What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 146

• Awimbawe 29 Apr 2020 10:24:19 642 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Snowrunner on PC. Fantastic game that I must have put 3 or 4 hours into and barely done a thing in it but still manages to be relaxing and tense at the same time. Looks and runs great too on a decent ( ish ) PC.
  • Malek86 29 Apr 2020 21:31:17 9,985 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Uhh, just started Nier Automata, and there's no checkpoints in the first part? I died against the big boss and now I have to restart from the beginning? And I can't even skip the damn Space Invaders section?

Tell me this gets better. It's not 1994 anymore.

Edit: powered through, and now I can finally save. Whew. Let's see if it gets better from here.

Edited by Malek86 at 22:03:54 29-04-2020
  • JoeBlade 29 Apr 2020 22:10:51 4,882 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Uhh, just started Nier Automata, and there's no checkpoints in the first part? I died against the big boss and now I have to restart from the beginning? And I can't even skip the damn Space Invaders section?

It's just that one section. It's a gimmick, once you get past it checkpoints will be enabled. I was initially frustrated by it as well but trust me, it's worth persevering.

The boss is fairly easy once you learn how to dodge properly. Dodge is basically two seconds or so of invincibility frames in this game and when you time it right that boss is relatively easy actually.
  • Nitrous 29 Apr 2020 23:12:49 1,986 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Awimbawe wrote:
    Snowrunner on PC. Fantastic game that I must have put 3 or 4 hours into and barely done a thing in it but still manages to be relaxing and tense at the same time. Looks and runs great too on a decent ( ish ) PC.
    Same! Although most of my time has been spent getting it to run with a stable fame rate. Got it to around 35fps with occasional dips to mid 20's. That's with medium quality settings for most of it.

I'm on an old G3258 overclock from 3.2 to 4.2Ghz with a EVGA GTX 750 (Ftw) I've no idea if I can overclock that card as its something I've not done before.

Like you say though looks rather good!
  • Graxlar_v3 29 Apr 2020 23:20:18 9,902 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Trials of cold steel
    Darksiders

At the moment.
  • HookJaw 29 Apr 2020 23:37:45 269 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Just restarted Prey on the easiest setting. I abandoned it 2 years ago. I was enjoying the experience, but then suddenly hit a brick wall with a spike in the difficulty. Tried to pick up from my last save file tonight, but was completely lost.

Hopefully I'll manage to complete it this time.

Funnily enough, I did the exact same thing with Dishonored 2: enjoyed the experience until I hit a big difficulty spike (large mechanical robot things) and then completely abandoned it.
  • Malek86 30 Apr 2020 06:07:18 9,985 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I learned to abuse the dodge move and the boss went down like a ton of bricks.

Still kinda don't like this game. The combat is pretty annoying, as in all Platinum stuff. I hate the constant camera shifts. I guess shooting things is okay. I'm pretty much only playing for the story and dat music anyway.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just cut my future losses and play on easy, but this being one of those crazy auteur games, I'm worried that I might get some kind of penalty later on.
  • DUFFMAN5 30 Apr 2020 08:37:34 25,693 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Saul_Iscariot
    Sorry mate only just seen

Yes to LL, Totally worth playing. Excellent game. Just as much love and care As the mainline games. A lot of people rate it above the numbered entries.

As for UC4, it is all gravy until, I can't say...luckily you would have done everything at this point but I'm sure you will enjoy it.
  • Malek86 1 May 2020 13:52:31 9,985 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still going through Nier Automata, still not convinced.

Just got to the peaceful machines village. I think I'd enjoy it more if traversal weren't so slow, the combat so chaotic, and the sidequests so fetch-questing.

What's more, everyone says you have to play it mutliple times to really get to the good parts. And I don't even know how long one playthrough is, nevermind several...
  • wuntyate 1 May 2020 14:17:16 14,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You've lasted longer than I have. I got to the bit with the machines all shagging each other before heading out into a vast bland desert and realised that it really wasn't my kind of game.

Edited by wuntyate at 14:17:34 01-05-2020
  • Malek86 1 May 2020 14:26:40 9,985 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, tbf I'm probably just gonna drop it here. I guess my time is better spent elsewhere.

Edit: I was told that fast travel will arrive sooner rather than later, so I might stick it to Easy and just play it once, simply to see where the story ends up.

