What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 156

• TechnoHippy 5 Jul 2020 09:38:43 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Picked up Hitman on sale for Xbox, so will take a look at that today.
  • Trafford 5 Jul 2020 09:54:46 8,578 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Slowly getting to grips with Elite Dangerous.
    Luckily I am time rich.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Jul 2020 10:44:17 26,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Bought Greedfall today for under £12 on xbox, even better I had earned another £5 from Gamepass quests, so actually paid about £6:50.

Probably start tomorrow.
    Not started yet and I bought Control, only £16 on psn. AND AC Syndicate Gold again on psn, it was a tenner, last night.

Played syndicate on Xbox but it is one of my fav AC games and I have none on PlayStation 4.

Total money spent on games this year £140, so not too bad.
  • wuntyate 5 Jul 2020 13:06:48 14,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been debating on getting Control for after Days Gone. Looks intruiging but tales of difficulty spikes, poor checkpointing and tanking frame rates are putting me off.
  • Switch024 5 Jul 2020 13:24:27 3,907 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @wuntyate I canít speak for the frame rate as I played it on a Pro but itís such a unique experience that itís worth playing for that alone. I havenít quite finished it so I donít know how bad the difficult spikes get but what I played wasnít bad at all.

It works a lot like Dark Souls, you need to work through sections to get to the next bonfire where you can upgrade your abilities. If you die you get sent back to the last one. Think thatís where the checkpoint complaints come from.
  • wuntyate 5 Jul 2020 14:08:33 14,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh now that sounds quite cool actually. I shall pick it up. Was going to pick up tlou2 but not actually sure I'm ready as i can't even muster energy to play left behind yet.
  • MrFlay 5 Jul 2020 15:01:36 4,505 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I started Subnautica yesterday and it's brilliant. I'm playing without hunger and thirst and it's relaxing exploration game with crafting and base building. I just need to find some sandstone so I can get lead and silver.
  • Blackmarsh63 5 Jul 2020 15:16:27 3,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 Control season pass is cheap until the 8th.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Jul 2020 16:05:45 26,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Blackmarsh63
    I saw that. Thank you
  • Reacher 5 Jul 2020 16:51:48 2,988 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Playing Evil Within 2. I love it.

I'm near the end now. I've been playing it on a fairly casual difficulty as I can't be arsed trying to be one of the cool kids. I'm loving the story and the art direction.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Jul 2020 18:07:43 26,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Reacher
    I enjoyed that as well, also I tend to play on easy of normal now days, don't apologise mate, as long as you (we) get the experience. For me repeating the same section multiple times, due to playing on harder settings is way worse and takes me out of the experience.
  • RunningWithScissors 5 Jul 2020 19:16:52 12 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Reacher
    One of the best survival horrors that came out this gen and the last.
  • Flying_Pig 5 Jul 2020 19:44:55 16,622 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've been in a bit of a gaming funk for that last few months (being stuck at home all the time obviously does nothing for my mood and mental wellbeing...) - anyway, I've struggled to really get into anything and really enjoy it.

But I started Uncharted (the 1st one) and despite being a clear step backwards from the later games (for obvious reasons) and slightly glitchy, I'm really enjoying the simplicity and, well, rhythm of it all.

Clearly signposted, linear traversal of decent looking environments and uncomplex shooty sections. No stealth, no upgrades and all you really need to remember is to pick up ammo after a gunfight.

It helps I'm playing on easy :)
  • TechnoHippy 6 Jul 2020 13:32:19 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'd forgotten how much faff playing Hitman properly can be - at least in the old ones you could just murder your way to the target - sadly that doesn't seem to be an option anymore.
  • Trafford 6 Jul 2020 14:56:42 8,578 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Slowly getting to grips with Elite Dangerous.
    Luckily I am time rich.
    I am having a bad day with this.
    Wrecked 3 ships and the game is currently paused as I'm in prison ☹️
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Jul 2020 15:05:43 13,966 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    I started Subnautica yesterday and it's brilliant. I'm playing without hunger and thirst and it's relaxing exploration game with crafting and base building. I just need to find some sandstone so I can get lead and silver.
    Nice, the survival mechanics have been putting me off wanting to get this but if you can turn it into a crafting exploration building game without the hassle then Iím interested again
  • Humperfunk 6 Jul 2020 16:51:19 8,197 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got three games on the go at the moment:

Arise: A Simple Story - seems nice enough, and think it's quite short.
    Modern Warfare (2019) - do enjoy a bit of CoD, and have been getting into the multiplayer as for the first time in about a decade I know a load of people who play an online shooter, and has been good fun.
    Xenoblade Chronicles - properly getting into it now, almost want to park it for a few days to hammer out the above two and concentrate on it but it keeps calling me...

