Following Recently Completed Games Page 565

• ardamillo 13 Nov 2018 01:12:42 638 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finished Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana last night. It's a lot more approachable than the name suggests! This is from someone who hasn't played a game in the series before.

You are shipwrecked on a mysterious island and explore it to recruit a crew, build a base, and eventually figure out a way to leave. The island is divided into fields and dungeons that you explore in a fixed order in the usual JRPG fashion. Combat is fast and real time, almost like an action game rather than an RPG, although you still have stats and skills to level up. In fact the whole game is very streamlined, letting you instantly fast travel between areas you've visited and requiring no grinding at all.

The base building is also well done as you discover new companions to populate it and provide meaningful new abilities and upgrades. Some of these characters are a bit dubious, and the story leans on some well worn tropes, but the whole game is suffused with that classic, colourful JRPG joy and charm. Happy days!

9/10
  • Reacher 14 Nov 2018 20:45:27 2,786 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished God of War.

Not much I can say that already hasn't been said. It's a complete masterpiece from start to finish.

10/10
  • uiruki 14 Nov 2018 22:59:45 4,719 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    49. Shantae: Half Genie Hero - Xbone - 3/5

Decent, but really feels stretched out. Not enough levels for the amount of time they wanted me to play so it was both too short and too long (!)
  • The_Goon 14 Nov 2018 23:04:08 1,123 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze (Switch)

Completed the final boss earlier today. Not massively enamoured with the game though. It's an ok, if not good, platformer in my opinion. Never was a fan of games that basically force you to die and learn and this does a lot of it. It's not a matter of execution either; I found it just throwing stuff at you last minute that you essentially couldn't react to unless you knew it was coming. Not fun.

That said, it does have a certain charm and I think I'll pop it in every now and then to try to 100% it.

7/10
  • pacrifice 15 Nov 2018 03:43:36 4,517 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nier Automata

8/10

Good first, second was a chore and third had a good final boss but her as a character overrated.
  • uiruki 18 Nov 2018 15:59:19 4,719 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    50. Diablo 3 - Switch - 5/5

Great version of a great game. Runs really nicely. Not much more to be said! Only gripe is that it's a bit funny when running a Season character in portable mode - it kind of wants a net connection all the time when you're doing that.

51. Phantasy Star (Sega Ages) - Switch - 3/5

Hard one to rate. As a game it's really of its time; very simple mechanically and in terms of the story. As a conversion and an introduction to the series it's very good though - M2 added an automap to the screen which makes a massive difference, while also changing the XP/money gain on battles to reduce grinding. As it is it's a short little adventure across three planets with some nicely animated monsters and impressive first person dungeons.
  • Darth_Flibble 18 Nov 2018 17:41:49 3,216 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yakuza Kiwami

For the first 3 chapters I didn't enjoy it (and I liked where I got up to in zero) chapter 3 was not fun to play. One thing I don't like how the bosses can recover a lot of health, you just need to have the heat meter filled to do a special attack but you have just used it. Some of the special moves are brutal, like putting a bad guy's head into the car then slamming the door and then kicking the door just to make sure his head is flattened. The side quests are not as crazy as Zero's. One was a pain as I had no idea where the doctor was to take this kid to

Glad it come to psn+, hopefully it will gain some new fans. Just watching the review for Kiwami 2 and the improved engine looks great

8/10
  • Vortex808 18 Nov 2018 18:18:21 12,884 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finished both Halo 2 & 3 as part of the Master Chief collection in the last week or two.

Still a lot of fun all these years on.

Next, I will revisit H4 for a bit, before I start on BF V.

I'll maybe try to get round to replaying ODST next year!
  • dominalien 18 Nov 2018 20:31:35 8,878 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @uiruki

Unless you’re catching up on the past 5 years of completed games, your rate is astonishing!
  • uiruki 19 Nov 2018 07:21:07 4,719 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @dominalien I have a long commute! Been catching up using time off too - had to take two of the last three weeks off to use up my remaining allowance and a couple of trips fell through at the last minute.
  • whatthefu 19 Nov 2018 19:09:49 1,144 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Castlevania Symphony of the Night.
    First time playing this and I enjoyed it though it took longer than I expected to get some of the additional abilities.
    I have played more recent metroidvania games so it didn't blow me away as much as it probably would have in 1997.

