The 'Read 52 Books in 2015 Challenge' Thread Page 4

• faux-C 6 Jan 2015 11:34:37 11,204 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Ah the Martian is great.
    OMG it really is! Loved it. So compelling.

Now, what to read next?
  • JoelStinty 7 Jan 2015 20:36:49 8,982 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well book one is down. A delicate truth by John le carre. I might start from the beginning with his work thinking about it. Enjoyed it. Took me a while to get into it but it eventually got it hooks into me.

Think I will read 12 years a slave next.
  • Deleted user 7 January 2015 22:25:31
    Book One Down

Stephen Kings Revival. It was o.k. Very Lovecraftian story but pretty hard to recommend. If anyone wants to read it I'm happy to pass it on via the thread.
    On to Embassytown by China Mielville now.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2015 06:21:19
    Week 2

Week 2 begins. So far I've read 4 books and will finish at 5th either today or tomorrow. Then I'll move on to the more challenging reads. Might be off work today because of the stormy weather so may even get more reading done.
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Jan 2015 06:30:10 32,585 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Week one is over!

I finished Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut yesterday. Really did not like it by the end. I loved Slaughterhouse Five, and for the first half of Cat's Cradle I kept wondering when it was going to pick up, then realised it wasn't. It's about a scientist who creates ice-nine, a compound that turns water to ice at room temperature. It's dangerous though, as it would freeze oceans etc if used improperly. A writer tries to learn more about it.

Only that's just the set up. The meat of the story is the writer on a tropical island. Nothing really happens, which is fine, only I didn't get on with Vonnegut's writing style this time. He does great vague, meandering chapters that can be very funny, but here I was just largely bored. I wanted to know more about the ice-nine plot I guess, rather than learn about an island culture.

So wasn't great.
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Jan 2015 06:33:33 32,585 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh! Also finished Horns the week by Joe Hill, so I'm at two.
  • GuiltySpark 9 Jan 2015 07:43:58 6,782 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If anyone's looking for a short horror/sci novel with gut punches ahoy, then if you haven't already, read I Am Legend.
  • jonharrispro 9 Jan 2015 12:26:18 562 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    zoolophage wrote:
    Week 2

Week 2 begins. So far I've read 4 books and will finish at 5th either today or tomorrow. Then I'll move on to the more challenging reads. Might be off work today because of the stormy weather so may even get more reading done.
    What have you done! Im going to have to join this now. DAMN YOU! If im honest I have set myself a target of 10 books on Goodreads and will be chuffed if I can get that far. Unfortunatley I've set myself a poor starting book with Steven Hawkings' A Brief History of Time'!
  • Deleted user 9 January 2015 12:47:29
    I really should finish Proust. Can I do one book in the year?

It's just so... long... :(
  • Dgzter 9 Jan 2015 13:00:27 3,310 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I really should finish Proust. Can I do one book in the year?

It's just so... long... :(
    Remembrance of Things Past? Yeah good luck with that :) book 1 killed me a few years back - fantastic mind.

Think I've made a school-boy error in my early-year choices: dual-wielding Don DeLillo's Underworld and Philip Pullman's edition (really an intro and minor commentary) of Paradise Lost.

Fun times :)

Edited by Dgzter at 13:00:59 09-01-2015
  • Dgzter 9 Jan 2015 13:00:27 3,310 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 9 January 2015 13:01:41
    @RedSparrows No you have to finish it in under an hour according to Leolians_brother.

I'm onto my second novel, and it's a proper adult book too(I think?). High-rise, J G Ballard. Quite good, too. It's still not 2 thousand pages long though.

Edited by super-s1 at 13:02:27 09-01-2015
  • Deleted user 9 January 2015 13:12:56
    jonharrispro wrote:
    zoolophage wrote:
    Week 2

What have you done! Im going to have to join this now. DAMN YOU! If im honest I have set myself a target of 10 books on Goodreads and will be chuffed if I can get that far. Unfortunatley I've set myself a poor starting book with Steven Hawkings' A Brief History of Time'!
    Just try to enjoy reading more regularly so that it becomes a habit, if you want to, of course. Two of the books I've read were very short (a novella and a book of poetry) so it's not very impressive really.
  • Wacko_AK 9 Jan 2015 13:51:11 212 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    1 Book for me on week 1:

Saints of the Shadow Bible by Ian Rankin

I'm not a fanboy of the Rebus series but I always enjoy it, it just happened to be in my local library so took a punt on it.

It's as well written as ever but I sometimes wonder if you get more out of it if you know Edinburgh (I worked there for a few years so know it well enough).

For Week 2/3 I'm going to pick up a few random selections from the library.
  • Dougs 9 Jan 2015 13:57:41 95,479 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I read The Drop by Michael Connelly. Standard fayre really, decent pace and plot, enjoyable if that's what you like (as I do) but ain't going to win many awards other than crime fiction. I did pick up the next in the series though, so it did something right (and since binning paper books from the library I'm well behind with my favourite authors).
  • CharlieStCloud 9 Jan 2015 14:00:04 5,812 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finished this book the other day:

The Narcissism Epidemic

I think LeoliansBro might like it!
  • JuanKerr 9 Jan 2015 14:03:25 37,710 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Foundation trilogy. Asimov being dry, so that later when he turns interesting it seems all the better. Three whole books as well.
    Oooo, thanks for the reminder - I've got these sitting on my bookshelf. Need to read them this year.
  • CharlieStCloud 9 Jan 2015 14:25:59 5,812 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

I was only jesting with you, hence the exclamation mark!

As for books, I am halfway through The Martian given that it is a surprisingly popular choice on here. I like it however, a part of me thinks the journey would be more interesting if it was just about one man on Mars without any contact from Earth and where I am up to, it is hard to see it not being a predictable ending.

... unless it isn't, who knows.
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Jan 2015 14:27:48 32,585 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Oh! Also finished Horns the week by Joe Hill, so I'm at two.
    What did you think? I couldn't stand it .
    Really? I enjoyed it quite a bit! Have you read any other Joe Hill?
  • faux-C 9 Jan 2015 14:28:20 11,204 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    @LeoliansBro

I was only jesting with you, hence the exclamation mark!

As for books, I am halfway through The Martian given that it is a surprisingly popular choice on here. I like it however, a part of me thinks the journey would be more interesting if it was just about one man on Mars without any contact from Earth and where I am up to, it is hard to see it not being a predictable ending.

... unless it isn't, who knows.
    I was disappointed when the Earth bits started appearing but by the end I found they added to the tension and I was glad they were there.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2015 15:15:58
    Fuck it, I'm gonna finish Down and Out in Paris and London by the end of the weekend. Then it's on to a book I got from t'interwebs, should have arrived by then, then I'm gonna cream my way through the Magic Mountain. I need to finish that too, it's bloody brilliant and deserves my time.

/getspumpedforreadingbooyah

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.