Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 172

• Nanocrystal 29 Oct 2020 01:18:15 2,265 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mafia 3 Definitive Edition (PS4)

Impressed by this, it's far better than GTA V for me. Never played it when it came out so I can't comment on the improvements made but so far the performance is fine with just a couple of minor bugs in about 20 hours of play. Graphically it looks fine (puddles look impressive after it rains), but most of all the writing and characters are really compelling for an open world game and the soundtrack is God-tier. The racism is handled maturely and matter-of-factly. I don't mind the repetitive gameplay loop too much, the combat and stealth are functional if not spectacular, and the driving is weighty and satisfying. The map is big but not too big, and not overly crowded with icons (though there are probably a few too many side missions). Plus, New Orleans is just an amazing setting for so many reasons. Naked ladies as collectables is the icing on the cake.
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Oct 2020 05:50:32 26,316 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Current lot:

Main squeeze:
    WatchDogs 3 + Gears 3 KOTH + Gears 4,5

Others:
    The Witcher 2.
    Only ever played the first chapter...8 odd years ago. Well I just completed it and at the start of chapter 2, really enjoying.

Far Cry 3 (the remaster? aka putting thick black lines around things ;) )
    Loved it first time on360 and still pretty much love it.

DD DA, not played for around 2 weeks though
    Greedfall, see above but make that about a month.

Totally bounced off PS4 once again, even though I have around 30 games on the hard drive including Control, GoW, BL3.
  • JoelStinty 29 Oct 2020 08:03:27 9,099 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    NFS; Payback

Itís not great, but not shocking as reviews have made it out to be either. I donít know how much work as been done to revamp the game after the controversy but played a substantial amount now and I havnít had to grind for anything. Itís your customary nfs game really (and I like nfs games). Not the best example of it, seems a little unfocused, like the developers didnít really know what to do next and just put out a big standard version of it but itís perfectly playable and been getting into it. Story as usual is utter nonsense but overall itís ok and can't complain with it being free on ps+. Would recommend picking up Rivals instead.
  • Darth_Flibble 31 Oct 2020 16:18:48 4,596 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    NFS; Payback was quite mediocre and imo it deserved the reviews

Wasteland 3
    Tried 2 on gamepass a while back and its quite rough on console and UI is terrible for xbox but 3 is so much better in every way. Glad I gave it a go. Just got to the base right at the start but enjoying it

Genshin impact
    the UID permanently on the screen is terrible idea, if you have a TV that gets burn in, i would avoid the game. Not far into it (got to the first city) but its good. The navi like thing Paimon talks about herself in 3rd person all the time, its a bit annoying. The emergency food line has become a meme I see

Heard it becomes pay to win later/you have to pay to progress unless you grind got 20 plus hours
  • Zenistar 1 Nov 2020 13:42:45 15 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    PS4 - Ghost of Tsushima, though have not been playing recently, kind of moved on to other things but still have the second half to finish.

XBOX - Forza Horizon 4 - this still takes up pretty much all of my console time as i just go back time after time.

IOS - Genshin Impact, graphics lag like hell on my phone, but on the IPad its nice and smooth and something easy to play on the sofa while watching stuff in the background.
  • Malek86 1 Nov 2020 20:48:37 11,183 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    After finishing Warrior Within, I've now started Two Thrones.

It feels budget-ish after the previous game, but there are a few new moves that serve as a bridge to Assassin's Creed, especially being able to stealth kill enemies from above.
  • JoeBlade 1 Nov 2020 21:08:09 5,377 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Still some Rise of the Tome Raider but I'm losing my patience.

A Mexican stand-off probably seems like a neat idea on paper. But what if your character's build is mostly stealthy?

