The 'Read 52 Books in 2015 Challenge' Thread Page 7

• PazJohnMitch 4 Mar 2015 10:35:53 15,986 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    On page 1,158 of Stephen King's The Stand. One day I will finish it.
    Longest book I have read this year is Words of Radiance at 1400 pages.

Just finished the Emperor's Soul which was a mere pamphlet by comparison at 100 pages. (Making 3 for the year and a quarter of the way to my mini target).

Next up is Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobbs. After that I tend to read the 4th book in Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series and then start on the Wheel of Time Books. That should tied me over until Winds of Winter.
  • Humperfunk 4 Mar 2015 11:20:56 8,196 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1,400, good effort! I'm now around 1,280 (haven't been reading as much since my last post), but think the kindle is saying 96% so don't think it will quite reach 1,400 :)
  • Deleted user 4 March 2015 13:05:40
    Kindle can be quite misleading with percentages sometimes. A lot of non-fiction books can have loads of notes and appendices at the end and often finish at 80ish % on kindle (and other brands of ereaders).

I'm doing about half my reading on paper and half on kindle atm. Apparently recall is superior on paper compared to electronic reading. Although you have to wonder who sponsored that 'research'.
  • Humperfunk 4 Mar 2015 14:03:19 8,196 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah very true, been a couple of books that have suddenly ended at around 90% with 10% being a load of irrelevant guff at the end. Up to 97% after lunch so this one will take me close!

Reckon I'll read 'It' next.
  • JoelStinty 4 Mar 2015 14:33:44 8,922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mr-Zoo wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Mr-Zoo wrote:
    Week 9

The start of week 9 and I've read 11 books so far, most of them non fiction. Now I'm reading Race Against The Stasi. I've been strict and stuck to reading 1 book at a time. I really must try to do the same with my gaming.

After RATS is done I'm going to start The Story of The Stone/Dream of the Red Chamber series.
    Finished Race Against The Stasi and quite enjoyed it. Definitely a good read for anyone interested in life behind the iron curtain and it was great to learn about The Peace Race, something I'd never heard of before. I see there's another East German book available on amazon for only 99p:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Love-Story-German-Family/dp/1782270426/

It's the story of a different generations of a family in East Germany over a 40 year period.
    Glad you enjoyed it at least. Yeah the interview format threw me too at first, it starts off like a normal non fiction book, and then suddenly the format changes. But it makes for such a easy engaging read. Whilst I liked the Stasi reports and understood why he used them the way he did the second half was a little dry. But still, overall it is a great book.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2015 14:37:49
    @JoelStinty

I think he over used the reports near the end of the book. If anything, it could have easily been a lot longer. Did you notice how the Stasi informants were incredibly paranoid and saw all manner of conspiracies and betrayal where none existed. They even criticised his quiet personality as being incorrect and that he should take steps to improve himself!Anyway, a good read and I'm glad that you recommended it.
  • JoelStinty 4 Mar 2015 14:55:03 8,922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Totally. It must have been quite a scary place to live. As soon as the Gdr didn't have a use for you they would find anything to use against you, especially if you refused to tow the party line, join it , or not to be seen being patriotic.

It seems Dieter wasn't even remotely political either, they even mentioned it themselves as nothing to be concerned about as long as he was performing well. But yeah, if things started to go wrong pressure was applied.

I found it really interesting, especially how the GDR used sport as a political tool.

Edited by JoelStinty at 14:56:19 04-03-2015
  • Deleted user 6 March 2015 07:31:57
    Week 10

The start of week 10. I've now read 12 books this year and am greatly enjoying reading regularly. The downside (or upside?) is that I'm spending a lot less time on gaming.

My latest book is The Story of The Stone, sometimes also known as The Dream of The Red Chamber. It's a classic of Chinese literature, the bulk of which was written by a fairly unknown writer. He died and the book was finished off by many different people over the years, resulting in many different versions appearing. This all happened in the mid to late 18th century.

