Printers - Great when they're working. Could use improving.

• Deleted user 25 November 2014 21:00:26
    I own a Canon MP272. Looks nice, prints and scans. That's the up side.

The downside. It don't print anymore, prefers to chew up the paper, for no obvious reason. I've looked at it, shaken it, taken it to bits. Nothing obvious causing the issue.

Then there's the ink. Why is printer ink so expensive?

The Canon MP272 has one huge design flaw. If the ink is out, it refuses to allow the scanner to work? how nuts is that.

Time to buy a new printer. It'll be my second in as many years. When they do play up, it's stressful. They always tend to go wrong at the most inconvenient of times. Frustration sets in. Stress levels go up. Today I found myself bizarrely enough, typing in the words to YouTube kicking the shit out of printer

Watching this video made me laugh, and lowered my stress levels :)
  • Deleted user 25 November 2014 21:07:13
    Take's a while to reach the good bit.
  • caligari 25 Nov 2014 21:45:03 17,945 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Urgh - I'll never buy another one. I'd rather pay to print essentials out at the local library.

I picked mine up the other day - walked downstairs - and plopped it in to the wheelie bin.

Probably a bit hasty as the scanner part still worked - but I like to think it was my 'Office Space' homage.
  • elstoof 26 Nov 2014 06:08:12 25,870 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They're only about 2.50 for a new one.
  • Deleted user 26 November 2014 06:22:03
    Got a printer/scanner combo thing.

Not used the printer part in an age and a bit.

Basically just have a scanner.

And I barely use that.

It's mostly just a big dark grey box with a lid and a little screen.

But it's nice to have, just in case.
  • Deleted user 26 November 2014 06:38:08
    The thing with a scanner though, is the two times a year you need them, you REALLY need them
  • Tonka 26 Nov 2014 06:42:08 30,900 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @PES_Fanboy for what? I find myself taking pictures of stuff instead.
  • Deleted user 26 November 2014 07:23:19
    Scanning your passport / driving license etc
  • Dirtbox 26 Nov 2014 07:28:41 91,420 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • dominalien 26 Nov 2014 08:24:30 9,662 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Inkjets are a waste of money, some more so than others. Who prints photos these days anyway? Lasers are better.

Edited by dominalien at 08:25:53 26-11-2014
  • Tonka 26 Nov 2014 08:34:02 30,900 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Scanning your passport / driving license etc
    Take a picture of it. That's what I do.

If you need a copy of an old photo then I see the need for a scanner.

But all that other stuff I use my phone nowadays. Makes it easier to mail it as well. There are apps that clean them up and crop and what have you.
  • Deleted user 26 November 2014 12:08:13
    Game idea: Wii Hardware Smash

Round after Round of Smashing stuff up, with a panel of judges awarding points out of 10 depending on the moves used, parts broken, within the time-limit. After each Round, two guys appear on screen to sweep up the parts, placing them onto a stretcher, and carrying them off. Replay feature showing crowd reaction to key smash moments.
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Nov 2014 12:57:21 23,457 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Inkjets are a waste of money, some more so than others. Who prints photos these days anyway? Lasers are better.
    This. Laser printers are relatively cheap these days and work much more consistently and the consumables are cheaper in the long-run.
  • solarspot 26 Nov 2014 14:11:31 291 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We have a HP printer, it worked brilliantly until the PC died and we got a new one with Win8 on it. I imagine it still would work quite well if we could get the PC to tell it to print but that is a struggle.
    These days if something needs printing it gets done at work.
  • mothercruncher 7 Dec 2015 17:30:18 17,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fucking despise printers. Hunks of dusty plastic that feel full of promise initially, before it quickly becomes evident that the expensive cartridges are sold 1/4 full, and the printer is programmed to detect the cheap refills and throw a fit, and that minuscule spring that pinged off some way back turns out to be VITAL if you aren't to get constant "print head needs attention" messages and the shitty software is ridden with holes that act like beacons for malware and that part you need to replace is priced at more than the sodding thing cost in the first place..... Sheesh.

