Recently Completed Games Page 542

• THFourteen 21 Apr 2018 21:54:39 48,249 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shadowrun Dragonfall

Extremely engaging storyline even for a game that isn't voice acted. A lot of choice as you go through the game which ultimately i'm told doesn't have a massive bearing on the ending, which is how i like my games. Perhaps a touch easy on Normal, but who needs a challenge.

Loved it, 8/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Apr 2018 22:55:45 3,357 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Neon Chrome - 9/10

This was a pleasant surprise, given I found it by picking a random game I hadn't played before from my Steam list. It's from the developers of Crimsonland and is a top-down shooter with a very similar control scheme and some familiar weapons. This, however, isn't an arena-shooter, but rather a semi-roguelike. Levels are partially procedurally generated (though some are fixed) and the game is based around a large tower block where you have to progress through the floors.

By "completed", in this instance, I mean "beat vanilla NG". There are very obvious NG+ options where a lot of the game's mechanics actually unlocks. But I've done my first full playthrough, so figured it was worth a post here.
  • Phattso 22 Apr 2018 13:00:17 23,098 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finally finished Everybody's Gone to the Rapture yesterday morning, to dissuade me from a digital purchase of God of War 4. :-D

What a wonderful experience that was. I might even crack through it again just to find more of the diaries and wotnot. Amazing sense of place.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 Apr 2018 13:21:37 3,357 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Phattso Well done.

Now buy God of War 4.
  • uiruki 25 Apr 2018 12:39:03 4,522 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    17. God of War - PS4 - 5/5

Takes a long while to spin up but it definitely gets there in the end. They could have done with making the first ten hours or so about half as long as they were, and they need better fast travel. I don't mind if it compromises ~your artistic vision~, I don't want to have to run for two minutes to teleport to my next objective!

Combat is slow and boring at first but both move lists and enemy encounters improve in the end. Towards the end I was finally starting to have fights where I felt like I'd managed to completely deny the enemy any chance due to skill and field management, a key in action games. The encounter density also becomes much better; again, going back to the start of the game there was a five hour stretch or so where it felt like everything was really spaced out and it felt like there was a lot more talking than fighting. I'm still not convinced of the equipment system either, aside from a simple "number go up" thing. Some of the later runic attacks are properly good though.

The story works at least reasonably well throughout and there are plenty of good character moments, especially again in the second half. I thought they did a good job with the tone, too, considering the material they were aiming for.

So overall, yeah, I'd give it a 5. If you'd asked me ten hours in it'd have been a 3. From what I've seen from other people's impressions, there are a couple of turning points for them, and it was the second one which worked for me.
  • DUFFMAN5 25 Apr 2018 12:46:23 22,833 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Finally finished Everybody's Gone to the Rapture yesterday morning, to dissuade me from a digital purchase of God of War 4. :-D

What a wonderful experience that was. I might even crack through it again just to find more of the diaries and wotnot. Amazing sense of place.
    Good lad ;)
    Wonderful game and just how good is that soundtrack...I bought it on cd about 10 mins after hearing it!
  • DangerousDave_87 25 Apr 2018 15:52:10 4,403 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RIVE (Switch)

It's been in my backlog since the day it released. I snapped it up immediately, but it released around the time I was finishing up Zelda and moving on to Mario. It's a great game made with a lot of passion, but it's certainly on the short side. It took about 3 and half hours to complete on Normal mode.

I'm actually ok with that. Any longer and it may have outstayed it's welcome. There's a harder difficulty, a speed-run mode and various challenges and endless modes to play with. The leaderboards should keep me entertained, too.
  • evild_edd 25 Apr 2018 22:40:34 3,935 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    Shadow tactics: blades of the shogun

Absolutely fantastic successor to the Commandos games, a lot of variety in the missions, great characters and really satisfying puzzle stealth action

You will wear out the F5 and F8 keys on your keyboard though
    I remembered this review from a few pages back, as well as a couple of positive comments backing it up.

It's under a tenner on psn (for plus members) at the minute so I've given it a shot... By which I mean it's added to the backlog of shame.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 27 Apr 2018 09:28:51 402 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Shadowrun Dragonfall

Extremely engaging storyline even for a game that isn't voice acted. A lot of choice as you go through the game which ultimately i'm told doesn't have a massive bearing on the ending, which is how i like my games. Perhaps a touch easy on Normal, but who needs a challenge.

Loved it, 8/10
    I wish I was able to persevere with this. Must've started and abandoned it four times ... there are so many stats to level up and I have no idea which ones to pick. Also have difficulty understanding those technical terms and classes and whatnot (never played the original). At least the geek in me can see the game's appeal.
  • uiruki 28 Apr 2018 22:06:45 4,522 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    18. Panzer Dragoon Orta - Xbox - 4/5

Works great in Xbox One compatibility mode. I think I saw two small stutters through my entire playthrough. Quite short, but the right length. I thought there were a few too many things that were hard to evade with the controls, but after playing Crimson Dragon I definitely think the essence of the game is to keep that tied with the aiming, to keep the player only in direct control of the aiming reticle.

