• simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Aug 2020 07:52:18 14,599 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Man the player base for Minecraft has really gone downhill since my day
  • RedPanda87 4 Aug 2020 08:01:17 2,040 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mark1412 wrote:
    Picked up the Nathan Drake collection to relive some of my (from what I remembered) favourite games of last gen and oh boy the first one is bad. Aged poorly, but also just a collection of some of the worst things about games from around that time. That ending. To think they went from that to TLOU in the space of six years is almost unbelievable, mostly for the fact that Sony didn't throw the entire studio into the sea.
    The first one was really quite poor even at the time. I remember it taking me ages to make myself get through it, which I only did because people kept saying how good it was so I figured I must be missing something.

A big part of me thinks the hype was a combination of the fancy graphics and PS3 gamers being starved of anything good to play at that point. The series got really good, but it sure didn't start that way.
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Aug 2020 09:00:20 26,173 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @RedPanda87
    Just to chip in, having completed the NDC a while ago (also played all 3 at time of release on ps3) I would like to add Uncharted 1 is pish and it has aged terribly, luckily series got a lot better. What all 4 (5) games have got is wonderful and enjoyable characters with good writing/dialog a lots of humour.
  • ghearoid 4 Aug 2020 10:04:52 3,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Breath of the Wild - third play through. Deleting that save file with all the shrines, sidequests and fully upgraded armor is wierdly liberating!

Animal Crossing New Horizons - still playing every day, still have a ton to do. I have one of each personality type finally so musing over moving around some houses. Still no blue roses...
  • Mark1412 4 Aug 2020 10:07:41 1,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    Mark1412 wrote:
    Picked up the Nathan Drake collection to relive some of my (from what I remembered) favourite games of last gen and oh boy the first one is bad. Aged poorly, but also just a collection of some of the worst things about games from around that time. That ending. To think they went from that to TLOU in the space of six years is almost unbelievable, mostly for the fact that Sony didn't throw the entire studio into the sea.
    The first one was really quite poor even at the time. I remember it taking me ages to make myself get through it, which I only did because people kept saying how good it was so I figured I must be missing something.

A big part of me thinks the hype was a combination of the fancy graphics and PS3 gamers being starved of anything good to play at that point. The series got really good, but it sure didn't start that way.
    Yeah you may be right there. Playing through it again now makes me wonder if I made up the fact that I enjoyed it back when, or just had low standards. It's annoying to play and quite dull. I remember talking about 2 in a games of the generation thread somewhere so I've got higher hopes for that.
  • Crocoboco 4 Aug 2020 14:29:44 20 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Yeah, I'm on the third manager too. What I'm doing right now is farming for multiple unlocks so I can get several Free Trials at once and go trough all levels easier. I'm bit disappointed I didn't think of that earlier and wasted some very good unlocks(explosive bullets are op af).
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Aug 2020 00:46:06 14,599 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Still playing Blasphemous as my main and the big free DLC update game out today.

New artwork and animations throughout the game, a redesigned map system, new mechanics around collectibles and healing, new areas to explore, new boss fights, new quest lines, new and redone dialogue and voice acting, a dog you can pet, updated fast travel system, new cut scenes, new NPCs.

Most of that is implemented immediately into the main game, although the new quest lines and bosses are part of the all new New Game + mode.

Itís not quite a proper old school expansion pack but itís definitely DLC done right.
  • Graxlar_v3 5 Aug 2020 07:21:59 10,467 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Still playing Blasphemous as my main and the big free DLC update game out today.

New artwork and animations throughout the game, a redesigned map system, new mechanics around collectibles and healing, new areas to explore, new boss fights, new quest lines, new and redone dialogue and voice acting, a dog you can pet, updated fast travel system, new cut scenes, new NPCs.

Most of that is implemented immediately into the main game, although the new quest lines and bosses are part of the all new New Game + mode.

