• simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Jun 2021 01:22:10 19,729 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Web-swinging never gets old
  • RobTheRobber 12 Jun 2021 01:31:23 124 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Control (PC - got it free on EGS)

Having oddly mixed feelings about this in pretty much every regard. The surreal/dreamy stuff intrigues me at one point but leaves me cold at another. Action is good fun in one moment but stale or frustrating in the next. In one moment I enjoy the brutalist architecture, in the next I long for a little variety.

It's been an 8/10 experience so far, I'm curious how I'll feel about it once I've finished it.
  • bone-on 12 Jun 2021 01:48:43 779 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Guilty Gear Strive

It is rather special. Gorgeous and jaw dropping.

Great fun
  • Mola_Ram 15 Jun 2021 03:21:04 26,052 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am also playing Control, because it is free.

It's... fine, so far. I was expecting/hoping for it to be a lot weirder, but so far it's mostly just "shoot these men with your gun, oh and the walls move around sometimes". It feels like it could be so much more, though I guess an actual House of Leaves-style game probably wouldn't sell very well.

Anyway, it's still fun! I like the combat, and the telekinesis stuff. It feels very punchy. And I love the puppet videos.
  • Nanocrystal 15 Jun 2021 05:03:57 2,522 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cities Skylines (PS5)

Finally platinumed this the other week, so now I get to play it with the infinite oil and ore "cheat" enabled, meaning I can set up my city's industry and factory pipelines permanently. It's so satisfying to hook up a network of train lines and highways so that all the resources flow smoothly. The traffic and transport management is my favourite aspect of this game, there's not many better joys in life than redesigning a highway intersection and seeing those long traffic queues melt away.

Getting the platinum trophy was a real fuck-around though. The very last trophy I needed was called "1001 Nights" and requires you to observe a full day/night cycle 1001 times. In real time this is around 150 hours on the game's maximum speed. Doesn't sound so bad, but the roughly 100 hours of play time I'd already put in was with the day/night cycle turned off, as it's too bloody dark to see what you're building during the night time. So I had to start working towards this from scratch having already rinsed the game, and it was a case of leaving the PS5 running while I was asleep/at work, rather than commit to playing the game for another 150 hours. Just a horrible idea for a trophy, and unsurprisingly only 0.2% of players have it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Jun 2021 14:16:17 19,729 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished the section of Last of Us Part 2 with the first dog encounters. What absolute bastards they are, I know its the point of them but they totally blew up my normal cautious play style and I ended up in multiple shootouts after getting blindsided.

Digging it so far but its such a slowly paced narrative that Iíve no sense of whether Iím a quarter, third or half-way through. It feels like Iíve spent a lot of time with it but progress wise I canít tell.

Got Steep as my pick up and play side game now. Not sure you could play it any other way. The views are great but youíre just hopping from marker to marker at random. The kind of game where player freedom/choice just means utter directionless gameplay. Its fun in very short bursts but without any structure I can see myself getting bored fairly quickly.
  • RedPanda87 22 Jun 2021 16:33:15 2,168 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Outer Worlds

Saying I'm playing this might be optimistic. I started it at launch and bailed after about 5 hours but I've gone back to it and put another hour or two in. Not sure I'll stick with it though, it's just so bland. Remarkably so considering the company that made it - I expect a lack of polish from Obsidian games (more so than I'm experiencing here) but they're usually at least interesting.
  • Killerbee 22 Jun 2021 18:35:17 5,232 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    Although itís an oldie, Iím playing Halo: Combat Evolved from the Master Chief Collection.

Since Iím new to this Gamepass thing itís actually been well over 15 years since I last played this, and obviously Iíve played countless First Person Shooters in that time.

And yet, it holds up.

Sure the lack of a proper aim-down-sights on the left trigger feels odd but the gunplay is solid. Thereís a fair bit of repetition in the level designs (I just got to the Library bit) and the indoor parts are nowhere near as good as the open air, but next to modern day shooters, itís remarkable how Bungie managed to give each level a bit of its own flavour, be that through the introduction of a range of different vehicles or shaking up the combat with the Flood dropping by half way through.

