What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 142

• Darth_Flibble 4 Apr 2020 08:30:07 4,240 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Guacamelee 2

The first one is leaving gamepass and I played it back when it was on psn+, so thought I would give the sequel ago before it leaves GP.

First of all its really hits the gamer over the head with the video game references and the devs no doubt they think they are so funny. But nice graphics and seems very much like the 1st game so far from what I remember
  • Malek86 4 Apr 2020 08:49:40 10,090 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Guacamelee 2 really is meme town. I dunno, maybe they were running out of ideas. There are still some great jokes in there, but some others just made me roll my eyes up so far that I almost couldn't put them back in place.

Edited by Malek86 at 08:50:15 04-04-2020
  • Mola_Ram 4 Apr 2020 08:58:11 23,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the cosmetic stuff (aside from the humour) is pretty much the only thing I actually like about Guacamelee. I guess it comes a lot down to taste, but I hate the combat, hate the platforming, hate the difficulty spikes. It's a shame, because the game looks so good!
  • Darth_Flibble 4 Apr 2020 09:04:19 4,240 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    At the start its: LOOK ITS FUCKING LIMBO, YOU REMEMBER THE GAME LIMBO, YOU MEMBER DRAGON NINJA??????? I MEMBER

the platforming and using the rooster punch to get to grapple points is a bit shit at times especially I recently finished Ori 2
  • Mola_Ram 4 Apr 2020 09:06:19 23,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think that was the thing that shat me with the platforming in Guacamelee. In theory, using the same moves that you use in combat for platforming is a cool idea. In practice, it's fiddly and annoying as fuck.
  • AddyB- 4 Apr 2020 09:25:10 701 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Started Detroit: Become Human last night and could not put it down. Totally engrossing stuff.

I did eventually put it down for a few games of hustle kings though 😄
  • Darth_Flibble 4 Apr 2020 09:32:38 4,240 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The instant kill red items are pain, worst ones are in side rooms to get heart or stamina piece so far
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Apr 2020 09:47:44 25,859 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @AddyB_
    Nice one mate, I enjoyed DBH a lot. I didn't reply as I felt the/my story was enough. But I did watch several YT bits post game ;)
  • AddyB- 4 Apr 2020 09:54:18 701 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @AddyB_
    Nice one mate, I enjoyed DBH a lot. I didn't reply as I felt the/my story was enough. But I did watch several YT bits post game ;)
    Yeah it's definitely something id consider replaying to see other outcomes.
  • Samildanach 4 Apr 2020 09:55:13 310 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Malek86 I loved LOS2 despite its significant flaws. The Castle sections are great, I thought the combat was much more fluid than the first game (excepting the wretched shotgun wielding small fry blowing all your health away with little warning) and the bosses were all fantastic set pieces. The dreadful sections avoiding the big rocket launcher dudes were mercifully brief (though unfortunately set near the start of the game on the whole), so don't be put off by them. A later stealth bit involving not treading on leaves is poor too, and they unfortunately clearly ran out of time and budget for the last part of the game as it seems very rushed, especially the ending. Don't be put off, the good outweighs the bad in my opinion. Oh, and I recommend using the items on annoying small fry battles and not the boss battles to avoid them being too easy spam fests. Instead use the later acquired mist ability to dodge boss attacks as well as your dash and block, great fun.

Edited by Samildanach at 09:56:58 04-04-2020
  • ChiefGB 4 Apr 2020 11:00:45 12,490 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Doesnít sound like shotgun and rocket dudes belong in a Castlevania game......:.:
  • Malek86 4 Apr 2020 11:33:21 10,090 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Samildanach wrote:
    @Malek86 I loved LOS2 despite its significant flaws. The Castle sections are great, I thought the combat was much more fluid than the first game (excepting the wretched shotgun wielding small fry blowing all your health away with little warning) and the bosses were all fantastic set pieces. The dreadful sections avoiding the big rocket launcher dudes were mercifully brief (though unfortunately set near the start of the game on the whole), so don't be put off by them. A later stealth bit involving not treading on leaves is poor too, and they unfortunately clearly ran out of time and budget for the last part of the game as it seems very rushed, especially the ending. Don't be put off, the good outweighs the bad in my opinion. Oh, and I recommend using the items on annoying small fry battles and not the boss battles to avoid them being too easy spam fests. Instead use the later acquired mist ability to dodge boss attacks as well as your dash and block, great fun.
    Yeah, LOS2 actually reminds me a lot of Blood Omen 2. Not least because of the protagonist (Dracula is somewhat reminescent of BO2 Kain, whom unfortunately didn't hold a candle to BO1 Kain), but also because it mixes the old stuff with new modern day nonsense, and generally adds a mission-based structure, a guy that acts as mission control, and some useless stealth parts.

