Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 177

• Mola_Ram 27 Dec 2020 11:40:33 25,155 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

This might be the first one aside from 0 that I actually play through to the end. I really love the series, but usually I get burned out with all the stuff you can do in them. But I do genuinely love them.

I know that, objectively speaking, a big reason why they can churn out these games so quickly is that it's always (well, usually) in Kamurocho. And I get that it might feel a bit samey. But it's just really cool to see how the place has developed, which shops are still around. It feels like coming home, and I don't know any other series that creates anywhere near the same sense of place that Yakuza does.

Anyway, the new one. I love the RPG twist, love the new main character, and love the story so far. It's great.
  • Dazimus 27 Dec 2020 15:12:22 1,554 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ichi is such a good character. Definitely want to play more with him as the lead.

Iíve only played Yakuza 0 and Kiwami (as well as 7) and loved them both. I definitely want to carry on with the Kiryu series and Iíll try to get that done when they come onto Game Pass soon.

Iíve finished Judgment and Yakuza 7 in the last couple of months so Iím a little Yakuzaíd out at the moment.
  • Graxlar_v3 29 Dec 2020 08:46:12 10,806 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Finally getting around to playing bloodstained... itís a very good castlevania isnít it, with enough mental in it to fill a boat.

I am about 40% through the map (just got the light zappy thing) and I have a host of mental and surprising useful weapons and spells.
  • EdensDaddy 29 Dec 2020 08:52:23 36 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Iím finally playing god of war, Iíve had it in my backlog for ages. My PS4 sounded like it was going to take off when I first played it, so decided to hold off and play it on the Ps5. Iím loving it and can see why itís so highly regarded. Iím a fair few hours into it, I thought I had reached my goal last night but alas plot twist!
  • mrpon 29 Dec 2020 09:15:50 36,740 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    EDF 4.1 (£3.19) fancied a bug out and this delivers in spades. Playing the PS4 version on PS5, it loads pretty much instantly, which is nice.
  • EdensDaddy 29 Dec 2020 09:40:30 36 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    mrpon wrote:
    EDF 4.1 (£3.19) fancied a bug out and this delivers in spades. Playing the PS4 version on PS5, it loads pretty much instantly, which is nice.

I had EDF 2025? I think on the 360, that was such a blast. Is this similar, will it be any good playing on my own as I remember it being hard as nails and had to co op most of it.
  • mrpon 29 Dec 2020 09:47:32 36,740 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's bugs, big guns, loadouts etc.. I don't think the EDF formula has changed much in ten years! Loads of skill levels and yes co-op split screen plus you can redo each level with different classes if you're struggling.
  • EdensDaddy 29 Dec 2020 10:01:08 36 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @mrpon going to have to look out for this, after a quick Google Iíve also found EDF 5!
  • GNS1991 29 Dec 2020 10:29:35 50 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    I'm playing Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. I'm 44 hours in, but I think, I'm gonna finish up the "family" story-line, and call it a day for half-a-year or so, because the game is so freaking bloated and huge! Then, all will be left will be Legacy of the First Blade, some side-quests, some other main quests and Fate of Atlantis.
  • Darth_Flibble 29 Dec 2020 10:38:32 4,815 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Ichi takes a little time to get use to as he is a bit "cartoony" at times. Like the turn based battle system, the combat in the other games got very repetitive and there is no where they could go

Sea of solitude
    Its on gamepass/EA and its nice little game to chill to (so far) shooing seagulls and climbing about lighting up the darkness
  • Trowel 29 Dec 2020 10:42:46 24,077 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    EdensDaddy wrote:
    @mrpon going to have to look out for this, after a quick Google Iíve also found EDF 5!
    EDF 4.1 was great, but be warned that EDF 5 is a joyless fucking grind - it has 110 missions, and beyond about mission 40 there's basically no new enemies and very little variety, save for right towards the end when it introduces one of the best new aliens far too late.

And in usual EDF tradition you get about 2 bronze trophies for making it that far :/
  • Bichii 29 Dec 2020 11:57:59 4,214 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Playing a bit of Fortnite for the first time as trying to level up my daughter's character a bit when she is asleep. I find I either fight someone who might be a blind 5 year old they are so bad or the person is some kind of building jedi where when I shoot them in the back with a sniper rifle within about .5 of a second they have an entire tower of brick built. There is no in between.