The MCC make over is pretty good too - outdoor areas look pretty with just the character models really betraying the gameís several-generations-ago origins.

I remember not being that impressed by Halo 2 back in the day, but Iím now quite looking forward to making my way through the collection.
  • Malek86 22 Jun 2021 19:31:03 12,238 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've got an old physical edition of the Rhem Trilogy, and going through the first game now. Probably around halfway through, I have managed to not use any hints so far. It's simultaneously making me feel like an idiot and giving me euphoria at any progress. That's the sign of a good adventure.
  • Nanocrystal 23 Jun 2021 00:04:50 2,522 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    The Outer Worlds

Saying I'm playing this might be optimistic. I started it at launch and bailed after about 5 hours but I've gone back to it and put another hour or two in. Not sure I'll stick with it though, it's just so bland. Remarkably so considering the company that made it - I expect a lack of polish from Obsidian games (more so than I'm experiencing here) but they're usually at least interesting.
    Yep, bland is the right word. I tried to get into it twice and just couldn't. I also thought the supposedly "hilarious" teaser trailer for the sequel was really unfunny, lazy, obvious and cringey.
  • retro74 23 Jun 2021 11:45:08 3,767 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm playing The Mercenaries on Resident Evil Village. I love it but wish they'd put more rewards into it - like getting an SSS rank gives you a lot more money so you could upgrade a better weapon and get an even higher score

Only got an SSS on the first stage so far, you basically need to be perfect on every stage to get one - combo the whole level, so you need to leave enemies at key locations to keep the string going
  • TechnoHippy 23 Jun 2021 16:21:19 19,213 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Peggle 2 - I like the unicorn.
  • MadCaddy13 23 Jun 2021 17:32:47 3,164 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Assassins Creed Valhalla

Loving the fact I get to roam around Leicester haha

Really enjoying it - only a few hours in mind.
  • Vice.Destroyer 24 Jun 2021 23:10:07 7,424 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks to the PlayStation Collection, playing Uncharted 4 for the first time. Couldnít believe Iíve never played it before. Really enjoying it.
  • Graxlar_v3 25 Jun 2021 09:05:22 11,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mario golf: sugar rush & scarlet nexus releases today. Two games I have been looking forward tooÖ

But itís coffee biscuit day today, so they will have to wait whilst I make 150 coffee biscuits in ff14.
  • StixxUK 25 Jun 2021 09:30:36 8,741 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @RedPanda87

Nearly went into full murderous frenzy because I thought you were calling Outer Wilds bland.

To me the weird thing about The Outer Worlds was that it on paper, and from the art style it looked like it should have been full of character but somehow it's just the opposite. Still no worse then Fallout 4, which was also dull AF.

Anyway I'm playing Halo 4, it's fun enough but I can't say I'm really loving it. For this kind of thing I think these days I'd rather play Destiny 2. Still, I'll try and play through this and Halo 5 before Infinite comes out. Did ODST for a bit but it was actually really difficult.
  • Rum_Monkey 26 Jun 2021 18:16:26 3,335 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Resi Evil Village.

Nice atmospheric and creepy opening, got to my first encounter and it gave me that horrible feeling of being wary of pressing too far forward.

I always get pissed off with how many bullets it takes to kill enemies in Resi games. I shot 1 guy in the head about 5 times and he was still coming at me.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Jun 2021 18:20:48 19,729 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rum_Monkey one of the biggest adjustments going from REmake and Village to Last of Us 2 is headshots actually being a fatal hit worth risking the extra second to aim for.

Its feels huge having that in my backpocket for sniping or fighting off ambushes.
  • Rum_Monkey 26 Jun 2021 18:40:39 3,335 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I really enjoy the combat in TLoU2, nice and weighty and actually lethal. RE is like shooting nerf guns at a feral dog.
  • Rogueywon 26 Jun 2021 21:47:47 12,260 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    After finishing Ratchet & Clank, I seem to be entirely on PC at the moment:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PC) - Around the 10 hour mark and really liking this now it's prepared to be a game rather than a movie.

