Following Recently Completed Games Page 566

• Darth_Flibble 21 Nov 2018 20:45:06 3,216 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yakuza Zero

Just finished Kiwami, and jumped back into Zero from the last save I had. In some ways zero is a better game, the side quests are bit more mad and more to do but it lacks the save anywhere and has some screen tearing.

Really enjoyed the story although the cutscenes do go on for a while. Yakuza 6 come through the post today. Will take a break but will start that soon

8.5/10
  • uiruki 25 Nov 2018 11:20:26 4,719 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    52. Forza Horizon 4 - PC - 4/5 (all ultimate races won, all showcases done, 150 stars in stories)

A huge improvements on the third game. Runs much better (though I keep having to reset my graphics setting every time it updates), better map, better showcases, a better balance between 'normal' races and the gimmicky stuff. I particularly liked the stories as a kind of themed, extended bucket list.

My main complaint is one that I've had since 3 really: it's still too easy to just take the same car into loads of events. I finished most of it in my Cossie and F40 through inertia as much as anything else; it was only really the cross country series where I had to change classes a lot. Performance class limiters would be really good too!

53. Crackdown - Xbone - 3/5

Turns out I had a save near the end of this, just had the third gang to finish off. And then it just kind of stops.

Definitely showing its age. Aiming is clunky (though the lock-on largely helps), the physics engine takes over too long, stuff like that. Blowing things up en masse is still good though - the cluster grenade in particular is an excellent weapon - and bounding around looking for the green orbs is great. Looking forward to the third one.

On a side note, this is exactly how backward compatibility should work. Game's released for free, I just download it and after a few seconds all my 360 progress is just there, working. A game save from 11 years ago, just ready to go.

Edited by uiruki at 13:23:32 25-11-2018
  • Dombat 25 Nov 2018 20:36:46 1,456 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider (XB1)

I skipped the second game and picked this one as a bit of an impulse buy as I wanted a simple AAA single player game at the time. It was hard to tell how much backstory I missed but I wasn't that invested in the story anyway.

The game has a few positives going for it. It's technically very polished - it looks stunning at times, especially within view of open jungle vistas. The settlements are also well designed and have their own character. Combat, exploration and traversal mechanics are fine - pretty much as you expect for an Uncharted clone at this stage.

I didn't mind the linear opening stages personally, but the game is at its best in the jungle with the various challenges, tombs, crypts etc that you can do at your own pace as the plot gradually progresses. The tombs are an obvious highlight of the game and a big improvement over the tombs in the first game. While they are bigger here it is still a shame they don't make up more of the game.

On to the main negatives. IMO, the game nosedives in quality about 2/3 of the way through the game, as you arrive at a certain key location. This ties in to my two main criticisms - the story and pacing.

The storyline just isn't very good. There's a certain plot twist that came across as ridiculous to me and it was hard to give a shit about some of the minor characters or the overaching narrative. I found myself caring less as it went on as well. Lara doesn't help - she comes across as selfish, including at some big moments which you feel were trying to be emotive but just fall flat when Lara reacts in a self-centred fashion.

The pacing is just really off too. You unlock loads of skill points in the earlier stages, but with very little combat, so you're left guessing what will be useful when combat heavy moments are suddenly sprung on you down the line. The game's combat is crammed into too few (but sometimes extended) moments in the game. Also, there is a settlement where the game really starts to drag, and IMO has too much gametime.

Although I was fairly hooked on it while I was playing it, I did feel like I was going through the motions a bit at times and thought less highly of it the more I played. It's the sort of AAA game I wouldn't normally buy these days, but there was just enough good in there for it to be worth the playthrough.

7/10
  • DrStrangelove 25 Nov 2018 20:58:27 13,350 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hope you don't mind if I steal the term "overaching narrative", I really like it
  • ardamillo 26 Nov 2018 05:41:32 638 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Dombat Nice write up, thanks. Is it possible to skip any of the combat heavy parts? The tombs were my favourite part of the previous 2 games so this is really tempting.
  • Dombat 26 Nov 2018 09:27:42 1,456 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ardamillo wrote:
    @Dombat Nice write up, thanks. Is it possible to skip any of the combat heavy parts? The tombs were my favourite part of the previous 2 games so this is really tempting.
    Not really as they're part of the main story. Many of them you can use stealth tactics if you want, and I pretty much exclusively used stealth early on, but there are some set pieces later in the game that are heavy on combat. I found a difficulty spike where I had to start using recovery/buff items that I had previously ignored (and therefore not put skill points into).

