Following Recently Completed Games Page 535

• UncleLou Moderator 13 Feb 2018 08:47:26 39,451 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hm, three colossi in, can't say it feels dated to me at all - on the contrary, I am amazed how fresh and original it feels.

Camera isn't ideal, but still a masterpiece compared to Monster Hunter World's camera if you're locked on (or ride the back of a monster, so I am used to that I guess...
  • ghearoid 14 Feb 2018 09:22:20 2,959 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fire Emblem Warriors Switch

The first week, I didn't particularly enjoy this and I would just do one map a day to slowly progress. However, once I got chapter 12 and couldn't beat it, I went back and learned the controls, how to read the map, the (unintuitive) interface etc properly and started to really have fun with the game.

There is a crap ton of content here and I'm going to keep hold of my game card for future map replays. Hell, I may even buy the DLC. A very pleasant surprise.

8/10
  • dominalien 15 Feb 2018 07:40:35 8,530 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Steins;Gate 0 on PS Vita

I'm a bit torn about this one. On the one hand, it was great revisiting the fun characters and it can be properly gripping once it gets going, but on the other it was really a boring slog to get through sometimes. I think the impact is lessened considerably knowing it's all for naught and he has to go back to the original game to try again anyway. I liked how the divergent paths were clearly signposted now instead of the impenetrable mess the first games' were, but I still needed a diagram to keep track of what I needed to click, as the game doesn't show previous choices in any way. Also, the impact of picking up a phone call or not was so far out on situations, characters and relationships that I found largely disconnected from any cause-effect there might have been and just took all the bizarre developments in stride.

Overall, of the 45+ hours it took me to read through all the storylines, maybe half of them were fun.

6/10, but still pretty much essential if you're into this kind of thing.
  • ghearoid 16 Feb 2018 18:33:04 2,959 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pokémon Sun

I haven't played a Pokémon game since Diamond so I was looking forward to this. It's alright but a lot easier than I remembered the old Gameboy games were. Yeah, I know, it's for kids. :)

8/10
  • Monsieur_Blade 17 Feb 2018 18:55:05 456 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Last Guardian

I started this about a year ago but played about the first third of the game and then got distracted by Horizon ZD. With Shadow of the Colossus Remastered coming out though I promised myself I'd finish this before treating myself to SOTC.

Just completed it this evening and really loved it overall! Yes, there's certain sections where Trico is a bit of a pain to direct and I didn't really like the grabby enemies at all but overall I thought it was a really unique game and I felt a really strong connection to Trico.

The camera could also be a bit of a pain but I just thought the game had so much charm and character that it made me forgive the odd irritation.

8/10

Now bring on SOTC!!! :D
  • Fonzie 18 Feb 2018 00:17:36 3,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Salt and Sanctuary.

Only had real trouble with one boss (Witch of the Lake) but overall it was enjoyable. Had no real desire to go back and play NG+ straight after finishing it but may well do at some point. Fun game with tight controls but felt I was rushing to finish it towards the end.

A solid 7/10.
  • JiveHound 18 Feb 2018 01:04:24 9,423 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ghearoid I'm having trouble consolidating 'it's alright' and 8/10
  • kentmonkey 18 Feb 2018 12:30:40 22,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Great Tournament (Android)

Very enjoyable interactive story game, just like the old (if you're as old as me) 'pick a choice and go to page x' books of old.

Interesting enough tale, and choices do impact on the overall ending. And at about 4-5 hours long, a decent length as well (subsequent playthroughs could probably be done in less than 2 hours though, due to the little need to re-read whole pages of text).

It does feel as though it would be hard to get a 'good' ending, though.

Was heading for a 9/10 but...two things lowered the overall rating:

1) The last third isn't up to the standard of the first 2/3 of the 'book'. It feels rushed, and there are less actions that you feel as though you are in control of.
    2) They're are so meny spelling mistaces and gramatikal errors through out the story that it bee comes really difficult to reed at thymes.

But well worth a playthrough and, for the most part, more enjoyable than my final score might suggest

7/10
  • uiruki 18 Feb 2018 19:40:51 4,517 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    3) Atelier Lydie and Suelle - Switch - 3/5

Definitely an improvement on the previous game but still a long way from the heights of the Dusk series, which are some of my favourite JRPGs ever.

