Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 191

• Rum_Monkey 29 Mar 2021 23:24:45 2,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hitman 3

I haven't be able to get into the Hitman games since blood money ditching then a few missions in. I'm not sure why because this has reminded me how much I loved them.

I think it's because I stopped approaching them like a puzzle game. Loved one of the ways to complete a hit was basically playing out the film Knives out.
  • creepiest-lizard 30 Mar 2021 00:57:58 2,301 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Amnesia:rebirth

I felt like playing a creepy game and its not bad. One particular bit did make me jump right out of the bloody chair. The atmosphere is pretty eerie.
    I would have thought the developers could have moved on a bit graphically though.
  • Robospud 30 Mar 2021 01:25:49 145 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Really been getting into Skyrim. I bounced off it when it first released, just like I did with Oblivion and Fallout 4, and Iíd basically written off all Bethesda games as rubbish.

But on Series X with FPS boost it really seems to hide a lot of that trademark Bethesda jankiness. Iím sure ultrafast load times and quicksaves help too, and I guess the special edition has a decadeís worth of bug fixes and enhancements for rereleases too.

The dialog and voice acting is still terrible of course, but the amount of role playing possibilities with the various skill trees and items and factions you can join is really impressive. Iím playing a stealth archer (I wasnít aware this was such a stereotype when I started playing) with a bit of conjuration, working my way up the thieves guild and getting constantly side tracked by things I come across along the way. Feels like a game Iím going to get many more hours out of.
  • JoeBlade 30 Mar 2021 01:47:35 6,005 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Skyrim's pretty good actually. It suffers from being a typical "modern" Bethesda game on a number of levels but it's also my second favourite of the series (after Morrowind) and can be simple but good fun if you can look past the flaws.

Arena and Daggerfall are really janky by today's standards while Oblivion suffered from being the first one in the 'new Bethesda game mould', e.g. the enemy auto levelling is implemented pretty poorly in that one. And there's the mind numbingly boring oblivion gates obviously; yes they were largely optional but also had the best loot, so...
  • RedPanda87 30 Mar 2021 08:09:58 2,132 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Skyrim is also my second favourite after Morrowind (though I only briefly played the first two, and Oblivion is bland and broken, so maybe that's not saying much). Still, Skyrim is a great game. I've never considered Bethesda to be a truly top-tier developer, even within RPGs, but no one quite makes games in that mould as well as they do, and Skyrim is the best modern example of that.

Edited by RedPanda87 at 08:10:25 30-03-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Mar 2021 09:03:35 17,132 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Skyrim is my favourite Elder Scrolls/Fallout Bethesda RPG

Nice balance of a gorgeous world and fun quests. Good weighting so it feels like youíre in a living place. Exploration is satisfying. Even the combat is as good as theyíve ever made it.
  • Rogueywon 31 Mar 2021 07:41:39 11,357 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I bought the first of the Kingdom Hearts packs that just came out for PC - contains the first two numbered games, Chain of Memories, Birth by Sleep and the video-adaptation thingy of 365 Days.

At first I thought "oooh, bad port", but having played around with it more, I think it's more that these are still very old PS2 games, to which modern monitors and resolutions are very unkind.
  • SnackPlissken 31 Mar 2021 08:37:04 3,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Finishing up on Brutal Legend. Second playthrough I've really enjoyed it. The RTS mechanics, which I hated years ago have warmed to me. Plus it has a great cast and mostly the music is top tier for the style of game it is. My main gripe is still the boring samey side missions, which I've largely skipped.. funny that we're what 12 years on and we still get these types of open world samey missions.
  • beastmaster 31 Mar 2021 14:32:21 22,052 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Full Deck Solitaire - Vegas rules on my iMac.
  • dfunked09 31 Mar 2021 15:37:05 1,901 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Outriders (kia ora, mate!)