8/10

The inverted castle doesn't seem like much fun though.
    Unfortunately I did have to look up guides a couple of times. I never would have thought of double jumping up the lhs of the clock tower nor noticed the 'Wear in Clock tower' between the gold and silver rings.

Edited by whatthefu at 19:10:55 19-11-2018
  • Malek86 19 Nov 2018 19:47:59 7,909 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Inverted Castle is really just a pain (do we really need spoilers for a 20+ years old game?).

Easy to imagine that they only added it in to make the game longer, trusting on the fact that your fly abilities let you go anywhere so they wouldn't even need to adjust the maps.

Still good, but Circle of the Moon is my favorite. SOTN was just too easy.
  • whatthefu 19 Nov 2018 20:04:03 1,144 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Malek86 Lol about the spoilers :D

I have really only played Super Castlevania IV before so I could try more of the more recent ones. I really noticed the sound quality on SotN, PS1 had good sound, how is the sound on the GBA ones? Obviously the graphics aren't as good.

Edited by whatthefu at 20:04:43 19-11-2018
  • Malek86 19 Nov 2018 20:18:21 7,909 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have only played Circle of the Moon, the music was okay, though it was pretty much a launch title so the graphics are halfway between Gameboy Color and actual GBA. Also, annoyingly, you need to push the d-pad twice to run. Not surprising because the GBA had fewer buttons than a PS1, so you'll have to get used to it.

But I did hear that Harmony of Dissonance had some of the worst GBA music ever.
  • TheHammerite 19 Nov 2018 20:20:17 2,973 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Malek86

Isn't there a bit where you fly through a crevice as a bat? It unlocks an ability. Not sure how anyone would figure that out without a guide.
  • kentmonkey 19 Nov 2018 22:17:25 22,763 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    The Inverted Castle is really just a pain (do we really need spoilers for a 20+ years old game?).

Easy to imagine that they only added it in to make the game longer, trusting on the fact that your fly abilities let you go anywhere so they wouldn't even need to adjust the maps.

Still good, but Circle of the Moon is my favorite. SOTN was just too easy.
    That was the exact reason. The creator got fed up of seeing lots of pre-owned Castlevania games on stores just a few days after release, so stated that they needed to provide a longer experience for the player to combat that behaviour.

Hard to think that the industry, at least AAA developer "industry", once actually cared about their customer, and their product, to that extent.
  • Malek86 19 Nov 2018 23:15:57 7,909 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @kentmonkey well, maybe he just did it because he didn't want people buying used games instead of new ones (used games are considered an even bigger issue in Japan than in the west, and they are usually fought with staggered releases on different platforms).

Besides, like I said, it was hardly a good plan since the inverted castle is mostly a pain to navigate.

Edited by Malek86 at 23:16:35 19-11-2018
  • Mola_Ram 20 Nov 2018 00:05:50 18,925 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mark of the Ninja (on Switch)

I bought it mostly to encourage Klei to release their actual best game (Invisible Inc) on Switch, but Mark the ninja was a good game too!

Some of the platforming was a little annoying, and I didn't really like that the last couple of levels took away all your cool toys. Teleports are nice and all, but nothing beats the nightmare suit.

I'd like to see a sequel, because I think there's a lot more potential for variation there. But it probably won't happen.

8/10
  • Mola_Ram 20 Nov 2018 06:47:00 18,925 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2

For whatever reason I'd stopped playing this ages ago, about an hour or so from the end. Maybe I just didn't want it to end, or something like that. But it's done now.

It's a complicated, flawed mess of a game, but what a beautiful mess. I liked the story, the characters, the battle system, the music, the world... just about everything, really. There's a few too many systems rattling around, and the game does a pretty poor job of introducing you to them, but that doesn't really matter in the end. Superb game.

