What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 4

• drhickman1983 16 Dec 2014 01:20:42 6,857 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    Loved the original as a kid, and loving this even more. Another nice example of a strategy game working brilliantly on a console. I have a maxed out female Korean soldier nicknamed "Werewolf" who kicks all kinds of ass. Think I fucked up by not investing in satellites early on, though.
    Just wait, Werewolf will bite it in a when a misison goes FUBAR at it will be the most harrowing thing you've ever experienced. And that's why XCOM: Enemy Unknown is my favourite game of the last gen.

Weird I've found myself spreading my gaming a little wide. Used to just focus on one game at a time, with something like WoW or SWTOR chugging along, but I'v found my attention split between Alien: Isolation, Valkyria Chronicles and (surprisingly) Robocraft. With the World of Warcraft expansion taking a good portion of time still. AND I want to give Witcher 2 another chance. Oh, and I'm supposed to be playing FFXIII, but the exposition is terrible in the early stages at least.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 01:29:59 16-12-2014
  • Nanocrystal 16 Dec 2014 02:05:58 2,124 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Witcher 2 is worth putting the effort into, FFXIII not so much.

For Witcher 2, I'd recommend reading a guide for the early stages, as there are several easily-missed perks to get that really make things easier.
  • drhickman1983 16 Dec 2014 02:17:26 6,857 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just really don't like the combat in Witcher 2. I've not really got far, so maybe it becomes more interesting later, but it just didn't click for me. But the story seemed reasonably good, so that's why I want to give it another go (oh, and whilst it's a small point, the forced "stealth" sections are abysmal).

FFXIII seems to have an interesting mythology behind it, but is told in such a cack-handed way it's hard to care too much.
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Dec 2014 06:55:13 28,862 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    I just really don't like the combat in Witcher 2. I've not really got far, so maybe it becomes more interesting later, but it just didn't click for me. But the story seemed reasonably good, so that's why I want to give it another go (oh, and whilst it's a small point, the forced "stealth" sections are abysmal).

FFXIII seems to have an interesting mythology behind it, but is told in such a cack-handed way it's hard to care too much.
    Stick with The Witcher 2, it's an amazing game.
  • DUFFMAN5 16 Dec 2014 07:41:21 26,034 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    360: FarCry 4/AC Rogue
    PS3: Daiblo III UE edition.
    Kindle: A book ;)
    One: Dead Rising 3/Titanfall
    PS4: My first game will probably be TLoU remastered. I LOVED the original and never really played the mp side of things.
    ...and now
    360:Nowt for a week or so, although my last games were still FC4/AC Rogue
    PS3: Beyond: Two Souls
    Kindle: A book, Heresy.
    One: Nowt for over a week
    PS4: Drive club and TLoU mp.
  • rockavitch 16 Dec 2014 09:25:31 1,206 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rockavitch wrote:
    Rayman Legends PS3, fantastic game, enjoying it so much I might platinum it simply to get all the enjoyment possible as it doesn't have many annoying trophies just ones that encourage more play and improvement.
    How wrong was I, that maximum awesome trophy can go fuck itself.

Still playing Diablo 3. Shall be playing Pokemon Ruby from around 5pm though.
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Dec 2014 09:51:46 28,862 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wii U : Bayonetta 2
    PC : The Evil Within

Loving both of them to death, TEW will take me quite some time to finish, itr's pretty tough IMO.
  • wuntyate 16 Dec 2014 10:16:01 14,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Malek86 Can't say I'm finding the loading as long or as frequent as has been made out, but granted it's early days. Just fannying around in the city doing side missions just now. Really suprised with this. I expected to not like it at all but running around rooftops and jimmying through windows is great fun. Like the swoop mechanic and the stealth works well.
  • Humperfunk 16 Dec 2014 10:20:41 8,197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've kind of given up on Dragon Age Inquisition - not for a negative reason but the sheer amount of content means I feel like it deserves proper "sittings" to get the most out of it and with Christmas and birthdays, I just haven't got the time at the moment :(

So in the meantime I've now started Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remixwhatsit as always heard it's supposed to be great, and with 2.5 out and 3 in development thought might as well. I know it's another big RPG but seems like you can play for an hour or so and be done, plus it's another thing off the backlog. Played around 4 hours over the weekend and enjoyable enough so far. I imagine it'll pick up when I get to the Disney levels of the films I prefer.

Also playing Persona Q on 3DS on the commute/in bed. Again, it's an absolute beast that quite honestly is overwhelming me much like Dragon Age. Think I'm getting to the point where I prefer linear games or something that have a defined beginning, middle and end. Maybe it's just a phase.

Far Cry 4 for Christmas though...probably too big for me too, bah!
  • Vortex808 16 Dec 2014 10:26:36 13,856 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A little bit of Driveclub in brief spells, since I am pretty much just playing Dragon Age, hope to finish it pre-Xmas with luck.

Then I get to focus on Far Cry 4 and have been saving the Walking Dead season 2 for xmas due to enjoying feasting on it (like a zombie with a freshly caught human)over the holidays a year or two back with season 1.
  • Malek86 16 Dec 2014 10:38:16 10,158 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @wuntyphyve in the beginning, there isn't much loading. The loading comes when the city starts opening up, as you advance further in the story.

For some reason, they didn't use streaming like an open world game, indstead they simply divided the city in areas accessed by loading screens, like Monster Hunter. The most annoying result of this is not the loading itself (though I guess it will be longer on console than on PC, where I played it) but the fact that each area has very few pathways to access it, so you can't just run around randomly to move from one place to another. You always need to remember where each entrance is.