Itís not quite a proper old school expansion pack but itís definitely DLC done right.
    Hnnnn does it nerf the final boss?
  • wuntyate 5 Aug 2020 07:57:15 15,298 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh, yeah I gave up at him. Pity. I did notice this free update though, quite curious. Not sure if I should reload my save at the final boss, try and actually kill him and move into ng+ or just start again.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Aug 2020 08:23:51 14,599 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was only half way through my first play through when the update came out but thereís definitely noticeable balance changes even in the seconds Iím playing now. Mostly making it slightly easier.

Itís the carvings on walls that swipe you with a big claw that I hate most about this game. Still havenít mastered taking them out without taking big damage.
  • wuntyate 5 Aug 2020 08:52:36 15,298 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There were a few enemies and bosses iirc that pissed me off. Stopping me from loving the game as much as I wanted to. That said there was a lot to love about it. Still got it installed so I'll definitely check it out with this update.
  • Graxlar_v3 5 Aug 2020 08:59:02 10,467 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, towards the later half of the game it got pretty unforgiving. I eventually beat the final boss but it was such a frustrating experience I fell completely out of love in the game.
  • Rum_Monkey 5 Aug 2020 10:01:01 1,277 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Zelda BoTW

After completing LoU2 I couldn't get back into playing games for a while but this is a nice palette cleanser. It has such a great feeling of exploration that you keep pushing on for another 5 mins in the hope of discovering something cool.

Like a giant sex fairy hidden in a plant that enhances your armour.

/oo-er
  • wuntyate 5 Aug 2020 10:57:56 15,298 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As usual I've shat my gaming pants and taken on too much. Which is hilarious considering how much time I actually get for gaming in a normal week.

Ghost of Tsushima - Somewhere in act 2
    Days Gone - At least halfway through
    Death Stranding - End game frolics
    Diablo 3 - Doing a co-op playthrough with my son. On act 5 now. We've had to put it up to master and we're still melting everything. I'm necromancer and he's the barbarian. Jolly good fun.
    Hellpoint - Just won a code for this. I never win anything so that's quite nice. A low budget souls-like on a space station fighting demons and shit. Looks good fun, if a bit janky. Looking forward to giving it a go.
    Nioh 2 DLC - More of the same really, which is fine by me. It's brilliant.

Edit: Shit, forgot about W40K Inquisitor - Doing it co-op online. Pretty decent diablo like jobby.

It does look like a big list but I like the mix of games there actually and just playing a bit of what I feel like. Not burning out on anything.

Edited by wuntyate at 11:29:12 05-08-2020
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Aug 2020 11:07:01 26,173 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @wuntyate
    I hate having too many games on the go at once. Ideally one main on both Xbox and playstation along with Gears of course. I am however in a similar situation to you:

PS3:
    Watch Dogs (completed on ps4, 360 and xbox1) I love me some Watchdogs.
    AC Rogue (as above)

PS4:
    Main: GoT: Just started Act II, game is brilliant

Other:
    Control: Maybe 90 mins in ? Not feeling it
    SW BFII excellent for a couple of mp games now and agin.

360:
    Divinity 2 TDKS: 10 odd hours in, completed the original Divinity 2 Ego Draconis years ago.

Xb1:
    Main: Gears multiplayer, I play 3,4,5 daily.

Other:
    Greedfall: Maybe 2/3 hours in, what I have played has been great.
    Halo MCC campaigns and a small amount of mp, completed all of them but I do enjoy playing.
  • Switch-v85 5 Aug 2020 11:07:50 4,057 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @wuntyate I could probably knock up a similar list, just need to swap out Diablo and Hellpoint for The Surge 2 and Burnout Paradise. Maximum of 3 hours gaming a night.

I'm riding a wave of enthusiasm for gaming at the minute and just playing whatever fits the mood. I'll probably abandon them all and watch movies for the rest of the month.
  • Trafford 5 Aug 2020 11:22:49 8,674 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been mainlining Ghost of Tsushima act 2.
    Must say the quality of missions and the map has been brilliant, loving it. Nearly done with the act.

And that's it. Reading the above posts I feel I should deviate a little and play something else maybe. Was halfway through Okami.
    I've recently bought Shadow Tactics and RDR2 in the sales. Got Ass Creed Odyssey, Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn on the pile of shame.

