What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 160

• QBX 27 Jul 2020 13:06:28 176 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fear Effect: Retro Helix (PS/2)

I'd impulse bought this last year and fancied something less modern so thought I'd give it a go not realising how old it actually is.

Just started the second disk and it really has been a step back in time. My thumb is sore from having to hold down the d-pad buttons and the tank controls have been taking some getting used to. But things have slowly been sliding into place and been really enjoying it.

The picture is a small rectangle in the middle of my screen but the cell shading and animated backgrounds still look good. The puzzles can fuck off though.

Given the success of the recent Resident Evil remakes I'm surprised Eidos haven't given this the same treatment.
  • Nanocrystal 27 Jul 2020 13:40:26 2,130 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dead Cells - Returned to this after a year off, its been improved by the numerous updates for sure, and has really started to click for me. Finally beat the "last" boss and am now on to the NG+ mode. Just feels really satisfying to play.
  • mrpon 28 Jul 2020 17:01:56 36,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Murdered Soul Suspect, must've picked it up for beans. Seems like they built a game around a glitch. I'm persevering, just playing shit atm because I'm waiting until I've got a decent setup.
  • Malek86 28 Jul 2020 21:18:04 10,162 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Started playing Rayman Redemption, it's a sort of unofficial remake of Rayman with expanded levels and new features. I'm amazed it didn't get more attention, but maybe that's for the better - I bet it would be hit by Ubi's lawyers pretty fast otherwise.

Would also be nice to see Rayman 1 ported to this Windows engine. Runs so much better than Dosbox and supports widescreen too.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Jul 2020 07:39:36 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Malek86 ooh I hadnít heard of that. Rayman 1 got a lot of time from me on the PlayStation even if I found some of it bloody tough
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Jul 2020 09:58:36 26,042 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just finished WD2 dlc (I love WD) really enjoyed. I will mess about online as I really enjoy the co-op and hacking missions.
    So...
    Xbox:
    I'm wondering if it is time to try Fallout 76, got it on Gamepass, so it is the most up to date. I can't make my mind up though! as if I start a game I really like to complete, either that or reroll Greedfall, I was only a few hours in.

PS4:
    GoT
    Control
  • MrFlay 29 Jul 2020 13:28:00 4,505 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Currently addicted to Civ VI. Already have one science victory with Rome and on the way to a domination victory with Macedon. Just have an entire continent to nuke with my 20 thermonuclear warheads, then mop up the leftovers. The nukes have a nice animation.

Macedon get big science and culture boosts from conquests so you can ignore science and settlers early game. I just swallowed up all the adjacent city states and let the other civs settle and then took their cities too. The units get fully healed if you take a city with a wonder. Very, very OP. Also no war weariness at all.

Edited by MrFlay at 13:31:53 29-07-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 29 Jul 2020 16:11:57 4,317 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Man of medan

Really like Until Dawn but this is not as good so far. The character faces are technically better sometimes they look really awful on iceman and the Julia (also the 2 soliders during the intro) UD had Peter Stormare as the "host" and the new guy is shit. Hopefully the story is good or decent

It was only £10 off ebay and can sell it/trade it
  • Malek86 30 Jul 2020 11:30:40 10,162 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe this thing seems very much worth it, they actually made it a bit easier and more forgiving. The biggest reason being that getting hit now doesn't knock you back anymore. Platforming isn't as hard when you aren't falling off platforms all the time.

Edited by Malek86 at 11:31:04 30-07-2020
  • Tomo 1 Aug 2020 17:11:39 17,817 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Started two new games:

Outer Wilds - very intriguing. Really clever design decisions. I really do feel like an astronaut. This is basically what No Man's Skys should've been.

The Messenger - not really feeling this after an hour-ish. The platforming doesn't feel quite right to me. The hook is that when you kill an enemy, you can immediately do a jump. But, so far, the enemies aren't really placed such that you need to exploit this and the delay between killing an enemy and being able to initiate the jump is marginally slow that it feels off. Also. the music is incredibly repetitive 8-bit beeps, which are hugely annoying here. And, you can't do vertical slashes, which is particularly doing my head in when you jump attack.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Aug 2020 19:04:41 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tomo I really enjoyed most of the Messenger. Ninja Gaiden was one of my favourite Master System games and the early sections are basically that.

The shift to the 16 big sections are cool as well but my big negative was when the game opens up into an open world collectathon itís an absolute pain in the arse faff. So I abandoned it during that endgame build toward the ďtrueĒ final boss

I never did master that double jump trick.