Great soundtrack - great audio overall in fact - gives the whole thing an extra punch (again, CD has weak lockon and fire sounds which completely ruins the impact), and there is loads of extra stuff there to fill in the story. It's the kind of package you'd expect from a remaster, rather than an original release. I'd say to anyone who's even remotely interested to give it a go, whether from a place of curiosity about the Xbox compatibility, people curious as to how it's held up or people who've never tried this kind of rail shooter.
  • LionheartDJH 29 Apr 2018 12:13:20 19,969 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Last Guardian - 8/10

Wanted to play this for ages, finally got it for £15 which was my sweet spot. Played Shadow of the Colossus before it and was nice to see some subtle links to that game in this one.

Love the Team ICO/Gen approach of not telling the story at you, but you actually experiencing the story through gameplay. The bond built with Trico throughout was a great experience and it gave me the intended emotional payoff in the dramatic moments and at the end. Felt a bond and a loyalty with Trico that hasn't been done by many other games.

Gameplay wise, a mixed bag. The puzzles were good on the whole, although occasionally seemed a bit obscure and one near the end in particular was tedious. I liked how the game was one continuous journey and the pacing is generally good, bombast followed by quiet moments.

The controls and camera are woeful though and added unnecessary frustration. It was also very annoying to have tutorial prompts telling you what button to press still appearing hours into the game with no way to switch them off. The controls are old school SOTC PS2, and seems strange that they don't allow you to remap them.

The animation is fantastic, however also leads to imprecise control at times, adding frustration to platforming segments or times when you have to mount Trico.

I'm undecided on the Trico AI. On the one hand, I admire the fact that he doesn't always do what you want him to, and it's like he's a real animal with a mind of his own. On the other hand however, it is frustrating when you want to progress and he doesn't do what you want him to time and again.

I read somewhere that someone recommended playing this in a few sittings of a couple of hours, so that the frustrations don't sour the experience, and I have to agree that's probably the best way to go.

However, despite the frustrations of the gameplay, the story and bond formed with Trico throughout the journey is a unique experience and worth seeing through.

Never Alone + Foxtales DLC - 7/10

Don't usually play platformers or indie games, but I was interested in this one after reading about its depiction of a culture that I know very little about.

It's a really charming little game, short and sweet. A relaxing playthrough, and I enjoyed the switching between the girl and the fox to progress through the levels, as well as the variety of mechanics which kept it fresh throughout the 3/4 hour playtime.

I had a lot more fun than I expected to from a type of game I normally wouldn't play and it was well worth the few quid it cost in the PSN sale. I'll be loading it back up to watch all the documentary videos at some point too.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Apr 2018 23:58:40 6,502 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Resident Evil 7

Replay confirming it as one of the top two or three games in the series for me. Such a great sense of place, the atmosphere is thick and the chills real.

Would probably put it only behind the REmake and 2. Unless you're counting the REmake and 1 as the same game.

9/10
  • Malek86 1 May 2018 10:16:31 6,972 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox)

Holds up well, if only because there aren't all that many rail shooters around.

Compared to the previous games, they have one too many mechanics to keep track of, especially the boost/slow methods which are not even available with the heavy wing. The separate evolutions also mean that you could technically get in trouble later on if you neglect one form too much, as they are all useful. The game also has a steeper difficulty curve than usual for the series, but since you can easily retry a level without getting a huge hit to your score, that's not bad.

The graphics look nice if somewhat blocky (all things considered I've seen better, even on the Xbox), but the liberal use of motion blur gets a bit annoying. The soundtrack is nice too, if somewhat understated in comparison to the first game.

For some extra fun, try the different dragons available in Pandora's Box mode. The Panzerwing from PD2 is very powerful, while the Blue Dragon from PD1 has no overdrive but will melt just about every boss in seconds.

8/10
  • Jono62 1 May 2018 13:35:17 19,872 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oxenfree - Nintendo Switch 9/10

An enjoyable romp where the voice acting is king. The story is of 5 friends who travel to an island for a party and during this, hilarity ensues of the supernatural kind.

It's really well done and kept me engrossed to finish the game. The voice acting is amazing and makes the characters feel real. Looks like I missed a lot things out so will replay. One issue I had was the screen froze for a couple seconds when moving to different areas and loading times were very slow. However it is a recommend from me.
  • Malek86 1 May 2018 16:17:46 6,972 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm on a roll today.

