Recently Completed Games Page 543

• Skirlasvoud 11 May 2018 18:00:10 4,012 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just re-played Dishonored and played the "Knife of Dunwall" and the "Brigmore Witches" for the first time. All of it in preparation for playing Dishonored 2 for the first time.

The DLC was lovely stuff! I'm very much impressed by the quality and additional content on display there.

8/10
  • ReinaHW 11 May 2018 18:06:14 45 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    The most recent games I've finished are Far Cry 5 and Assassin's Creed 3, the main story since the DLC has a game breaking glitch that prevents progress in the first episode.

Far Cry 5 was alright, nothing special, just fun. I guess if I had to give it a rating it would be 8/10, a fun but unremarkable game.

Assassin's Creed 3 was a bit of a chore, the characters weren't all that interesting, the story was okay but didn't really grip me much.
    The historical setting was fascinating but then I do have an interest in history.
    An okay game but nothing special, could have been better.

7/10 - Historical setting was fascinating, the rest of the game was a little on the lackluster side though.
  • Oldsheppy 12 May 2018 07:14:12 22 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Far cry 5 , Hhhmmmm they've tried something a bit different with it. I did enjoy the minute to minute gunplay and the animals were less annoying than previous games and the stashes were fun ,but I didn't enjoy the game dragging you in to the main story wether you wanted to or not. The enemies ai was pretty poor , I had one encounter where Cheeseburger was being held where the bad guys were just running and bumping into one another .The less said about the
    ending the better. 7/10
  • killersrquiet 12 May 2018 18:26:02 3,185 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Order 1886.

Playthrough 5 or 6 at this point, I've lost count.

I love it regardless of what all the naysayers think about it.

Sir Galahad deserves a sequel.
  • lordofdeadside 14 May 2018 12:33:42 1,331 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Just incredible; the setting, characters, atmosphere, soundtrack, everything really.

The mechanic from the first game being swapped out for the word battle wasn't quite as good, but aside from that it was up there. Hard to believe a different studio made this one.

The extra bonus episode is wonderful too, a heartbreaking way of tying the two games together.

10/10
  • SiroccoJetProp 14 May 2018 13:07:21 207 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gears of War 4.

Enjoyable. Looks great on the One X.

Forgot how intense Gears of War was. Did feel a little short though.

7/10

Edited by SiroccoJetProp at 13:07:47 14-05-2018
  • Rens11 14 May 2018 16:03:01 1,800 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @killersrquiet

I quite enjoyed it myself but wouldn't want to play it again. What makes it so replayable for you?
  • killersrquiet 15 May 2018 20:34:08 3,185 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rens11

Well, everything about it really.

The artistic style and setting. Story is decent and some really interesting characters in my opinion.

I'll have another playthrough towards the end of the Year:-)
  • Rens11 16 May 2018 15:30:48 1,800 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @killersrquiet

Fair enough! The graphics still hold up really well and the setting and atmosphere are top notch just a shame the gameplay was by the numbers
  • uiruki 16 May 2018 20:59:04 4,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    21. Shovel Knight - Switch - 2/5

This ended up driving me absolutely fucking nuts. It seems to have combined pretty much all of the stuff I disliked about old platformers, particularly instant death pitfalls and spikes. If they'd removed maybe half of them, or made the player character faster (or gotten rid of that inertia), I think I'd have gotten along with it much, much better.

Edited by uiruki at 20:59:41 16-05-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 16 May 2018 23:03:45 3,866 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Battletech - 9.5/10

So this was pretty amazing. Don't get me wrong, it has some flaws, in particular:

- That funny stutter common to many Unity engine games;
    - Long load times;
    - Irritating savegame management; and
    - Those FUCKING LRM-focussed Jagermechs.

But despite all that, it is a thoroughly amazing game, with insanely tense tactical combat and a decent strategic overlay. The XCom comparisons are obvious but, strangely, learning to play Battletech well involves "unlearning" a lot of what you might have acquired from XCom.

In my books, it is - so far - Game of the Year 2018. God of War didn't even get to be Game of the Month.
  • ReinaHW 18 May 2018 14:41:21 45 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Completed Assassin's Creed 4's main story earlier this morning, I had fun with the game. Sadly had to end my time with the game due to a game breaking glitch in the Freedom DLC that prevented progress, I was quite enjoying too.

I give it a 8/10, a fun game with excellent sailing controls. Edward is a likable enough character if a bit of a prat due to his fixation with glory and wealth which tends to bite him in the backside a lot throughout the course of the story.

The best parts I felt were with Blackbeard's last battle, Mary Read's farewell and the gradual waning of the golden age of piracy and how the debts for their deeds eventually had to be paid.
    The historical setting was interesting if a little watered down in places, the story had it's ups and downs. I liked the parts I mentioned while the rest was just okay.

Ubisoft seriously need to have actual quality control though since the glitches, especially in the DLC, are a pain.
  • uiruki 18 May 2018 20:02:25 4,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    22. Assassin's Creed Origins - PC - 4/5

The first AC game where I've actually managed to get to the end. Good all the way through, with a likeable main character and no tailing missions! I might be a bit burned out on open worlds again though...
  • TheHammerite 18 May 2018 20:16:40 2,870 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alex Kidd and the lost stars - Master System

A simpler Alex Kidd after miracle world. It's simply a case of running along and jumping over a variety of bizarre obstacles. But the music is incredibly catchy and makes the whole affair far more enjoyable than it should be.

