but it still looks sharper and more polished than the original. Plus it seems, on the basis of the first couple of hours, to be fucking awesome.

Yeah, Amazon brought my copy early.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Mar 2020 23:56:56 13,992 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    Bichii wrote:
    £60 chuffiní po-unds?

Blimey! I think a ďwait and seeĒ strategy applies :|
    The PSN prices outside of the sales are bullshit. Even in sales they can been noticeably higher than retail
  • TechnoHippy 30 Mar 2020 13:30:52 17,506 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Darksiders Genesis - quite fun so far, with some annoying platforming bits, but the running around is a decent hack and slash.
  • andytheadequate 31 Mar 2020 00:46:20 9,211 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Currently playing Assassins Creed Origins that I bought in a Humble Monthly last summer.

Not sure why I bothered to redeem the code, I've always disliked AC and Ubisoft games are generally badly optimised on PC so my laptop would probably struggle with it. The setting didn't really appeal to me either. I think this was the 6th AC game I'd played in total (AC1, 2, Revelations, 3, Unity), and out of those I'd only ever completed 2, but even that wasn't great.

I decided to give it a 20 minute go using Geforce Now to see if it was any better than previous games. I'd heard some good things about it, but then again, a lot of reviewers liked the other games as well. I have a tendency to give up on single player games very quickly, generally only multiplayer or co-op games can hold my attention now.

My first impressions weren't great, the game starts in a tomb where you have to fight a few people and collect endless loot, but I could tell the fighting and jumping mechanics felt better at least. The game started to grab my interest when you get to the first city; as with most AC games, the game world is pretty spectacular.

The first proper mission involved taking out a few enemies defending a house. I love games that give you a mini sandbox of a level and allow you to figure out how you want to deal with it. Deus Ex games are good at this, and Origins has a similar feel, but with the added bonus of being able to climb anything. Most of the missions are set up like this, but the game gives you more ways of dealing with enemies so it's still fun, even if some of the locations are a bit copy and paste. I particularly love using the eagle to find objectives, tag enemies and scout out the area. It actually feels like you can plan ahead and figure out your own tactics, rather than relying on the game to sign post it, or accidentally stumbling into some enemies that leads to a Benny Hill running away sequence or having to fight them.

My other gripes with previous AC games have also been resolved. The mechanics are no longer frustrating, especially the free running. In previous games I always ended up jumping the wrong direction, or getting stuck on a wall, but it's not really happened in Origins yet. They also no longer really bother with the modern day stuff (there's been 5 minutes in the 8 hours I've played so far). I always used to cringe in the Animus sections, and never really understood why they bothered with it, so pleased it no longer seems to be big part of the story.

I'm a bit worried that it will go on for too long and outstay it's welcome, but so far I'm loving it.

Edited by andytheadequate at 00:50:30 31-03-2020
  • Rum_Monkey 31 Mar 2020 00:48:48 969 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Doom eternal.

Good chaotic fun, but it's so chaotic I have to limit my playtime to around an hour with it.
  • Bichii 31 Mar 2020 00:49:38 3,171 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Interesting read as I generally hate AC but origins tempted me in the sale this week.
  • Zippity-zap 31 Mar 2020 02:40:56 555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One Step From Eden

I mentioned this in the switch thread. Itís...a hardcore grid-based bullet hell action roguelike, with card (spells) battling elements. Probably the best indie game I have played since Slay the Spire or Dead Cells. Very steep learning curve initially, but very much worth it.
  • Steve-Perry 31 Mar 2020 10:25:13 1,491 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I've just been through Sonic Mania and finally finished it with super sonic. I really like the sonic CD special stages now. I fucking hated them at first. All the Sonic CD levels are awful though. They look like shit, are way too long, have stupid navigation. Reminded me why I never liked that game.

Which lead me on to Sonic Generations. I've had it in my steam library for about 7 years untouched, as I don't like the 3D games. I thought I would give it a spin as the Green Hill Zone looks fairly glorious.

The 2D sections are great. Still a bit excessive with turbo boosts all over the place and less emphasis on careful platforming, but they are well implemented. The physics in these sections are still a bit off. Like Sonic 4 Episode 2, it doesn't quite feel right, despite being close. Bit floaty and certain jumps which should be easy are hard. Sonic's jump height is way too short too.