D (PC)

For all the praise Kenji Eno gets, this game sure sucks loads. Enemy Zero was okay, but D is the bottom of the barrel: the two hours limit is just there to mask how short and boring the story is, the puzzles are almost all blatantly obvious and only the looooong FMVs to move anywhere will hinder your progress. One puzzle in particular seems specifically designed to test your patience rather than your wits.

Even with all this, I still finished with fifteen minutes to spare without ever checking a guide.

The plot is more ridiculous than weird. The big reveal must be heard to be believed. Oh, and the PC version got stuck with low quality, scanlined videos.

Avoid it. No, really. Even in the dark realm of FMV adventures, there's far better around. I suppose you could pick it up now that it's on sale for one euro on GOG, just to have a laugh for the first few minutes, or maybe even play it through to see what all the fuss is about. Just prepare to be disappointed.

3/10

Edited by Malek86 at 16:18:13 01-05-2018
  • Rhaegyr 1 May 2018 16:19:18 4,373 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That game scared the life out of me on the Sega Saturn. Mansion of Hidden Souls too.
  • Malek86 1 May 2018 16:31:20 6,972 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mansion of Hidden Souls (2) was terrible though. I have a soft spot for the Mega CD original, in spite of its 5fps videos. But the Saturn sequel... brrr. They should have just made a remake instead.

Anyhow, I didn't even find D scary. The technical limitations of its era shouldn't be a problem - for example, I thought Otogirisou for the SNES was darn creepy. But in D's case, the soundtrack is all over the place, the voice acting ruins any talking scene, and the stupendously slow movements will irritate you long before the enviroment can scare you.

I have a feeling that Eno was a bit too knocked up on his own auteuring, and made something that was just too weird to appreciate. At least Enemy Zero shows that he did know how to make something weird but good if he put in the effort.

Edited by Malek86 at 16:33:01 01-05-2018
  • RawShark 1 May 2018 16:45:55 301 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bioshock Infinite

Yeah, took me a while to get round to it.

I mean obviously it's fantastic - too easy on normal difficulty, but hey, so was Bioshock. And I personally prefer to not have a difficulty spike get in the way of a good story.

In a way, I wish it had been made today, rather than six years ago. As superb as the world of Columbia is, I just wished it had been bigger and more free. I guess things have just moved on a little since the game was made. And between the two, I preferred Bioshock's lean towards horror, rather than the swashbuckling and barnstorming of Infinite.

But otherwise, it remains a tight, fun and engrossing game with a world that stands with Rapture as one of gaming's greatest.

9/10
  • Fourfoldroot 1 May 2018 20:39:55 2,410 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Tales of Symphonia PS3 8/10

Got this cheap a little while ago due to fond but now indistinct memories of the GameCube plauthrough.

So much better than modern instalments due to the wonderfully uncomplicated and swift 2d combat system. 80hrs in I finished my first playthrough and already decided its worth 3 more to get the plat. They should make them like this again.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 May 2018 20:49:58 6,502 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:

An enjoyable romp where the voice acting is king. The story is of 5 friends who travel to an island for a party and during this, hilarity ensues of the supernatural kind.

It's really well done and kept me engrossed to finish the game. The voice acting is amazing and makes the characters feel real. Looks like I missed a lot things out so will replay. One issue I had was the screen froze for a couple seconds when moving to different areas and loading times were very slow. However it is a recommend from me.
    I was right at the point of no return at the end when my laptop got bricked so just picked this up again in PS4 digital sale.

I absolutely loved it. Just the right side of creepy and mysterious and free from some of the clutter of old school adventure games. Agree on the voice acting and characters. Would have been totally into it as a Night Vale style fiction podcast nevermind a game.
  • RandolphCarter 1 May 2018 21:19:19 590 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Far Cry Primal - 8.5/10
    Great.

The Evil Within 2 - 8.5/10
    Just as great.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 May 2018 23:27:14 3,357 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    God of War - 7/10

Posted at length over in the thread for the game itself. It's good, but it's not great. Some serious strengths offset by glaring weaknesses.
  • MadCaddy13 5 May 2018 23:42:06 2,882 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Far Cry 5

Thought it was a good romp through rural America. Didnít like all the bliss bullshit and the controls can be very fiddly but everything else I enjoyed.

Music was fantastic as was the cast

Only you......