7/10
  • TheHammerite 18 May 2018 20:20:16 2,870 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alex Kidd in miracle world

Highly enjoyable platformer. It's kind of sad that sonic took over as the Sega mascot. The paper scissor stone shit can fuck off though. Features some lovely vehicle sections.

9/10
  • H1ggyLTD 18 May 2018 20:24:38 9,890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wasn't the paper/scissors/stone non-random?
  • TheHammerite 18 May 2018 21:51:38 2,870 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, but I beat them without needing to learn the pattern. I found it a tedious boss fight though. Preferred the charging bull.
  • Stuz359 19 May 2018 00:19:41 119 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Alex Kidd in Shinobi world was a very short but very sweet experience.
  • H1ggyLTD 19 May 2018 08:05:38 9,890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    By far the best Kidd game.
  • whatthefu 19 May 2018 23:44:01 1,100 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just finished Super Mario World for the first time in a long time.
    I was sure it would be too long to sit through again but I completed it in two nights.
    I did 93 levels of the 96, the others are a pain in the ass so I couldn't be bothered.

I loved this game as a kid :)
  • uiruki 20 May 2018 00:18:32 4,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    23. Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition - PC - 4/5

Mostly a really solid Metroid type thing. The use of video for the more complex animations was interesting (but a bit too obvious - higher quality next time please!) and I really appreciated the 21:9 support. The ability to place checkpoints where you liked was clever and well-implemented; it meant that while difficulty increased, for the most part it was possible to play more carefully to get through even with higher enemy density and damage.

A few complaints - your weapon remains weedy throughout and more importantly it's pretty imprecise. The whole game has a lot of muddy feeling bits; the way you have to rely on enemies and their shots for movement and the inertia on the character aren't as sharp as I'd like. It also just kind of stops at the end!

Those escape sections though - I can see why people complained about them. Hopefully they're either gone or tuned next time around - since they're against the clock it'd have been nice to be able to 'save up' a couple of seconds to see the next obstacle with some clean play rather than it feeling a bit like the game going "surprise!!!" and you dying. They're not long sequences or anything but I suspect that in six months they'll be what I remember because of the frustration in what was otherwise a pretty easy-going game.
  • whatthefu 20 May 2018 00:25:31 1,100 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Agreed on those escape sections in Ori, played them over and over and was annoying. I replayed it as well a short while ago and overall enjoyed it, looking forward to the sequel.
  • uiruki 20 May 2018 00:34:21 4,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can see what they were going for but they just ended up incongruous. I'm sure they have the feedback though!
  • OnlyJoeKing 20 May 2018 01:31:53 661 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finally finished God of War. Amazing game. I'd give it a 9/10 personally.

The crafting and loot systems weren't particularly satisfying, which contributes to a sense that I didn't completely fall in love with it (like, say, a Souls game). But the story was great, funny writing, fantastic voice acting, weighty combat, gorgeous graphics and art..... there's so much to like. And Kratos is such a top protagonist.

What a game.
  • Graxlar_v3 20 May 2018 06:19:17 3,474 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Yakuza 6 8/10

The improved engine really helps in making this one of the most impressive/well made yakuza games but I think I preferred yakuza 0. The side missions in 0 were just absolutely mental and I think this game is missing that a little with no reall stand out sub stories, which is a shame. I didnít enjoy the clan battle stuff at all, it was just kinda dull. I appreciate I probably missed a lot but the stuff I did find was just a bit too muted to make me care about hunting for anymore.

Still a great game and a perfect ending for Kiryu

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 06:20:24 20-05-2018
  • uiruki 20 May 2018 18:19:19 4,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    24. Tesla vs Lovecraft - PC - 4/5

I haven't done the hardest difficulty as I think it's going to be too much for me but it's 10tons's best game since Crimsonland. It definitely keeps that back and forth of being a bit weak then being very powerful (swinging back if you're playing in the survival mode). Gets a bit dependent on random powerups later on though, which means that Hard difficulty might be a bit much.

If you get it, play through the levels once before tackling the survival mode to unlock all the weapons and perks.
  • uiruki 21 May 2018 22:10:55 4,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    25. Victor Vran - PC - 3/5

Started out fun enough but does that thing that the ARPG genre does which is just make the enemies take more damage without giving you enough upgrades to keep up (and the game seemingly scaling by your progress made through the game rather than the area you're in). The last boss was an absolute fucker as a result. I didn't like the way the game seemed to reduce enemy counts later on in favour of big damage sponges which would slow other otherwise weaken your character.

There's still plenty to like though; it's got that slightly wonky Eastern European humour and the base combat's pretty fun, swapping between weapons.

Edited by uiruki at 22:19:02 21-05-2018
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 May 2018 07:11:49 7,497 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hellblade Seuna's Sacrifice

Brilliant. Looks great, very atmospheric, compelling story, loved the dripfeed of Norse mythology.

I'm not sure I never came close to the threatened deleted save mechanic but just the idea of it gave the game a tension that modern games abandoned years and years ago.

The combat was a lot better than every review ive read suggested. Although it does also include the worst part of the game - it's rubbish targeting system. I think every death or knockdown I suffered was because I was trapped on one opponent and unable to dodge attacks I could see coming from others.

Maybe that's part of the lesson it's trying to teach about mental health somehow.

Either way it never made me want to rage quit or anything and it muddled through ok.

I dug the light puzzle element too. Making them much more complex would have ruined the pacing and tension I think.

9/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.