Mind, as much as I found BO2 boring, beheading people with a mace in mist form was always fun.

I'm having some fun with this game, anyway. The setpieces are impressive, and you can disable QTEs to actually enjoy said setpieces. The story seems like a load of bollocks and I'm not sure about the open maps, but we'll see how it evolves.

Most significantly, it's easy to see that it was a very late last-gen release, because there are a few quality of life features that you would only expect in a current gen game.

ChiefGB wrote:
    Doesnít sound like shotgun and rocket dudes belong in a Castlevania game......:.:
    Yeah, tell me about it. Funny to see Dracula knowing immediately how to use an elevator panel despite just waking up from centuries of slumber.

Edited by Malek86 at 11:44:31 04-04-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 4 Apr 2020 11:48:01 4,240 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Its kind of funny how some thought LOS was not really true castlevania game then some dickhead developer thinks "I know, lets put in shotgun and rocket dudes into LOS2!!!"
  • ChiefGB 4 Apr 2020 11:56:13 12,490 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually though he was taking the piss to begin with, I can suspend my disbelief in games in general but this does sound like itís pushing it. I remember enjoying the first but I donít think I completed it, maybe I did Iíll dig through 8 years of achievements to look.......
  • Samildanach 4 Apr 2020 13:33:53 310 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah the plot is mostly bollocks in LOS2. The game was incorrectly advertised as open world when it is actually a series of loosely interconnected, fairly linear levels.
  • Samildanach 4 Apr 2020 13:37:21 310 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To be fair about the shotgun and rocket launcher enemies, they are set in a modern age city. They had backed themselves into a corner with the ending of LOS1 where Dracula wakes up in said modern city (for the SHOCK value), and had to continue the story from there.
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Apr 2020 13:43:14 25,859 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    I actually though he was taking the piss to begin with, I can suspend my disbelief.
    Whenever I read this, I think of this.

"George: Sir, itís artistic licence. Itís willing suspension of
    disbelief.

Blackadder: Well, Iím not having anyone staring in disbelief at my
    willie suspension. Now, get on and paint the bloody thing,
    sharpish!
  • Darth_Flibble 4 Apr 2020 13:47:41 4,240 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They still didn't have to use shotgun and rocket launcher enemies, also in old GS review it shows some of the level design, really dull looking pipe levels (which is right up with generic looking sewer levels, devs love putting into games)
  • Malek86 4 Apr 2020 14:25:55 10,090 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I swear though, they could have called this game Blood Omen 3 and I'd have been okay with it. That's the vibe I'm getting from it.
  • Samildanach 4 Apr 2020 16:13:51 310 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble
    A lot of the city has an ornate/gothic style. There are some visually dull sections but it isn't long before it changes again. Unfortunately the first 'level' in the city is one of the most boring sections in both combat and visuals. It probably has put a lot of people off from reaching some of the midgame glorious heights like the Puppet Master boss.

Edited by Samildanach at 16:14:09 04-04-2020

Edited by Samildanach at 16:14:52 04-04-2020
  • spookyxelectric 4 Apr 2020 16:54:15 37 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • spookyxelectric 4 Apr 2020 16:54:16 37 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @AddyB_ Ahh, I started that a few months ago but forgot to finish it. I did really enjoy it though, so I'll probably go back to it soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Very similarly, I started Telltale's Batman last night. I actually didn't think I was going to have the patience for it, but I ended up playing through the first three chapters back to back. Absolutely loving it. I think I'll finish it today, then figure out whether I want to jump into Season 2, or Life Is Strange 2. I bought both on a recent sale, so they're already downloaded and installed.