Um... deal with it? Grrrrggrnnn.
  • DrStrangelove 1 Nov 2020 23:39:59 15,303 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:

Big fan of how its presentation is of quite a grounded medieval world with monsters in it rather than all out high fantasy elves and orcs like Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age
    Yeah definitely. I mean, it's still high fantasy with all those witches and frog people and whatnot, but it also had that actual medieval stuff like its fortresses and guards and swords and whatnot, in contrast to the pure Tolkien world of TES. Loved that.
  • Bichii 2 Nov 2020 00:40:20 3,795 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Samurai Jack. Good fun, nice skill tree options and it gets the vibe of the cartoon pretty well. Plays a bit like an old skool hack and slash with light exploration and platforming.
  • FoxMoody 2 Nov 2020 08:01:07 131 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Sekiro and boy do I suck at souls games.
  • Daeltaja 2 Nov 2020 09:51:30 1,901 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nothing until PS5 launch. I get like this, lose interest in all other games when excited for the new thing.
  • Graxlar_v3 2 Nov 2020 17:40:18 10,654 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Samurai Jack. Good fun, nice skill tree options and it gets the vibe of the cartoon pretty well. Plays a bit like an old skool hack and slash with light exploration and platforming.
    perfect, just the type of game i was looking for

anyway:

Ori: Will of the wisps - so good
    Divinity: OS2 - so much death and pain. I continue to plug away at this game knowing it hates me and i hate it. I do wonder how much longer I have before i call it quits as i seem to have cleared an area levelling and now everywhere i go brings death.
  • Red_Bool 3 Nov 2020 09:38:13 2,090 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Divinity: OS2 - so much death and pain. I continue to plug away at this game knowing it hates me and i hate it. I do wonder how much longer I have before i call it quits as i seem to have cleared an area levelling and now everywhere i go brings death.
    Sounds like my experience, only I got admire it for not letting me grind to victory. You need to properly explore and invest to progress. Once that finally clicked in my brain I absolutely loved it.

Right now I'm playing Ni No Kuni on the Switch. After DOS2 it's like a warm, relaxing bath. So lovely to play (so far at least, I'm still firmly in tutorial land).
  • kostasfil 3 Nov 2020 12:57:56 46 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The last days i've been playing my second playthrough of Alan Wake. Really it's a masterpiece and i dont know why i haven't played it since 2010. It's one of the games that i want and i need to play every now and then. Such a good experience it is.
    Also i'm revisiting Control. But it annoys me it doesn't get 60 fps on my 1060 gtx. I wish that the new consoles will deliver 60 fps on Control with RT as well.
  • DrStrangelove 5 Nov 2020 01:04:37 15,303 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quake 1. The "original" Steam version shamefully doesn't come with the soundtrack, I'm using the Mark V client which supports mp3 files for soundtrack if you happen to have them, among other things.

It's so good. I'm also replaying Doom 2016 and Quake is just as good, if not better. It's got frantic action, it's got superb level design, and with the soundtrack it's got immense dark atmosphere and what's still imo the best game soundtrack of all time.

It's dark and gritty, but from a time when that wasn't really a thing. It's not the shallow/cringey sort of grimdark you're used to from modern TV shows. It's actual menacing darkness. Contrast and Gamma all the way to minimum seems the right way to play this.

When playing Quake at night, I turn the lights off. Doom 2016, as great as it is, doesn't make me do that. The Doom series always had this cartoonish sense of doom and gloom*, Quake 1 is serious darkness.

I don't even know if Doom 2016 is a better action game, because Quake is brilliant at being an action game.

Carmack seemed to downplay Quake 1 on the grounds that it was kind of an aimless mess, and that there's probably rose-tinted glasses involved. But replaying it, I think nothing could be further from the truth. I think Quake is one of the best games of all time and may well be the best game id Software ever made.

*) except for Doom 3 obviously, but I found that less convincing. It has almost no soundtrack and I think it's mostly just visually dark instead of being truly atmospheric. Also I think it's simply weaker as a game in general compared to both Quake and the other Doom games.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 15:38:57 06-11-2020
  • Rodney 5 Nov 2020 05:34:40 4,736 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jedi Fallen Academy.

It can be a bit frustrating on places but enjoying it very much. Nice little action adventure games with good puzzles and okayish combat (fuck those rats and ram, give me more storm.troopers to slice through). Looks amazing in 4k too
  • Rogueywon 6 Nov 2020 20:36:58 10,023 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dirt 5 is pretty bad.

It was half price on cdkeys and I took a punt on it, on the grounds that I kinda liked Dirt 4. I knew EG had given it a no-mark review, but other than wanky indie games and Nintendo, EG seems to mark very hard these days.

Big mistake. It's arguable this one should have been an Avoid.