Not a great start with some initially hard-to-like characters but it's pretty good once it picks up, only to have all the wind sucked out of it by a massive, gigantic difficulty spike right at the end.
  • MadCaddy13 18 Feb 2018 20:15:24 2,875 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sniper Elite 4

8/10

Thoroughly enjoyable with a couple of niggles
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Feb 2018 21:33:30 3,281 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @uiruki I was mulling over that one. How bastard-nasty are the triggers for any of the decent endings? I've enjoyed previous Atelier games but the need to do umpteen playthroughs to see half the content has always grated with me.
  • uiruki 18 Feb 2018 23:23:00 4,517 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @uiruki I was mulling over that one. How bastard-nasty are the triggers for any of the decent endings? I've enjoyed previous Atelier games but the need to do umpteen playthroughs to see half the content has always grated with me.
    It all splinters off right at the end of the game - it's hard to miss as long as you keep going through with top grades. No time limits or anything. You can get everything in one playthrough, but obviously clearing up all the stuff you need for the non-standard endings will take a while.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Feb 2018 23:34:31 3,281 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @uiruki Ok, that sounds much less annoying than some of the older games. I may give it a whirl, when I'm done with Super Robot Wars V.
  • Hicksy 19 Feb 2018 21:02:50 2,620 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Wolfenstein 2 (PS4)

Main story line... 8/10

Super Metroid (SNES Mini)

9.5/10

Zelda - Link To The Past (SNES Mini)

9.5/10
  • Stuz359 19 Feb 2018 22:50:48 116 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Arkham Origins

Big fan of the rocksteady games but for some reason never picked this up. After playing through the first two again via Return to Arkham, decided to give this a play through.They definitely went more Nolan Batman in this one, never quite hit the heights of the others, but the boss fights are the best in the series. Riddler trophies were a bit easy in this one too, but the crime scene stuff was pretty cool and a precursor for those I. arkham
    Knight. Solid 8/10.

Just a side noted, decided to play this via PS now. Thought I would give the seven day trial a go. Actually very impressive, only a couple of issues with from rate drops and artifacting in a twenty five hour play through. Quite tempted to subscribe, though probably not to be used for beat em ups and shoot em ups.
  • Rhaegyr 20 Feb 2018 11:18:57 4,363 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Resident Evil 7

Absolutely fantastic for the first two thirds and then takes quite a nosedive when you leave the house. Whoever thought it'd be a good idea to throw enemies at you near the end needs a slap - it completely went against the tone and with the shooting mechanics being average it didn't feel empowering, just fiddly and awkward. The family and environments were brilliant, the stock enemies and last third of the game less so. Still, it's the best RE has been since #4.

7/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 Feb 2018 22:56:48 3,281 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition - 8/10

It's an awesome game in many respects and the gunplay is second to none. A few minor quibbles holding it back from a higher score:

1) 360-era design trait - horribly linear levels
    2) 360-era design trait - 3-weapon limit
    3) The Duke Nukem mode is terrible

But overall, an excellent update to a title that deserved to do much better than it actually did.
  • FuzzyDucky 23 Feb 2018 01:48:18 3,164 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition - 8/10

It's an awesome game in many respects and the gunplay is second to none. A few minor quibbles holding it back from a higher score:

1) 360-era design trait - horribly linear levels
    2) 360-era design trait - 3-weapon limit
    3) The Duke Nukem mode is terrible

But overall, an excellent update to a title that deserved to do much better than it actually did.
    It'd be piss poor with open levels though. Almost every encounter is a setpiece.

If you clear it once you unlock Overkill mode which lets you equip all weapons at all times. Plus if you pull off every Skill Shot with a particular weapon it gives you infinite ammo. I'd opine that unlocking that and then playing the game on Hardest is the real playthrough.
  • DjFlex52 23 Feb 2018 03:33:25 287 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stuz359 wrote:
    Arkham Origins

