Recently Completed Games Page 541

• TheHammerite 7 Apr 2018 18:12:30 2,845 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Revenge of Shinobi

Finally completed this! It's still just as playable as it always was. I love how it features Spiderman, Batman, Rambo, and Godzilla.

Shinobi needs to reclaim his crown from Ninja Gaiden

9/10
  • RobAnybody 8 Apr 2018 11:19:48 1,548 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Minit

This game is amazing ........ not much to look at but wow, does it get the gameplay just right. Even the soundtrack is excellent. Gameplay time is about 2 to 3 hours, cost is £6.99 (available from gog.com, Steam, etc)

An easy 9/10 from me, but just read the Destructoid review for a better overview:

https://www.destructoid.com/review-minit-497030.phtml

It's available for PC, PS4, Xbox One, MacOS, Linux (no Switch version yet, the game was made in Game Maker Studio and that's only just got Switch support, this hopefully means that a Switch version will be available in the not too distant future).

Edited by RobAnybody at 13:09:48 08-04-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Apr 2018 12:21:41 3,357 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash (PC) - 4/10

This was not a good game. It's annoying, because Estival Versus genuinely was a good game; a tightly-tuned Musou-style brawler with the best and most responsive controls in the whole genre, a huge range of playstyles and a daft-but-fun story.

PBS, by contrast, is a really, really bad third person shooter, with floaty movement, shite aiming (and a near-absolute need to use the overwhelming auto-aim), muddled mechanics and an irritating power-up cards system right out of a pay-to-win game (though this isn't actually pay-to-win). The storyline is still generally entertaining silliness, which earns it a few points, but otherwise, it's a really poor entry in the series.
  • Subquest 9 Apr 2018 15:01:17 379 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dishonored 2 (PC) - 7/10

I left it long enough for Arkane to patch this up, and indeed it was flawless and beautiful at 1440p. But the game failed to grip me, and instead of enjoying the ride to its conclusion, I sometimes had to force myself to load it up. The problem lies in the either/or choice of stealth vs carnage. Unless you choose carnage from the start, which is not my natural inclination when stealth is an option, you are punished in terms of story outcome if carnage happens. So you reload and reload again until you get it right. Which isn't much fun.

My advice? Kill everything. Enjoy yourself and don't worry that the story will turn you into a monster. Because playing stealthily leaves you reloading way past the point of enjoyment and the game becomes a slog.
  • JoelStinty 10 Apr 2018 06:33:21 6,330 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yakuza 0

A mixed bag. There has been a lot of ' i don't play games for the story' nonsense pop up in some reviews over the last couple of years, but here is a case where without the story i'd be pretty bored overall. Yakuza 0's story is for the most part, excellent, its characterisations and dialogue fully formed, interesting , and engaging. As a Yakuza first timer, i really got to know the characters and really want to play the other 5 games to see where the series goes. It's fantastic.

Unfortunately, the gameplay isn't great. It's serviceable. It's main stay is its street brawling , were every so often you'd be ambushed by goons, thugs or other Yakuza where you engage in a fights. Which is pretty decent, certain fight styles are better than others for certain enemies, and its presented really well, resulting in some brutal finishing moves or heat moves. It's satisfying. But after the newness wears off, it starts to feel routine and you just need to get through them to get to the next bit. They're pretty easy and don't offer much of a challenge after the first section of the game where you get used to everything.

Between all this , is a rich, detailed sections of tokoyo to explore. Which is really impressive. Lights, sounds, people, i think out of any game i played you get a real sense of being somewhere. Side quests are offered here, which are often humorous and completely off the wall out there, giving the game time to let you have fun. Quests aren't too hard, often fetch quest or beating up people.

I think that actually reads better than what i think of the game at the moment. I enjoyed the story a lot, so much so that i am willing to play the series despite my misgivings about the gameplay. The game is rather dense and i had to break down it's early game time with it in 45 minute chunks but at times i struggled with the gameplay side.

3.5/5
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 Apr 2018 08:07:27 39,451 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @JoelStinty Yeah, I felt very much the same way, and yet, playing the Yakuza 6 demo recently, I noticed I actually ... miss the gameworld, and Yakuza 6 is a day one game for me. :)
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Apr 2018 08:54:39 2,488 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Pyre - 8/10

Such a good game, I never expected to finish as i found the rites very stressful and put the game down with my first 6 rites won. However, i picked it up again last week and powered through winning all but 1 (i clicked on a few too many titan stars) and getting a really good ending. The characters are superb and i enjoyed learning about them and the world.
  • JoelStinty 10 Apr 2018 10:23:26 6,330 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @UncleLou yeah the first thing I did after completing zero is watch the story trailer for Kiwami. Think Iíll pick that up later this year!
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 Apr 2018 10:36:08 39,451 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, Kiwami would be the logical next one to play, I guess, but I don't think I can wait until they published all the Kiwami games 1 to 5, actually play them, and *then* play 6.