I'm generally getting 4-8 kills each game but at some point I'll come across a wonder builder and I'm not interested in engaging in that, sure I can probably learn to do the same but those fire fights are so bloody dull. I've watching a few death cams where two wonder builders square off and it's zzzz. Not a game I'll play for myself but there's a lot to like in there, just not the building.
  • DFawkes 29 Dec 2020 12:12:16 32,744 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I feel the same way. I get that the building is a core part of the game so of course I get why it's there, but I'd enjoy that sort of thing more in the co-op mode that the core game was once supposed to be. The rapid creation of towers at the end of some games isn't for me either.
  • JoeBlade 29 Dec 2020 12:31:05 5,713 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I have no interest in battle royale games so neither do I have any in Fortnite but from what I've seen others play (primarily my mates' kids) building seems really out of place, at least in multiplayer. It just seems weird being able to make yourself nigh-untouchable almost instantaneously in this kind of game.
    If it were a timed ability like in MOBAs, sure, but here you can keep doing it until you run out of materials.

In SP where it's more of a tower defence/TPS crossbreed it has its merits but it seems SP is as dead as the dodo; haven't seen any of that anymore since about 6 months after Fortnite's initial previews.
  • mrpon 29 Dec 2020 12:35:59 36,740 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Bichii pretty sure the former are bots, shit ones at that because I won my first game after install. As for the builders:

• kentmonkey 29 Dec 2020 12:44:29 24,090 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    EdensDaddy wrote:
    EDF 4.1 was great, but be warned that EDF 5 is a joyless fucking grind - it has 110 missions, and beyond about mission 40 there's basically no new enemies and very little variety, save for right towards the end when it introduces one of the best new aliens far too late.

And in usual EDF tradition you get about 2 bronze trophies for making it that far :/
    I'm tempted to bite.

I bounced off of the only EDF game I played on either the PS2 or 3 (it was a very long time ago, I can't remember which) but I've always been tempted to give them another go.

I'll only be playing solo - is that going to be enjoyable or frustrating?
  • mrpon 29 Dec 2020 13:04:07 36,740 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm enjoying it solo! Only 10 missions in, had to up the difficulty to Hard as Normal was a cakewalk (famous last words!) It's a bit trial an error to determine the best loadout for each level, but that's part of the fun. Oh and you can knock the difficulty up or down for each level.

Let me tempt you even more, £35 credit for £30.85 at ShopTo (don't forget Quidco!) that was the best pound to credit ratio.

Edited by mrpon at 14:24:30 29-12-2020
  • Bichii 29 Dec 2020 15:28:02 4,214 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    @Bichii pretty sure the former are bots, shit ones at that because I won my first game after install. As for the builders:

Ha if that gif was the game that would be easy to kill the instant builders. I presume most of these instant builds are pc players as you can't do a 180 that quickly on a controller. I think every death last night was when I actually positioned myself better than my opponent and took a shot at them and because it didn't one hit kill them there was a brick fortress there a second later.

I don't think there are bots? Maybe just matchmaking you with other level ones? My kids won their first ever squad game and I assumed that was because they were paired up again other new players.

I did try un ticking cross platform but the wait times were pretty big as it defaults to cross platform. I imagine if I waited for PS4 only the building wouldn't be quite the same issue.

Edit. Quick search looks like there are sometimes bots to fill up games.

Edited by Bichii at 15:35:28 29-12-2020
  • Blakester 30 Dec 2020 19:57:58 5,179 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Playing so much right now - my gaming hiatus is well and truly over.

Have put over 40 hours into Days Gone since switching over to the PS5. Lovely game with great characters and missions. Iím fully immersed in the story and eager to see how it plays out.

Demon Souls (PS5) scares me. Iíve completed 1-1 but finding the boss in 2-1 a bit intimidating. Looks amazing on PS5.

COD Cold War (PS5) I got this for Christmas and really enjoyed the very short campaign mode, especially the Vietnam missions. Canít we just have a full COD Vietnam game please? No desire to get my arse handed to me in
    multiplayer.