I'm not opposed to arcade races. I absolutely love the Forza Horizon games and I've no problem at all with the main-line Dirt games going to that end of the spectrum now that Dirt Rally is a thing. But this isn't even a good arcade racer. The handling feels utterly dead and lifeless.

The AI is some of the worst I've seen in a racing game for many years. There's blatant rubber-banding, with the difficulty settings apparently just tuning how aggressive said rubber-banding is. AI drivers don't even seem to obey the laws of physics at times. On the ice-lake races in particular, it's blatant from watching them that they're not affected by the loss of traction, as their handling is clearly the same as it is in the normal dirt-surface races. The AI doesn't seem to react at all to the player's presence and collision physics are hopeless.

Plus there are some really weird limitations. If you use any of the in-car or bonnet-cam views, you can't look behind you - only in a 180 degree forward arc. There's no rear view mirror in-car, so either you use a third-person camera, or you just have to live with not being able to see what's behind you.

Visuals are very poor. It's hard to believe this came out more than two years after Forza Horizon 4. Other than the fact I'm running in 4k, 60fps and HDR, the visuals could be a match for the original Forza Horizon, back on the 360.

The only upside so far is that while dudebro trappings are present, this game (unlike some of the older Dirt titles) is self-aware enough to make them skippable.
  • Nitrous 9 Nov 2020 14:23:52 2,116 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rayman Legends (PS4)

Clearing the 2tb drive of backlog to make way for a 500GB or maybe 1tb SSD drive and use that to play some of the remaining PS4 games on a PS5 next Easter.
  • RedPanda87 14 Nov 2020 11:08:36 2,069 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Really loving this, as someone who loved the idea of the story and setting of Yakuza games but didn't get on with the combat this is exactly what I've been waiting for.

Anyone else playing this? Haven't noticed any mention of it on the forum. I guess it came out at a busy gaming time.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Nov 2020 11:14:04 10,654 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Really loving this, as someone who loved the idea of the story and setting of Yakuza games but didn't get on with the combat this is exactly what I've been waiting for.

Anyone else playing this? Haven't noticed any mention of it on the forum. I guess it came out at a busy gaming time.
    Yeah I am about 6 hours in now... I took a break for destiny but come back and it is really good.
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Nov 2020 11:20:18 26,316 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @RedPanda87
    What is the difference in combat ?
  • RedPanda87 14 Nov 2020 11:31:04 2,069 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 it's turn-based now (well, continuous turn-based/on a timer I think) but so it's a lot more like typical JRPG combat rather than being a brawler. Also you control a party in combat rather than just one character.
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Nov 2020 11:35:41 26,316 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @RedPanda87
    Cheers
  • Darth_Flibble 14 Nov 2020 13:30:34 4,596 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mafia 2 definitive edition
    There has been some improvements but sometimes it looks a little rough and they really need to overhaul the shitty fist fighting, its fucking bad

But the game is more fun than Mafia 3 and feels like Mafia game

NFS Heat
    Playing it via gamepass and its like fast food, not bad but very shallow experience. Payback has some unique main missions, this is just more and more 3 round races or sprint race. Also fighting off the police cars is really unbalanced as the divvy devs didn't bother to add ways to stop the police (even 2005 Most wanted had crash breakers) Ghost games is a shit dev team, they have never made a game NFS game, the hot pursuit "remaster" came out this month and its still a better game (despite its really slightly updated port of 360/ps3 game)
  • Rogueywon 14 Nov 2020 22:23:44 10,023 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So not only is Dirt 5 shit, but it just randomly wiped my save. A quick google around shows that this is a common problem across all platforms.

This game is an absolute steaming pile of shit. Do not buy it, for any platform.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Nov 2020 23:48:25 10,654 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    So not only is Dirt 5 shit, but it just randomly wiped my save. A quick google around shows that this is a common problem across all platforms.

This game is an absolute steaming pile of shit. Do not buy it, for any platform.
    I havenít minded if, itís fine for a quick dirty blast of racing, some of the modes suck and online doesnít do private matches yet but itís fun enough.

Anyway I have put too much time into destiny this week. Itís more destiny but thatís not really a bad thing is it? I suppose the key will be whether I put it down in two weeks and not play it again until august (again)
  • Aramil47 15 Nov 2020 08:31:03 49 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Space marine
    Demon's Souls
    Dirt Rally 2.0

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.