Demo of 6 is quite cool, and the upgraded physics help the "feel" of the brawls quite a bit.
  • Stranded87 12 Apr 2018 21:35:22 1,791 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Killing Time at Lightspeed

Love the idea of this. The execution could be better - the writing is decent but lacks slightly for powerful moments, but it's absolutely worth the couple of hours it takes to play.

7/10
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Apr 2018 01:12:57 22,189 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yakuza 0

+Fantastic story and characters
    +Combat is great fun
    +Kuze
    +Stunning visually when it comes to character faces, cut scenes etc.
    +Battering Kuze
    + Very funny

- Technical issues with tearing and framerate
    - Core Gameplay not as good as the story, characters, journey etc.

I loved it, combat definitely has some issues but it's great fun and made me laugh more than any other game. So tempted to play Kiwami right away but I really should go back to Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

9/10

• Reacher 14 Apr 2018 00:49:14 2,693 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just finished Superhot VR

Arguably the best VR game with the move controllers, I loved every bit of it.
  • H1ggyLTD 14 Apr 2018 00:53:07 9,207 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheHammerite wrote:
    Revenge of Shinobi

Finally completed this! It's still just as playable as it always was. I love how it features Spiderman, Batman, Rambo, and Godzilla.

9/10
    You must not have heard of a little game called...Shadow Gangs.
  • JoelStinty 14 Apr 2018 08:53:35 6,330 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

Hmm odd. I didnít notice any tearing or frame rate drops ( apart from one section , I think fighting inside one time towards the end).

I was playing on a base PS4 too. Then again I donít Notice those things too much.

Anyway Celeste

Inventive and challenging platormer that is also thankfully fun,which revolves around a double jump mechanic. Each level introduces a new idea and it plays around with that idea for what are surprisingly large and open levels. Thereís a lot of running from left to right but also an metroidvania lite openness where levels open up and encourages you to explore your surroundings.

Story is what it is, certainly not pretentious or hipster wank as described on the last page. It has something to say and itís an honest and relatable account that does have more to say than the obvious overtones of its premise.

Music and graphics are fantastic. The art design in particular. What some people do with pixel art is fantastic and this one that manages to stand out from the crowd. Itís beautiful at times.

The trail and error nature of the gameplay will irk some people. Itís similar to super meat boy in that itís a quick death game. I think my final tally was 3000. But it also makes it rewarding when you can beat a
    Segment you were struggling on or you go for an extended period without dying. Controls and precise and sharp; although the switches analog sticks are sensitive and a fair few numbers of deaths were down to my thumbs naturally drawing them in a direction which I didnít intend.

4/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 08:55:26 14-04-2018
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Apr 2018 09:31:20 22,189 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you run along the street and move the camera horizontally it tears a lot.
    Did for me on my tard PS4 anyway.
  • uiruki 14 Apr 2018 21:54:29 4,522 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    15 - Ys Seven - PC - 4/5

If Origin was a high 4, almost a 5, this was a low 4, though not really in danger of becoming a 3. A very good game overall but felt stretched out a bit in the last third and the party system was on the edge of getting a bit too fiddly. Super solid PC port, worked great throughout with no glitches (though running at 4k was 'interesting' graphically!).
  • Malek86 15 Apr 2018 19:18:32 6,972 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

If 3D Land was a bit too restrictive, and 3D World was ultimately forgettable, Odyssey is where Nintendo finally nails it again. Sandbox design that encourages exploration and thinking, great controls, amazing presentation and tons of ideas. It builds on Mario 64, becomes its own thing, and then eventually converges back to it.

I can't find too many faults. I guess some of the worlds aren't quite as fun as the others, and the camera occasionally screws you up. It's all nitpicking though. This is platforming at its finest, and I say this as someone who doesn't like most of what Nintendo usually offers.

The only reason I'm not giving it a 10, is because the game never really manages to build tension. It's more like a playground, often too easy and occasionally frustrating. My favorite platformers are Rayman and Abe's Exoddus, and they definitely demanded more of the player - but they were also more satisfying in the long run.

