Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 173

Next Last
  • Aramil47 15 Nov 2020 08:36:12 49 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Dirt 5 is pretty bad.

It was half price on cdkeys and I took a punt on it, on the grounds that I kinda liked Dirt 4. I knew EG had given it a no-mark review, but other than wanky indie games and Nintendo, EG seems to mark very hard these days.

Big mistake. It's arguable this one should have been an Avoid.

I'm not opposed to arcade races. I absolutely love the Forza Horizon games and I've no problem at all with the main-line Dirt games going to that end of the spectrum now that Dirt Rally is a thing. But this isn't even a good arcade racer. The handling feels utterly dead and lifeless.

The AI is some of the worst I've seen in a racing game for many years. There's blatant rubber-banding, with the difficulty settings apparently just tuning how aggressive said rubber-banding is. AI drivers don't even seem to obey the laws of physics at times. On the ice-lake races in particular, it's blatant from watching them that they're not affected by the loss of traction, as their handling is clearly the same as it is in the normal dirt-surface races. The AI doesn't seem to react at all to the player's presence and collision physics are hopeless.

Plus there are some really weird limitations. If you use any of the in-car or bonnet-cam views, you can't look behind you - only in a 180 degree forward arc. There's no rear view mirror in-car, so either you use a third-person camera, or you just have to live with not being able to see what's behind you.

Visuals are very poor. It's hard to believe this came out more than two years after Forza Horizon 4. Other than the fact I'm running in 4k, 60fps and HDR, the visuals could be a match for the original Forza Horizon, back on the 360.

The only upside so far is that while dudebro trappings are present, this game (unlike some of the older Dirt titles) is self-aware enough to make them skippable.
    Seems like Codies rushed it out of the gate prior to the new console launch. I guess they didn't get the memo that hitting the reset button with a new console launch isn't a thing anymore.

My concern is that now Take-Two own Codemasters things will only get worse with all the delightful monetization T2 will incorporate into Codies games library.
  • JoelStinty 15 Nov 2020 08:50:52 9,099 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Resogun.

Finishing the generation as I started off. Fancied giving this one last blast (on the PS4 at least) as I wait impatiently for my new console to arrive. Still one of my favs of the gen. didnít think that an arcade shooter on launch day would end up giving me so much joy and being in my top games of the generation. Iíve changed my psn id since Iíd last played it so Iíve been chasing high scores again. A little rusty but picking it back up and muscle memory is kicking in. A little sad looking at the leaderboards it never had much reach it seems. Already cracked the top 5000 with a relatively middling score and few friends on the leaderboards.

Stunning game.

Edited by JoelStinty at 08:51:32 15-11-2020
  • TechnoHippy 15 Nov 2020 14:13:06 18,010 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dead Space 3 - I hadn't realised I hadn't played it.

Gears Tactics - looks lovely, and good fun, but harder than I expected.

Tetris Connected - Great game, and good to finally see a version on Xbox.
  • Pipedream 15 Nov 2020 14:27:56 566 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dragon's Dogma

I keep on getting about 10 hours in then for some reason stop. This time I'm determined to complete it and I'm not allowing myself to play anything else until I do.
  • Drakesmoke 15 Nov 2020 14:54:10 681 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Black Ops Cold War (campaign).

Have bought it annually, and in fact mostly for the campaigns, since time immemorial. I'll unapologetically say that the popcorn formula just works for me and always has, only ones I didn't fully enjoy were BLOPS 3 (mixture of frame rate, muddled story and difficulty spikes) and Ghosts (which had decent game play but even for COD was distastefully jingo 'murrica).

Very impressed so far, and like the espionage elements. Cut scenes exhibit horrific video lag which I hope will be patched.

Game was too expensive. Sixty quid for bare bones digital. Found it at 55 on disc at Argos. Then the cheek of an extra 15 for next gen.

However, Activision gonna Activision and I'm enjoying the Michael Bay.

Edited by Drakesmoke at 14:54:40 15-11-2020
  • Rogueywon 15 Nov 2020 15:45:05 10,023 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Drakesmoke That's pretty much how I feel about the series. Be warned, though, Cold War is short.
  • wuntyate 15 Nov 2020 16:38:20 15,827 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Absolutely loving Silent Hill Homecoming. About halfway through now. It's aged well and, look, I really love the combat. It's Silent Hill distilled down and it's nowhere near being on a par with 2 or 3, of course not. It's a right bastardised SH. But you know what? It's good dammit.

Edited by wuntyate at 16:40:18 15-11-2020
  • EMarkM 15 Nov 2020 16:45:47 5,258 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Currently Playing: Bloodborne.

Ha ha.

Ah, fuck.

Ahem.
  • Rogueywon 15 Nov 2020 16:48:04 10,023 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Think I'm near the end of Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. In chapter 16 and it's all starting to feel quite end-game. I'm sure there'll be another stretch of grinding to do before the end, but it feels like another weekend might get me through it.
  • JoelStinty 15 Nov 2020 17:10:24 9,099 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    Black Ops Cold War (campaign).

Have bought it annually, and in fact mostly for the campaigns, since time immemorial. I'll unapologetically say that the popcorn formula just works for me and always has, only ones I didn't fully enjoy were BLOPS 3 (mixture of frame rate, muddled story and difficulty spikes) and Ghosts (which had decent game play but even for COD was distastefully jingo 'murrica).

Very impressed so far, and like the espionage elements. Cut scenes exhibit horrific video lag which I hope will be patched.

Game was too expensive. Sixty quid for bare bones digital. Found it at 55 on disc at Argos. Then the cheek of an extra 15 for next gen.

