Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 195

• simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Apr 2021 08:23:20 17,513 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Schlocky c-grade sci-fi melodrama I assume
  • Mola_Ram 29 Apr 2021 08:41:22 25,715 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think that, like many open world RPGish games for me, HZD suffered from Witcher 3 existing. Maybe the quest writing isn't terrible in an objective sense, but I guess my expectations for it were a bit higher after 2015. Maybe unreasonably so?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Apr 2021 08:48:23 17,513 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iím just coming off the back of Spider-Man and thats the most fun Iíve had with an open world since GTA5 came out so the bar is pretty high here too
  • creepiest-lizard 29 Apr 2021 08:48:24 2,414 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The writing itself for the dialogue was nowhere near The Witcher level but it was adequate enough. For me, it was the overarching story that was pretty fun. It made sense, more or less, and wa pretty epic. A bit of hope for humanity and robot Satan.
  • SnackPlissken 29 Apr 2021 08:49:07 3,199 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The main pull for me with HZD was the backstory as to how/why it all became like it is. I think they did a pretty decent job explaining it.
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2021 08:50:27 86,400 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It is kind of witcher but sci-fi so, yeah, if you really dug that I can see how it would suffer because the story is set in stone and nothing you do can really change the outcome.

FWIW, I know its a bit heretical but I did prefer HZD to Witcher 3. I thought the story was better, the game had 1000% less jank and the robosaurs were more interesting than the monsters. YMMV and all that. Im a massive sci-fi fan and I think this is a sci-fi story really well told.
  • Tomo 29 Apr 2021 08:53:00 19,305 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Iím all for a story driven action game but donít really have much patience for open world faff and icon spammed collectathon maps. Iíll give it a shot.
    Yeah same. I've pretty much decided in going to ignore side quests in this otherwise I know I'll burn out.
  • SnackPlissken 29 Apr 2021 09:00:43 3,199 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Think HZD is pretty lite compared to Witcher 3 which I prefer. I dropped Witcher 3 because I largely couldn't be arsed to travel across the map to engage in a lengthy discussion about some bollocks, when all I want to do is chop some people up.
  • Mola_Ram 29 Apr 2021 09:05:59 25,715 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It is kind of witcher but sci-fi so, yeah, if you really dug that I can see how it would suffer because the story is set in stone and nothing you do can really change the outcome.

FWIW, I know its a bit heretical but I did prefer HZD to Witcher 3. I thought the story was better, the game had 1000% less jank and the robosaurs were more interesting than the monsters. YMMV and all that. Im a massive sci-fi fan and I think this is a sci-fi story really well told.
    Yeah I don't really care about sci-fi that much, so maybe I was less disposed to be drawn to it.

It's a shame that the story/writing aspect of it left me so cold, though, because it really was an absolutely stunning looking game. And I (mostly) loved the combat. It was just the talking bits I didn't get on with.
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Apr 2021 09:15:16 26,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Interrupting RE3 and FC3 to play Destroy all humans via gamepass. never played the original, good fun and not too taxing.

I'm so glad I have hundreds of pounds of Xbox to play remakes/remasters :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Apr 2021 09:17:45 40,526 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I came to HZD directly from Zelda, and that didnít do it any favors, I guess. I abandoned it after maybe a dozen hours or so. Maybe I should give it another try.
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Apr 2021 09:32:05 26,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @UncleLou
    You really should mate. HZD is one of the best ps4 games.
  • Bichii 29 Apr 2021 09:48:37 4,529 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I came to HZD directly from Zelda, and that didnít do it any favors, I guess. I abandoned it after maybe a dozen hours or so. Maybe I should give it another try.
    Same but I ploughed through and completed it. Pretty basic coming straight from Zelda. One of the weaker PS4 exclusives.
  • creepiest-lizard 29 Apr 2021 09:53:14 2,414 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nah.
  • Daeltaja 29 Apr 2021 10:52:20 2,027 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I had the same experience. Started HZD fresh last year and loved it. The combat in particular is exceptional.
  • SnackPlissken 29 Apr 2021 11:27:26 3,199 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pretty basic coming from Zelda? Wha. I mean I'm a massive BotW fan but even the combat in Zelda is pretty.. basic. My head hurts.
  • spookyxelectric 29 Apr 2021 14:56:03 408 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Combat in HZD is Tomb Raider with some wonky sword slashing tossed in. With Zelda, you at least get a lock on, the slow motion dodge, plus the variety of gadgets and weapons Link acquires. Horizon's in comparison is very basic, yes. But not just the combat, everything. The traversal is this vast, gorgeous open world, but it does the Uncharted thing where you can only climb things with yellow ropes tied to them. And forget Breath of the Wild's brilliant use of physics. So yes, the game is very basic coming from BotW.

I had the same experience, where I came directly after BotW and played maybe 10 hours before I just dropped it. Moved onto NieR Automata and loved that experience entirely.