Big fan of the rocksteady games but for some reason never picked this up. After playing through the first two again via Return to Arkham, decided to give this a play through.They definitely went more Nolan Batman in this one, never quite hit the heights of the others, but the boss fights are the best in the series. Riddler trophies were a bit easy in this one too, but the crime scene stuff was pretty cool and a precursor for those I. arkham
    Knight. Solid 8/10.
    Origins was developed by Splash Damage not Rocksteady.
  • H1ggyLTD 23 Feb 2018 07:15:32 9,170 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Isn't the Duke Nukem mode just a voice over?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Feb 2018 09:22:53 3,281 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @H1ggyLTD Yes. That would be ok in itself, but it's a badly done and badly implemented voice-over that isn't meshed in properly with the rest of the game.
  • Malek86 24 Feb 2018 00:15:55 6,962 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Overlord Dark Legend (Wii)

If you have played Overlord, then you know what to expect... but it's shorter and more linear, the difficulty is near non-existant, the graphics look like PS2 while still managing to run like crap, the story is not as funny, and the game ends abruptly without a real climax.

The Wii had a reputation as the console that got the kiddies' version of HD games, and while said reputation wasn't entirely deserved, games like Overlord didn't help any.

In almost 7 hours, I finished the game, bought all the power-ups, and had my Wii U freeze three times.

5/10

I'm a bit more interested in the Minions DS spinoff, so I might pick it up eventually.

Edited by Malek86 at 00:16:32 24-02-2018
  • Bichii 24 Feb 2018 07:05:48 550 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Monster hunter.

Brilliant game. Didn't like it the first ten hours, loved the next forty. Hated the last ten..
  • dominalien 24 Feb 2018 10:46:02 8,530 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    God of War: Ascension on PS3

Brilliant fun and great spectacle. It does have a bit of an identity crysis: it's as straightforward a hack-and-slasher as they come, brutal and sexual to appeal to the most common denominator, but when it gives you a puzzle it'll be pretty complex and interesting, much more so than anything that can be found in, say, an Uncharted. I loved the combination, but I wonder how many people just looked up the solution to get on with it.

It's pretty much devoid of challenge, too, at least on Normal, showering you with health and frequent checkpoints, but then, all of a sudden, it forces you to actually learn to fight and conserve health in an extended section. And then the ending is easy again. Won't complain though, not after another GoW I was playing on PS2 which was fine up until the last boss fight when I suddenly had to retry it something like 30 times. I don't remember if it was 1 or 2, but it was the one with the really big sword.

Performance is not great, it's very clear the PS3 is struggling with all the detail. It's also quite interesting in how on a close-up it can look much more detailed than the 720p is was displaying at (Kratos' skin is especially good), only to disintegrate into a mess of shimmering and huge pixels on far-away scenery in the next shot.

I also liked the twist with the sex from previous games. Well done there.

Overall, I'm really glad I finally got around to playing it as it's just great.

VERRY RECOMEDEDED, or a high 8/10

Edited by dominalien at 10:46:55 24-02-2018
  • H1ggyLTD 24 Feb 2018 10:49:29 9,170 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @H1ggyLTD Yes. That would be ok in itself, but it's a badly done and badly implemented voice-over that isn't meshed in properly with the rest of the game.
    If i haven't played the original version, will i notice how bad it is?

I kind of just wanted to play it as a Duke Nukem game.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Feb 2018 12:08:39 3,281 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @H1ggyLTD You'll notice in places that NPC dialogue just seems weird and disjointed with Duke as the main character. Not in every scene, but certainly in a substantial minority.
  • H1ggyLTD 24 Feb 2018 12:13:41 9,170 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    goddammit
  • uiruki 24 Feb 2018 17:56:24 4,517 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    4) Bayonetta 2 - Switch - 5/5

Fantastic action game, running better than ever on Switch. the decreased loading times felt like a big upgrade, almost as big as the generally smoother framerate. In portable mode it's simultaneously the most and least appropriate game to play on a commute. Classic!
  • TheHammerite 24 Feb 2018 19:14:42 2,841 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Evil Within 2 9/10

Survival horror done right. Brilliant story and cutscenes. Enjoyed it from start to finish.
  • OnlyJoeKing 24 Feb 2018 20:21:47 543 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finally got round to finishing Zelda: BotW. It was, of course, wonderful.

Notable, I suppose, in that after playing for hours upon hours and getting through two of the divine beasts, the urge to play dropped off a bit, and I had to push myself to finish it. I think that speaks to how the world, the systems, the exploration etc are the real stars, rather that the story.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.