I did enjoy the tombs though, and there are some puzzle sections within the main story, especially in the first half of the game.
  • Malek86 26 Nov 2018 10:04:22 7,909 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I suppose you could set only the combat difficulty to the minimum. Not sure how much of a difference it makes though.
  • RyanDS 26 Nov 2018 11:43:16 12,275 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dragon Quest XI

Unapologetically old school, yet with modern quality of life enhancements. A fine line to walk but I think it does so perfectly.

A great cast, some amazing moments that genuinely bring tears to your eyes [spoilers]Mermaids...[/spoilers] and a rip roaring story. Also a very very beautiful game. Difficulty was possibly a bit to easy for some, but I found it pitch perfect, only twice in the game I struggled, once in a dungeon end boss, and the final fight. But both I cleared with less than 30 minute grinding which is acceptable. It is not 2 hours minimum grinding every 5 hours (heres looking at you Octopath Traveller...)

Between this, Persona 5 and Ni No Kuni 2 it really has been a fantastic couple of years for JRPGs, probably my favourite since the PSOne Final Fantasies.

I finished Act 2 and think will stop there. The "official" ending. I know act 3 is supposed to be huge, but I have such a backlog, and playing this straight after Ni No Kuni 2 means I need a change of pace. God of War 4 or Yakuza Kiwani I think.

10/10
  • Dombat 26 Nov 2018 11:53:14 1,456 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    I suppose you could set only the combat difficulty to the minimum. Not sure how much of a difference it makes though.
    Yeah. I think that would be my advice to anyone starting the game that is playing for the exploration and puzzles rather than the combat.

I started off with everything on default but bumped up the exploration difficulty as I didn't like the marker constantly telling me where to go when I was using the sensor mechanic for items or enemies.

If I was starting now I'd have the combat difficulty on default or easy but bump up both the exploration and puzzle difficulty.
  • uiruki 26 Nov 2018 11:54:11 4,719 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Honestly, you havenít finished the game. Even if itís later, make sure you go back to it.

Edit: DQ11

Edited by uiruki at 11:54:34 26-11-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 26 Nov 2018 12:04:11 4,599 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Pokemon Letsgo (pikachu)

Pokedex is half full and beaten the elite four, not done with the game but have finished the campaign. It is an excellent remake of pokemon yellow.

I loved every moment of it, even if i did find myself going on auto 90% of the time and ended up using almost (i used vileplume instead of venusaur) exactly the same team as i did 20(i think) odd years ago.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 26 Nov 2018 12:07:51 17,190 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You thinking of picking up the African farmers DLC?
  • monsieur-Cosmo 26 Nov 2018 12:45:20 438 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's Two Worlds 2 (PC) completed. I'm not much of a reviewer so... I had fun playing it, but it dragged too long. As do most open world RPGs.
    Started too many side quests just to be sure I'm not under-levelled at the end. I still was. The final battle was kinda out of place and odd, as was the ending.
    A 7/10 (?).
    Tried also the DLC, but most likely won't bother with it.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 13:36:39 26-11-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 26 Nov 2018 13:37:49 4,599 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Decks of course, not sure i like the cost of it though.
  • Frogofdoom 26 Nov 2018 13:40:36 10,948 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 isn't it stupidly easy though, the ign reviewer didn't lose a single battle the whole way through.
  • Graxlar_v3 26 Nov 2018 13:52:40 4,599 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Frogofdoom its pokemon yellow.

I didn't lose a single battle because i have played that game to death. I was able to walk through the gyms using one pokemon as i know the type advantages from my god knows how many play through's. I still love it though, it is a really good game. The only way it has been made easier (and i am super glad about this) is no random battles. So you don't get to the end of victory road with some half dead pokemon with 1 or 2 pp left because you didn't stock up on enough ether.

also, TM's are not single use anymore and HM's are not required Pikachu on a surf board is one of my moments of 2018
  • Frogofdoom 26 Nov 2018 14:07:15 10,948 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have never played a Pokťmon game properly, the handheld formats always put me off a bit. I'm quite looking forward to the one next year though.
  • Spectral 26 Nov 2018 15:21:26 6,069 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @RyanDS Don't stop there! Its an entire third of the game, it's like they just plonked credits part way through. Its the best part of the game too.
  • VanillaLake 28 Nov 2018 19:53:23 679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't post reviews on Xbox.com about Game Pass games that I don't own so... here I go.