But I do believe Ghost of Tsushima has ruined all previous bigopenworldgames for me.
  • wuntyate 5 Aug 2020 11:29:39 15,298 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Switch024 Made much of a dent in The Surge 2 yet?
  • wuntyate 5 Aug 2020 11:30:33 15,298 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 Yeah me too normally but recently I've realised that most games are just too bloody big and if I try to stck them through to the end I get bored. Juggling may be the way forward.
  • Switch-v85 5 Aug 2020 11:37:02 4,057 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @wuntyate Just a quick look. Think I'm going to spend tonight playing it, I'm really in the mood for some sci fi souls action.
  • wuntyate 5 Aug 2020 11:39:24 15,298 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Switch024 Yeah that's why I fired up Nioh 2 and want to get into Hellpoint. I can go so long then I need a bit of a souls-like on the go.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Aug 2020 10:41:40 9,361 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I just tried 3 Out of 10, the "interactive sitcom" game that got an EG frontpage piece. It's currently free on EGS, so no particular harm in trying it.

But fucking hell it is terrible. If your whole concept is "animated sitcom with minigames", then it does help to be actually funny, even if just a little bit. Instead, it is utterly, cringe-inducingly bad, with every line of dialogue feeling like a little nail of stupidity hammered into my brain. Terrible characters, horrible, lazy cliches and memes that were outdated at the start of the current console generation... and those are among its better features.

If you're doing a "satire" of a bad games developer, it probably helps if your own game isn't a rancid pile of stinking shit. Even though it was free, I feel ripped off.

Edit: The odd thing being that the developer has done a few definitely not-shit things before.

Edited by Rogueywon at 10:42:23 09-08-2020
  • Mark1412 9 Aug 2020 10:58:07 1,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nearing the end of my Uncharted 2 run and it's okay. It's massively better than the first one. Much better variation in levels, the story is more interesting (though pretty much the exact same as the first one) and it looks good, too. Most of the set pieces are still fun - Blueprint have done a decent job. But the combat's just a bit shit and the checkpoints are annoying. And, again, that ending.

Also played and quickly binned the MW2 campaign remaster which is terrible in every regard and nearing the end of Control, which has been wonderful. Will definitely be investing in the season pass.
  • AddyB- 9 Aug 2020 13:10:12 917 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    UFC 4
    HZD (pc version)
    Project Cars 2
  • JoeBlade 9 Aug 2020 13:27:55 5,245 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Apart from the usual suspects: Tacoma, which I got for free off EGS a week or so ago. Unlike Roguey's pick this one is actually pretty good.

It's a detective story set in space essentially; the protagonist is sent off to investigate what happened to a space craft (station?) that suddenly went silent.

The novelty is you have the current, real life environments you can interact with (though interaction is limited) on one hand. Notes, letters, consoles and the likes.
    On the other hand there are Augmented Reality recordings you can review to see scenes that happened in the past in real time.
    The clever thing about it is you have to combine moving around/interacting with the environments and playing the AR recordings (several times) as to fully figure out what happened in a particular scene.

I'm not far in but I really like it.
  • DrStrangelove 9 Aug 2020 13:32:07 15,241 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Humperfunk 9 Aug 2020 13:34:25 8,284 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Now that I've finished Paper Mario, I'm back on the beast that is Xenoblade Chronicles as my main focus. I've only got my Switch for the next month or so, so really want to hit the backlog on it before I return to London and can start Ghost of Tsushima.

Other games on the go are Onimusha Warlords which I think is quite short, the Layton Mysteries game and I also decided to spend fifty quid on Splatoon 2 which was fucking stupid as I'm unsure I will ever actually play it, or certainly no idea when...!

Pretty good though only having the Switch, feel like I don't play enough on it because the PS4 is so good, so its good to focus on that for a sustained period!
  • Deleted user 9 August 2020 13:47:38
    The Last of Us Part II
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Minecraft

PSVR

Blood & Truth
  • Theshape80 9 Aug 2020 16:45:45 314 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fall guys - PS4 a good bit of fun. Kids love it but it makes me rage!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.