Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 190

• SnackPlissken 13 Mar 2021 11:14:46 3,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Decided on Control Ultimate Edition. Probably played about 4 hours and Iím slightly underwhelmed. Maybe I had high expectations because of the praise, but it seems very much like the disappointing Quantum Break.
  • Killerbee 13 Mar 2021 23:09:03 5,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @SnackPlissken

I was pretty underwhelmed at the beginning, but it does get much better when you unlock a few more abilities and start to visit more visually interesting parts of the Oldest House. Starting the game in some office space is not very inspiring. It does improve a lot.

Be sure to do the first few side quests you pick up as they unlock some new abilities. Quite why they put them off of the main path Iíve no idea, but the game comes alive when you have more moves and weapons at your disposal.

I just got the Platinum trophy and I think Iím not far off finishing the second DLC - and I felt much the same when I first started it.
  • Darth_Flibble 14 Mar 2021 08:22:46 5,101 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Doom 3

Its on gamepass now and its like putting on old comfy shoes. The game really needs a proper remaster with improved character models and changes to the shotgun etc. This is just a port of the 360 BFG edition, very little work has been done for xbox one

The game is very diverse for gamers, with the slower pace and the monster closet spawns. It still decent to play but needs a real remaster
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Mar 2021 09:02:23 17,132 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The monster closets were cheap at the time and a real pain in the arse now.

The rest of it has aged pretty well. I think now everyone has gotten over the fact that it was a different pace of game the stuff it got right is much more (and rightfully) appreciated.
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Mar 2021 10:41:16 26,586 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Xbox:
    GR Breakpoint. Only just started, like what I have played. The amount of options is mind-blowing!
    AC Valhalla: 30 hours in

PS4:
    AC Syndicate. (in my top3 AC games)

"paused" AKA not played for around 4 weeks, but not abandoned.
    Mass Effect Andromeda
    FO4
    Control

Abandoned:
    Night Call
    Remnant
    NFS HP
  • ISmoke 14 Mar 2021 10:44:38 1,699 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hopping between lots of games at the moment. Got a bit burned out of Valhalla so I've stopped playing that but will return at some point as I'm so close to the end.

Bought some new PC parts so I decided to download Control and Cyperpunk 2077 for the eye candy and to try and be impressed by the ray tracing. Got a bit bored of Control but I've been advised to stick with it as you end up becoming a bit of a Jedi with all the powers towards the end.

Played an hour or so of C2077 but going to give it a few weeks and let this rumoured patch come out and hopefully make it a bit more stable. It's hammering my CPU at 100% at the moment (if i turn down CPU power in control panel it sorts it out, bizarrely) so I'll return when/if ever it gets fixed. Failing that I'll have to turn down crowd density

so in saying all that I'm still playing my old trust, Modern Warfare multiplayer
  • monsieur-Cosmo 14 Mar 2021 12:27:29 643 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    "paused" AKA not played for around 4 weeks, but not abandoned.
    Mass Effect Andromeda
    I knew there must've been someone else in the world playing this!
    Not sure what you think of it, but personally I'm enjoying it. So many QOL improvements against ME 2 (which is the only original ME game I completed).
    So yeah, that's what I play. It's huge BTW, about 20 hours in and only scratched the surface.
  • dfunked09 14 Mar 2021 12:41:56 1,901 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Saw Deus Ex Mankind Divided mentioned somewhere else so decided to give it another go (I played through the intro bit at launch then abandoned it as I wasn't in the mood)
    For some reason I have it for PC and PS4 so started it on PS5 before changing my mind and picking it up on PC instead. Ultra settings at 144fps is a nice improvement!

Paused;
    13 Sentinels
    Dirt 5

Abandoned;
    Persona 5 Strikers (just didn't click with the combat)
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Mar 2021 13:55:17 26,586 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @monsieur-Cosmo
    Hi mate. I am enjoying. I think I'm around lvl 12. I have played and loved the original trilogy. I wish we had more control over our party though, like in ME3.
    Looking forward to the remasters a great deal.
  • jonathanlealand 14 Mar 2021 16:11:44 167 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble I wonder if/what changes theyíll make to Doom 3 VR
  • jonathanlealand 14 Mar 2021 16:13:56 167 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just downloaded Monster sanctuary. Audio/visuals are bland and forgettable but the game looks polished with decent mechanics. Been bouncing off of a lot of acclaimed AAA games so going with something a bit low fi.
  • Rodimus-Prime 15 Mar 2021 17:26:50 426 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shen Mue 3.

My mum got it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago, and i played it for about 5 minutes before thinking 'i waited all these years for this?', and turning it off to never be revisited again.

I felt kind of bad once i gave away my PS4 pro and my meagre collection of on-disc games (i have the all digital PS5), so seeing it on sale on the PS store i had to buy it. Especially as i had foolishly bought the DLC all those years ago.