On PC Iíve been trying out Hades and of course Cyberpunk 2077. The former is an absolute delight with that ďone more goĒ quality. Cyberpunk looks glorious on our mid-range rig and weíre getting consistent 60fps with everything on mid and high settings. The world theyíve created is stunning. 5 hours in and only just completed the intro!
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Dec 2020 20:48:21 29,481 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yakuza 6

Just started on PS4 Pro, it's beautiful and awesome so far, I'm fresh from Yakuza 5, don't want my Kiryu gaming to end :(

The Surge 2 (Series X) - Early doors but enjoying the sci-fi souls action, It'll no doubt get too hard and I'll ragequit but not yet.

Thinking of starting RE7 on the Series X as well...
  • dfunked09 30 Dec 2020 20:55:52 1,451 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    TLOU2 - As fairly recently mentioned in the abandoned games thread, I've decided to pick it back up and give it a second chance.
    Bizarrely I breezed through the bank encounter that seemed to highlight my annoyances with it last time around, so now I'm cracking on with the game proper (with a nice pump action shotty for my troubles)
    Probably a bit soon to say it, but it definitely feels like it's clicked now.

Destiny 2 - binged on it for a couple of days before I remembered that I just can't be arsed. I might come back to finish off the season title if the last few triumphs aren't too painful.

Also need to give Tesla Vs Lovecraft another go (extremely addictive twin stick shooter recommended by TechnoHippy)

Edited by dfunked09 at 20:57:12 30-12-2020
  • Bichii 30 Dec 2020 22:07:27 4,214 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Has anyone played Kentucky route zero? I've seen it on most goty lists and it's £10 on ps4 at the moment.
  • oldskooldeano 30 Dec 2020 22:15:08 3,285 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Has anyone played Kentucky route zero? I've seen it on most goty lists and it's £10 on ps4 at the moment.
    I found it a complete borefest. Aimless and dull. I can enjoy a game that is up itself too. Why anyone would find this Ďgameí engaging is beyond me. If you are a pretentious wanker then by all means give it a go.
  • Rogueywon 30 Dec 2020 22:16:54 10,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    oldskooldeano wrote:
    Bichii wrote:
    I found it a complete borefest. Aimless and dull. I can enjoy a game that is up itself too. Why anyone would find this Ďgameí engaging is beyond me. If you are a pretentious wanker then by all means give it a go.
    Seconded. I was sort-of intruiged by the premise and the aesthetic, but found the first episode terminally dull.

A lot of people seem to like it, though.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Dec 2020 22:24:05 25,155 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmmmm... well, I am a pretentious wanker, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
  • Tomo 30 Dec 2020 22:41:07 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm a pretentious wanker and I've been struggling through it for over a year. Think I've managed two chapters in that time. I love the aesthetic but I don't really 'get' the story so far so I'm finding it hard to engage with. Keep waiting for it to click and for some clarity to materialise, but not happened yet :(
  • Bichii 30 Dec 2020 22:45:50 4,214 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Okay cool thanks, I did think that might be the case from the few short videos I watched on it.
  • spookyxelectric 30 Dec 2020 22:46:15 332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The name just makes me want chicken, tbh.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Dec 2020 22:49:44 25,155 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The way it looks reminds me of a Murakami novel. They're usually pretty light on plot/making sense, and that usually doesn't bother me. So yeah, I'll probably check it out.
  • Deleted user 31 December 2020 07:47:56
    Thanks to my shiny new XSX and Game Pass, Iíve finally got around to playing Fallout New Vegas.

Iím enjoying it. I loved Fallout 3, and got part way through Fallout 4 before my PC blew up. As far as when you kill Kellog if memory serves.

4 was alright, but the base building element put me off and I didnít bother getting a console version to start it off again.

New Vegas is as good as everyone said. Not sure Iíll see it through to the end, as there are so many other games I want to try, but itís definitely nice to be back for now.

I think I need to put aside the main quest for a bit, though. I havenít been playing for more than about fifteen hours, and have already killed Benny and it feels like Iím rushing it a little.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.