Edited by Malek86 at 15:06:26 01-05-2020
  • neil74 1 May 2020 15:28:22 2,330 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Back onto the Witcher 3. Not played it in 2 years but I am about 10 hours or so into my second stint and about to leave for the Isle of Mists. Probably another 30 hours at least left so no guarantees I will finish it this time!

What a great game though!
  • docrob 1 May 2020 22:40:46 1,533 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    HookJaw wrote:
    Just restarted Prey on the easiest setting. I abandoned it 2 years ago. I was enjoying the experience, but then suddenly hit a brick wall with a spike in the difficulty. Tried to pick up from my last save file tonight, but was completely lost.

Hopefully I'll manage to complete it this time.

Funnily enough, I did the exact same thing with Dishonored 2: enjoyed the experience until I hit a big difficulty spike (large mechanical robot things) and then completely abandoned it.
    I abandoned Prey because of a huge difficulty spike a few weeks ago. Was well pissed off as I was enjoying it and wanted to finish.
  • Darth_Flibble 2 May 2020 10:39:47 4,185 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Control

started a few weeks ago and been dipping in and out. While I like the game, the amount of health you lose when hit is a joke. Trying to do the Salvador boss fight (just read to get the Seize power to help) and its massive difficulty spike as one hit from him can do about 70% damage, does not help the screen is red light effect, so its hard to see rockets. Close to "fuzzy ducking" this game. Also the checkpointing is still bad

Edited by Darth_Flibble at 10:39:56 02-05-2020
  • QBX 3 May 2020 16:15:35 160 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts (Game Pass)

I'd played the demo years ago but having nearly completed Yooka-Laylee wanted to see if there was anything salvageable for my collecting fix.

Driving aside I'm finding it hard to get into. The opening level is gorgeous and reminds me of some of the most recent Yoshi games but having to enter/exit different doors for quests really interferes with the flow. Also none of what I've done so far has really grabbed me and made me want to play on.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 May 2020 16:43:16 28,692 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:

Edit: powered through, and now I can finally save. Whew. Let's see if it gets better from here.
    Haha, you're me from a month or two ago.
  • Kay 3 May 2020 16:44:34 20,497 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    For some reason I've been a bit obsessed with Outrun over the past few days. Been alternating between the original on the 3DS (which looks pretty amazing with the 3D effect), Coast 2 Coast on the PSP and I dug out my 360 just to play through Outrun Online Arcade in glorious HD.

I never appreciated Outrun 2 much in its various guises much back in the day, as it seemed a bit too simplistic and lacking compared to other racing games at the time, but as an update to the 80s original it was pretty much perfect, and is still as playable as ever. A remaster on the Switch with all the content included would be ideal, but alas it won't happen, so I'll just have to be glad with the fact that I bought the 360 version before it was delisted and can still play it.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 May 2020 16:45:02 28,692 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Yeah, tbf I'm probably just gonna drop it here. I guess my time is better spent elsewhere.

Edit: I was told that fast travel will arrive sooner rather than later, so I might stick it to Easy and just play it once, simply to see where the story ends up.
    I "completed" it once, started the next playthrough and after an hour gave up and watched the story on YouTube. I don't regret the decision.
    Interesting but hugely flawed game.
  • Malek86 3 May 2020 18:51:12 9,985 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I ultimately stuck with it. On easy difficulty, you breeze past any encounters and can get straight to the good parts (ie. the story, although even that is debatable - the final third of the game is arguably pretty bad, at least in the first route)

Now, I don't like that you must repeat the game with a different character, but you can go through it even faster and there's enough new cutscenes to make it interesting... although most of these cutscenes could have been easily been put in the main route, so it still feels like unnecessary padding.

I'll keep it up, I guess. What convinced me is that I've been told by just about everyone, incljding those that didn't like the game, that the story get much more interesting after the second playthrough. We shall see how true that is.

Edited by Malek86 at 18:51:24 03-05-2020
  • wuntyate 4 May 2020 00:19:22 14,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Terminator Resistance

So yeah. It's basic. But by Arnie's tits is it not really rather good. Visually its jank but the lighting, aberration and grain cover a lot of that. The movement and actual gameplay is at least a decade out of date. The npcs are robotic (lols). Yet it's awesome. Can't recommend it compared to what else is out there, but i can if you're a big Terminator fan. You shoot t-800s as HKs fly overhead and the terminator-esqe music plays. That's all i need in a game as it turns out.
  • Bichii 4 May 2020 07:53:52 2,869 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rdr2.

