What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 158

• OllyJ 17 Jul 2020 12:22:52 4,758 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Started Dishonored 2, and it's classic Arkane studios stuff, takes fucking ages to get good. Just like PREY, for the first few hours I'm on the verge of just bailing and giving it up. I don't get why this studio are SO beloved, the games end up decent, but always start off poorly.

Also, the story, writing, is so dreary and uninteresting, at least PREY had a compelling story. I have to skip cutscenes, and dread using the heart as the lines it has are all so cringey.

I dunno...what am I missing here? The gameplay is just kinda OK? but enough to put up with the faults? Am I out of my mind or what?

Do I just play Death of the outsider? Is that better as a quick Dishonored experience?
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Jul 2020 12:25:57 26,042 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @OllyJ
    I love all 3 games but I would say no to DotO if you are not getting on with Dishonored. Who are you playing as in it, maybe play the other character.
  • OllyJ 17 Jul 2020 12:31:31 4,758 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The fella, it's just the dialogue and writing, it's so difficult for me to get past that. I find it really depressing in a way.

The gameplay is getting better, it just takes an age to get interesting, found the same with PREY, like New Game+ would be brilliant, but I'm fully burnt out by the end. As long as I keep skipping the story bits (which I rarely do) I think I may persevere.
  • RedPanda87 17 Jul 2020 12:51:57 2,026 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DotO is the best of them in my opinion. It's got some great levels and doesn't risk dragging. But it sounds like immersive sims (or at least Arkane's take on them) might just not be your thing.
  • OllyJ 17 Jul 2020 12:54:49 4,758 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Maybe, on paper, I love the idea of it and did end up really enjoying PREY.

I don't think I have too much of a problem with immersive sims, something with the tone of this one feels really off to me. Hoping I get over the hump, as I do sense there's fun to be had.
  • Mola_Ram 17 Jul 2020 15:46:07 23,984 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am playing Grim Dawn. It's pretty moreish, but I'm starting to think that I might have grown out of ARPGs. I can definitely see their appeal as something to unwind with while you listen to a podcast or something. I just don't think that they're for me anymore.

Still, 100% recommended if you like this sort of thing. It's probably the best I've played since D3.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 15:52:03 17-07-2020
  • JoeBlade 17 Jul 2020 19:18:26 5,094 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    HedonBlue wrote:
    Aliens Colonial Marines
    Queue Ryan Reynolds 'But why?' GIF.
  • JoeBlade 17 Jul 2020 19:18:56 5,094 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    HedonBlue wrote:
    Grim Dawn is superb.
    Okay, you've redeemed yourself.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 17 Jul 2020 19:51:01 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Iím in the market for a proper arcade racer on PS4 like a real Ridge Racer type affair

No simulation cack with officially licensed spark plugs and hub cap dlc
  • wuntyate 17 Jul 2020 20:48:49 14,940 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ACM is great fun. I loved it. Yes I got it cheap and my expectations were low but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • wuntyate 17 Jul 2020 21:00:05 14,940 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It isn't as bad as it's made out to be and scratches the Aliens itch nicely.

If anyone disagrees I'll be waiting beside the bins for a fight.
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Jul 2020 21:05:40 26,042 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @wuntyate
    I completed this on 360 last year, it was ok but very frustrating in parts.
  • wuntyate 17 Jul 2020 21:08:56 14,940 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well you're entitled to your opinion duff. You'll break my arms off.
  • Carlo 17 Jul 2020 21:38:52 21,323 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've started playing Anthem.

V1.7, they should have ironed out the bullshit now I hope, and to be honest, I expect I'll play the story and bin the end-game off anyway.

I expect it'll be fucking dead for matchmaking but it's on my list.
  • Darth_Flibble 18 Jul 2020 09:27:03 4,317 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ACM was terrible on console, I read you can improve the AI on PC as the devs made a typo in the code that made the AI worse!