Really enjoyed the demo after first impressions being absolutely awful. I even went back and spent a few fruitless hours farming for legendries. Had a quick blast of the full thing during lunch and it's great so far. Absolutely shredding everybody with trickster's twisted rounds and an extra mag mod that I was using for farming.
  • Nitrous 2 Apr 2021 22:48:23 2,252 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dying light (ps4/5)

Sometimes I'm enjoying this and then I'll fall to my death and want to quit. But no I carry on. I'm about 75% complete in the campaign but my side quest list has grown out of control to the point where I'll probably never do them.

After this I'll finally be ready to try the following DLC but I'm not entirely sure I can be bothered with more fetch quests for random people I couldn't care less about.
  • Nanocrystal 2 Apr 2021 22:50:04 2,386 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Dying Light DLC is great, the vehicle makes it feel fresh.
  • Nitrous 3 Apr 2021 16:49:04 2,252 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    The Dying Light DLC is great, the vehicle makes it feel fresh.
    Just started it this afternoon and I happen to agree. I like the game again!
  • PES_head 4 Apr 2021 05:09:23 25 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Control (Game Pass -Xbox One)

Played a couple of hours, just got the pick up and throw objects ability.

Fun and interesting game so far. Makes me think I should give Quantum Break another go. Previously dropped that at a similar point as I was finding it a bit bland.
  • Malek86 4 Apr 2021 10:15:13 11,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I hated Quantum Break. The combat was too unwieldy (never even understood how to use most of the time powers, so I just played it like a regular cover shooter). The story was bad. And the collectibles were tl;dr.

Control was much better though.

Edited by Malek86 at 10:15:20 04-04-2021
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Apr 2021 10:30:21 26,586 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Going to try and get back to playing one or two games* at most until completion/abandonment. Too much choice does not work for me at all, so on that bombshell I going to stick to 2 story driven games at a time. from the list below.

ME 4 (enjoying, not played for weeks)
    FO 4 (enjoying, not played for weeks, no mods run)
    Control (I really want to like...not played for months)
    Far Cry 3 (completed on 360 when released, fav after FC2)
    Outriders (only just started but enjoying)
    AC Val (it is a bit boring after the two O's)
    WD3 (only a couple of hours in, not grabbed me yet, but love previous 2 games)
    AC Syndicate (completed on other console, but love it)
    AC Odyssey dlc (completed main game)
    Replay Gears 5 campaign with mutators

...or maybe none of the above :)

*I obviously play Gears nightly, that is not changing...ever!
  • Bichii 4 Apr 2021 10:33:21 4,464 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Currently stuck on 2077.

I have disco Elysium, cup head, ff7 remake, abzu, Desperado's 3, Narito boy and more all staring at me to start playing but still loving cyberpunk too much to put down.
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Apr 2021 10:35:45 26,586 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Bichii

Morning young revan.
    I going to wait to play 2077 on either Nextbox or PS5 when I upgrade. I did play the first hour, but decided to get a refund from MS due to all the issues. In saying that I'm just as likely to change my mind and get it on Xbox if it is cheap enough...just like I am ;)
  • Mola_Ram 4 Apr 2021 10:38:37 25,619 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Going to try and get back to playing one or two games* at most until completion/abandonment. Too much choice does not work for me at all, so on that bombshell I going to stick to 2 story driven games at a time. from the list below.

ME 4 (enjoying, not played for weeks)
    FO 4 (enjoying, not played for weeks, no mods run)
    Control (I really want to like...not played for months)
    Far Cry 3 (completed on 360 when released, fav after FC2)
    Outriders (only just started but enjoying)
    AC Val (it is a bit boring after the two O's)
    WD3 (only a couple of hours in, not grabbed me yet, but love previous 2 games)
    AC Syndicate (completed on other console, but love it)
    AC Odyssey dlc (completed main game)
    Replay Gears 5 campaign with mutators

...or maybe none of the above :)

*I obviously play Gears nightly, that is not changing...ever!
    That's... a lot of open world games. I'd go absolutely mental having that many on the go at once!
  • Bichii 4 Apr 2021 10:56:14 4,464 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 wise choice. I loved it on PS4 but I definitely should have waited until now to play it first time. It is so good on the X, for starters it's not a 15-20fps slide show.

