Buying Digital Copies of Games to Replace Discs

First Previous
  • Phattso 28 Nov 2014 16:58:46 27,233 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I found myself in a situation today where I sold my disc copy of Diablo 3 PS4 to a work colleague, with the intention of buying the (still hideously overpriced) digital version in the Black Friday sale.

I play the game so regularly in between other titles I'd decided I had the hump with changing discs.

Here's what I expected to happen:

1. Purchase digital copy.
    2. It spots I've already installed the game.
    3. I can now play said install without needing the disc.

Here's what actually happened:

1. Purchase digital copy.
    2. Get offered two versions of the game to download.
    3. Choose one.
    4. It queues up BOTH for download (one 22GB, one 40GB which I suspect has EFIGS in it)
    5. The game still has the disc icon on the PS4 menu, and I'll have to wait for at least 22GB to download to find out if the savegames are even compatible with whatever this new version identifies as.

Seems like a missed opportunity to make this a simple process. Does anyone have experience with this? Is this normal?

More than that, how many of you guys 'n' gals are moving to digital when the opportunity presents itself? Coming from predominantly Steam based gaming over the last few years, going back to sticking a disc in the drive feels anachronistic. I was sad when MS dropped their plans to treat discs as a delivery medium with a code for the 'license' in the box - I'd probably have gone the X1 route if they'd done that*.

* No, after what they did to the 360 I'd never buy the One. :)
  • Deleted user 28 November 2014 17:17:20
    I guess not all games are created equal though - I've seen a few complaints about Diablo 3's odd download options, so it might just be a once-off for that particular game.
    I've been tempted to sell my copy of Destiny and pick up a US digital copy complete with the expansion, but just didn't get around to it... I'm guessing buying from different regions would have require a redownload as well..

I'd go fully digital in a heartbeat if they could sort out the ridiculous pricing on the UK stores.
  • Phattso 28 Nov 2014 18:05:44 27,233 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm more concerned that the save games won't be detected. There's a good 40+ hours in there at least.

Guess I should've done some research first!
  • Derblington 28 Nov 2014 18:10:21 35,010 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Save games should be fine.

This is normal though, on PS4. On Xbone, it's the same install for both physical and digital so it works exactly as you had expected.

Personally, I only buy digital for absolute conveience - a game I will play a lot or if there's a decent deal on the store (I use the UK store but live in an expensive country, so that can happen quite a bit).
  • Deleted user 28 November 2014 18:11:06
    Game saves are seperate from the game install (Unlike the Vita) so you wont have any problems, worse case scenario you can download a backup from the 'cloud'.
  • Deleted user 28 November 2014 18:58:15
    I think saves could be game dependent. I had the load of Killzone around launch last year, but when I bought it digitally the save was detected (only bought it digitally because of the 99c "deal" that the Sony intern had on a few months ago).
  • Phattso 29 Nov 2014 02:33:22 27,233 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Heh - I did consider putting the word 'physical' in there somewhere BUT YOUR TEARS OF RAGE ARE JUST TOO TASTY! :)
  • Dirtbox 29 Nov 2014 03:08:27 92,417 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 29 November 2014 03:47:30
    I'm all for adopting an all digital approach. Most of my purchases recently have been digital(ps3 and ps4, and music too!).

It's happening no matter what, time to adopt I say! The luxury of not having to get up to swap discs because I want to play Diablo 3 but GTA V is in the drive is worth the extra tenner.*

*score
  • rock27gr 29 Nov 2014 06:51:33 6,439 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    GLOL!

I'd rather we went analogue, got more soul! :p
  • Phattso 29 Nov 2014 07:13:06 27,233 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    @Phattso It's not the lack of "physical", it's the flagrant abuse of "digital"! Buying a game on a disc is buying a digital copy of a game! Buying the digital version of Diablo 3?! It makes no sense - there's no board game or sport of Diablo 3 - you can only buy the digital version, either on a disc or via download!!!!
    I know you're only partially serious, but no. You're being reductionist.