7.5/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 May 2018 11:48:16 3,357 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Defense Grid 2 (PC) - 8/10

This had been sat dormant for ages. Went back to it this morning and then realised I was right near the end. It's good, but it didn't make quite as much of an impact on me as the first one did. The dialogue doesn't have quite the same sharpness and I found the overall difficulty (outside of challenge modes) just a bit on the low side after the first game. Still really good, though.
  • Darth_Flibble 6 May 2018 17:42:41 3,013 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dead Space 2: Severed DLC - 8/10 as it was free

The main game + DLC was free on GwG (not sure if the DLC is still free) its a short 2 chapter than can be finished quite quickly. More action heavy than the main game (you can see the direction the series was going as EA was pushing the game into mass market shooter. The ending was so dumb, instead of getting away from the nutjob with a live grenade, you punch the shit out of him, and the explosion blows your leg off and damaging your suit, which leads to stand off while you shoot the necromorphs and the airlock weak spots when the game lets you Apart from the ending it was decent although a bit "shooty bang bang"

It was nice to play Dead space 2 again, would love to see spiritual successor to the game. Avoid going down the action route
  • Ultrasoundwave 6 May 2018 22:57:34 5,725 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:

I was right at the point of no return at the end when my laptop got bricked so just picked this up again in PS4 digital sale.

I absolutely loved it. Just the right side of creepy and mysterious and free from some of the clutter of old school adventure games. Agree on the voice acting and characters. Would have been totally into it as a Night Vale style fiction podcast nevermind a game.
    I picked this up (like most people did) recently when it was like £3 on the Switch - still havenít got around to playing it!

Saying that, I also have Stardew Valley, Celeste, Darkest Dungeon and Owlboy all yet to play on my Switch too.....I need to stop focusing on real life so much.
  • uiruki 7 May 2018 12:29:51 4,522 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    19. Sen no Kiseki 2 Kai - PS4 - 4/5

Got my platinum on this one too. Going back through, it's interesting how much stuff was lost in the third game; obviously there's plot stuff behind it but I wonder if it's a product of the series's drawn out development that at parts it really feels like Rean has regressed a lot in 3. There's some pretty significant story that you can only get in the second run through of this which plays into the plot of 3, which is a bit of a shit thing to do but I'm glad I've seen it now.

The PS4 port is really sloppy, much worse than the original. Basically every time a mist effect goes on screen - which is a lot - the framerate tanks. Every cutscene involving Vita just becomes super choppy. I'll still miss high speed mode going forward though, the whole game feels a lot snappier with it on and turning it off really makes the languid camera work even more obvious. The quick skip button in 3 works really well but there's the risk of blasting through the first few lines of a cutscene when all you want is to skip the 45 seconds slowly panning over a featureless landscape.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to another run through 3 now, though I won't be able to bash through every single difficult encounter in Nightmare with Performance Enhancing Drugs like in 1 and 2.

Edited by uiruki at 12:36:46 07-05-2018
  • Trowel 8 May 2018 08:11:54 21,996 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rime - 5/10

I want to enjoy these type of games, but it's just another carbon copy architectural on-rails run/jump/push/pretty background/emotional music, packed with puzzles that aren't puzzles, and secrets that aren't secret.

Dragged on too - I'd completely lost context toward the end, and it could have done with most of the middle being ripped out of the game, especially the bits with the bird thing (though I guess that's the albatross?). Gave it an extra point because of the ending, though I can't be bothered to get the extra ending.

Journey nailed the genre for me.
  • Nanocrystal 8 May 2018 09:00:22 1,690 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mad Max - 8/10

Enjoyable enough, certainly very pretty with decent combat and a cool car to upgrade. Nails the look of Fury Road and has some car based action that occasionally thrills. WAY too much busywork on the massive map to sustain my interest though, and the ending was a bit of an anti climax.

Edited by Nanocrystal at 09:01:02 08-05-2018
  • uiruki 8 May 2018 21:36:31 4,522 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    20. Breakdown - Xbox - 2/5

It's really not very good, though I'm happy to have played through it one more time. It did a few interesting things for the time but 14 years on it's a pretty painful experience when looking at things like shooting, platforming and the whole target lockon system. The field of view is way too tight, not helped by it being 4:3 only, movement is slow and clunky with some bafflingly long sections of just walking slowly through large featureless corridors or fields (there's a hugely annoying jumping puzzle bit near the end), and it's very easy to get disoriented with the hit reactions - all downsides of the game design in their own way.

At the same time though, there's cool stuff there that you can see struggling to get out; the forced perspective means that they can play with your perceptions with hallucinations (something which they needed to do way more of) and it "solves" the problem of the player not looking where he wants by just jerking your view over. The start is particularly good at this but they just didn't take enough advantage; there's hardly anything you can interact with that isn't essential to the plot, it gets too concerned with its own cleverness when picking up items and the whole thing feels like it was drastically cut back.

In the end, while it starts strong it just kind of sags towards the middle and doesn't really pay off in the end with the time travel plot. The horrible nu metal ending theme is still very much present in the credits though, so that's something to look forward to at the end of 6-7 hours I guess? I'd recommend that if anyone does play it, do it in easy. There's one encounter near the end which I remember spending hours bashing my head against but I just walked through it this time.

Edited by uiruki at 21:36:40 08-05-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.