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 19:05:48 01-08-2020
  • TechnoHippy 1 Aug 2020 19:49:36 17,506 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Picked up We the Revolution again and made some more progress - it is tricky trying to maintain the law and keep the different factions happy. And my family hates me.
  • Bambot 2 Aug 2020 08:37:05 1,837 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Days Gone.

Dont get why this got a lot of MEH, I think itís way way better than the last few Far Cry games. Full of graphical bugs sadly.
  • Crocoboco 3 Aug 2020 15:47:49 15 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Neon Abyss

Got it as recommendation on Steam and played it all weekend. Great rogue-like game, kind of like Binding of Isaac but it's 2D Platform Shooter.

There's something like a campaign so it's no just spamming the same run.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Aug 2020 15:51:50 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think I want to play Psychonauts

Anyone done so recently? Howís it aged?
  • HelloNo 3 Aug 2020 17:13:12 2,191 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I played it a few years ago and the gameplay is kinda... shonky, honestly. The humour, art design and imagination more than make up for it but you'll probably find yourself gritting your teeth a few times.
  • Malek86 3 Aug 2020 17:51:48 10,162 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychonauts was always very shoddy as an action-platformer. The pacing is also all over the place, with too much dialogue interrupting the action. It's fun to watch, but not actually play.

I imagine Schafer wanted to make another adventure game, but had to actionize it to be more marketable to its publisher (which didn't help anyway).

Edited by Malek86 at 17:52:20 03-08-2020
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Aug 2020 17:54:18 10,221 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Crocoboco wrote:
    Neon Abyss

Got it as recommendation on Steam and played it all weekend. Great rogue-like game, kind of like Binding of Isaac but it's 2D Platform Shooter.

There's something like a campaign so it's no just spamming the same run.
    I have managed to beat 2 of the managers so far. Itís a lot of fun but in terms of unlocks itís a bit slow.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Aug 2020 17:58:43 26,042 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    Days Gone.

Dont get why this got a lot of MEH, I think itís way way better than the last few Far Cry games. Full of graphical bugs sadly.
    I had a great time with DG although as is well documented could have lost 5-10 hours of running time. Curious you "lump" it in with the FC games though, different beasts for me.
  • waggy79 3 Aug 2020 18:12:30 2,297 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decided to try The Touryst today on gamepass. Just finished and its lovely.
    Music and style gave me Fez vibes.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Aug 2020 18:24:15 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I still wish there was a Fez 2
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Aug 2020 18:31:09 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Psychonauts was always very shoddy as an action-platformer. The pacing is also all over the place, with too much dialogue interrupting the action. It's fun to watch, but not actually play.

I imagine Schafer wanted to make another adventure game, but had to actionize it to be more marketable to its publisher (which didn't help anyway).

Iím down with more Schafer game dialogue so thatís no issue
  • Red_Bool 3 Aug 2020 18:37:01 1,987 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I still wish there was a Fez 2
    Fez on the Switch would be an instabuy for me. Why did that not happen yet?
  • JoeBlade 3 Aug 2020 18:39:39 5,094 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Red_Bool I may remember wrongly but I thought the Fez dev got out of games development altogether. Something about him getting a lot of slack on social media or whatever...
  • waggy79 3 Aug 2020 18:52:51 2,297 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Phil Fish. And it was self inflicted.
  • Kay 3 Aug 2020 19:16:42 20,626 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, iirc he announced Fez 2 a few years ago, and then threw a hissy fit over something and cancelled it. Indie Game: The Move is worth a watch for all the details.
  • Red_Bool 3 Aug 2020 20:35:02 1,987 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cheers guys. Totally missed all that.
  • whatthefu 3 Aug 2020 21:28:45 1,329 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:

Iím down with more Schafer game dialogue so thatís no issue
    I played it last year and still enjoyed it tbh
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Aug 2020 21:58:26 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Yeah, iirc he announced Fez 2 a few years ago, and then threw a hissy fit over something and cancelled it. Indie Game: The Move is worth a watch for all the details.
    Yeah it was in development. Shame Fez is still incredible
  • Mark1412 3 Aug 2020 22:45:19 1,765 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Picked up the Nathan Drake collection to relive some of my (from what I remembered) favourite games of last gen and oh boy the first one is bad. Aged poorly, but also just a collection of some of the worst things about games from around that time. That ending. To think they went from that to TLOU in the space of six years is almost unbelievable, mostly for the fact that Sony didn't throw the entire studio into the sea.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.