Mechwarrior 5 (PC) - Playing the expansion's career mode in co-op.

Scarlet Nexus (PC) - First impression is that it's janky as hell, but I'll give it a fair go.

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PC) - Think I'm near the end of this now. Still another three instalments to go, of course...
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Jun 2021 21:51:40 31,138 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    After finishing Ratchet & Clank, I seem to be entirely on PC at the moment:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PC) - Around the 10 hour mark and really liking this now it's prepared to be a game rather than a movie.
    FFS why do you go on and on and on about Y7 having plenty of cutscenes?
    Itís the 8th game in (excluding spin-offs) in a 26 year series big on story and cut scenes and you seem amazed by them
  • Mola_Ram 26 Jun 2021 22:30:41 26,052 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I mean, he's not wrong. The game has loads and loads of cutscenes, as does every game in that series. Maybe it doesn't bother you (it didn't really bother me), but not everyone wants the same things as you or me!
  • Malek86 26 Jun 2021 22:47:59 12,238 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Metro Exodus is as good as I remembered it, even though it's a better game when it's not trying to do the open world shtick. The ray tracing is impressive too. Definitely a better use of the tech than all those games just throwing puddles everywhere.
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Jun 2021 22:52:32 31,138 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I mean, he's not wrong. The game has loads and loads of cutscenes, as does every game in that series. Maybe it doesn't bother you (it didn't really bother me), but not everyone wants the same things as you or me!
    Of course but it's like a gaming geek playing Super Mario Odyssey and posting 10 times on a forum that there's too much jumping.
  • Rogueywon 26 Jun 2021 22:56:55 12,260 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm up for lots of cutscenes, many of my favorite games have lots of cutscenes, but the first four and a half hours of Yakuza: Like a Dragon have four hours of cutscenes. That's a serious pacing issue.

Edit: Once past that, it starts to get more sensible and has now settled into a more normal ratio. But making you watch two feature films before you get to any gameplay is fucked up.

Edited by Rogueywon at 22:59:18 26-06-2021
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Jun 2021 23:31:21 31,138 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I'm up for lots of cutscenes, many of my favorite games have lots of cutscenes, but the first four and a half hours of Yakuza: Like a Dragon have four hours of cutscenes. That's a serious pacing issue.

Edit: Once past that, it starts to get more sensible and has now settled into a more normal ratio. But making you watch two feature films before you get to any gameplay is fucked up.
    Weird, I'm on Chapter 2 and have had more easily more than 30 mins of gameplay.
    In other news, I played thew new Battlefield, the amount of shooting is unbearable.;)
  • Rogueywon 26 Jun 2021 23:44:54 12,260 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Then you are being very, very slow with the tutorial stuff. You get a little bit of running around the city at the start, then it's multiple movies dumped on you.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Jun 2021 06:08:15 26,827 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My "main"
    AC Valhalla: level 210, 50% complete and 80+ hours in!!!!

Others:
    AC Ezio collection, started yesterday.

"Daily fix/addiction"
    Gears, wonderful Gears, 3 MVP yesterday.👍

Also about 5-10 other games getting played every once in a while including:
    Prey
    AC Syndicate
    Control
    JC4
    Greedfall
    Deadspace
    Dragon's Dogma
  • Darth_Flibble 27 Jun 2021 17:45:01 5,517 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yes your grace

Upto the half way point and ready for the battle. I think it would be less fun without some tips on how to prepare as the game easily screws the player over. Still can't stand the gibberish noise the character makes. Worth looking at if you have gamepass

Zombie army 4: dead war

always avoided these games as they seemed cheap cash in in the CoD WW2 zombies mode but its like they fan mod sniper elite. Its ok with 3 other players but its so average, the designers should give you fun weapons and perks etc but its all so by the numbers. We did up to the boat level on Venice and unless we do co=op again, doubt I will play it
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Jun 2021 18:21:49 26,827 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble

As a lover of the brilliant SE series, I fully concur with your thoughts on ZA.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.