Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 185

• Darth_Flibble 8 Feb 2021 19:56:09 4,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wasteland 3

Got back into it after a gap, it still has long loading times and crashes on xbox one. Its still a great game despite some difficulty spikes as soon as you get to the bizarre market area and xcom does the turn based combat better so far.

The world building is so far ahead of fallout 4 or the crap that is 76.
  • Samildanach 8 Feb 2021 20:29:11 546 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Final Fantasy XV
    Loving it. Just arrived in Altissa after the road trip first 8 chapters and I can't get enough of this game. For context, I have been only doing the odd side quest here and there so I don't overlevel for the main quest. Normally I would be doing everything going before moving on, but in this case I'd rather have the right challenge for the premium main story content and be later over-levelled for the cookie-cutter side quests than vice versa.
    This approach has also given me the impression (illusion) while travelling from town to town that there is a massive varied world out there. Obviously if I spent hours doing all the sidequests the curtain would fall and the repetitive mechanics would likely be revealed in all their dull glory, but instead I can enjoy this illusion of a big, living breathing world.
    Also, I am carefully indulging in all the peripheral stuff like the film, anime, prologue story and dlcs at the apparent appropriate times (in game), to flesh out the story as I gather it is a bit patchy without them.
    So the plan is working well so far and it looks like it might be my favourite FF experience since FF12 in the PS2 days. Not that the FFXIII trilogy, FF Type 0 and FF Dimensions really put up much of a challenge (tho FFXIII-2 was a guilty pleasure). Will it all come crashing down in the second half of the game? We shall see...

Edited by Samildanach at 20:29:45 08-02-2021
  • Red_Bool 9 Feb 2021 11:30:37 2,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Horace

I think I'm passed the halfway point. Occasionally hard as nails platforming, but very enjoyable (although it took a bit of time to get used to the controls and that it was really me making the mistakes 😉;).
    The story really got me and drives me forward. The various nods to classic games and movie culture made me chuckle. A true labour of love this game.
  • Dombat 9 Feb 2021 11:49:38 1,900 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pushed on with Cyberpunk 2077 over the last few days, making good progress with the main story missions. Iíll leave a large chunk of the side content for a second playthrough, which Iíll do at some point with a very different and more optimised build on a higher difficulty.

After the initial buzz of the game I found myself losing interest in it for a while and playing other stuff, but Iíve really enjoyed it again the last few days.
  • Pipedream 9 Feb 2021 12:39:47 606 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Red_Bool it's a heck of a lot longer than I expect. Think it took me around 10 hours to complete.
  • Red_Bool 9 Feb 2021 12:53:36 2,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Pipedream - It sure is, isn't it? I'm in chapter 14 now and it feels like I've already played it for more than 10 hours (playing on Switch, did not check). And still it is throwing new stuff at me (and not just more difficult stuff).
  • Rogueywon 9 Feb 2021 12:57:58 11,038 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    @Pipedream - It sure is, isn't it? I'm in chapter 14 now and it feels like I've already played it for more than 10 hours (playing on Switch, did not check). And still it is throwing new stuff at me (and not just more difficult stuff).
    You've still got quite a long way to go, including the hardest stuff in the game. For me, the difficulty peaked in chapter 17. The game goes on for a good while after that, but it felt like it was all downhill from 18 onwards as far as difficulty goes.
  • wuntyate 9 Feb 2021 13:17:29 16,533 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nioh 2 on PS5 - All kinds of nice smooth buttery death filled goodness.

AC: Odyssey - Love everything about it bar the pish combat, which is a bit of a problem as there's so much of it. Rest of the game is superb though so it's keeping me interested.

Mortal Kombat 11 - A sudden urge to gouge faces off and break limbs means I've fired this back up. Still shite at it but that's what the easy difficulty is for.