Kind of glad I finally gave Telltale's Batman a go. I was in a bit of a gaming rut where I wasn't enjoying anything, but I've been reinvigorated a bit by this.
  • richyroo 4 Apr 2020 18:18:49 446 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    spookyxelectric wrote:
    @AddyB_ Ahh, I started that a few months ago but forgot to finish it. I did really enjoy it though, so I'll probably go back to it soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Very similarly, I started Telltale's Batman last night. I actually didn't think I was going to have the patience for it, but I ended up playing through the first three chapters back to back. Absolutely loving it. I think I'll finish it today, then figure out whether I want to jump into Season 2, or Life Is Strange 2. I bought both on a recent sale, so they're already downloaded and installed.

Kind of glad I finally gave Telltale's Batman a go. I was in a bit of a gaming rut where I wasn't enjoying anything, but I've been reinvigorated a bit by this.
    I finished Life is Strange 2 on Monday and still thinking about the game today. Itís absolutely fantastic and doesnít pull any punches.
  • Malek86 4 Apr 2020 19:00:33 10,090 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    At the start its: LOOK ITS FUCKING LIMBO, YOU REMEMBER THE GAME LIMBO, YOU MEMBER DRAGON NINJA??????? I MEMBER

the platforming and using the rooster punch to get to grapple points is a bit shit at times especially I recently finished Ori 2
    There are some actually great jokes later on, but the first impression isn't good. I was this close to dropping it in the first hour.
  • Theshape80 5 Apr 2020 08:49:40 289 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    StarCraft 2. As itís free to play I decided to give it a try. Havenít played a Rts since command and conquer way back. Like what Iíve played so far. The campaign seems pretty good at easing me into different units etc. Nice varied missions as well. Only thing Iím struggling with is all the hotkeys.
  • AddyB- 5 Apr 2020 10:49:13 701 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @spookyxelectric

Not played telltale batman but love Detroit. It's wonderful and that's not a word I like to use lol.
    Just utterly engrossed in all story arcs so far. One of the best experiences I've had in recent times.
  • Reacher 5 Apr 2020 11:12:12 2,984 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Detroit is brilliant. I loved it.

Currently playing Hunt :Showdown.with my mates on ps4. Its pretty tense and interesting mix of pvp, pve and monster hunter. The setting looks stunning too.
  • spookyxelectric 6 Apr 2020 05:51:46 37 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AddyB_ wrote:
    @spookyxelectric

Not played telltale batman but love Detroit. It's wonderful and that's not a word I like to use lol.
    Just utterly engrossed in all story arcs so far. One of the best experiences I've had in recent times.
    Damn, son. I just finished Episode 4 of Batman Season 2 and I thought it was the end, but there's one episode left. I'll finish up Detroit once I'm done with this, but I do recommend Telltale's Batman games. People have said Season 2 is better than 1, and it is, but I'm not sure if it's as impactful as if you don't play the first season.

After I finish this and Detroit up, I'll play LiS2. I loved the original and liked BtS well enough, but as people have mentipned, it takes days to be emotionally right after playing those, which I think is why I put off LiS2 and any other point and click adventure since. I need to be prepared to feel. And Batman did make me feel, but I know it isn't the same as Life is Strange.

Edited by spookyxelectric at 06:15:25 06-04-2020
  • Mola_Ram 7 Apr 2020 07:15:54 23,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have a PC again, and have just added Invisible Inc again to my list of things that I am playing.

God it is still so, so fucking good. Well-animated, tense, and filled with delicious decisions and temptation (sure, I could leave now, buuuuut... THERE'S A ROOM OVER THERE AND IT MIGHT HAVE MONEY IN IT OH FUCK WHERE DID THAT CAMERA DRONE COME FROM). And if there's anything that you don't like about the gameplay, you can just turn it off in a custom campaign!

If I had to think of any flaw, I think the procedural generation sometimes doesn't work so well. Like, it sometimes creates tiny little rooms that don't really fit, and it lessens the feeling that you're sneaking around a real building. Sometimes I've seen rooms with a couple of cameras in them, and literally nothing else. It's something that could probably be improved with a few tweaks.

But yeah, it's basically perfect. I wish Klei stopped doing Don't Starve and all that crap, and focused on turn-based stuff. They clearly have a knack for it.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 01:02:11 08-04-2020
  • AddyB- 7 Apr 2020 19:54:30 701 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Had to buy bioshock collection again as it was only £8.99 on PS4. Will start the first one after I'm done with Detroit.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.