Most games I almost rush through as there are so many games and so little time. For some reason in rdr2 I can play for an hour and not even do a mission. I'll just enjoy the view, play some poker, hunt an animal, hang out at the camp chatting to the gang and the list goes on. Such an intricate and beautifully created world that I want to see it all.

I think my first play through took almost 7 weeks and this will likely be the same. So many great missions like the drinking with Lenny that I did last night.

Oh and John is easily the character I like the least, such a moaning, shit father, moaning, annoying voice etc. I'm nice to everyone in camp except him and uncle. I think Charles and Sadie are my favourite.

Edited by Bichii at 07:56:41 04-05-2020
  • Mythica 4 May 2020 16:55:41 118 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Returned to Days Gone with the intent of bagging my first Platinum trophy. I don't usually go in for trophy hunting, but being as I'd done 65% of them and absolutely love Days Gone I thought why the hell not.

Also continuing with RDR 2 and have begun V-Rally 4, the latter of which is a lot of fun in an old school kind of way.
  • Darth_Flibble 4 May 2020 21:25:18 4,185 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    all on psnow

Surgeon simulator (ps4)

Thought I would give it ago and got bored in about 15 minutes, I know the bad controls are part of the game but its not fun with the controller, its ok to mess around and dragging a saw over a persons face and hammer their ribs (then I played Surgeon simulator) ;) Uninstalled

Gravity rush 2

Just started this and its really nice game, the 1st game (on ps4) was good but the vita port held back a bit. Looks amazing in action and so far its been fun (the 1st game had some annoying timed missions and got a bit repetitive). Also free DLC episode and an 2B costume on store

XCOM 2

Played this a while ago when it was first on psn plus, as its over priced on xbox one at the minute for some reason. I went back to my old save but it was too late to turn it around as the base placement really fucked me over

Started again today with tips from youtube channel someone told me about on here and its helping.
  • Rum_Monkey 5 May 2020 01:04:25 607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Links Awakening on the switch.

I had it on the OG Gameboy and never got around to finishing it. I lent it to a friend before I completed it and he broke it so never did get to the end.

It's amazing how's it's captured what I thought the game looked like as a kid. It's been a while but I still remember so much about it.
  • Malek86 5 May 2020 15:41:03 9,985 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Crap, I completed Nier twice, the second time took me just five hours because I skipped everything... and now something completely different is coming up.

I have to wonder what kind of self-absorbed director would force you to play the game twice (the differences are minor and mostly just background explanation that could have easily been done during the first playthrough) before showing you the rest of the story.
  • Darth_Flibble 5 May 2020 16:36:16 4,185 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    I have to wonder what kind of self-absorbed director would force you to play the game twice (the differences are minor and mostly just background explanation that could have easily been done during the first playthrough) before showing you the rest of the story.

the type of director to wear this mask
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhAKvjgUEAAXp0Q.jpg
  • Darth_Flibble 7 May 2020 19:47:39 4,185 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Picked up xcom 2 + some dlc in this weeks xbox sale

The alien hunter dlc is some fucking bullshit, as even if you don't tick it, it still puts into your game. The new boss aliens show up really early (if you don't tick it, so its not fucking optional idiots devs) with long health and armour but can move/attack every time each one of solider does. fuck that king viper

almost killed it the second time but might have start again and delete the AH dlc :( I know some will say its xcom but those are the people who think xcom hits them because it loves them ;)

Edited by Darth_Flibble at 19:47:53 07-05-2020
  • Mola_Ram 8 May 2020 01:01:53 23,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's XCOM, it hits you because it loves you.

I agree that the Alien Rulers are kind of bullshit (even the Chosen don't get to act every time they see you take an action), but they're not impossible. You can beat them with cautious play!

The War of the Chosen DLC also changes the way they're introduced, so you don't run into one until you try to destroy an alien facility.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 01:13:04 08-05-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 May 2020 07:02:47 13,239 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Are there any games like X-Com that are piss easy?

Preferably on PS4
  • Mola_Ram 8 May 2020 07:34:19 23,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I dunno, it's a genre that lends itself more to the HARDCORE GAMER. But Mario vs. Rabbids is a nice, easier (though still not super easy) take on it.

I've heard good things about the Warhammer 40k XCOM game (Mechanus? Mecha-something), if you prefer the spaaaace mariiines setting.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.