Anyhoo. The latest piece of shit Kodak printer has given up the ghost so I need a new one. I think half the trouble is that the inkjet heads get manky after printing colour photos and then sit for weeks while the whole mess gloopy hardens up.

Slightly higher cost, but finer print quality if I remember from college correctly, for an occasional couple of tickets, quick receipt every second month etc, are lazerjets any more robust and reliable a system than inkjets these days?
  • Deleted user 7 December 2015 17:45:25
    Depends on what kind of money you're willing to spend... To get any kind of decent colour LaserJet you'd really need to be doing a serious amount of printing in order to justify the cost (and if you thought refills were expensive before, you're in for a scare!!), but if you're just printing out a few tickets every now and again as you say, you're probably better off sticking with 30 inkjets.

For the record, I fucking detest printers and look forward to the day when the cunting things aren't needed/used any more
  • Deleted user 7 December 2015 17:51:43
    I bought a new printer about six months ago and it was a fucking revelation. Color laser, scans TO THE FUCKING CLOUD without the need for a computer and fully wireless so I can just print to it from my phone.

I realise all of these things aren't new. But they are to me.
  • Goban 7 Dec 2015 18:52:57 10,071 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What kind is it? I've been printerless for 2 years now. Starting to do my head in.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2015 18:57:39
    I think it's this one:

http://www.printerland.co.uk/Epson-Aculaser-CX17wf-P118050.aspx?source=AddwordsC11CB71081BY&gclid=CIW9xrW2yskCFQic2wodtBAMGQ

If you don't do much printing, their inkjet Workforce models do very similar quality, do all the stuff on the cloud and are about 80.

I will print the shit outta this one hence spent a fair bit.

Edited by PES_Fanboy at 18:58:16 07-12-2015
  • KnuttinAtoll 7 Dec 2015 19:01:34 8,146 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD2xBXm4y70
  • mal 7 Dec 2015 19:07:26 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    My last printer was built like a tank (and nearly cost as much originally). I bought it in the late 90s, but after a couple of years it was no use for colour stuff, as it predated photo printers, and I rarely used it for anything else, having access to a suite of printers at work.

Took a bit of work getting it down the tip, and it made a hell of a bang when I dropped it in the skip.
  • Zeffi 7 Dec 2015 20:06:56 1,028 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    - New Printer 40, includes 2 ink cartridges.
    - 2 replacement ink cartridges, 45.

lol

Try to print a black and white document, sorry - out of yellow ink.

Twats, the industry needs a massive shake-up.
  • mrpon 7 Dec 2015 20:10:51 36,286 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Star LC10, what a printer!!
  • neilka 7 Dec 2015 20:11:43 23,413 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
  • Paulanator 16 Mar 2016 18:25:47 618 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Can anyone offer any assistance please. I bought myself a cheap and cheerful Canon Pixma 2950 printer to use with my Chromebook as it clearly states on the spec and the box that it is Google Cloud Print ready but I can't for the life of me get it to connect/my Chromebook to recognise it.

Anyone with a similar experience that could help.

Thanks muchly

Edited by Paulanator at 18:26:25 16-03-2016
  • magicpanda 16 Mar 2016 18:36:02 15,035 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Paulanator https://support.google.com/cloudprint/answer/1686197?hl=en
  • Psiloc 20 Aug 2019 14:09:44 5,532 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Part of our installs at work involve printers. Usually two or three existing printers that have to be shared and then mapped to on other PCs.

Our schedules literally look like this:

AM: Get access to servers, install server software, install SQL database, import site data into database, connect server software to third party demographics database, create shortcuts on client PCs, install client software, install and configure USB hardware ~15x, test.

PM: Install the printers. Hope you don't have to come back the next day to finish installing the printers.

In fairness weird corporate networks don't usually help. But for fucks sake just print like

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.