Following Recently Completed Games Page 530

• monkman76 8 Jan 2018 09:30:13 12,852 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @UncleLou How is that not difficult then? Genuine question, as I was planning to get it on Switch and play on an easy-ish setting to get the story without the hassle.

Edited by monkman76 at 09:30:34 08-01-2018
  • Monsieur_Blade 8 Jan 2018 09:52:45 456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Monsieur_Blade wrote:
    Wolfenstein II

Really, really enjoyed this and thought the story was great. The only thing that let it down was the 50% health thing for the first part of the game (which I found quite annoying) and the fact that, apart from the shotgun, I found a lot of the guns quite unsatisfying and not meaty enough.

I donít think itís quite as good as TNO but itís still one of my favourite games of 2017.

8.5/10
    Finished this yesterday and I tend to agree. It's a brilliant an remarkably polished game, with some great setpieces. Looks fantastic, and explosions never felt so real. I cringed everytime a bigger enemy blew up near me. I disagree that weapons don't feel meaty enough, I think they're great!

However, for such an enormously polished
    AAA game, the difficulty levels are poorly judged. "Normal" is too easy, and the one(s) above are not difficult, but annoying, because you die *so* quickly.
    Sorry, I probably should have been clearer about the weapons: I thought the shotgun and all the more powerful weapons felt great but I just felt the machine guns and smaller weapons felt off and not very satisfying. Which was a shame, as you donít get access to the meaty weapons till about half way through the game.

Then again, that did make finally getting my hands on a shotgun all the more satisfying!
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Jan 2018 10:15:36 39,525 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    @UncleLou How is that not difficult then? Genuine question, as I was planning to get it on Switch and play on an easy-ish setting to get the story without the hassle.
    Sorry, do you mean the normal difficulty? I've switched to it once to try it because the one I played it at (one notch above normal) annoyed me a bit, but I found it rather easy.

The one I played at simply felt unbalanced - you are too vulnerable, which leads to many situations where you can get pretty much one-shot by any stray bullet. A difficulty level where you can't - at least in theory - avoid death is not a good difficulty level. :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Jan 2018 10:16:27 39,525 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Monsieur_Blade Fair enough! I found that some of them were gerat with a couple of upgrades, though, for example the machine gun with the slower firing bullets is quite good.
  • monkman76 8 Jan 2018 10:18:39 12,852 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You said the ones above normal weren't difficult, you just die too quickly - which sounds like the definition of difficult. Just wondering in what way they're not difficult :)

Edited by monkman76 at 10:21:00 08-01-2018
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Jan 2018 10:28:00 39,525 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @monkman76 Ah, ok, yeah, like I said, it felt poorly balanced. They make your character extremely vulnerable and health/armour almost meanignless - hence the many complaints about getting no feedback if you're hit, I guess.

Obviosuly it *does* make things kind of difficult, but it is not a *fun* or very well thought-out difficulty. You're basically a character out of a military sim like Armed Assault in a pure, over the top action fps. It forces you to play the game in a way it is clearly not meant to be played.

I've also read somewhere that enemies can track you perfectly, which seemed true to me. Counter-example:, Doom 2016 was quite difficult, and you constantly had to be on the move, etc. - great fun. In Wolfenstein, they hit you every time, you can't seem to evade enemy fire unless you're in cover.

Edited by UncleLou at 10:30:49 08-01-2018
  • monkman76 8 Jan 2018 10:45:22 12,852 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers. I'll probably stick to 'normal' for playing handheld on the Switch then :)
  • Bichii 8 Jan 2018 11:35:30 592 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Mario: odyessy

Don't get the fuss. Good fun..

8/10
  • Zomoniac 8 Jan 2018 11:44:31 9,698 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    A good, reasonable post.
  • Red_Bool 8 Jan 2018 15:06:21 1,647 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Xenoblade chronicles 3DS

Picked it up again before Christmas having left it for more than a year. I was completely captivated by it the past 2 weeks. Total play time was around 100 hours apparently. What a great game! Best JRPG I've ever played so far (and yes, that includes FFIX)

Magnificent / 10
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Jan 2018 18:28:52 4,669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hey! Nice to hear you made it to the end. Its still my favourite RPG. I'd recommend it to everyone.
  • Bichii 8 Jan 2018 20:19:28 592 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    The observer.

Excellent. Tense. Interesting story. Poor performance on ps4.
    Not worth the full rrp but is worth it's current sale price.

8/10.
  • LionheartDJH 8 Jan 2018 22:13:30 20,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Long time MGS fan but it took me several instances of extended play followed by breaks for other games to actually finish this.

Fantastic gameplay, it controls brilliantly and usually gives you a whole range of options and freedom to play how you want to (albeit it does push you towards a non-lethal approach with the Mother Base recruiting element).
    It's rare to play a game where every second feels like it means something but you're always progressing towards new upgrades, new recruits, more materials, GMP etc. Actually probably the only instance of free-to-play mechanics that I like, as it seems both realistic and gives you something to look forward to on completing the next mission.

At first I was overwhelmed by all the systems in the game, but once I got used it I loved it, the way weather and time of day can change and be used to your advantage, the fact that enemies react to your tactics (e.g. wearing helmets if you tranq headshot a lot of guards, or wear NVGs if you do a lot of missions at night) and that the continued building of your army and Mother Base has a direct impact on you. This attention to detail is fantastic to see, and helps make the whole thing believable
    The whole meta-game of building an army was a real motivator. Although it is a major disappointment that you never get to fight alongside your soldiers.