The 3D sections are largely as awful as every single sonic game since the Dreamcast. Why they persist with this shite is beyond me.

The graphics are still very good. And the levels are fun, it's like a greatest hits of album in this regard. City Escape had me grinning a fair bit.

Bosses are shit though. And no special stages? Come on...

Half the game is an 8/10, the other half a 5/10. The penny almost dropped with this game, that they could make a 2.5D style sonic game but kept the classic gameplay. Close, but no cigar.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 10:35:38 31-03-2020
  • andytheadequate 31 Mar 2020 11:18:17 9,211 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Interesting read as I generally hate AC but origins tempted me in the sale this week.
    I was surprised too, it still feels like an AC game, but one where they actually tried to fix the issues with the series rather than just churning out a new story in a new location. I've heard good things about Odyssey too.
  • ChiefGB 31 Mar 2020 15:00:53 12,565 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Found it pretty bland tbh, odyssey was much better
  • beastmaster 31 Mar 2020 22:47:06 20,920 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Terminator: Resistance

Despite it being a bit crappy and repetitive, Iím enjoying it quite a bit.
  • Nitrous 3 Apr 2020 07:22:33 2,049 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Days Gone. Purchased yesterday in the PSN sale with credit I got a few months ago and I can't put it down. The gunplay seems similar to TLOU and I especially like riding around on the bike.

Xbox is being played by the wife in another room.
    I stupidly downloaded Two Point Hospital thinking she'd play it for a bit and get bored.... No far from it.
  • JoeBlade 3 Apr 2020 11:45:00 5,094 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nier: Automata.

Well this is weird. It has RPG elements but isn't quite an RPG, it has spectacle fighter elements but isn't quite a spectacle fighter.
    And yet, I like it a lot. It's strange but yet it's very good. I'm constantly thinking "what the hell?" but at the same time I'm having fun.

Really bizarre but most enjoyable.
  • JoeBlade 3 Apr 2020 13:42:54 5,094 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Also: Grim Dawn

I honestly think it's the best ARPG I've ever played. It has a surprising amount of depth and a unique style. It's been largely overshadowed by Diablo 3 but I think that's completely unjustified.

You can pick it up on the very cheap now so I'd urge fans of this genre to give it a go. The only downside - if that matters to you - is that the multiplayer community is next to non-existent.
  • ryan_isthisit 3 Apr 2020 14:03:58 28 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Right, I bought Mass Effect Adromeda, against my better judgement. Iím about ninety minutes in and itís all very polished and pretty; the bugs that I heard so often about have seemingly been eradicated. So, my question for anyone helpful enough to answer is: is it worth playing, or is it bloated and full of pointless busy work?
    I ordered Control from ShopTo a fucking week ago, first class, but itís still not turned up. So Iím stuck trying to find something I fancy playing...
  • PierrePressure 3 Apr 2020 14:19:46 1,111 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Forza Horizon 4 - absolutely brilliant so far, my favourite racing game for a very long time.

Halo 4 - I've only completed the first level and it feels like Halo of old, think I'm going to finish this, then 5 in prep for the neew Halo and Xbox.

Both off gamepass.
  • Malek86 3 Apr 2020 14:28:00 10,162 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just started Lords of Shadow 2 today. Funny how many Castlevania references they drop in the tutorial and intro alone. It's like they wanted to make it up to those people who thought LoS1 was Castlevania in name only.
  • HelloNo 3 Apr 2020 17:29:17 2,191 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @ryan_isthisit There is busywork, but it's fairly easy to spot and you can ignore in favour of the more interesting quests.
  • ChiefGB 3 Apr 2020 20:06:43 12,565 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ryan_isthisit Iíd go with the latter of your two opinions, but yeah you can probably avoid a tonne of it.
  • waggy79 3 Apr 2020 22:00:16 2,297 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just started replaying Super Mario 3D World after messing with Cemu in preparation for the deluxe Switch release.

What a beautiful, joyous game. Just what I'm after right now.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.