However, Activision gonna Activision and I'm enjoying the
    Michael Bay.
    It is going to feel expensive if you just play the campaign, but to be fair to the cod series it one of the more feature packed franchises, Mp, Zombies/spec ops, now with a battle royale mode. There is normally a lot of content to play. Never really felt short changed by a cod title.
  • richardiox 15 Nov 2020 17:32:56 9,140 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fight Night Champion courtesy of EA Access on Gamepass. For a 360 game the graphics hold up surprisingly well on the Series X. Really enjoyed FN1 and 2 but never got round to this one.
  • Dombat 15 Nov 2020 18:14:26 1,864 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Resogun.

Finishing the generation as I started off. Fancied giving this one last blast (on the PS4 at least) as I wait impatiently for my new console to arrive. Still one of my favs of the gen. didnít think that an arcade shooter on launch day would end up giving me so much joy and being in my top games of the generation. Iíve changed my psn id since Iíd last played it so Iíve been chasing high scores again. A little rusty but picking it back up and muscle memory is kicking in. A little sad looking at the leaderboards it never had much reach it seems. Already cracked the top 5000 with a relatively middling score and few friends on the leaderboards.

Stunning game.
    Never did get round to playing this. Been thinking of installing it this week as something to play while I wait for the PS5 instead of digging into my backlog of longer games.
  • Drakesmoke 15 Nov 2020 18:36:31 681 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Looking at the mission list for Cold War I'm about half way through and I'm fine with that length. So many games these days are too long and too free for the spare time I have.
  • Aramil47 15 Nov 2020 18:48:27 49 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Fight Night Champion courtesy of EA Access on Gamepass. For a 360 game the graphics hold up surprisingly well on the Series X. Really enjoyed FN1 and 2 but never got round to this one.
    Is that the one with the bare knuckle fighting? Brutal if I remember.
  • Rogueywon 15 Nov 2020 20:30:44 10,023 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh hello, my Dirt 5 save's back today.
  • Nitrous 15 Nov 2020 20:39:03 2,116 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Resident Evil 7 (PS4) last played back in Feb 2019 according to the save file. Really good, can't believe its taken me this long to finally get back to it.
  • EMarkM 16 Nov 2020 17:20:05 5,258 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pipedream wrote:
    Dragon's Dogma

I keep on getting about 10 hours in then for some reason stop. This time I'm determined to complete it and I'm not allowing myself to play anything else until I do.
    My favourite game the year it came out.

Took me a good few hours to realise the usefulness of the crafting system and a few other niceties, but once Iíd got my head around it all I fell in love with it completely.

ďIT HAS THE HEAD OF A COCK!Ē
  • Rogueywon 16 Nov 2020 23:24:00 10,023 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Huh... Quake 2 RTX is actually kinda playable on a 3090. Wasn't expecting that.
  • Malek86 17 Nov 2020 09:41:17 11,183 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon really pushing that $1499 card with a 23 years old game
  • JoeBlade 17 Nov 2020 11:05:38 5,377 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm trying to get into Ghostbusters remastered that I got for free off EGS. It's not good though, is it?

The original was utterly unplayable with KB+M due to some really odd restriction on the up/down movement; that at least works in the remaster. Everything else though, hmm.
  • Malek86 17 Nov 2020 11:21:43 11,183 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I gave up after the first tutorial ghost. Seemed like an absolute slog, or maybe I was doing something wrong, not sure.
  • Rogueywon 17 Nov 2020 11:42:51 10,023 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    @Rogueywon really pushing that $1499 card with a 23 years old game
    Yes, I'm quite aware of the irony. Funny thing is, I've seen larger performance gains from the 2080Ti to the 3090 in Quake 2 RTX than in any other title. Guess those Ampere ray-tracing enhancements are real.
  • Malek86 17 Nov 2020 11:58:06 11,183 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Using a RTX 3090 to play a game from the dawn of graphics accelerators. It's like that scene in 2001 Space Odyssey, except the monkeys are beating their enemies with smartphones.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Quake 2 enhancements in general. I prefer the original look still.

Edited by Malek86 at 11:59:17 17-11-2020
  • Beetroot_Bertie 17 Nov 2020 12:52:01 520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been enjoying Star Drift Evolution (steam) over the last couple of weeks or so.

It's a challenging (for me anyway, as I suck at it) but rewarding low-poly racing game with similar visual style to Art of Rally on the face of it. Although I've not played that for comparisons sake, this is less rally-focused and is more about circuit racing and mastering the cars and tracks. I've had a lot of fun so far and thought it worth a mention as it didn't seem to have been picked up much media-wise.

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 12:52:23 17-11-2020
  • Red_Bool 17 Nov 2020 13:29:37 2,090 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ni no kuni: Wrath of the white witch

About 7 hours in and still getting tutorials :).
    What a refreshing change of pace after Divinity II. Loving the art style, voice acting and story so far.
  • Aramil47 18 Nov 2020 15:34:11 49 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Started Shadows of Mordor. Bit clunky in places, but quite good fun.

Edited by Aramil47 at 15:34:31 18-11-2020
  • TechnoHippy 24 Nov 2020 16:51:12 18,010 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Quick resume has me playing several games, which I don't normally do. Bejewelled 3 (don't judge me too harshly :-) ), Gears Tactics, Valhalla, Dead Space 3 and Tetris.
  • EMarkM 24 Nov 2020 18:18:50 5,258 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Quick resume has me playing several games, which I don't normally do. Bejewelled 3 (don't judge me too harshly :-) ...
    You absolute ****.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.