I've tried to go back multiple times over the years, but it's never held my interest for longer than an hour. It sure is gorgeous though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Apr 2021 23:52:07 17,513 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think Iím done with HZD

Put a bit more time in this evening and none of the gameplay is doing it for me. Plus I really hate the look and sound of the detective vision.

It does look pretty and Iím sure its grand if triple A open worlds are your thing but Iím not enjoying it.

And putting any sound through the speaker in the controller should be banned.
  • DangerousDave_87 30 Apr 2021 23:20:17 6,969 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I couldn't get on with Horizon for all the same reasons. It's very pretty, and I quite like the bow, but the rest of it just isnt very engaging. I thought hunting the larger enemies would be fun, but it became a chore quite quickly. I think I managed about 15 hours?
  • Malek86 1 May 2021 07:14:59 11,985 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm playing Mega Race, got it years ago in a GOG sale.

I was pretty surprised to see subtitles in a FMV game from 1993. Accessibility during those days was usually not in anyone's mind.
  • wuntyate 1 May 2021 11:07:33 16,987 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jumping between about 50 games as usual but was reminded last week that I hadn't tried Prey: Mooncrash yet so installed it on a whim before losing hours to it. Had forgotten how much I loved the main game and this is bloody excellent.

Also reinstalled resident evil 7 to get me in the mood for next week. Don't think I'd done the banned footage before, pretty decent and I'm reminded of how visually impressive 7 is.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 May 2021 18:17:24 26,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @wuntyate
    Funny, you mentioning Prey. I downloaded again yesterday. My last save was in 2017! with only 3 hours played. Thinking of starting again but in "story mode" I want to enjoy without getting struck /pissed off.

Just sacked off:
    Destroy All Humans, last fight, stage 3
    Far Cry 3, last mission/escape.

I just can't be bothered at all, I know I can get past with repeated tries,
  • Nitrous 1 May 2021 22:44:27 2,259 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4/5)

Playing in Immersive mode and I'm honestly not sure if I'm enjoying it. Playing lone wolf is possible until shit hits the fan and you die so you let the A.I team help and they get torn apart unless you micromanage what they do.

Side missions are seemingly awful and one I did today had me going from one random location to another to drag it out unnecessarily. It doesn't help that the map is huge but feels lifeless and while it tries to get you involved with the dialogue choices they ultimately have no meaning to the overall story from what I can tell.

The U.I is also a bit of a mess especially with the missions and if you investigate anything to do with an objective it won't progress it until you read or look at the intel somewhere in the menu system.

Positive thoughts... Sync shots work a treat and the general shooting is good.
  • Malek86 2 May 2021 10:07:07 11,985 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Started Pirates! It works pretty well as long as you disable the Steam overlay.

It feels very Sim-ish, to the point that I almost confused it for an EA game.
  • Baihu1983 2 May 2021 17:37:44 13,809 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gone back and started a new game of State of Decay 2.

The devs have supported this game brilliantly
  • wuntyate 2 May 2021 21:51:10 16,987 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @wuntyate
    Funny, you mentioning Prey. I downloaded again yesterday. My last save was in 2017! with only 3 hours played. Thinking of starting again but in "story mode" I want to enjoy without getting struck /pissed off.

Just sacked off:
    Destroy All Humans, last fight, stage 3
    Far Cry 3, last mission/escape.

I just can't be bothered at all, I know I can get past with repeated tries,
    It's a brilliant game. I can't honestly believe I never bothered with mooncrash before now. It's sublime. I love the whole art style they have with this game. Arkane are one of my favourite devs and this reminds me why.

Cannot wait for Deathloop. It's probably my most anticipated game apart from Elden Ring.

Edited by wuntyate at 21:51:19 02-05-2021
  • PickledShogun 5 May 2021 12:06:16 32 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Conan Exiles (PC - single player)
    Love this game and can lose myself for hours at a time, even though it is janky in places. Picked up the Isle of Siptah expansion.

Batman: Arkham City (Xbox 360)
    It's been sat on my shelf for an age but after watching the Nolan Batman trilogy I was inspired to fire the game up. It doesn't feel as tight as Asylum, but it's till very good.

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint (Series S)
    I play this with a friend a couple of times a week for a few hours at a time. While the inventory system is a little convoluted I think it's a blast. The update to the night-time hours (where it's actually properly dark as opposed to continually dusk) is also a welcome addition.

God of War (Pro)
    This is my second stab at this game. Didn't click first time, but thought I'd give it another go. Turning off the hub (expect for Kratos's health bar in combat), has definitely added another level of immersion and I have progressed beyond the last time I played it. It's a lovely looking title and the story isn't too bad. Am I enjoying it more this time? Yeah I'd say so, but I still don't think it's the mighty title many have it down as. If I were to score it out of 10 then it would be a 7.5

Edited by PickledShogun at 14:24:02 05-05-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.