One is a purely digital offering that, at no time in the purchasing flow, exists on a physical medium outside of the game player. The other is a digital offering that does exist on a physical medium outside of the game player.

You could consider the shorthand to be Digital vs. Physical. And, since the English language is defined by its usage, you've already lost the battle and are now on every level entirely and irrevocably wrong.

LIVE WITH YOUR SHAME!

If it still rankles might I suggest Mandarin? As a language it's a lot more descriptive about the differences between the two - I think you'd approve. ;)
  • Pierre2k 29 Nov 2014 07:55:08 1,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have no intention of ever buying digital on console for as long as I can avoid it, beyond the download only games of course.

I've been a steam user since it launched with Half-Life 2 all those years ago and have well over 100 games on my steam account.

So why the difference? Why happy to buy digital on PC, but not console:

1) on PC there is effectively no option but to buy digital. Disc versions are still linked to your account, so useless once registered.

2) When I buy digital on Steam I know I want lose the game at the end of the generation. When I bought Half-Life 2 I had a decent PC. It then got old and it wasn't until about 3 years ago I had a decent machine again. I was able to download steam, download all my older games, and play them all again with all the bells and whistles turned on. Great. However, if I bought and Xbox One tomorrow, would I be able to download all my digital 360 games to it and play? Absolutely not.

Of course I can play them on my X360 still, but what if it breaks in 5 years time. I buy a new one, but what if MS have shut the servers for 360 down? What happens to all my digital 360 games? I know Steam could close, but it's highly unlikely in the foreseeable future.

I like to collect games. I still have a Saturn collection, N64, PS2, GameCube, Wii, PS3, 360 etc. This collection only has value of the games are playable. Anyone can buy a GameCube, and my disc games will work. A digital catalogue is worthless to everyone but me.

4) Price. Even if steam shut it's doors tomorrow, I only paid around 4 for many of the games, or got many as part of humble bundles etc. However, if I paid 50 for a game, if be pretty pissed to lose it. Also, as there is no competition on console (you can only buy digital from the platforms official store), then it's terrible for competition and the market.

5) Not a big problem for me these days, but if I was a kid I'd hate not being able to swap games with my mates.
  • CharlieStCloud 29 Nov 2014 08:00:10 5,812 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    I play the game so regularly in between other titles I'd decided I had the hump with changing discs.
    The phrase, 'first world problems' immediately springs to mind!

: )

For me, multiplayer focussed games like Destiny, Mario Kart 8 or the latest FIFA/PES are worth buying digitally if you are going to play them frequently whereas single player games such as Alien: Isolation, The Evil Within and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, all of which are quite recent releases, you would be better off buying a physical/retail copy.

Once you finish those, you very rarely pop back to them.

I myself have only got one digital retail game on my PlayStation 4 and that is Driveclub, because of the generous PS+ price.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 29 Nov 2014 08:49:55 10,478 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    English dictionaries have not been updated with your incorrect usage, and while some of their decisions literally boil my blood
    Oh really. Your blood literally boiled did it. Did it really.
  • Phattso 29 Nov 2014 10:15:18 27,233 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Phattso wrote:
    The phrase, 'first world problems' immediately springs to mind!
    Heh. Well a workmate said he'd give me thirty sheets for it, and the DIGITAL (DIGITAL DIGITAL DIGITAL) version's only a fiver more so I went for it. :)

I've only had the console for six or seven weeks, but already the hard drive is full. 500GB is a joke for the install sizes of contemporary games.
  • nickthegun 29 Nov 2014 10:26:37 86,900 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    One of the reasons I gave away my DVD collection is that I never bothered with discs.

Even now with games, I would much rather download it than have a physical copy. To be perfectly honest, if they stopped producing discs tomorrow, I doubt I would notice (other than the magpies on here crying into their disc binders).
  • Dirtbox 29 Nov 2014 10:30:06 92,417 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • nickthegun 29 Nov 2014 10:38:15 86,900 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My PS3 could act as a dvd/br player if push came to shove but plex has brought an end to all that nonsense.
  • Gurgy 29 Nov 2014 10:56:50 2,923 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I accidentally bought a digital download of Wolfenatein despite having it on disc ( it was a brainless mistake ).

