The 'Read 52 Books in 2015 Challenge' Thread Page 3

• Deleted user 3 January 2015 16:11:35
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Mind you, 'I'm going to read 52 books in 52 weeks' is retarded in the first place. Apart from anything else, why?
    Why do anything? Why not just lie in bed all year in your own filth?
  • Deleted user 3 January 2015 16:53:38
    Wow you're depressing. You've grown out of video games, everyone should only read good literature - you probably think my thomas the tank engine books shouldn't count now either.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2015 17:43:11
    Leaving aside any rancour, I am thoroughly enjoying reading regularly again. That's what some proper time off work allows you.

I won't set myself a numerical target. However I do hope to continue to bounce from great book to great book.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2015 17:47:27
    @dutchspeededup

Sounds good! Enjoying regular reading is what it's all about.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2015 17:58:25
    This Christmas I have read 'A Time of Gifts' by Patrick Leigh Fermor, a travel book about a Europe that is largely gone; a short collection of poems by Pablo Neruda (beautiful and sad), and 'The City and The City' and 'Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.

The last two are works of a fecund imagination, and a stark reminder that fantasy need not be limited to Tolkieny medieval themes.

Next up is some Lermontov.

Yay.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2015 18:04:22
    I'd like to compile a list of 12 to read. So far I have

Cat Sense - John Bradshaw. As recommended in the book thread a couple of years ago. Reading now.
    Heart of Europe - Norman Davies. Discussed with andytheadequate(?) a year or so back. Struggled with the grammar and put it down.
    Grapes of Wrath - John Steinback.
    Something by Herman Hesse (never read anything by him before).
    Something by Lional Davidson (read Kolymski Heights and thought it was great)
    The 'last' of those Thomas Covenant books, even though it's probably crap.
    The Catcher in the Rye.
    Some good Sci-Fi. Dunno what.
    Wolf Hall+Bringing up the Bodies.

Almost 12 already. Suggestions welcome.

Edited by Bremenacht at 03:06:31 04-01-2015
  • JoelStinty 3 Jan 2015 21:30:58 8,922 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't think I be able to read 52, but if I could achieve 30 I be happy.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2015 22:41:54
    It does feel as though this takes some of the joy out of it. But I guess the achievements binder must be fed!
  • FauxyLea 3 Jan 2015 22:52:01 259 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you have the time and inclination, I would highly recommend the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series.

Basic gist of it, is a woman and her husband go on a second honeymoon following the end of world war II, and she gets sucked back 200 years (ish) into the past. That is as sci-fi as it gets, and whilst the plot sounds like a horrendous chick flick stretched out into multiple books the way she writes is fascinating, and you could quite easily be forgiven for believing time travel was possible.

They are incredibly well written and complex. Historically accurate, and politically fascinating. Given that I can't stand history OR politics, I think it says a lot that I couldn't put them down. I'm not quite sure how to describe the books to do them justice, but they get my vote every time.

EDIT: Having just had a google to find out how to actually spell her surname, (pronounced GAB-uhl-dohn) I HAVE JUST FOUND OUT THE SERIES HAS BEEN MADE INTO A TV SHOW. Going to be gutted if it turns out to be crap.

http://www.dianagabaldon.com/books/outlander-series/outlander/

Edited by FauxyLea at 22:54:38 03-01-2015
  • faux-C 3 Jan 2015 22:53:29 11,204 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    It does feel as though this takes some of the joy out of it. But I guess the achievements binder must be fed!
    I made a resolution to keep a reading journal this year anyway, this is just a spinoff for me.
  • andytheadequate 4 Jan 2015 00:41:00 9,211 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Bremenacht - Sad to hear you didn't get on with Norman Davies, I've always found him one of the better historians. I've not read that particular book though so maybe it isn't his best. I'm currently reading Europe by him, as well as a Tom Holt book for when I want to read something a bit lighter.
  • andytheadequate 4 Jan 2015 00:44:38 9,211 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Can anyone recommend an easy sci-fi read to get me going? The last sci-fi I read was the Starcraft 2 manual, and that was like 8 pages long. Wouldn't mind doing some quiet reading for a bit.
    Have you read Ian M Banks? If not then I'd start with him. Or Douglas Adams if you prefer light hearted stuff. Personally I found Dune to be pretty dreadful.

