Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 193

• theguy 14 Apr 2021 13:57:11 1,027 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ChaosFox Child of Light really is fantastic. I missed out on it at the time, played it recently and was thoroughly impressed.
    Shame Ubi never did more with it, or the UbiArt engine.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Apr 2021 13:58:48 17,514 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I never did finish Child of Light but I thought Valiant Hearts was incredible
  • JoeBlade 14 Apr 2021 16:40:35 6,036 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Wasn't it Ubi's intent to support more of these indie-style games? I seem to remember they wanted to devote an entire sub section of their publishing branch to it at one point.

Can't recall much (any?) similar output since the CoL/VH period.
  • Kilters 15 Apr 2021 14:30:49 648 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Detroit: Become Human

Aside from the worst name for a game ever, I find myself quite enjoying it. It looks great, story is well told so far and I think I'm seeing the consequences of my actions.

My main beef is the arbitrary button presses. QTE's are generally done well but it just kind of ruins the atmosphere being built when you bollix up a button press and your character just freezes.

Hopefully won't stay beyond it's welcome.
  • Ultrasoundwave 15 Apr 2021 17:50:26 6,364 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got a lot on the go at the moment :

Outriders
    Playing through game pass, which this is a perfect game for. Pick up and play, run and gun, loot a new gun, move on. Enjoying it.

Days Gone
    Reinstalled on PS5 to have a look at the update, finished it late last year but might go for the Platinum, havenít decided yet. LOVE the new challenge modes though, loads of arcadey fun!

FM2021
    Another game pass gem, playing on Series X with a mouse & keyboard - feels like the series has evolved in some ways but gone backwards in others, still more addictive than crack though....
  • PES_head 16 Apr 2021 14:06:39 26 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Halo: Reach - Game Pass (Xbox One)

Easily the best Halo campaign for me. Simple, uncomplicated story, focused, fighting Elites and minimal repetition in the level design. Lots of fun and a really engaging narrative and world.
  • Graxlar_v3 16 Apr 2021 20:29:57 10,952 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    theguy wrote:
    @ChaosFox Child of Light really is fantastic. I missed out on it at the time, played it recently and was thoroughly impressed.
    Shame Ubi never did more with it, or the UbiArt engine.
    Counter point: child of light is very very pretty but itís gameplay is some of the worst I have encountered. When people ask what game I finished but regretted all but the first half hour, itís child of light.
  • Reacher 16 Apr 2021 21:41:59 3,087 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Kilters I adored Detroit. It was GOTY
  • Rum_Monkey 16 Apr 2021 22:53:20 2,690 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Replaying Alien Isolation while I wait for something to get sent from my rental list.

I forgot how fucking scary it actually is. I've just got to the point of where you actually first see the Alien before it even starts chasing and I was shitting myself.

Still looks good aside from a few jaggies.
  • Rodney 16 Apr 2021 23:53:14 4,973 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bounced off a few things recently, and went back to Weeckfest which I stopped playing about a year ago.

Itís such a fun game and smashing stuff is a good stress reliever.
  • StixxUK 17 Apr 2021 07:22:54 8,641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Jedi fallen order, it's pretty good, although nowhere near as well-tuned as a proper souls game, I do feel as though the combat encourages patience which is a bit jedi-like. It's also a bit frustrating with placement of save points, I've had to take on bosses multiple times in a few cases.
  • theguy 20 Apr 2021 17:06:07 1,027 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Wasn't it Ubi's intent to support more of these indie-style games? I seem to remember they wanted to devote an entire sub section of their publishing branch to it at one point.
    Can't recall much (any?) similar output since the CoL/VH period.
    I think the Ubi focus is just AAA these days. Even the likes of Rayman got tossed to the side and both Origins and Legends were very well received. At some point they must have just stopped caring about smaller titles.

Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Counter point: child of light is very very pretty but itís gameplay is some of the worst I have encountered. When people ask what game I finished but regretted all but the first half hour, itís child of light.
    Some of the worst? That's interesting tbh. I can get not liking the game, or thinking it's boring, but I don't really see how it's the worst anything. Mechanically it's sound.
  • Cadence 20 Apr 2021 17:29:18 2,577 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Still playing RDR2. The game just goes on and on doesn't it! Fantastic story though even though I struggle against the janky controls at times.
  • Graxlar_v3 20 Apr 2021 18:44:40 10,952 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @theguy sorry, I mean it was so boring that is actively made me hate everything about it.
  • Humperfunk 20 Apr 2021 19:10:12 8,557 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just hit hour 20 in Yakuza 4. Trying to finish it before Nier on Friday and will have to drop it if not (Nier is one of my all time favourite games and I am moist at the thought of playing the remake on my PS5), but that's no bother as Yakuza games I find relatively easy to pick up again.