It's not perfect on the gameplay front though, the open world is a bit pointless and leads to a lot of unnecessary time spent traversing the terrain or waiting for an extraction. A lot of the side ops are the same copy and pasted few missions and involve a lot of legwork - some of them you will spend more time preparing for and travelling to and from than you do actually completing the mission. And don't get me started on the copy-and-pasted main missions in Chapter 2...

The story is also a major disappointment for any long time MGS fan. The main character rarely speaks or reacts to anything, one of the series' long standing characters is totally different and is given no backstory to why he is in this one (given he was a sort-of-villain in 3), and the rest of the cast I didn't really care for.
    It's quite disjointed and failed to invest me like previous MGS games, the tapes system which replaces the codec as exposition dumps just didn't work for me and it's a shame that you have to listen to them to get the context on what you're doing and why. It's lazy storytelling and reminds me of Final Fantasy XIII's awful encyclopedia.
    There's only a few moments which pack any real emotional punch (there's one outstanding mission that does this very well), and the ending left me very conflicted and without a sense of closure for a series that I have loved for over 15 years.

It's a real shame that Konami pulled the plug on this before Kojima could realise his full ambitions, as I think some of these issues might have been sorted and it could genuinely have been one of the best games ever made. It has all the ingredients for me (80s setting, the untold story of Big Boss, building your army, fantastic emergent gameplay) and it's frustrating that we'll never get what should have been the full experience.

I really wanted to give it a 10, which if the story had been better realised and some of the gameplay issues had been sorted I would have.

As it stands though, while it's still an excellent game that I enjoyed most of my 60 hours with, I think it has left me with a phantom pain of what could have and should have been.

9/10

Edited by LionheartDJH at 22:14:39 08-01-2018
  • ModoX 9 Jan 2018 08:34:30 3,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    The observer.

8/10.
    My wife and I are currently playing through this, picked it up in the sale. I'm enjoying it but did the actual 'observing' bits feel like they dragged on too long? Also stealth bits can do one!
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Jan 2018 08:47:14 2,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    ModoX wrote:
    Bichii wrote:
    The observer.

8/10.
    My wife and I are currently playing through this, picked it up in the sale. I'm enjoying it but I dont like actual gameplay
    FTFY

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 09:15:34 09-01-2018
  • ModoX 9 Jan 2018 09:11:13 3,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 fucked up your quote tags, what an idiot! I'M A VERY STABLE GENIUS
  • Deleted user 9 January 2018 11:11:56
    Nioh.

8/10
  • JoelStinty 11 Jan 2018 17:50:03 6,585 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Splatoon 2

A decent Squidal. As a whole package you can't go wrong, an addictive online multiplayer shooter, and a story mode that is the sum of its parts. The single player is fun, although nothing too special. It is often inventive and it does the job, sometimes a lot better than a lot of Multilayer orientated shooters but It just didn't surprise like the first game, its more of the same and at times it is functional rather than special. But it is a game that is vibrant and with a lot of character and if you get into it, you'll get a lot of mileage out of it.

4/5
  • eshy76 12 Jan 2018 13:15:20 141 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What Remains of Edith Finch

2 hour long interactive story/walking simulator. Nicely told story, but some loose ends not fully explained. Worth the playthrough, but overrated I think.

8/10
  • eshy76 12 Jan 2018 13:23:38 141 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds

I adored the base game and this is a nice slice of extra content - a new map area, some new machines, new weapons/armour and the best snow effects ever seen in a game. The story, while less interesting than the base game still gives a nice adjacent plot line within the same lore. Nice chunky 15 hour play time. Only slight gripe is most of the missions were basically machine fights - not as varied as the main game.

8/10
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Jan 2018 22:45:02 14,313 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    59p? You been going to jumble sales?
  • MadCaddy13 13 Jan 2018 11:08:01 2,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nioh,

Just finished the main game, clocked in at around 70 hours. Done all side missions as well but seems there are a few more after completion. When can you jump into the dlc or are these side missions apart of that?

Anyway, the main game an easy 9.5/10. Absolutely loved it
  • [maven] 13 Jan 2018 13:05:42 5,578 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Picross 3D: Round 2.

So much better than the first (which already was good) due to the 2-colour mechanic. 10/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Jan 2018 15:23:54 3,576 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nioh (PC) - 8/10

Finished the main campaign, but not (yet) done any post-game or DLC missions. A very good game, but with a few glaring weaknesses that hold it back from greatness.

Combat is fluid and fun, but lacks a touch of depth and enemy variety compared to the Souls series. Environment design is a real weakness; a few missions go below the "middling" and into the outright "poor". Too many systems layered on top of each other throughout the game, resulting in complexity rather than depth.

But I still really enjoyed most of it, other than one or two particulary ropey missions.
  • caligari 14 Jan 2018 08:37:22 17,928 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bastion. I own it on the 360 and Steam, but I ended up buying it again on PS4. Finally I don't have to feel guilty whenever I see it being mentioned.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Jan 2018 19:31:32 6,840 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wolfenstein 2

I really dug it but playing so close to New Order gave it a bit of a sense of diminishing returns even if it delivers pretty much everything I grew up enjoying in my FPS games

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.