Although I have both Ghost of Tsushima and Paper Mario on pre-order for less than two weeks, fuckin' el.
  • MrWonderstuff 6 Jul 2020 17:48:08 3,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Plague Tale Innocence. Coming off TLOU2 its actually quite similar in a lot of ways. Nice atmosphere and voice work is ok. Very pretty in places.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Jul 2020 17:59:47 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was sure I'd finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Loaded it up the other day to mess around with its HDR settings (was trying some general HDR tuning stuff) and realised I hadn't. In fact, only seem to have been at around the 50% point. Something else I wanted to play more must have distracted me big-time.

It obviously really didn't make much of an impression on me. But the core gameplay loop is ok, with gunplay feeling pleasantly brisk after TLOU2. Could do with less of the "crawl slowly along cliff-faces", though. Guess I'll push through to completion. Not least because the HDR is actually quite pretty.
  • MrFlay 6 Jul 2020 20:22:01 4,505 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    MrFlay wrote:
    Nice, the survival mechanics have been putting me off wanting to get this but if you can turn it into a crafting exploration building game without the hassle then Iím interested again
    I'd recommend Freedom mode if you want this. There's also a creative mode which removes the story and resource scavenging. That focuses on bases building. I think the exploration for resources makes the game fun but you can play it however you like. It's on Game Pass right now if you have that.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Jul 2020 00:04:19 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So a weird spin-off of the whole Final Fight fun this evening got me playing Great Giana Sisters via C64 emulator. If I'm playing an unauthorised ROM of a game which was itself pulled from the shelves for copyright infringement, does that cancel things out?

It's easy to see why it was pulled. It looks and feels like Super Mario Bros on the NES. It's actually a much more basic game - each level is a single (scrolling) screen with no transitions via pipes or the like. There are fewer power-ups and they aren't as interesting. The iconic Mario enemies are replaced by generic animals. Some levels seem to have a giant face-hugger at the end as a mini-boss. The head-bop move that defines Mario is more of a "splat" in this, with no rebound after the bop.

But it's still unmistakably Mario at heart. While the jump feels a bit floaty and weird, the player character still has Mario's sense of momentum and a number of levels actually make you lean into that to make it over various jump sequences. The basic character progression is there, from the normal form (in this, a little girl with a bow in her hair) to the upgraded form (a punk-rock girl) to the fire-shooting form. The first level is basically Mario 1-1 without the clever stuff.

Edited by Rogueywon at 07:21:12 07-07-2020
  • Malek86 7 Jul 2020 06:42:20 10,158 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon if you want a better Mario inspired game, you could try Terry's Big Adventure. I remember having a lot of fun back in my C64 days.

Although it's not quite the same like Giana was, since you can't jump on enemies.

Edited by Malek86 at 06:44:35 07-07-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Jul 2020 07:20:12 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Malek86 I'm only really playing Giana for one reason. When I was a kid, I learned from Zzap!64 that it had existed, but had been pulled from sale because of complaints from Nintendo. That was the first time I'd ever heard of anything like that happening. Given I grew up with computers in the house from a very early age (first the C64, then a succession of PCs), but didn't own a home console until I was 20, GGS acquired a sort of mythical status in my mind.

So playing it via emulator was just an opportunity to see how it actually held up, given I've long since played the actual Mario games via the back catalogues on various Nintendo consoles. In short, I can see why Nintendo wanted it pulled, but it falls far short of being the perfect Mario clone I'd sometimes heard it described as.

Edited by Rogueywon at 07:20:25 07-07-2020
  • Theshape80 8 Jul 2020 11:16:45 298 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Unfortunate Spacemen - Pc Steam

So glad I discovered this free to play.
    Essentially this is The Thing online (in space)
    16 players, 1 is the monster who can disguise themselves as a normal member of the crew. Who complete tasks to escape before being eliminated. Quite a lot of maps, and also a horde survival mode. Can be janky and buggy at times but I recommend people give it a go.

Edit. Itís a first person shooter as well.

Edited by Theshape80 at 11:17:19 08-07-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Jul 2020 22:49:22 13,966 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Playing Last of Us 1 and tearing my hair out at playing as Ellie fighting the cannibal boss in the burning restaurant after the whiteout in the streets. That each hit you land on him is a check point was surely a sign to the devs that this was a badly designed battle. I feel like Iím just trying to push through via save spamming and persistence rather than through really using any of the skills Iíve learnt up to this point. And itís basically insta kill if he spots you. Bastard.

EDIT FFFFFFUUUUCCCKKKK
    MOOOFFFFFFF

EDIT 2 good to see him get what he deserved and Joel return to continue his mission to exterminate the human race one town at a time

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 00:22:07 09-07-2020
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Jul 2020 23:13:12 10,218 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Borderlands 3

Ugh... ugh.

Good co op shooter ruined by atrocious dialogue, stupid mission structure bad map design and rubbish open world elements.

But special mention has to go to the BAD BAD BAD DIALOGUE!!!!!! the person I am playing with actively turned off all the speaking it was graying so much, I am a glutton for punishment so kept it on and UGHHHHHH.
  • DrStrangelove 9 Jul 2020 00:37:31 15,207 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3

Hah yeah dialogue is pretty bad.

Still the best game in many years.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.