While it has been printed in 5 volumes I suppose it's really just 1 book, albeit a super long one. I previously read volume 1 but decided to start again from the start to familiarise myself with the massive list of characters.

I'm reading it on kindle, a decision that I'm coming to regret due to the fairly large number of typos. They've obviously machine scanned in the book and not corrected all the errors. The Penguin paperbacks were fairly expensive (10 - 15) last time I checked so thought I'd save a little money by getting the e versions. Wish I hadn't now.

I'm about 25% of the way through vol 1 and will probably finish it next week. Oh, and the story is excellent.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2015 07:06:34
    Week 11

The start of Week 11. I've slowed my reading down in the last week in order not to burn myself out. I'm still on vol 1 of The Story of the Stone and it'll probably take me a couple of months to get through all 5 volumes.

A couple of days ago I bought The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights. Three volumes for just over 10 on kindle. I'll dip in and out of it over the course of the year.

One thing I've noticed is that these classic novels can be pretty racey. We've got young boys being taught the ways of love by sexy maids, boy on boy action in the schoolyard, brought to life by such amusing ditties as:

Bum Cake!
    Bum cake!
    Let's all have
    A bit to eat!

1001 Nights is full of virgins being deflowered and queens having courtyard orgies with slaves. It ain't all Ali Baba, magic lamps and genies.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2015 07:28:03
    Yeah they are good stuff. They lend themselves more to be read slowly though - one or two stories a day.
  • BeardedGamerUK 13 Mar 2015 07:54:13 2,184 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Read lots of Terry Pratchett :) \o/
  • HarryPalmer 13 Mar 2015 08:48:09 6,141 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was flying in January but it's dropped off now, I'm think I'm pretty slow and read about 2 a month on average.

Currently reading Carter Beats the Devil, by Glen David Gold. So far it's reminding me of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, which is a good thing.

Then I'm going on a Terry Pratchett binge.
  • JoelStinty 13 Mar 2015 09:20:49 8,922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I finished of soul music, which despite my love of music with rocks in, and Terry pratchett, I don't think it one of his best. Started and finished John Le carre call for the dead which was most excellent.

Started and trying to get used to the flow of writing in Charles Dickens A Tale of Two cities. Finding it hard at the moment. Once I get in a flow it is not too bad. But yeah so many ducking commas.

Edited by JoelStinty at 09:21:35 13-03-2015
  • Deleted user 20 March 2015 06:17:36
    Week 12

Another new week and I'm on 12 books read. Need to check how many pages that is. Still reading vol 1 of The Story of the Stone as I've included some podcast and magazine reading into my commuting time lately (but zero gaming).
  • Deleted user 27 March 2015 06:26:34
    Week 13 begins. So far I've read 13 books and read 4520 pages, getting near to a third of my page target for the year.

I'm currently reading volume 2 of The Story of the Stone. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have any typos.
  • JoelStinty 28 Mar 2015 21:29:55 8,922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished of a tale of two cities which I loved. Now reading and about a third through Stoner by John Williams. It nicely written, but not sure how I feel about it yet.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2015 07:32:35
    Week 14

Continuing to read The Story of the Stone volume 2. Looks like it's going to be quite the tragedy when all is said and done. Seems like Chinese society has a reverence for the seasons and there are many allusions to things like the brevity of life, the briefness and fleeting nature of youth in poems about the passing of the seasons. Spring seems particularly melancholy with the flowering and fading of cherry blossom.
  • JoelStinty 3 Apr 2015 11:25:53 8,922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well... Bloodborne has happened this week.
  • Deleted user 10 April 2015 07:47:42
    Week 15

