Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 198

• theguy 22 May 2021 14:41:13 1,033 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spiritfarer

Been looking forward to playing this for a while. I like the general gameplay, though some of the busy work can feel a bit much when you have to manually feed every member every single day.

It's the writing where it's faltering with me though. Feels like it's written by teenage girls, for teenage girls. I've got 5 people on my ship so far, only one male who's a happy go lucky Uncle that eats anything.
    The rest tell me about their Swedish romantic novels, that Chad and his friends are "douchebags" and Giovanni has a cute butt.

Not for me. Hope it gets better.
  • Darth_Flibble 22 May 2021 14:44:23 5,311 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    theguy wrote:
    Spiritfarer

Been looking forward to playing this for a while. I like the general gameplay, though some of the busy work can feel a bit much when you have to manually feed every member every single day.

Not for me. Hope it gets better.
    It doesn't. Its a constant grind and fetch quest as the idiots on the boat moan they are hungry
  • Tomo 22 May 2021 14:45:46 19,371 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    0_0

If you don't like the writing, just quit now. The gameplay is rudimentary at best.
  • theguy 22 May 2021 14:55:26 1,033 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well shit, there goes my hope of some sort of kitchen upgrade where they'd just feed themselves. Stupid piece of game design that. I guess they never complain too much, maybe I'll just stop feeding them.

I'll stick with it though, I rarely abandon games honestly. I think the last one I did was Watch Dogs, and only then because it bugged out and I couldn't use any gadgets or weapons anymore.
    I don't hate all the writing, a lot of it is poor however.

I suppose I'm just let down really, because there's a lot I do actually like about the game. It could have been something I really enjoyed.

Edited by theguy at 15:52:22 22-05-2021
  • Nanocrystal 22 May 2021 23:08:36 2,473 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    theguy wrote:
    It's the writing where it's faltering with me though. Feels like it's written by teenage girls, for teenage girls.

Not for me.
    Username checks out.
  • Zippity-zap 22 May 2021 23:36:21 646 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Continuing to revert back to my arcade roots. I have shelved (not abandoned) Monster Hunter Rise. Itís a beautifully presented game, and I hope it hooks me properly in the future. I just get a bit overwhelmed by crafting and collecting these days.

But for now, I remain entirely addicted to Synthetik Ultimate, and I am getting really good at it. Extremely satisfying game that I can play over and over.

Another new cracker of an indie gem I am playing is Rising Hell. Itís a cheap and really well designed vertical platforming arcade game. Highly recommended for arcade game fans, with one of the best soundtracks, too.
  • Malek86 23 May 2021 16:13:24 12,088 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just started Shadow Man Remastered. The new lighting ad textures do look nice enough, but what really makes the difference is the subtle quality of life improvements - things like being able to kill enemies as soon as they stagger, or duppies having less health, or the cadeaux counter for each stage. Ultrawide sure looks good too.

I see there are 666 cadeaux now, guess maxing out my life won't be as hard this time.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 May 2021 00:32:18 18,205 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ratchet & Clank

The PS4 one they gave away free a little while back. Had it sat waiting to be started for ages so gave it a shot this evening. Looks pretty, fun cartoony characters, but controls pretty horribly. Is this a reskin if a PS2 game? It feels like a PS2 game.

Will stick with it for now
  • myiagros 24 May 2021 00:59:29 1,490 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Ratchet & Clank

The PS4 one they gave away free a little while back. Had it sat waiting to be started for ages so gave it a shot this evening. Looks pretty, fun cartoony characters, but controls pretty horribly. Is this a reskin if a PS2 game? It feels like a PS2 game.

Will stick with it for now
    It's a remake, but a generally pretty close one. Although the main upgrade, with the exception of the visuals is the control scheme. The PS2 version is so much more horrible in that regard.
  • Killerbee 24 May 2021 08:25:19 5,178 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Subnautica (PS5)

I seem to be having a bit of a spell of playing underwater games at the moment, having only just finished Abzu.

Anyway, I generally have little idea what Iím doing in this, but itís utterly compelling and addictive. Hours just seem to fly by playing it.

While itís not entirely clear where all this is headed, the moment by moment play is driven by crafting and upgrades, and specifically the hunt for materials to make said upgrades - and scan bits of wreckage to find new thing to make.

Iíve so far upgraded my O2 tank, got a scanner, repair tool, knife and a radiation suit, each of which nicely opens up the ability to explore just that bit further from my (recently fixed up) escape pod. I know enough to understand that base building is on the cards, but it feels like a long way off before I might get to thatÖ or maybe not!

It looks pretty - especially at night when things glow with bioluminescence, or when that vast red moon passes overhead, though I donít know how much of a difference the recent PS5 upgrade has made.