Chess.com - Because I seem to be getting quite addicted. Not got the balls to play against another human yet though.
  • Red_Bool 9 Feb 2021 13:58:33 2,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Red_Bool wrote:
    You've still got quite a long way to go, including the hardest stuff in the game. For me, the difficulty peaked in chapter 17. The game goes on for a good while after that, but it felt like it was all downhill from 18 onwards as far as difficulty goes.
    Until I saw your post in the recently completed games thread a while back, I was not even aware that it would be this difficult (already bought it in the sale then). It's quite a challenge already. But what I lack in skills I make up in perseverance ;)
  • Rogueywon 9 Feb 2021 14:01:05 11,038 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Red_Bool I came agonisingly close to dropping the game on the chapter mentioned in my post above. There was one particular screen that I tried dozens and dozens of times before finally getting through it. Unlike most other rooms in the game, it had no mid-way checkpoints or anything. Damn near broke me... but after that, it got much, much gentler.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Feb 2021 16:54:08 16,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Whats a good fighting game to have on hand for a mega casual on PS4?

Last I had was MK9 on Xbox 360
  • spookyxelectric 9 Feb 2021 19:01:11 368 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tekken 7 is very easy to pick up and play, but can get very technical if you eventually want to get competitive with it. It's had loads of Season Passes with added characters, which could be either a good thing or a turn off.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Feb 2021 19:56:40 16,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers. Iíve got so many RPGs in my backlogue that reassessing it Iíve got hardly any pick and play quick hit titles and this is my biggest gap.

Like literally whats in the Mega Drive Collection is all Iíve got and that Virtua Fighter is bad.
  • retro74 9 Feb 2021 21:54:33 3,605 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Going back to the Resident Evil chat on the other page, itís really interesting that people run rather than fight

Personally I never run away in RE games as I find that you often take a hit or two each time and end up running out of health

One thing I do sometimes though is replay a section if Iíve not done it ďoptimallyĒ so I can ensure Iím not wasting any ammo
  • dfunked09 9 Feb 2021 23:31:28 1,614 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @retro74
    I found that it's a hell of a lot easier to run rings around enemies with the first person view of Resi 7. Old school Resi games with fixed camera angles and tank controls weren't so easy to maneuver in!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Feb 2021 01:22:36 16,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @retro74 I canít remember if or how often I did it in the originals but in the early stages of 7, 2 and 3 remakes I would definitely leave some who I either didnít have the resources early on or knew werenít going to be any trouble. 7 tended to be more in a bit more about fearing for my life than the other two although those early street sections are not really worth hanging about on in 3.

I tend to mop up on later passes through the area when Iíve got ammo to spare and convenience trumps survival.
  • HoriZon 10 Feb 2021 01:41:53 14,326 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Doom 3 in VR on the Quest never played it this far must be half way through now best game on Quest by far :)
  • Red_Bool 12 Feb 2021 09:06:49 2,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon Re: Horace - I'm in chapter 19 now (back from the moon. I think I understand which room you meant (the trials from the man in black?).
    Also, I'm not easily shocked but one particular scene had me sitting with my mouth open. It was rather unexpectedly brutal and made me realize how much this game and its characters had grown on me. The last game that was able to do that was Life is strange...
  • Rum_Monkey 12 Feb 2021 09:17:32 2,193 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ghosts of Tsushima

Looks great for a ps4 game with the update, it's lovely and smooth. Playing as a Samurai is just fucking cool.
  • Rogueywon 12 Feb 2021 09:50:11 11,038 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Red_Bool Yep, I think it's the middle of the three challenge rooms from the man in black. After that, while there are a couple of tricky-ish sections, the difficulty never goes back up to that level.

And yeah, the plot drops some serious shit on you at that point.
  • ghearoid 12 Feb 2021 09:50:58 3,705 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Breath of the Wild (Master mode) yes, playing it yet again. It's my favourite game now and I never get bored of it. Just done fifty shrines, two towers left to unlock and I'm on my way to get the special thing in the forest. ;)

Doraemon Story of Seasons - I'm in summer of year three, just have one final stamp to collect. Fun little farming sim, quite charming if a little bit juvenile at times.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy - I've kept buying yet ignoring these games for years but not any more!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Feb 2021 19:54:44 16,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still Divinity 2 about 30 hours in and making some solid feeling progress. It still doesnít feel like it has a Main Quest as such so its mostly pootling about doing fantasy shit which is pretty perfect for me right now. I do wish there were more non-combat options for different quests but its not a big problem.