Truly a tremendous series and now considering this is the fifth I've played, comfortably able to put it in amongst my favourite series. Got 5, 6 and 7 ready to go when I find the time!
  • theguy 21 Apr 2021 21:14:02 1,027 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 lol, that makes more sense. Fair enough, different folks different strokes
  • Mola_Ram 22 Apr 2021 01:43:16 25,715 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm playing Middle Earth: Shadow of W-

RANGER! I feel the FIRE, and it is burning me ever so much that it affects everything about me! It BURNS, it BUUUUUUUURNS with hatred... for you! Come at me!

So anyway, I'm playing Middle E-

HOLD X TO DO A GLAIVE ATTACK, PRESS X+A TO DO A THING AT MAX FURY LEVEL

As I was saying, I'm pl-

RANGER! Remember me? You killed me a while ago, but I'm back! And I'm BURNING with so much revenge that I just can't keep it to one paragraph. Why, this reminds me of that time at the Black Gate when I KILLED your WIFE and f-

Oh my god will you SHUT. UP. STOP TALKING TO ME.

*cough*

Anyway, there is a good game in here. But like a lot of second or third installments of series, the systems become so piled up and dense that playing it starts to feel like a job.

And the little WWE introductions that the orc captains get have always been a neat idea, but they're so common that they get really irritating. Some of the taunts are 30+ seconds long, and they do them Every. Time. They. See. You. And again if you get killed.

Just let me play your game, damnit! It's a fun game!
  • Pipedream 22 Apr 2021 11:32:36 637 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can't stop playing Monster Hunter Rise.

I'm going to bed thinking about what weapon to try next or what armour to farm. I haven't been this in love with a game for years.
  • Malek86 22 Apr 2021 11:58:39 11,985 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Mola_Ram I liked Shadow of War, but it did feel unnecessarily bloated at times. Still, the map was way better than in Shadow of Mordor, and the gameplay was generally a bit more varied. And getting chased around by several high level captains was always exciting.

Still don't know what Monolith is working on at the moment. They are my favourite devs studio, so this almost 4 years long silence is killing me. Shogo 2 please?

Edited by Malek86 at 11:59:19 22-04-2021
  • Mola_Ram 22 Apr 2021 12:02:29 25,715 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was shitty of them to basically block other developers from using the Nemesis system. It's a really cool idea that I'd like to see more of, but that doesn't seem possible unless Monolith themselves decide to do something.

And it's more than a bit hypocritical, given how much of their combat system was lifted from the Arkham games.
  • Humperfunk 22 Apr 2021 18:51:50 8,557 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Just hit hour 20 in Yakuza 4. Trying to finish it before Nier on Friday and will have to drop it if not (Nier is one of my all time favourite games and I am moist at the thought of playing the remake on my PS5), but that's no bother as Yakuza games I find relatively easy to pick up again.

Truly a tremendous series and now considering this is the fifth I've played, comfortably able to put it in amongst my favourite series. Got 5, 6 and 7 ready to go when I find the time!
    Off out now and managed to finish with all the side stuff I wanted done just in time! What a game, and what a series!
  • JoeBlade 22 Apr 2021 19:20:47 6,036 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It was shitty of them to basically block other developers from using the Nemesis system.
    That was the publisher (WB) though, not the dev?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Apr 2021 19:38:09 17,514 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Getting properly into Disco Elysium now. Not far in but digging the grungy grimy vibe and love the conflicting inner voices mechanic. I said in the thread for it that it reminds me of 90s Vertigo Comics or some 2000ad stuff so its right up my street.

It did take a moment to get used to the controls being point and click rather than cRPG like Pillars or Divinity.

And for quick hits during work breaks Iím back on Tony Hawks 1 & 2. Patching in the ability to redo all the challenges with each skater has really opened things up again.
  • Malek86 22 Apr 2021 19:46:05 11,985 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Mola_Ram I don't know how much decision power Monolith has over these things now that they are part of Warner Bros Interactive. I guess the parent company is the one calling all the shots.

Though that also explains why the combat system was lifted wholesale from the Arkham games. I guess WBI studios must be able to exchange techs, but not take them outside of their circle.

Edited by Malek86 at 19:51:22 22-04-2021
  • Mola_Ram 22 Apr 2021 22:10:22 25,715 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah yeah, it was the publisher. It's shitty either way, though. :)
  • jonathanlealand 24 Apr 2021 13:49:11 169 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @theguy I liked COL but found the rhyming in every line of dialogue really grating.

Edited by jonathanlealand at 13:49:25 24-04-2021
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Apr 2021 18:21:32 26,679 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    For my Single player campaign game(s) I'm juggling a few but Far Cry 3 remaster on xb1 is getting the most of my attention.
    I always liked 3 and it feels good to be back. It is a shame the co-op mission s have been axed though. I might even jump into 4 after, last played that n release on 360.
  • Cadence 25 Apr 2021 15:22:37 2,577 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 It's probably worth replaying FC4 on a newer system too as from what I remember the framerate was a bit ropey on the 360.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.