As a whole, it gets annoying enough that I stopped playing the sidequests after a couple chapters. I did try and explore all the city though. Finding all there's to find the first time is pretty fun... but only the first time.

Also for some reason, the only time-based achievement is given out for finishing the game in more than 15 hours.

Edited by Malek86 at 10:42:30 16-12-2014
  • wuntyate 16 Dec 2014 10:44:07 14,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Malek86 Ah. Cool, I'll see how I get on. Streaming sounds like it would have been a better solution. The one thing I have noticed is some pretty bad texture popping. Not noticed it in a game this much since Colonial Marines. Can live with it though. For now...
  • Malek86 16 Dec 2014 10:47:11 10,158 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @wuntyphyve yah, the classic sign of an UE3 game, but this is especially bad because it also runs a lot worse than a typical UE3 game.
  • wuntyate 16 Dec 2014 10:51:44 14,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Malek86 It's mental, even during scripted moments. Pop pop pop pop pop.

Still, I'm nicking candlesticks in the dark so I'm content.
  • Malek86 16 Dec 2014 10:54:36 10,158 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @wuntyphyve which platform are you playing on? On PC the streaming is not bad, but I heard on consoles it's worse.
  • wuntyate 16 Dec 2014 10:55:43 14,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Malek86 PS3. Probably the worst, ha ha.
  • CosmicFuzz 16 Dec 2014 11:23:32 32,585 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Put about 5 hours into Shadow of Mordor. It's amazing.
  • Deleted user 16 December 2014 13:00:40
    drhickman1983 wrote:

Have a look for the Witcher 2 Combat Mod, it rebalances combat and changes the animations to make it much more reactive/realistic. It technically makes it harder but also more intuitive. Thats assuming your on PC.
  • Deleted user 16 December 2014 13:28:30
    Vita - Danganronpa. I'm only up to chapter 3 on this, but love it so far...

DS - Pokemon Black. I just fancied something to while away the commute without ridiculously long chapters. As much as I'm enjoying Danganronpa, it can be very hard to find a suitable place to stop playing it.

PS4 - Geometry Wars 3. Haven't played it for a good while now, but I definitely haven't abandoned it!

I'm trying to keep my slate a bit clean for the inevitable Christmas presents next week, so I guess I'll stick to the above for now.
    I was going to dip into Elite Dangerous now that it's out, but feel like I should possibly give it a couple of months before I touch it...
  • drhickman1983 17 Dec 2014 21:19:32 6,857 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Sharzam

I'll have a look for that mod, thanks.

Unrelated to Withcer 2, but I'm getting *slightly* frustrated with Alien: Isolation. It's a wonderful game, but I don't have much patience with having to replay sections because save points are sometimes a tad too far apart (at least for a player as ham fisted as I).

I get caught in a loop of loading the game, trying to replay a particular section, maybe getting a little further than last time, then doing something stupid and getting killed. But the prospect of having to do everything I just did again usually just makes me quit the game and play something else. Until the next day, when the same thing happens again. Then sometimes I might get through to the next section.

Of course, I fully accept that having more save points would make getting killed more trivial, which in turn would diminish the games excellent atmosphere. I'm just finding it hard to keep playing for the same length of time I normally would.

EDIT: After the most recent death I've decided to drop the difficulty.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 22:37:45 17-12-2014
  • CharlieStCloud 17 Dec 2014 21:25:08 5,812 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @drhickman1983

Took me four long weeks for complete Alien: Isolation purely because I don't have the pleasure of playing games for long periods of time (at a time) as the save mechanic in the game kept me from progressing after making what felt like significant progress.

... ten years ago, when I was a 16 year old high school student, it would not have bothered me, but nowadays, I welcome the opportunit to save when and where I can.
  • pacrifice 17 Dec 2014 21:34:42 5,247 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm playing my favourite game - Gran Turismo.

;)
  • Nitrous 17 Dec 2014 22:33:39 2,049 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    To many on the go, I should learn to stick to just one game at a time.

PS3 - Gran Turismo 6 after the latest update today
    PS4 - GTA V
    PS Vita - A bit of everything but should be LBP mostly.
  • Deleted user 18 December 2014 19:45:12
    @dfunked

I've been blitzing geometry wars 3. It has me hooked. It's stopped me playing drive club, pes and farcry 4.
  • Nanocrystal 22 Dec 2014 05:17:55 2,124 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    Bioshock Infinite
    Only a few hours in and pretty great so far. Columbia is absolutely stunning. The first hour where you just get to explore and take it all in was wonderful, kind of a shame it all turned into pew-pew so quickly.
    Urgh, getting fed up with this. Far too much of an arena shooter for my liking. The setting, story and characters are engrossing even though it's re-treading Bioshock's ground. But the combat is tedious as hell. I've switched it to easy and will plow ahead just to see how it ends I guess. I am disappoint.
  • DUFFMAN5 22 Dec 2014 07:36:55 26,034 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    Bioshock Infinite
    Only a few hours in and pretty great so far. Columbia is absolutely stunning. The first hour where you just get to explore and take it all in was wonderful, kind of a shame it all turned into pew-pew so quickly.
    Urgh, getting fed up with this. Far too much of an arena shooter for my liking. The setting, story and characters are engrossing even though it's re-treading Bioshock's ground. But the combat is tedious as hell. I've switched it to easy and will plow ahead just to see how it ends I guess. I am disappoint.
    I did likewise re the combat, lovely world (360) and lots to like but too combat heavy.

Bioshock 2 wins the series in every dept for me. Great campaign with excellent MP and people do still play it, well one of the modes. and one of the best dlc's ever in MD.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.