Wolfenstein The New Order

Positive:
    Controls.
    A few good jokes, ironic happenings and speech.
    Scares.

Average:
    Soundtrack.

Negative:
    Confusing level design and missed opportunities that cause stupid deaths, sometimes respawning you before a long battle that you have already dealt with.

Indestructible turrets shooting at you when the exit is difficult to find. No exploration allowed.

No cover, endless enemies coming from all sides at some points with cheap level design (no strategies work).

Enemies coming through a fence in a corner in the sewers where you found some cover against two well-armoured enemies.

Too difficult in spite of mediocre AI.

Developers made the joke difficulty the viable survival option through some sections at least on consoles (controller).

Unbalanced gameplay.

Low volume dialogues with no audio options.

Some really nasty cut-scenes.

6.5/10

Edited by VanillaLake at 19:58:38 28-11-2018
  • Malek86 28 Nov 2018 22:01:48 7,909 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicles (PS2)

What I expected: Rayman 2 with a Burton-esque setting and bad controls
    What I got: a proto-Psychonauts with shades of American McGee's Alice, tons of cutscenes, and bad controls

The horrendous difficulty and forced inverted X camera is somewhat solved by playing on emulators with configured buttons and save states. But there's no fixing the horribly slippery controls. At least the story kept me hooked until the end. It eventually devolves into MGS-levels of self awareness. There is a several minutes long cutscene where two characters send each other messages through a machine that acts like a carrier pigeon that shouts movie quotes, all while the ship they're riding is about to crash into a mountain.

5/10

I checked the developer In Utero's output, and it turns out this was their magnum opus. Everything else sucked, and then they folded a couple games later. Fascinating. Yawn.
  • garryo'neill 30 Nov 2018 01:08:50 1 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I have been giving The Order 1886 a second play-through to try and get the plat trophy and i forgot how amazing this games lore and world is. So much potential for an amazing franchise here. Really surprised Sony has just let this one die, has a whiff of Assassins 1/Uncharted 1 with it.

There is not a lot of action, but my god when you are let loose with some of the games weapons it just sings. Would love more of this.

The Graphics are still unbelievable as well, only bested by Horizon on the PS4. Has a cracking photo mode been stopping to take constant shots which is a lot of fun in itself.
  • JoelStinty 30 Nov 2018 08:09:37 7,012 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    You thinking of picking up the African farmers DLC?
    Glol. Oh my god why didnít think of that. Guess itís because Iím not funny
  • eshy76 30 Nov 2018 09:48:11 148 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spider-Man (PS4 Pro) - Completed 18/9/2018, Platinum 23/9/2018

Really good game - webslinging traversal is spot on and Arkham style combat is a better fit for Spidey as a character than for Batman IMO. Slick implementation of the latter - even in hectic fights my actions were on the right side of the deliberate vs. button mashing divide. Graphically top notch, although some "uncanny valley" issues in cutscenes and the characterization of Spidey was really well done with trademark wisecracks to the fore.

The story was well done I thought, definitely engaging enough to see through till the end. My only gripe with the game was the repetitive side battles with goons - they could have had less of those or mixed up the battles some more so they didn't feel indentical.

Great game - some tweaks could make the inevitable sequel astonishingly good.

9/10
  • eshy76 30 Nov 2018 09:56:53 148 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4 Pro) - Completed 29/11/2018

There's a great write up of this a few posts up which I pretty much agree with so I'll try not to rehash that. If you want a polished, slick, snappy action adventure you won't go too wrong with this. Graphically astounding - real care has gone into creating some fantastic locations. Combat is a strong point - you can go stealth or all guns blazing. I would say gunplay is maybe better than Uncharted 4, which tended to go pear shaped when cover was blown.

But using the bow and arrow is still the best way to fight I think. Platforming and climbing is also cool with the tombs very satisfying.

Negatives - Lara is really dull as a character, which the EG review picked up on, didn't really care for her at all. Story is "meh" and the RPG-lite powering up might as well not have been there - just a box ticking exercise - would have been better to just unlock the skills during the story.

Solid but unspectacular. Enjoyable though. 7/10.