Have read 14 books so far this year - a total of 5128 pages, so I'm about a third of the way towards my goal. Finished up volume 2 of The Story of the Stone and will start volume 3 this weekend. It's a very easy to read story. Usually classic novels have a formal or antiquated tone or style but the translation is in very modern and readable English. I noted that several tv productions of it have been made in Asian countries but none seem to have English subtitles. I wonder why no one has ever made a mainstream English language version. It'd be fantastic.
  • TOOTR 10 Apr 2015 08:48:10 10,452 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Placeholder while I try and remember what I have read this year:

Definitely this 6

The Book of Strange New Things,
    10% Happier
    Getting the love you want
    The Emperors Blades
    The Providence of Fire
    The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend
  • JoelStinty 10 Apr 2015 09:55:48 8,922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished Stoner by John Williams which I enjoyed. The book is nagging at me, and I kind of want to read it again. Mostly very good. The book follows the gentle life of a university lecturer through out his life. The pace is gentle, and it draws on small but significant details. There are simple passages of prose that are never over wrought.

Started, and almost finished the Ocean at the end of the lane by Neil Gaiman. Tis good. A nice easy to read teenager fantasy book that draws heavily on traditional children stories, but what is impressive is the obstacles that our hero has to come over, mainly glimpses of the adult world. It really simple to read, so much so that I over read it at times. Some well drawn characters really propel this. Kind of imagining it as a studio ghibli film as reading.
  • Deleted user 17 April 2015 07:10:12
    Week 16

Now on 15 books read. Took a short break from The Story of the Stone to read a book about North Korea.
  • Nanocrystal 17 Apr 2015 07:13:55 2,124 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Cleanest Race by any chance?
  • Deleted user 17 April 2015 07:29:18
    No, 'Without You, There Is No Us' by Suki Kim. It's about her experiences of teaching the children of the elite classes in NK.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Jan 2017 20:33:10 6,452 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    While not as popular as '52 games in 52 weeks' I thought I'd resurrect the thread to attempt to get back into more regular reading whilst also not disrupting the 'Rate the last book you read' thread with a bunch of guff. I read 35 books in 2015 and only 20 in 2016. Need to do better this year. Probably won't hit 52 but 30 odd should be doable. First one underway. Can't remember the title but it's about the intelligence of birds.
  • BeebleB 13 Jan 2017 00:41:08 1,328 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Read the second book in the three body problem, the dark forrest. Also Ubik by phillip k dick and the sandcastle by iris Mugdock.

So that's 3 so far I guess.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jan 2017 09:40:19 13,958 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm midway through my fourth of the year but one of them was only about a hundred pages long.

Doing my post-grad study I really slowed down on reading so last year only managed 11, 2015 only 4, 7 in 2014 and 13 in 2013. Before going back to academia I'd probably average somewhere between 30 and 40. Studying kind of ruined my ability to enjoy anything so now its over I figure I'll probably be back up to speed this year. Plus I've got a big 'to read' pile that I'm very keen to get into now I have time.
  • souvlaki 13 Jan 2017 10:35:12 1,042 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just done a quick calculation of last year and I read 41 books.

So far this year :

Flann O'Brien - The Third Policeman
    Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch
    Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    Last Orders - Graham Swift

Currently reading - The secret diary of Hendrik Groen 83.25 years old by Hendrik Groen
  • souvlaki 13 Jan 2017 10:40:06 1,042 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Finished Stoner by John Williams which I enjoyed. The book is nagging at me, and I kind of want to read it again. Mostly very good. The book follows the gentle life of a university lecturer through out his life. The pace is gentle, and it draws on small but significant details. There are simple passages of prose that are never over wrought.
    I read Stoner last year and really enjoyed it. Definitely recommended :)
  • souvlaki 13 Feb 2017 12:42:04 1,042 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So far this year :

Flann O'Brien - The Third Policeman
    Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch
    Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    Last Orders - Graham Swift
    The secret diary of Hendrik Groen 83.25 years old by Hendrik Groen
    Moon over Soho - - Ben Aaronovitch
    Adrift in Soho - Colin Wilson
    The Football Factory - John King
    The Magicians - J.B. Priestley

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.