9.3/10
  • Malek86 20 Nov 2018 09:26:50 7,909 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Way Remastered (Switch)

Old-school platformer in the same vein of Another World, but not as hard. You'll die quite a bit, sure, but the puzzles are never obtuse, the enemies are never too brutal, and the jumping is never too unforgiving. There is plenty of checkpoints too, so even if the protagonist isn't nearly as agile as Mario, you won't have too much trouble getting through this.

Worth playing for the story alone, although for some strange reason, near the end the developers decided to have a poignant moment followed up by a strange fourth-wall breaking level. The story is about the pursuit of eternal life, so it's not much of a spoiler to say that things won't go very smoothly.

There's quite a bit of backtracking, but not bad enough to really detract from the experience.

8/10

I got this when it was 80% off a few weeks ago. It's on sale again now for Black Friday, I think, but the price is not as low as before. Even then, it's worth picking up, I'd say. Unless you'd rather save your money for Ms. Splosion Man. That is a fine choice too.

Edited by Malek86 at 09:26:59 20-11-2018
  • Deleted user 20 November 2018 09:46:09
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Mark of the Ninja (on Switch)

I bought it mostly to encourage Klei to release their actual best game (Invisible Inc) on Switch, but Mark the ninja was a good game too!

Some of the platforming was a little annoying, and I didn't really like that the last couple of levels took away all your cool toys. Teleports are nice and all, but nothing beats the nightmare suit.

I'd like to see a sequel, because I think there's a lot more potential for variation there. But it probably won't happen.

8/10
    Just started this but loving it. It's the badass ninja game I've been wanting since Ninja Gaiden disappeared.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Nov 2018 10:00:43 18,925 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Protip: use the nightmare suit, when you unlock it. It's fucking hilarious.
  • Roastinglbs 20 Nov 2018 13:49:59 12 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Evil within 2 , fantastic game with great flow, sympathetic characters and good payoff at the end. Now onto either GoW, Detroit or Yakuza Zero, (decisions decisions!)
  • kentmonkey 20 Nov 2018 13:58:42 22,763 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 I thought it was a great design choice, personally. As I think most people did.

It was an unexpected twist (hadn't really been seen before, if ever) upon what people thought was the completion of the game, and the decision behind it, from reported sources, does seem to have been a lot more altruistic than 'I want less competition from pre-owned sales'. He genuinely seemed to struggle with his product being discarded so quickly, rather than the income side of things.
  • TheHammerite 20 Nov 2018 17:53:30 2,973 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Roastinglbs

Really enjoyed Evil Within 2. Just hated the shitty boss fights . Played through it again on hard and the boss battles are annoying.
  • Roastinglbs 20 Nov 2018 18:50:53 12 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @TheHammerite

I was on casual so less pain. The bit where you’re ‘grabbed’ on the final boss was rage enduring
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Nov 2018 18:52:48 24,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Roastinglbs wrote:
    Evil within 2 , fantastic game with great flow, sympathetic characters and good payoff at the end. Now onto either GoW, Detroit or Yakuza Zero, (decisions decisions!)
    I haven't played the other two but Yakuza Zero is amazing.
  • Roastinglbs 20 Nov 2018 18:59:58 12 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

I got about 3/4’s of the way through the original back in the PS2 days and loved it. Maybe time to get back in the saddle!
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Nov 2018 19:01:16 24,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Roastinglbs wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

I got about 3/4’s of the way through the original back in the PS2 days and loved it. Maybe time to get back in the saddle!
    I recent played Yakuza Zero (prequel) and Kiwami (remake of the original) and clearly preferred Yakuza Zero so I think you're going to really enjoy it.
  • TheHammerite 20 Nov 2018 19:13:03 2,973 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Roastinglbs

It's why I think an option to skip boss fights would be good.

I got stuck on the artist boss fights on hard. Haven't been back since.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.