Getting more into it, it's actually not that bad. A rural village was always going to be difficult to live upto Dobuita and Hong Kong, so i think that is partly why my initial impression wasn't great, but the gameplay is fine.

When i finish work today i'm hoping to play a bit more, as i've just made it to Niaowu, which looked great in the opening cut scene and i think Shen Mue works better in a more built up environment.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Mar 2021 17:36:38 17,132 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    Saw Deus Ex Mankind Divided mentioned somewhere else so decided to give it another go (I played through the intro bit at launch then abandoned it as I wasn't in the mood)
    Iím not super far in but Iím enjoying what Iíve played. For a game thats not that old it does feel oddly dated in some of its mechanics like the sticky cover walls and takedown animations.

Its really not afraid of a cut scene either. After that prologue mission thereís like three or four separate cut scenes one after another some in-engine, others FMV, before you next control Jenson for real. I get these are cinematic games but let me play.

Its fun though. Its nice to have something quite focussed and linear after so long with a crpg as my main.

Edit - Iíve just realised the DLC store has single use in-game upgrades available for real world money. Bulllllllllshit.

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 00:09:08 16-03-2021
  • Killerbee 15 Mar 2021 19:37:33 5,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Iím back on Maquette as a bit of a palette cleanser after platinuming Control and before I start on God of War.

I think Iím about half way. The voice over is horribly twee and Iím struggling to really care about the narrative being constructed. Puzzles are ok - thereís actually not much solving to do; more lots of aimlessly wandering to try to find a solution. Shame really - the concept has loads of potential but the execution is only partly successful.

Ticking over:

Demonís Souls
    Immortals: Fenyx Rising

Parked, possibly abandoned because I canít muster the energy or enthusiasm to grind levels all over again just to get back to where I was before the season changed:

Destiny 2
  • RedPanda87 22 Mar 2021 12:40:17 2,132 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Persona 5 Royal

I'm about 50 hours in and I believe less than halfway through, which means I'm not at all sure whether I'll actually finish it, as it's entirely too long. But I'm enjoying it a lot so far - this is almost certainly the most time I've spent on a JRPG (a genre I want to like but rarely do).

There's surprisingly little filler (other than the Metaverse, which at least so far seems somewhat optional and flexible in terms of when you go there/how much time you spend there), and the dungeons are way better designed than most JRPG ones (again, other than the Metaverse). All the stuff outside the dungeons is even better.

There is apparently a requirement for seeing an entire semester of the game (which I guess is most of the Royal content) and I only know about this because I happened to see online - maybe there will be some major warning later, but I'd think it would have happened already if there was going to be one, as it's something you can work on from early on.

And if there's not a warning that's some diabolically terrible design, since it's a requirement that could easily be missed, and you can't reasonably expect people to play a 100+ hour game multiple times. So, I'm very glad I read that.

But that aside, this is looking set to be my favourite JRPG, and not a million miles from one of my favourite games.
  • Nitrous 22 Mar 2021 13:33:28 2,252 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    After playing the excellent Wreckfest over the weekend and obtaining another platinum trophy I've finally gone back to Concrete Genie. Really enjoy the art style and it's something different to play.
  • Killerbee 22 Mar 2021 15:35:02 5,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I finished off Maquette. It was... ok I guess. Sadly it didnít deliver on the potential of the core concept and the ďstoryĒ didnít do anything for me. At least it was short. 5/10.

Properly back on Immortals Fenyx Rising now and enjoying it a lot. I can see why the script might be a bit marmite, but I find it breezy, fun and amusing. Definitely a welcome change for the usual po-faced seriousness of many open world games.

I spent a bit of time doing side quests, grabbing chests and collectibles and am liking the fact that most of this stuff isnít just random odds and ends lying around, but instead thereís a nice little puzzle or challenge in place to make the reward feel worthwhile.

It actually makes me more inclined to go hunting for this stuff because i know there is usually some gameplay involved; itís not just running around hoovering up icons from the Ubi-map.

Edited by Killerbee at 15:36:19 22-03-2021
  • Malek86 22 Mar 2021 22:52:52 11,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Started Prince of Persia 2 tonight. Holy crap, here I thought the first game was hard enough. There's no room for errors and the levels are long, confusing, and much more booby-trapped.
  • Nanocrystal 23 Mar 2021 00:44:43 2,386 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FFVII Remake (PS5)

Despite being massively in love with the original, I've only just got around to playing this. Just a couple of hours in so far. The presentation is great, particularly the score (I mean GOD DAMN how good is the music), but not sure yet about the combat. The first big boss fight was an absolute mess, confusing camera movements, constant cutting away from the fight to a little cut scene (at one point interrupting my limit break), way too much happening, button mashing bollocks. Really hoping the other boss fights improve on this. The subsequent fights with regular soldiers on the city streets, including a mini-boss guy with a shield, were MUCH more enjoyable. Explain to me why we couldn't just have regular turn-based combat again please?

