Following What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 199

• simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Jun 2021 12:28:49 18,203 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    First impressions of SW Squadrons are pretty positive although it does feel like it slightly resents me for being a single player non-VR player
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Jun 2021 22:09:49 18,203 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is there a more generic fighting game roster than Virtua Fighterís?
  • SnackPlissken 4 Jun 2021 09:55:20 3,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Started Nier Automata. Played up to the second boss and died. I have to replay about 20-25 minutes again..
  • RedPanda87 4 Jun 2021 12:58:22 2,154 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Started Nier Automata. Played up to the second boss and died. I have to replay about 20-25 minutes again..
    I hate when games do that. I think the opening section of Automata is one of the worst openings I've ever come across in a game, because if you die at the first boss you start the whole game again. Completely unnecessary and such a shame, because if not for that it would be quite a strong opening.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Jun 2021 13:32:20 25,895 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am playing The Witness. It's pretty good, though it's hard going so far, not really knowing where to go or what to do.

I hope the little audio tapes lying around with long quotes from Einstein or whatever aren't going to be important to understanding what's going on. Because right now all they're doing is making me want to reach through the screen and give a big old wedgie to whoever thought they were a good idea. It's sooooooo pretentious.
  • Tomo 4 Jun 2021 14:54:45 19,371 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's a GG, stick at it
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Jun 2021 15:19:08 18,203 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I started the other night too but only played up to a boat house kind of area where you learning about the mirrored puzzles.

It seems nice but is it all just basically open and you stumble across puzzles as you go?
  • SnackPlissken 4 Jun 2021 18:49:09 3,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I hate when games do that. I think the opening section of Automata is one of the worst openings I've ever come across in a game, because if you die at the first boss you start the whole game again. Completely unnecessary and such a shame, because if not for that it would be quite a strong opening.
    Yep for sure. Especially when I like my games to actually value my time.
    Anyway I keep hearing great things about the game, so Iíll stick with it.
  • Malek86 4 Jun 2021 19:47:26 12,087 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My favourite bit is how the cutscenes in Nier Automata are skippable... except in the prologue.

At this point, you can rule out oversights, this was definitely made so people would suffer.
  • Darth_Flibble 5 Jun 2021 08:37:30 5,311 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Looking for a new game to play, so tried the fenyx rising demo to see if I like the game. I heard it has really unfunny dialogue that the "gods" dribble out but its actually really painful, nails down chalk board. Fire who ever though this was good. 40+ hours of that would drive me mad. The gameplay was ok but will skip this one for the minute as it seems a timesink when there is nice weather

Ended up replaying some Evil within 2, really enjoyed it
  • Blackmarsh63 5 Jun 2021 16:56:39 4,204 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble The humour does grate a bit but enjoyed my time with it overall. So much better than Biomutant. 😡
  • Rogueywon 5 Jun 2021 22:03:00 11,963 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Started Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Never played a Yakuza game before.

Steam says I've got 2.2 hours playtime and I don't think I've had control for even 10 minutes. Can somebody PLEASE tell me that the length and frequency of cutscenes drops a bit?
  • Frogofdoom 5 Jun 2021 22:24:18 17,655 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It does drop quite a bit. You will have to get used to getting attacked a lot though.

Its the first Yakuza game I've really gotten into as I didnt like the combat in the others too much. It ends up similar to persona in terms of cutscenes to gameplay. The story is actually really good once you get into it as well.

Currently on chapter 9 of 16.
  • Rogueywon 5 Jun 2021 22:41:20 11,963 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh, I like the story, I just wish the pacing gave a bit more interaction.
  • Frogofdoom 5 Jun 2021 22:51:52 17,655 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It will do, but there are still lots of cutscenes that last quite a long time but they are more spread out. Do you have a party at all yet or is it just you?
  • Rogueywon 5 Jun 2021 22:52:49 11,963 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Frogofdoom Still just me...
  • Frogofdoom 5 Jun 2021 22:59:11 17,655 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When its not is when I thought the cutscenes started calming down a bit and the game opens up a lot more.
  • Mola_Ram 5 Jun 2021 23:01:21 25,895 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's quite a hefty prologue iirc, and the game opens up after that.
  • Rogueywon 5 Jun 2021 23:06:10 11,963 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Where "a hefty prologue" means "a feature-length film". Don't get me wrong, I like the story. Just... let me play the game a bit.
  • Mola_Ram 5 Jun 2021 23:11:42 25,895 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All the main story stuff is cutscene-heavy, in pretty much all Yakuza games I've played. Which is not to excuse it, but just... be prepared. Brew a pot of tea or something. :)
  • Rogueywon 5 Jun 2021 23:27:29 11,963 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Mola_Ram A cup of tea wouldn't help... my biggest problem is that I don't think I can pause these cutscenes and sometimes I need a piss.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Jun 2021 23:40:32 30,532 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm playing Yakuza : Like a Dragon on PS5, only on Chapter 2 so early doors but loving the characters so far, turn based combat clearly to develop but ok.
    The Outer Worlds on Series X, really enjoying this, a relaxing distraction from the shitiness of real life, seems like right game at the right time but I'm only a few hours in.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Jun 2021 23:40:49 30,532 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Mola_Ram A cup of tea wouldn't help... my biggest problem is that I don't think I can pause these cutscenes and sometimes I need a piss.
    You can pause them, no probs.
  • Rogueywon 5 Jun 2021 23:51:51 11,963 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Ah, so I can. I wish it would show that as a prompt as well as the one to skip.
  • Tomo 6 Jun 2021 00:16:52 19,371 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I started the other night too but only played up to a boat house kind of area where you learning about the mirrored puzzles.

It seems nice but is it all just basically open and you stumble across puzzles as you go?
    Been a while since I played it but I remember there are distinct areas where the puzzles have a common 'theme' I guess. Can't remember if they are locked off or entirely open from the start. Think the former.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Jun 2021 00:29:29 25,895 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah they're all open from the start. The lack of structure was a bit maddening to me at first, but it gets easier once you find the boat. All of the boat drop-off points seem to be close to the start of each "section". And it gives you a map, which is real nice.

I'm... still not sure if I like the game. I just don't think that I like this kind of puzzle; there's plenty of times where I've known exactly what I have to do, but the process of actually doing it was complicated and frustrating. And to top it off, getting some puzzles wrong shunts you back to the previous puzzle, which you then have to do again.

That and the developer can't seem to help himself showing off how fucking smart and educated he is, which is infuriating in a different way.

But it is genuinely very clever all the same, and looks great. I really do like many aspects of the game, but there's little frustrating things that keep pushing me away.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 00:44:51 06-06-2021
  • Darth_Flibble 6 Jun 2021 13:34:13 5,311 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Started Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Never played a Yakuza game before.

Steam says I've got 2.2 hours playtime and I don't think I've had control for even 10 minutes. Can somebody PLEASE tell me that the length and frequency of cutscenes drops a bit?
    Chapter 4 is where the game opens up more and more gameplay
  • addybV3 6 Jun 2021 14:27:36 331 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Playing Saints Row 3 remastered with the upgrade on Series X at the moment. It is a good upgrade, looks nice when mulling around. Cutscenes of course still look very last last gen.
    Really enjoying playing it in small segments here and there.
  • Rogueywon 6 Jun 2021 14:33:36 11,963 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble I'm just over 4 hours in now according to Steam and have maybe actually played 30 minutes max. This needs to let up soon or it's dropped.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.