• bone-on 24 Jan 2021 16:35:26 694 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Godfall on PC

Looks gorgeous and the hack n slash mechanics are simple but good bashy fun
  • Malek86 24 Jan 2021 18:55:45 11,670 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finished Stalker too. Man, this might actually be the year I make a significant dent in my backlog. It helps that I don't wanna spend any money due to a recent car purchase.

Of couse, given that there's Game Pass and then those free games with Gold and the ones from Epic and Twitch and several giveaways from GOG and Humble, my plans might be thwarted yet.

Already I need to choose between Bloodrayne, Breakdown, Fable Anniversary and Code Veronica X. Uhm... probably Bloodrayne.
  • Dombat 24 Jan 2021 19:00:59 1,900 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can see this mostly being a gaming backlog year for me. Got far too many games unplayed or barely started that I want to get stuck into, so Iím grateful itís looking quiet so far for new releases Iím genuinely interested in.
  • JoelStinty 24 Jan 2021 19:22:48 9,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Last Campfire.

A nice circuit break from everything else. Kind of like a more intimate version of Hob and Links awakening, it has a nice old school feel to it. Looks lovely and plays pretty well on the Switch -- though it does hang here and there on transitions.
  • MadCaddy13 25 Jan 2021 18:32:00 3,152 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Resident Evil 3

Just coming off my 6th or so play-through of resi 2 and thought Iíd give this another go too. Enjoying it a lot - these are the best games on the pc for me - awesome graphics, controls, setting and story.

Also playing Desperados 3 - nice tactical game but I find myself only playing it in bursts. Doesnít really hook me in.

Also Hades. Wow. This game really hooks you in! Gone through about 50 play throughs and beat Hades about 10 times now. Love it - itís so simple yet so plentiful in content.

Tried Darkest Dungeon but really couldnít be bothered to get into it so itís back on the pile.
  • Graxlar_v3 25 Jan 2021 18:36:51 10,848 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    I have a few games on the go atm, I am struggling to stick with 1 right nos

Crosscode - enjoying what I have played so far, about 2 hours in
    MHW - started again on PC, just need to rush through to icebourne as I never got round to if on console
    Curse of the dead gods - fun little rogue like, not as tight as hades but a lot of fun none the same
    Dragonball fighter z I am getting an itch for some fighting games and DBFZ (IMO) is still right at the top
    It took less than 1 week but all of these games are on the back burner now and I am all over ff14 again...

Got through all the recent patches, am upto date with the alliance (24 man) raids - if you are a fan of nier they are a treat - and working my way through the levels with weaving and mining (38 and 76 respectively). There really isnít much to do other than weekly grinding now but I just live running around in world.
  • Samildanach 25 Jan 2021 18:47:43 546 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Never tried the online Final Fantasies despite being a fan of the franchise. Probably because I have never tried any MMORPG, and I don't think I have the time to go down that rabbit hole.

Currently playing FFXV for the first time and absolutely loving it so far (9hrs in). It has been a long time since I felt the Final Fantasy magic, back in the days of FFXII on PS2 in fact, so it is very nice to be in the zone again. The FFXIII trilogy was alright, but didn't quite have the right ingredients. Having said that, had they somehow put the best aspects of those three games into a single game, it probably would have been great.
  • Rum_Monkey 25 Jan 2021 19:03:03 2,193 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Miles Morales.

Only played this and AC Valhala on the ps5 so far and this is head and shoulders better than AC in terms of presentation. Not that AC is a bad looking game but the jank compared to this makes it look worse.

It will never get old swinging about as Spidey.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Jan 2021 20:46:48 16,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just firing up Persona 5 for the first time thanks to Roguey
  • StixxUK 26 Jan 2021 08:29:48 8,555 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I just started Disco Elysium

Not really sure what it is yet, seems half way between an RPG and a point and click adventure... Definitely liking the style though. Been looking forward to it for a while!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Jan 2021 08:37:46 16,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @StixxUK from what Iíve seen and read this looks like something I should definitely be hyped for when the console edition comes out in March.
  • azurelas_2 26 Jan 2021 09:56:20 2,071 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Control on an RTX 2070 (still hesitating between the RX 6800XT and RTX 3070).

The graphics are beyond amazing. DLSS is wizardry and it runs at 75+ fps (dips to 55fps during really heavy scenes but that's due to my underpowered 4770k).