Even if the AI was fixed it was sub-standard shooter that promised so much and was just BS and lies from Gearbox (Randy pitchford probably spent the development money on USB sticks (he keeps losing them) but he is pretty good at magic tricks as he can make development money disappear just like that
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Jul 2020 09:46:48 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alien Isolation and the AVP games are all still available and Iím sure Alien Trilogy canít be too difficult to source for PC, why torture yourselves?
  • Mola_Ram 18 Jul 2020 10:06:59 23,984 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I started on Yakuza 0 again. I'd already gotten pretty far on PS4, but stopped to play other things. I'd like to push through to the end this time, so I can move onto other games in the series.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Jul 2020 10:43:04 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Iíve reinstalled Wipeout Omega Collection to scratch my racing itch.

And if all goes to plan with Baby Maybeís bedtime I finally start Bloodborne tonight.
  • Malek86 18 Jul 2020 12:32:37 10,162 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe unfortunately AVP2 is not available anywhere due to some rights issues with Fox. Shame too, because it was great. Good thing I still have the disc.

Also I'm no big fan of Trilogy, it played like Doom except way worse, and the engine looked terrible and gave me motion sickness too.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:34:00 18-07-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Jul 2020 14:37:28 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Malek86 AVP2 was excellent.

And my one venture into publishing skins. Tried to dirty up the marines and corporate mercs.

Loved the way the three stories tied together. Man, what a game.
  • Tomo 18 Jul 2020 15:05:11 17,817 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I have basically 'finished' Animal Crossing now and also finished TLOU2, so have time for other games. Been playing:

Noita - roguelike which is basically Spelunky meets Liero. I'm not very good at it, but it's pretty fun for a blast here and there. Each pixel is simulated, which can lead to many unintended consequences. You can also make some ridiculous magic wands which have some bizarre effects, ie: something that shoots firebolts whilst simultaneously making a rain cloud appear. It's very daft.

Dicey Dungeons - it's kinda Slay the Spire-lite. It's competent and there are a few interesting mechanics, but tbh Slay the Spire has so much content it's a better experience. That said, a run on DD is 20 minutes compared to 2 hours, so it has that I guess. Would be a good Switch game...

She Sees Red - a very poor man's Bandersnatch. Not sure what compelled me to get this tbh...
  • Mola_Ram 20 Jul 2020 04:22:11 23,984 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Adding to the things I am playing (because it was on sale, sigh) is PREY.

It's pretty good! I like Arkane's games a lot, and this ticks all the boxes that they usually do. Big, explorable environments, a good variety of possible playstyles, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of the story so far. There is a potential twist being fairly heavily signposted right from the beginning, and I hope that they don't go in that direction because it's a bit of a cliche. But the moment to moment action is very good, and that's more than enough to keep me going.
  • Nanocrystal 20 Jul 2020 05:10:46 2,130 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah Arkane can't seem to write a good story to go along with their fabulous worlds, level design, systems and gameplay. But the latter are so damn good I don't really mind. Can't remember a thing about the plots of the Dishonored games despite absolutely loving them. I wonder if Deathloop will fix this issue.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Jul 2020 05:27:09 23,984 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually, I didn't mind the stories in the dishonored games, so I disagree that it's a common problem for them.
  • Nanocrystal 20 Jul 2020 05:56:11 2,130 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fair enough. I can remember many of the level layouts from Dishonored 1 & 2 as well as the clever ways you could take out the main targets without killing them, but I honestly can't remember a single thing about the plot. I can picture the antagonist woman from D2, but not her name or motivations. Can't remember if D1 even had an antagonist. So I'm not saying the stories are bad, just forgettable I guess. Certainly not up to the same high standard as the other aspects I mentioned. Their level design for example is pretty much best-in-class. Admittedly it's been a while since I played these games. I just recently re-bought the trilogy on PS4 and am planning to replay them soon, so at least the story will feel fresh!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.