Edited by andytheadequate at 00:45:14 04-01-2015
  • faux-C 4 Jan 2015 01:13:37 11,204 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah Dune isn't exactly a great place to start for easy Sci Fi.

I'd suggest Pohl's Gateway.
  • Deleted user 4 January 2015 02:54:28
    @andytheadequate I barely started it tbf. Just didn't want to read it at the time - particularly the preface about Polish grammar, which I'd almost certainly forget about as soon as the book was finished. Still, it's on my list for this year!
  • Deleted user 4 January 2015 03:04:07
    FauxyLea wrote:
    If you have the time and inclination, I would highly recommend the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series.
    Oh God no - not a series, no thank you. Historical romance isn't something I enjoy anyway.
  • Deleted user 4 January 2015 03:04:52
    OH! The Wolf Hall books. Two more for the list.
  • brigadier 4 Jan 2015 03:55:50 1,036 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Finished Howl's Moving Castle last night. Third time I've read that book, such a great light, funny story. Don't care if it's for teenagers.

Not sure what to read next though.
  • Fourwisemen 4 Jan 2015 08:27:56 913 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some fascinating book and author suggestions here, although some sound like weighty reads.

I'm in a light reading phase so currently in a Harlan Coben series, the Myron Bolitar books. I'm not going to suggest they're his best pieces of work or will change anyone's world but they do allow some opportunity to turn off the mind and escape for a bit.
  • FauxyLea 4 Jan 2015 16:20:08 259 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    History and Politics aren't mine either. If you ever do find the time and wherewithall though, her plotting and writing make it well worth the read.
  • wrinkly 4 Jan 2015 16:24:53 3,721 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Salaman 4 Jan 2015 16:37:54 23,838 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I read a few of these Cornwell books. I have a stack of 6-7 books that I bought so I have a few in reserve, one of them is from him as well.

Just finished a light hearted crime story called Bad Monkey that I picked up in the airport in Warsaw because I forgot the book I was reading at the time and wanted something to read.

About to tuck into The Cuckoo's calling, Rowling under the pseudonym of Robert Galbraith.
  • vijay_UK 4 Jan 2015 21:29:55 3,961 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Can anyone recommend an easy sci-fi read to get me going? The last sci-fi I read was the Starcraft 2 manual, and that was like 8 pages long. Wouldn't mind doing some quiet reading for a bit.Have you read Ian M Banks? If not then I'd start with him. Or Douglas Adams if you prefer light hearted stuff. Personally I found Dune to be pretty dreadful.

I haven't read Iain M Banks at all, I might try something - thanks for the tip. I read Hitchhikers a long time ago, might give it another go.
  • Deleted user 4 January 2015 21:40:17
    Generally read on the way to my girlfriends. Reading a mob killer at the moment, got 4 books for Christmas about various Mafia types.

Is more than 75 pages so definitely counts ;)
  • Nismo400R84 4 Jan 2015 23:20:33 57 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @vijay_UK try Arthur C Clarke 2001 space oddessey four books in all very good.
  • Fab4 5 Jan 2015 08:23:39 8,923 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If you are looking for a time catchup book, try The Restraint of Beasts by Magnus Mills. You could knock that one out in an afternoon. Although you may end up re-reading it, trying to figure out what it was about :)

Also, if you like a bit of period detective work, with a Sherlock Holmes vibe to it, try The Alienist by Caleb Carr. It's a bit more chunky, but a real page-turner.
  • Rens11 5 Jan 2015 13:04:15 1,829 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Since getting a kindle a couple of years ago I've read about 3 books. So hopefully I can at least manage 1 a month!
  • Deleted user 5 January 2015 20:03:45
    4 books, of wildly varying length, read so far this year. I find that if I'm really enjoying a book then reading it becomes almost entirely effortless and the pages fly past. If there's one thing I want to get out of this experiment, it's the ability to be better at finding books that deeply engross me. So far, so good.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.