Edited by eshy76 at 09:57:25 30-11-2018
  • Dombat 30 Nov 2018 12:06:30 1,456 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    eshy76 wrote:
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4 Pro) - Completed 29/11/2018

There's a great write up of this a few posts up which I pretty much agree with so I'll try not to rehash that. If you want a polished, slick, snappy action adventure you won't go too wrong with this. Graphically astounding - real care has gone into creating some fantastic locations. Combat is a strong point - you can go stealth or all guns blazing. I would say gunplay is maybe better than Uncharted 4, which tended to go pear shaped when cover was blown.

But using the bow and arrow is still the best way to fight I think. Platforming and climbing is also cool with the tombs very satisfying.

Negatives - Lara is really dull as a character, which the EG review picked up on, didn't really care for her at all. Story is "meh" and the RPG-lite powering up might as well not have been there - just a box ticking exercise - would have been better to just unlock the skills during the story.

Solid but unspectacular. Enjoyable though. 7/10.
    Yeah it looks like we're on the same page with this one. The game is at its strongest with the traditional elements are in play, like exploration, environmental puzzles, combat (which I agree edges Uncharted), and is weaker when dialogue driven cutscenes and story take centre stage. The RPG-lite mechanics seem like token additions to make the game seem current gen and don't really enhance the game.

I hope the next TR is a reboot that moves away from the narrative focus and gets back to the isolation of the early games. Give TR it's identity back.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Nov 2018 12:42:04 8,442 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition (PS4)

Absolutely loved this. The Icewind Dale games were some of my favourite rpgs back in the day and this is basically just that again but the world feels so much bigger. Put just under 83 hours on the game clock completing every quest and task I could, recruiting all the companions and doing pretty much all the optional stuff too.

Loot is satisfying, lore is deep, characters well defined, world detailed and alive, quests epic. It's got it all and never felt like the kind of pointless filler busy work that stunk up Dragons Age Inquisition enough to put me off lengthy rpgs for years.

Only two mild criticisms would be that the load times get a bit long and some of the conversations you get into a super heavy on the lore dump exposition. I don't mind that it's a text heavy game since the content is so good but there are times when you'd rather be dungeon crawling than reading. Similar to the dreams in Lost Odyessy I suppose.

About the reading though - some of the illustrated choose your own adventure sections which are essentially all text are some of the most exciting sections of the game. A lot are a bit simple but the good ones are brilliant.

It's very obviously a total genre piece in terms of setting (D&D in all but name) and gameplay (Baldurs Gate etc) but it does it all so very very well.

9.6 / 10
  • dai_bonehead 30 Nov 2018 16:17:31 445 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Night in the Woods.

Great writing. Sums up how I feel about about a lot of things. Questionable discovery in the mine. I'm not sure it was required as a plot device.
  • Malek86 2 Dec 2018 11:48:49 7,909 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Titanfall 2 SP (PC)

I never say no to free games. On the other hand, this was just okay. There were some good ideas, and the parkour worked pretty well, but all of the routes are painfully obvious. I liked how it put the focus on going as quickly as possible, which often meant it was better to just run past the enemies instead of killing everone. And the level with the time fractures was cool at least. On the other hand, guns generally have no kick, and piloting the Titan usually feels disappointing.

The plot is like the Disney version of a war movie that makes no sense and yet is 100% predictable. I didn't really care about the robot buddy setup. Mostly because every time he saves my butt, it is too obviously scripted. He never really helps in gameplay, and the dialogue prompts never amount to anything. The war sequences, again, were the most predictable in the game.

(I really don't like the modern style of shooters, where they want you to feel like you are part of a team, even though you are the one doing all the job. If you want to make me feel like I'm a small cog in a bigger design, give me the original Rainbow Six or something, not this watered down stuff. If you want me to be the last action hero, then don't pretend I'm something less than that)

Ultimately, there are some good ideas in there, but they never come together into a must-play. But it was short, less than 5 hours according to the app, so whatever.

7/10

Edited by Malek86 at 12:02:02 02-12-2018
  • uiruki 2 Dec 2018 12:18:41 4,719 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    54. The Messenger - Switch - 3/5

Fine, I guess, overall. A bit of a "mixed bag". Some frustrating sections kind of undermine it a little, and it does feel a bit like they had the premise and then fit the game around it which doesn't help pacing. Good music though.

Edited by uiruki at 12:19:11 02-12-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 2 Dec 2018 13:18:07 4,599 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Civ 6 - beaten with a science victory. 10/10

My first 4X game and it took over every spare minute I had. Super glad I bought it on switch and will go back to it after a little break.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.