Anyway, very much liking it so far. Definitely recommended if you picked this up from Sonyís Play at Home deal and havenít given it a try yet.
  • Gibroon 24 May 2021 10:05:58 2,633 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

Have you changed the control scheme to more traditional fps mode? The default is 3rd person movement thing.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 May 2021 10:08:58 18,205 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Gibroon I didnít, will give it a shot at lunchtime. As much as I enjoyed a Spyro etc back then this isnít super smooth after playing proper modern games
  • PierrePressure 24 May 2021 10:18:25 1,439 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Just started Shadow Man Remastered. The new lighting ad textures do look nice enough, but what really makes the difference is the subtle quality of life improvements - things like being able to kill enemies as soon as they stagger, or duppies having less health, or the cadeaux counter for each stage. Ultrawide sure looks good too.

I see there are 666 cadeaux now, guess maxing out my life won't be as hard this time.
    Is this still only PC at the moment? I loved the original and I played it through on the playstation which was a buggy mess.
  • Malek86 24 May 2021 12:04:12 12,088 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @PierrePressure PC only so far, coming out on consoles soon. I actually intended to wait for the console release, but that Epic Store coupon was a pretty convincing argument.

That said, I'm starting to find a few niggles. Biggest issue for me is that the new controls don't allow you to play entirely with the keyboard, because swimming now requires the mouse.

Also, I'm guessing the restored content had been cut for a reason... the first new boss was pretty bad.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:07:03 24-05-2021
  • Malek86 25 May 2021 08:03:21 12,088 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Going through Super Hot Mind Control Delete. Even with the new gimmicks introduced in each node, playing the same handful of levels all the time gets quite repetitive. I just unlocked the ninja enemy, how much longer to go?

Maybe I should drop it now.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Jun 2021 14:46:31 18,205 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    More currently downloading than playing at the moment but Star Wars Squadrons is one of Juneís PS+ freebies so Iíll give that a spin this evening
  • Darth_Flibble 1 Jun 2021 17:54:08 5,311 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Saints row the third remastered

An actual remaster with redone character heads and texture on them and also the city has been improved, lighting and textures. They could of just uprezzed it like most companies do and it gets called remaster (or HDremakeREMASTER by the crayon eaters) ;)

The game is still good fun
  • spookyxelectric 1 Jun 2021 18:28:49 532 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, I'm kind of surprised at how much work went into the remasters.

Also, if you purchased it on PS4 or Xbox One, the PS5 and Series X upgrades have been available for the past week or so. Free, too.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Jun 2021 18:31:53 18,205 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Saints Row 3 was an absolute blast
  • JoeBlade 1 Jun 2021 19:48:36 6,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    That game was sublime.
  • DangerousDave_87 1 Jun 2021 22:18:16 7,006 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm playing Warzone for the first time this week. It's one of the ugliest games I've played in a long time. Also, the map is very flat and boxy(?)

It's alright, but I actually think I prefer Fortnite.
  • DUFFMAN5 2 Jun 2021 07:22:11 26,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    SR2 is still the absolute stand out for me, (and ranks only behind Vice City as my fave SR/GTA) would have loved a full remaster of that including its multiplayer. I hope 5 returns to that style of game.
  • Humperfunk 2 Jun 2021 09:58:03 8,586 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah SR3 is so much fun, but would love a remaster of 2. One of my favourite open world games ever.
  • Derblington 2 Jun 2021 10:08:17 35,010 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I started the SR3 remaster recently and it's really clunky. It works, but it's very dated.

Edited by Derblington at 10:08:38 02-06-2021
  • JoeBlade 2 Jun 2021 10:09:32 6,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    For me it's a toss up between 3 and 4 actually. I can see how 4 has faults but it also performed the best out of the bunch. And I liked the superpowers.
    SR3 is plain old maniacal, bonkers open world fun.

SR2, I can see how that could be a great game and I actually own it but it's nigh on unplayable with KB+M.
    And no, I can't stand gamepads.
    And no, don't give me the '3rd person games are best played with pads' BS, I've played plenty just fine with KB+M (the Batman games, the Tomb Raider games, Shadow of Mordor, ...) It's really down to SR2 just being shite with KB+M. In that sense I really wouldn't mind a remaster.
  • Rum_Monkey 2 Jun 2021 10:47:36 2,937 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You should really try it with a pad.
  • Mola_Ram 2 Jun 2021 10:58:59 25,895 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't think of a single modern third person game that wasn't designed first and foremost for a gamepad, with "ok, I guess you can play it with kb+m if you really want to..." at best as an alternative. At best it's suboptimal, at worst unplayable.

I get that some people hate gamepads for some reason, but you should probably get over that if you want to play these games as they were meant to be played.
  • Darth_Flibble 2 Jun 2021 11:03:13 5,311 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    SR2 would need full remake as its a janky mess on consoles and needed fan made modes/patch on PC as its dumpster fire at release. Rather see new game built from the ground up more in the style of 3 rather than 4
  • PickledShogun 2 Jun 2021 12:14:34 103 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    The Strange Brigade.

A rather quirky, undead shooter with and old school vibe to its delivery. I rather like it.

Resident Evil 2

Second play through, this time with Leon.
  • Gunzberg 2 Jun 2021 12:28:04 2,866 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yakuza 3 HD. The only one apart from 7 I haven't played.

Coming after 135 hours in DQ11, I'm on a JRPG bender😱.

Next thing you know, I might bother with Octopath...but turn-based🥱
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.