Tony Hawk 1 & 2 - lost all my progress but starting from scratch is fine by me. Especially with some of the tweaks that have been patched in giving me a reason to try more skaters on the tour mode.

The Pathless - successor to Abzu and Journey. Put my first hour this afternoon. So far it doesnít quite have the majesty of the other two but its early doors on a bigger game. It is gorgeous though and already hints at the classic lost civilisation and sweeping music. The gameplay is supersmooth and its definitely retained the mythic storybook vibe. Iíd seen some reviews saying the gameplay was minimal and boring but after a first play I think theyíve missed the point.
  • RichDC 12 Feb 2021 20:30:10 9,027 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Witcher 3

Feels like I've been playing it for months and still loving it. I think I'm coming to the end of the main quest which has been ok, but it's all the side stories which have been really stood out. Still have the DLC to do afterwards.
  • JoeBlade 12 Feb 2021 21:22:05 5,865 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm doing it again. Total dark, headphones only, Alien on the big screen, Alien Isolation on the gaming screen. And I live by myself for the record.

It's sort of an endurance test I suppose.
  • dfunked09 12 Feb 2021 21:29:08 1,614 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @JoeBlade
    I hope you don't have a pet?

My cat jumping on my lap in a similar scenario was legit the biggest jump scare of my life.
  • JoeBlade 12 Feb 2021 21:34:33 5,865 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    @JoeBlade
    I hope you don't have a pet?

My cat jumping on my lap in a similar scenario was legit the biggest jump scare of my life.
    No fortunately not, being the sole living being in my apartment is a saving grace. Though I must admit the tension is rising quite quickly o_O
  • Rogueywon 12 Feb 2021 23:41:13 11,038 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Trying to play Code Vein in co-op and Nioh 2 solo in parallel is pure pain. Playing two Soulslikes at once is a recipie for pure brainfuck as the differences in controls, timings and general combat flow utterly breaks you.

Code Vein is pretty gentle as Soulslikes go, bar a couple of late-game bosses, but it is pretty fucking hard when your brain is telling you that all of the buttons do things that they do not do.
  • Rum_Monkey 13 Feb 2021 00:09:35 2,193 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Ghosts of Tsushima

Looks great for a ps4 game with the update, it's lovely and smooth. Playing as a Samurai is just fucking cool.
    Still this.

But I've now sliced my horse 15.5x pressing triangle instead of R2.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Feb 2021 00:28:20 16,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    First area cleansed in Pathless. Iíve not played Breath of the Wild so I canít comment on the comparisons people draw between this and that but after a couple of hours exploring and all that Iím surprised more reviewers didnít mention Shadow of the Colossus.
  • jonathanlealand 13 Feb 2021 08:18:47 143 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rogue-likes, basically!

As a 40 year old family
    man they just fit into my lifestyle so much better than other more traditional games.

Risk of Rain 2

40 hours in with all but two characters unlocked. The time = difficulty mechanic, the ambience, the music, the crazy builds, the flow states, the online multiplayer... what a fabulous game.

Spelunky 2

There are so many subtle nuances to this game. 70 hours in and still learning new tricks and solving mysteries. The shops are just genius. When I play this one my kids all gather round giving advise and commentating. This is an all-timer

Everspace

Put an hour into this and found it a bit confusing.
    Need to give it some proper time but keep getting dragged back into the above games.

Slay the Spire

The synergies, oh wow the synergies! The sedate pace and considered play of STS is a really nice palette cleanser to more actiony stuff. Having given up on CCGs itís nice to play a card game that is self contained and doesnít require more money and time to Ďkeep upí. Finished with two characters so far.

Has anyone tried playing Undermine yet? That one looks decent.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.