The game itself is really good too despite the rock-hard difficulty spikes.
  • Malek86 26 Jan 2021 11:51:57 11,670 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was able to run Control pretty well even on my Ryzen 3600 and RX480. Of course it was low medium details, and resolution down to 75%, but it looked pretty good and still held a stable 60fps. Well, I was only able to try the first thirty minutes or so, up until you acquire launch and start throwing debris around. I don't know if things would have got worse later on.

It is a massive CPU hog, the temperature reached 80 degrees while playing.
  • DrStrangelove 27 Jan 2021 01:25:22 15,427 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Giving this another shot after abandoning it early on many years ago because it bored me. I've persisted longer this time but still I'm struggling with boredom.

I have to ask. My issue is that it feels like I'm going through the same room again and again, stairs up left and right and left and right, jump left, jump right, jump left etc. Another vertical room, platforms left and right, platform centre. Platforms left and right, platform centre. Platforms left and right, platform centre. Rinse and repeat. Honestly this feels more like Metroid 1 than Super Metroid.

Then, many horizontal rooms are just a flat plane with the same enemy again and again. It's just so numbingly repetitive.

So my question is, does the game change radically at some point or is this representative of the whole game? Some 1-2 hours in I'm still struggling to find any joy here.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 01:26:44 27-01-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Jan 2021 08:05:26 16,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Thatís pretty much it to be honest.

You get to mix it up slightly with some new abilities and fight some new enemy types and eventually replay the entire thing with the map flipped upside down but yeah, thatís the gameplay loop.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Jan 2021 19:09:48 16,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Slightly paralysed by choice on the Divinity 2 character creation. Feels like a missed opportunity to pick one of the prebuilds but how to create something unique and playful that doesnít overlap too much with any of them.

Usually in Western RPGs Iím often guilty of creating really bland player-characters and casting them as a normal guy/gal thrown into extraordinary circumstances. This game feels like it deserves more from me.
  • DrStrangelove 27 Jan 2021 22:01:06 15,427 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

Cheers. I'll try to keep going because it wouldn't be the first game that left me with a bad impression first but clicked later. There's just such a dissonance between the praise it gets and my personal experience so far.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Jan 2021 23:57:08 25,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SotN is a mess of a game, to be fair. A beautiful mess.
  • Tomo 28 Jan 2021 00:07:52 18,984 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Barely played anything since work resumed this year :(

Few hours of Cyberpunk, but playing games at the same PC which I've already spent 8 hours in front of working is a tall order.
  • Rogueywon 28 Jan 2021 00:10:23 11,038 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Tomo Work provide me with a laptop. I'm incredibly careful to keep that as far as possible from the gaming PC. In the early days of Lockdown 1, I was doing a bit of Doom Eternal on the gaming PC at lunch time. These days, I have to keep an absolute separation... the gaming PC doesn't get touched until the work laptop is shut down.

Everything is shit right now.
  • Tomo 28 Jan 2021 00:15:01 18,984 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I couldn't work on a laptop - my productivity would plummet unfortunately. I was okay working and gaming at the same PC for large parts of last year, but I'm definitely struggling more with the mundanity of everything in this lockdown. Chin up etc.
  • Rogueywon 28 Jan 2021 00:27:25 11,038 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Tomo My work laptop has a mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse plugged in, plus a 4k monitor. It's not that different to working on a desktop.
  • Tomo 28 Jan 2021 00:34:11 18,984 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah my work laptop is a beast. Hooked up to two screens, it's as good as a desktop PC, but it needs to stay at work so I can remote in. Even if I could get another computer at home, I have no room in my shoebox flat for another workstation. Wahhh.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 28 Jan 2021 00:53:22 16,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

Cheers. I'll try to keep going because it wouldn't be the first game that left me with a bad impression first but clicked later. There's just such a dissonance between the praise it gets and my personal experience so far.
    I donít think I ever made it to the true ending but I got all I needed from it. Playing on Xbox360 not PS1 original.

But then I loved Blasphemous which just takes every part of Castlevania to the next level. Mostly by also being a 2D Dark Souls in the best way.
  • DrStrangelove 28 Jan 2021 02:31:15 15,427 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Malek86 28 Jan 2021 12:10:52 11,670 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just started Breakdown.

After one hour, I can't understand if it's a masterpiece or a trainwreck.

That's a good sign, probably, maybe.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.