Edited by Nanocrystal at 00:46:00 23-03-2021
  • Deleted user 23 March 2021 02:46:09
    Replaying Fallout 4.

There is something to this exploring and scavenging style of game, I enjoy collecting and scrapping stuff to make better gear, levelling up yadda yadda. But I dread any encounter with people because all the characters suck. All the dialogue sucks. All of the writing, all of the story sucks.

The action, erm cough. After getting my first shot, I'm just firing blindly hoping the enemy is still in roughly the same position. Because my gun fills up the lower half of the screen and makes firey visual effects while enemies are just as grey as the environment. I always have to pause to find out where the enemy is because everything in this fucking game is grey.

And what is it with your view bobbing up and down while doing anything, e.g. reloading? Don't anyone tell me that's realistic. Even if you're reloading a heavy weapon, your head won't bob up and down like that. And even if it was... you know, you have eyes. Your eyes aren't screwed into your skull, they have a habit of compensating for your head movement. This view bobbing is probably meant to be realistic, but it's actually the opposite and it just fucking sucks.

And facial animation is in the uncanny valley. It is more detailed than Skyrim without being better. Skyrim was fine in its comparatively low detail, if you have higher detail like this but still primitive animation and nonexistent lighting it ends up being actually worse. In 2015, this level of animation was pretty much unacceptable for an AAA game. I've also been playing Skyrim (original) recently and that has aged better.

I still like this games for the parts it does right, but... damn their next game needs some radical change. And I'm not optimistic about that.
  • Mola_Ram 23 Mar 2021 06:03:44 25,619 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's Bethesda. I don't think they're capable of radical change. Not when they've been basically making the same game for 20 years or so, and that game still sells.
  • mrpon 23 Mar 2021 15:25:38 37,082 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just Cause 3 (PS4) on PS5, boy it's piss slow loading! Enjoying the carnage, but is there a campaign I should be following? I skimmed the menus. I should delve a bit deeper perhaps, I'm on 5% completion.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Mar 2021 15:43:39 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bethesda are shit but I do love killing people using V.A.T.S.
  • jonathanlealand 24 Mar 2021 09:30:07 167 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Astral Chain

Appreciate the cool visuals and the obvious depth to the combat system but 4 hours in and still wading through tutorials. Modern games are just so bloated.
  • Malek86 24 Mar 2021 12:22:16 11,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm in a Sonic Adventure 2 mood, so I've started playing the 360 port. Bought it ages ago, never really played it. And to think I totally rinsed the Gamecube version twenty years ago.

While I yearn for a modern remake with good controls, for now this will have to do.

PS. I still hate City Escape, with its terrible initial grindings section, uneven slopes, and difficulty of maintaining a high speed throughout. Metal Harbor on the other hand is much closer to what I'd expect 3D Sonic to play out.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:23:48 24-03-2021
  • Ultrasoundwave 27 Mar 2021 13:46:56 6,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    After two or three false starts (create a character, do a few hours, abandon) Iím finally going to dive in to Monster Hunter World.

All the hype surrounding Rise has persuaded me to stick with it this time. From the limited time Iíve put into it I know thereís a great game there, itís just having the persistence to stick with it....Iím guessing I havenít reached the stage yet where it ďhooksĒ you.

Will be going through the whole thing single player and Iíve also purchased Iceborne to incentivise me to persist with it.....hopefully this is the time it clicks with me.
  • PierrePressure 27 Mar 2021 16:17:53 1,373 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ghost of Tsushima.

The setting and the graphics do hide some pretty archaic game design. Having said that I'm probably going to try and get the platinum so it's doing something right. I just don't know what.
  • JoeBlade 27 Mar 2021 17:10:53 6,005 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Murder by Numbers

A cute Picross meets Visual Novel game, well worth the discounted price I bought it at (6 euros or thereabout on Steam)

It's not particularly challenging but it's a fun little time waster and well made for a game of this magnitude/budget. The game's somewhat longer than I expected too; I reckon I'm about 2/3rds in - not counting bonus puzzles - and according to Steam I spent 16 hours on it.
  • Malek86 27 Mar 2021 17:47:29 11,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Started Fable Anniversary, and finished the training part.

It reeks of very low budget for a Microsoft-developed remake. Guess they knew they were going to close down Lionhead soon? It runs in UE3 and yet feels much more jank than most AAA Xbox 360 games running on that engine. Despite running on the Series S, the controls feel pretty laggy and even accessing some menus comes with its own amount of lag. I'm not a fan of the visual style either, the original looked better imo.

On the plus side, it does look sharp (it's an enhanced 360 title so should be around 1280p), and the aniso filtering and auto HDR add to the picture too. Now that I'm done with the basic tutorial, which was one of the longest tutorials ever, I'll play for a while longer and decide if it's worth keeping up.

Edited by Malek86 at 17:48:11 27-03-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.