Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 197

• Bichii 18 May 2021 10:35:13 4,639 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Final fantasy 7 remake..

It's okay so far. Maybe two hours in and the voice acting is so bad I've changed it to Japanese. The writing is woeful as well. Not sure I'll carry on much more if it doesn't improve.
  • Nanocrystal 18 May 2021 11:00:55 2,520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oof, terrible hot take.
  • wuntyate 18 May 2021 11:12:02 17,361 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm pissing about with game pass stuff.

Randomly started Mass Effect Andromeda and lost a few hours to it over the weekend. I quite like it although I've never played any of the other ME games.

Code Vein - It's so far so as I expected (I played both demos a few times before release). Not a big fan of the art style and something doesn't click with the combat but I'll see, as it's not too shabby.

Outriders - Better fun than expected but after 2 hours or so I'm pretty bored so don't think I'll continue.

Star Wars Squadrons - Don't think I can be arsed to be honest.

Also doing Evil Within 2 on the PS5 which is awesome as well but (and this is the same problem I had with RE Village) it's hard to play something like this during the summer months, so I think I'll shelve it til Autumn, as much as I love it.

So I think I'll probably bounce between ME: Andromeda and Code Vein for a bit.
  • hillbilly66 18 May 2021 11:51:30 3,466 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Into the breach on PC. Really elegant strategy game.

Shit at it mind.

Edited by hillbilly66 at 11:52:15 18-05-2021
  • Pipedream 18 May 2021 12:47:15 656 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mainly Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic on the iPad.

I never played the original so I donít have nostalgia for the series but this is fantastic. You can tell a lot of passion went into this all those years ago.
  • Graxlar_v3 18 May 2021 13:03:08 11,224 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @wuntyate I finished code vein last week and completely agree with the combat comment. There was a delay in there that meant nuanced actions required the ability to see in the future and made parrying useless. In the end I brute forced my way through most of it with liberal amounts of rolling. The story was fine, it has a nice Ďtwistí if you are fans of god eater but I missed out on the true ending as I didnít find one item before I did a boss about 40% of the way through the story with no foreshadowing that it was going to cause issues so that can get fucked.
  • Kilters 18 May 2021 13:05:24 655 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Subnautica Below Zero

8 hours in. Taking my time. Fantastic so far.

Still has the atmosphere of the original. Shitting myself constantly as I decided to play on Hardcore which essentially means it's back to the start if I die.

Edited by Kilters at 13:57:52 18-05-2021
  • Rogueywon 18 May 2021 14:01:23 12,244 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Code Vein's ok. It's pretty low budget as Soulslikes go and the combat has a lack of "weight" to it, but there are some pretty interesting systems. Its approach to gear and classes is unique, I enjoyed the way switching classes could make the game feel completely different and it has probably the best magic system of any Soulslike. Weak spots include the level design and some balance issues (with backstabs in particular being massively OP).

And yeah, the true end requirements are a bit harsh if you don't know them in advance (and trivial if you do).
  • wuntyate 18 May 2021 14:11:20 17,361 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon Yeah I kind of suspected as much to be honest which is probably why I was never in a rush to get it. Bit of a souls-like drought just now though so I'll take what I can get.

Edited by wuntyate at 14:11:30 18-05-2021
  • Vortex808 18 May 2021 14:26:09 15,495 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:

Star Wars Squadrons - Don't think I can be arsed to be honest.

I think this was very much the general consensus. There was something 'off' about the controls imo.

Edited by Vortex808 at 14:26:36 18-05-2021
  • wuntyate 18 May 2021 14:35:08 17,361 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Vortex808 Yeah. It just felt very meh and I think that the over-saturation of Star Wars over the past few years hasn't helped. 15 years ago I would have lapped it up but it's now just more Star Wars and I don't actually think I can stand looking at anything Star Warsy any more. I'm bored out my tits with it.
  • Rogueywon 18 May 2021 14:37:11 12,244 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Squadrons just made me want a proper new X-Wing/TIE Fighter games. It had enough nods to the old titles to make me pine for them, while being inferior to them in every respect bar visuals. The story also had that "tone" problem that's niggled at me about every piece of Star Wars since the Disney acquisition, but which I struggle to put my finger on. There's just something not quite right about the blend of popcorn and po-faced.
  • wuntyate 18 May 2021 14:57:09 17,361 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 ah that sounds a bit shit. Yeah I'll see if I can keep going but I do have the inkling that I might sack it off.
  • Graxlar_v3 18 May 2021 15:35:58 11,224 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @wuntyate you could/should just play dark souls/bloodborne again 🤣🤣🤣
  • wuntyate 18 May 2021 15:36:26 17,361 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 I would but I went through them all a few months ago!
  • SnackPlissken 19 May 2021 10:15:53 3,458 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Played an hour of The Medium. Getting vibes of Eternal Darkness, crossed with Silent Hill. I've read some opinions that its boring and slow.. but to me that is right up my street.
  • dfunked09 19 May 2021 10:31:54 2,244 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    RE Village - really didn't click for the first few hours (I found the beginning particularly overwhelming). It just keeps getting better and better though. Nearing the end now I think (just met Chris in the factory) and really don't want it to end. Could've easily carried on into the early hours last night!

Destiny 2 - couldn't even be bothered logging on after reset this week. I have a feeling this will be a "solstice and forget about it" kind of season from looking at the roadmap...
  • Killerbee 20 May 2021 09:31:10 5,231 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    Properly into God of War now.

Playing it on the PS5 and it really does look and play brilliantly.

Iíve had it on my ďmust playĒ pile for ages, but Iím sort of glad I delayed so I could experience it like this instead of my vanilla PS4 (complete with fan noise, etc).