9/10
  • JoelStinty 15 Apr 2018 19:28:35 6,330 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There is some stuff post game that is more demanding - i wouldn't say too much, but it just gets more inventive and fun to play. It is definitely worth playing through to its proper conclusion. Having said i can see why people would be worn out by the collectathon nature of it, but if you click with it, it just get better and better.
  • wobbly_Bob 15 Apr 2018 20:09:55 4,450 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yesterday me and the other half completed Rime. We both really enjoyed it. The art and music created a wonderfully beautiful world to wander through. The puzzles are gentle as is the pace. Such a relaxing game. The gameplay is a bit simplistic and samey but the beautiful world and story, for us at least, overcomes it's short comings. 8/10

Just completed Bloodborne \o/ great game but not at all relaxing! Loved it but kind of glad it's over now. I think I enjoyed this better thank the later souls games but the first first souls is the best. Love the lovecraftian feel. 9/10
  • Chug666 15 Apr 2018 22:25:33 427 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob I've just finished Rime myself (credits are rolling as I type). I loved it, found it really quite moving and the sound in particular was ace. Nice length too, didn't have too much filler so the story moved forward (I did intentionally ignore all the collecty bits though).

I'm going to go 9/10, I thought I'd like it but it exceeded expectations.
  • Nanocrystal 16 Apr 2018 00:10:37 1,690 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wasteland 2 (PS4)
    Crashes became so frequent towards the end that at one point I deleted it in a huff, only to reinstall it the next day and slog on to the end regardless. I guess that says something. Bugs, crashes and some controller-bitingly frustrating difficulty spikes aside, it was a great game. Reminded me a lot of Fallout New Vegas in that it had heaps of factions you could choose to side with, play off against each other, or forge peace with, and choices felt meaningful and had consequences (alternatively, you can just kill everyone). Unfortunately those crashes really soured the experience for me. If not for that I'd probably play through it a second time. Pillars of Eternity next!
  • docrob 16 Apr 2018 16:23:31 888 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    XCOM 2 - War of the Chosen (PC)

Finally got around to finishing this off today. Fittingly for XCOM, the shot that won the game for me was fired by a Dominated Archon and had a 25% hit chance. Now that's karmic payback.

This game more or less encapsulates everything I love about gaming. I'm going to dock it half a point because the Chosen missions and the final mission were a bit repetitive.

9.5/10
  • TheHammerite 16 Apr 2018 22:54:31 2,845 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    TheHammerite wrote:
    Revenge of Shinobi

9/10
    You must not have heard of a little game called...Shadow Gangs.
    It features Shinobi? I've seen a few pics only.
  • lordofdeadside 18 Apr 2018 13:03:20 1,320 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mass Effect Andromeda

I'd not rushed to get this after the lack lustre reviews, but I quite enjoyed it.

A lot of the game feels like it needed six months more development, it's so nearly there that it's a shame it didn't get a bit more polish. The faces and dialogue in particular need an extra pass, they often undermine moments in the story with their gurning and off kilter delivery.

There are also a lot of dull, fetch quest missions which make large sections of the game pretty tedious. However, there are some really good story and loyalty missions however, I particularly enjoyed the Virmire esque mission half way through and the suitably climatic end level. Both the new race and the bad guys are great and their stories have some interesting twists and turns too.

7.5/10
  • uiruki 21 Apr 2018 10:06:30 4,522 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    16. Hyrule Warriors - Switch - 5/5

A huge upgrade over the Wii U version. Portable mode runs at about teh same rate I think, but on a screen you get much smoother (though still rarely 60fps) update. The amount of stuff to do is borderline parody level, the characters have satisfying differences betwen one another (though that means there are definitely some rubbish characters) and the game does a good job of balancing being able to do what you like and running around like a madman saving people. I think I enjoy the gameplay of Fire Emblem a little more thanks to the good quality AI direction, but the overall game structure, volume and some of the moment-to-moment action is superior in this. If you're after a Musou game on Switch this is at the top of the list (though I haven't played One Piece 3, possibly my all-time favourite, as I already bought that thing three times on the Playstation systems!)
  • Mola_Ram 21 Apr 2018 10:40:28 17,777 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Eh? Is that out on Switch yet? The release date here isn't until May. :(
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 21 Apr 2018 11:57:28 31,952 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They got it in March. MARCH. I find that unacceptable, and will definitely boycott it until May at the earliest. Sure, that may be when it's out here anyway, but it's still a valid boycott as long as I don't import it for Japan.
  • Mola_Ram 21 Apr 2018 12:00:38 17,777 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wow, that's fucking bullshit.
  • uiruki 21 Apr 2018 16:01:27 4,522 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Different publishers too - it's a Koei game in Japan and Nintendo in the West.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.