Traded disc version as Sony wouldn't refund my error.

Console didn't need to download the full game for the switch to digital to work. However my saved game progress wouldn't work (tried download from cloud too) but all unlocked weapons and perks stayed unlocked.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2014 11:33:33
    Sony's Playstation store is a fucking mess. As a software developer, such a messy product from such a large company is a fairly good indication they are broke.
  • Bowzer43 29 Nov 2014 11:37:49 1,891 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have had a Steam account for 10 years have over 250 games and am happy that when I change PC or have a fatal HDD crash all my games are still available to download again, no loss.

The biggest issue with going download only on console is the size of the games are so huge my crap broadband connection takes hours to download the game, the small HDD in the console (even though I upgraded my PS4 drive to 1TB on day one) will fill very quickly (on PC I can just chuck another large drive in a spare bay or clone the existing drive to a larger one).

The other issue with going all download on console is once that console generation has ended all those games are lost.

Finally a purely downloaded games catalogue has no resale value, even if you sell the console with the games on the drive, it's locked to your account so the buyer cannot play the games unless you sell your account with it. Not a major issue with steam as most games I pick up for only a few quid or around 20 if I really want a new release, but those games will always be available to me on any pc I buy in the future and download the steam client to.

While I agree we are moving to a download only generation for our consumer entertainment (games, films, music etc) people will soon realise the open platforms are better value than closed eco systems (iTunes, console stores etc) to enjoy your purchases into the future.
  • yegon 29 Nov 2014 11:39:55 6,511 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I seem to recall Diablo was a weird install, it's been a simpler process with other stuff.

Console wise, I buy mostly physical with the exception of stuff that I know that I'll play sporadically on and off for ages alongside other games, e.g. Diablo, Master Chief etc. Digital price is an utter rip, but worth it for me in these cases.

Edited by yegon at 11:41:21 29-11-2014
  • Phattso 29 Nov 2014 12:29:47 27,233 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I don't know what's stupider, believing you'd get anything like a Steam experience, or buying a console in the first place. You make me want to puke.
    I tell you what, if the Steam front room experience was worth a toss I most likely wouldn't even have been tempted with a console.

There's a massive untapped market out there of people like me who fucked off PC gaming on a monitor years ago. When they finally figure out how to build a UI that isn't an embarrassing abortion of half-baked horseshit like the current one, I think it'll be game over for consoles.

They can keep the existing support for people like yourself rocking it old school, obviously.
  • Phattso 29 Nov 2014 12:34:32 27,233 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    One of the reasons I gave away my DVD collection is that I never bothered with discs.

Even now with games, I would much rather download it than have a physical copy. To be perfectly honest, if they stopped producing discs tomorrow, I doubt I would notice (other than the magpies on here crying into their disc binders).
    Yeah, when I moved house five or so years ago the sheer accretion of disc based bollocks was horrifying. I still had some fucking VHS tapes, too. When I left the UK I ripped the movies I still liked and dropped the entire DVD/BR collection at a charity shop.
  • siar25002 2 Nov 2015 16:14:23 1 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    i sold my bloodborne disc after i've played it in a while later i bought the game on ps4 store and when i opened the game i could not play online and i could not log into my user it said that i can't load a game from an fully installed game someone wanna help me out?
  • samharper 2 Nov 2015 16:47:40 1,123 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I only buy digital if someone will go half with me. New games for 25 is pretty good. So I almost never buy off Steam, and especially never anything brand new.
  • MoGamer2006 26 May 2016 14:54:33 1,088 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm thinking about buying SW Battlefront digitally if/when it goes cheap as I enjoy playing it for a break from more intense stuff.

Seems like I have to uninstall the physical disc and download, but saves will be fine.

But what about DLC? Is that likely to transfer okay too?
  • First Previous
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.