Also no way I can have many games like that on at once, I need to focus on one at a time or I lose interest.

Edited by Bichii at 10:57:11 04-04-2021
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Apr 2021 10:57:06 26,586 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Mola_Ram
    Agree mate, I think that is my problem
    :)
  • MrFlay 4 Apr 2021 12:23:29 4,644 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have a list of active games but not quite as long as that.

Currently playing:

Gears 5 campaign - very enjoyable game with some annoying difficult spikes at certain points. I like the new Jack abilities. The AI is still largely useless. I'm not convinced Del actually does any damage most of the time.

Resident Evil 7 - I wasn't sure about the first-person perspective but the atmosphere it creates is similar to Alien Isolation. Not quite as scary but it does increase the immersion over RE2 Remake. The detail in the environment makes the Baker estate feel like a real place. I think the resource gathering and non-Baker cannon fodder enemies really detract from the experience. I find myself min-maxing games whenever resources are scarce or finite and it disrupts the atmosphere of the game when I replay the same section to optimise my use of ammo.

Batman: The Telltale Series - I'm mainly playing this for the predictable achievements for MS Rewards. The story is fairly entertaining and does something different with the Wayne family. The game is extraordinarily buggy without being broken. Sound effects, dialogue and visual effects are frequently missing. It's not unusual for a character model to simple not display. It very much a Telltale game with the typical black & white decisions which feel of little consequence.

Desperados 3 - I enjoyed Shadow Tactics and this is a well made game but it's so damn hard. There's almost zero scope for creativity and it feels like there's only one way through each scenario. I hate that how often abilities are useless because certain enemies will ignore any distractions. I'm not sure I have the patience or time for reloading a single small encounter ten times.

On hold: Destiny 2, AC: Valhalla, Mass Effect Andromeda, Civ 6, Yakuza 0, Divinity: Original Sin

Edited by MrFlay at 12:29:28 04-04-2021
  • Malek86 4 Apr 2021 13:02:08 11,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had a different experience with both Gears 4 and Gears 5. Most of the times it felt like I could have simply stayed behind cover while the CPU did most of the work.
  • dai_bonehead 4 Apr 2021 13:14:10 549 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 just finished control. Itís very average and makes me realise that the Eurogamer review is more about Christian Donlanís fetish for materials and buildings than it is about the game itself.

The core mechanics are very uninvolved. The enemies are boring and the battles lack tension or fun. And the story is garbage. Interesting concept but does not do anything with it.

This is the second remedy game Iíve played (first was quantum break) and I can not see me playing any others.
  • dai_bonehead 4 Apr 2021 13:14:10 549 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • spindle9988 4 Apr 2021 14:12:58 5,217 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iím currently gong through all the yakuza games as I only played the ps2 versions.
    Crazy but fun.
  • Malek86 4 Apr 2021 17:04:08 11,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Got the old Flashback on sale on the Switch, because somehow I never got round to it despite being a big Prince of Persia fan.

It does remind me a lot of PoP, but you can also see more Oddworld parallels and it's not quite as unforgiving as older games (did anyone say Another World?). I guess this was the link between the two series.
  • JoelStinty 4 Apr 2021 17:30:45 9,367 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gucamalee 2

Mostly very good. Great example of a Metroidvania, fun combat and looks and sound great. However relatively early on itís starting to thrown in some super meat boy esq sections which requires precise platforming and some finger gymnastics. I canít remember whether that was part of the first game or not but itís kinda not the game I want. So far I got through through sections ok but I donít want it to get any harder.
  • Malek86 4 Apr 2021 17:36:00 11,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I didn't find a big difference in difficulty between Guacamelee 1 and 2. In fact, I think the first one might have been harder overall. It's just that 2 feels like it was made for people who played the original, so the curve rises earlier.

I wasn't a big fan of the humor either. The first game was a good natured riff on classic movies and games, but for the sequel they relied too heavily on meme culture instead. There are still a few great gags in there but overall it kinda falls flat most of the times.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.