Very much enjoying the exploration and combat, and of course the interplay between Kratos and the Boy.

The only bit that feels a little overwhelming is the whole crafting, upgrading, rune socketing thing theyíve got going on with Kratosí and the Boyís gear. I feel like there have been a lot of tutorials in pretty quick succession and while everything is clear and nicely laid out, and Iím not averse to a bit of RPG-Lite stuff, Iím not sure I choose to play God of War for the micro-management of gear and abilities. Maybe itíll fall into place (or into the background) soon enough.

Anyway, the rest of the game more than resolves and lingering concerns.

Top stuff.
  • wuntyate 20 May 2021 09:47:32 17,361 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Killerbee Your latter assumption is what happened to me so don't worry. I was overwhelmed by it all early on but very soon didn't really notice any of it. I only changed my stuff around a handful of times and most of it I ignored.
  • Gibroon 20 May 2021 09:56:44 2,653 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Killerbee

I'm currently playing this on hard. The first section before getting to the shop keeper is especially brutal. Gets a bit easier from there but is some really difficult bits, thankfully the checkpoints are numerous. The controls though do get a bit of getting used to, there are so many buttons to press when shit goes down it can be a bit overwhelming.

It will be interesting to see what they do for the next game as I do find some of the level design and gimpness of Kratos when it comes to traversing the world a bit jarring. Kratos can move a several ton bit of stone when he feels like it but a 8 foot climb up a rock face is a bit tricky unless covered in runes.

Having said all that, the combat is great and it looks fantastic.
  • Killerbee 20 May 2021 10:18:38 5,231 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    @Gibroon

Yes, Iíve just met the second shopkeeper chap and upgraded my health once, so I do feel a little more confident in fights now (playing on Normal difficulty). Iím ok with the basics and the Rage special, but itís the side abilities I keep forgetting.

I think Iíve got a rune that lets me heal if I press something like R1 and circle (?), but Iím buggered if I can remember that in the midst of combat! I also need to remember to take advantage of the freeze effect of leaving the axe embedded in an enemyÖ

Itís never less than enjoyable though. Even the basic axe throwing and retrieving is immensely satisfying.
  • nickthegun 20 May 2021 10:26:32 87,508 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dont worry too much about the crafting. Higher numbers are better, the special effects dont really do that much and so on. The best armour is only really available late on and by then you will be used to everything, so just plug anything in that makes your stats go green.

And, yes, agreed about the movement. I can only assume it was to mask loading or something because it is a little galling to watch someone who jumps off a dragon have to laboriously climb six feet down a chain.
  • PickledShogun 20 May 2021 14:39:24 219 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    AC Valhalla (Pro)

While I've only just reached England, Valhalla is as enjoyable as both Origins and Odyssey, however, it's proven to be quite glitchy so far. Momentary freezing during in-game loading between areas, lip-syncing issues and visual glitching during cut scenes, NPCs walking into walls, delays in objects breaking when struck with my weapon and other such niggles. Nothing that completely detracts from the overall experience of course, but still very noticeable and annoying. I'm going to put it on the back burner for the time being until it's been tidied up with a few updates.

Gran Turismo 6 (PS3)

With Valhalla being the last new game that I'll be buying for a while it was time to dive into my back catalogue of unplayed games. GT 6 is one such game from said catalogue and I've been having a great time with it so far. Not only does GT 6 look and run great it feels, well, complete. There's also something deliciously old school about the game.

Edited by PickledShogun at 14:42:15 20-05-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 May 2021 15:26:06 19,679 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Disco Elysium

Put it on hold while I played RE8 but back into it now. Brilliant game, not really like anything else.

Resident Evil 1 Remake

Still as spooky as ever, some real creepy tension and it still holds up looks wise.

Subnautica

Picked up in the Play At Home giveaway. So far Iíve made no real progress but its nice to have a more ambient game to tootle about in alongside the other darker games. Playing with the food survival mechanics turned off because Iíve no real patience for that sort of thing.
  • SnackPlissken 20 May 2021 15:52:08 3,458 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gibroon wrote:
    @Killerbee

I'm currently playing this on hard. The first section before getting to the shop keeper is especially brutal. Gets a bit easier from there but is some really difficult bits, thankfully the checkpoints are numerous. The controls though do get a bit of getting used to, there are so many buttons to press when shit goes down it can be a bit overwhelming.

It will be interesting to see what they do for the next game as I do find some of the level design and gimpness of Kratos when it comes to traversing the world a bit jarring. Kratos can move a several ton bit of stone when he feels like it but a 8 foot climb up a rock face is a bit tricky unless covered in runes.

Having said all that, the combat is great and it looks fantastic.
    Enjoy killing Sigrun on hard.
  • Rhaegyr 20 May 2021 15:56:58 5,494 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nier: Automata

Does the combat get more nuanced? I'm about 5 hours in and have a couple of weapons but as a huge Platinum fan I'm slightly disappointed at how 'simple' the combat seems to be.

The story seems absolutely batshit which is a plus.
  • Rogueywon 20 May 2021 16:19:40 12,244 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rhaegyr The combat's not got the depth of Bayonetta or other Platinum titles. This is fundamentally an RPG with an action-based combat system, not an action game with RPG elements.

That said, there are some points later in the game where the combat changes a lot. It doesn't get deeper, as such, just different. Several times.
  • Gibroon 20 May 2021 16:22:38 2,653 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @SnackPlissken

I will probably give it a miss tbh, haha. It was more just to see what it was like.
  • PickledShogun 21 May 2021 21:01:20 219 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Took a chance on an indie title called Hedon. A blend of Hexen and Quake sporting nice, colourful visuals with meaty weapons and lots of puzzles in a maze of twisting corridors and rooms- and it's great.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.