Following Recently Completed Games Page 567

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Dec 2018 13:57:05 4,679 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Valkyria Chronicles 4 - PS4 - 9/10

Beaten the campaign and the true-ending route, but still got post-game content to do. That was pretty much what I wanted from a new Valkyria Chronicles game. A lot more of the tactical combat from the first game, with a likeable new cast and some important balance tweaks. The scout-rush tactic remains viable for some capture-the-enemy-base missions, but a combination of new units (turrets and grenadiers) plus missions with different objectives forces a more balanced playstyle in general.

For most of the playthrough, I loved this. So why not a 10/10?

The ending kinda sucks and is a huge anticlimax. That's one problem. The other is the appearance of a few unpleasant Japanese WW2-tropes (absent from the earlier games in the series). You see these a lot in anime and Japanese games these days and I can post at more length if necessary, but... yeah... let's just leave it there. Worth noting modern German culture (outside of its resurgent far-right) has no real equivalent.

That left a slightly sour taste. But other than that, an awesome game.
  • ghearoid 2 Dec 2018 21:43:32 3,125 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia 3DS

Quite a different Fire Emblem experience with no weapon triangle and no axe units on your team. The story was predictable, but I still enjoyed it as the characters are very likeable.

My main criticism is that the maps were bland compared to Awakening and Fates. Too many expansive fields with no obstacles to overcome.

Overall, I give it a toot since I do love the gameplay and settings of the Fire Emblem series 7/10.
  • FatSternKikwi 2 Dec 2018 21:50:38 1,669 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rogueywon

A shame when that pops up. The Yakuza series is one of my favourite but similarly has some offensive moments which I wish they could fix in translation.

Still glad to hear it's a great game as I loved the first valkyria.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Dec 2018 22:01:05 4,679 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @FatSternKikwi Not fixable in translation in this case - it's part of the main plot. It's the old trope where WMD are reduced to an unmitigated absolute evil (in VC4's case, triggering them involves actively murdering an actual little girl, just so you know it's reaaaaaaaaaaaally evil) and any other moral considerations are immediately over-ridden. So in VC4's case, the Empire, which across the whole series is an amalgam of Nazi Germany and Stalinist USSR, is immediately pretty much forgiven all its sins as soon as it looks like the US-equivalent might use a nuke.

It's a slightly unnerving tendency you sometimes come across in anime and Japanese games (and their broader media/politics) to airbrush Japan's WW2 conduct and see the atomic bombings as having forgiven all of their sins and rendered them the victims. You get it both from the left (due to a general anti-Americanism) and the hard right (who wish they'd never lost) and once you've seen it come up, you start to understand why even modern day South Korea sometimes gets pretty narked with Japan over the issue. That's not to say you can't debate the ethics of the atomic bombings/allied bombing of Germany, but this isn't the way to do it (and as I say, Germany has no real equivalent).
  • uiruki 3 Dec 2018 22:34:08 4,719 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    55. Warriors Orochi 4 - PC - 3/5

Tough one to rate. The fighting's as good as it has been for a while, but everything around it isn't great. The story's worthless, over half of the characters are useless, everyone takes too long to unlock (Xiahou Dun right at the end?) and once you finally unlock everyone that's it for the story, and there's nothing else to do apart from going for higher ranks.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Dec 2018 04:17:35 18,925 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rogueywon

What's your view on the historical parallels and accuracy of the swimsuit DLC? Originally I thought it was going to debate the merits (or lack thereof) of the invasion of Normandy, but then I realised that it was mostly a bit of fluff to add a bit of T&A to the proceedings.

But seriously, I can't think of a single military power in history that doesn't push the crimes of its soldiers and commanders under the rug, after the fighting is over. Which doesn't make it OK or anything, but I don't know why Japan in particular should be singled out.

Anyway, it's not like you're exactly wrong or anything. There is indeed a place and a way to discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of, for example, incinerating entire cities of men, women and children in order to theoretically make a ground invasion of a country unnecessary, and that place and way is probably not through a videogame with swimsuit DLC.

But what else were you expecting? Shades of grey?
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Dec 2018 06:22:02 4,596 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I kinda think it was less of Japan trying to absolve itself and more a commentary on the IUS continuing with the bombing even after the war had basically ended.

They didn’t really delve into them forgiving the empire, they just didn’t kill innocents.
  • RyanDS 4 Dec 2018 08:39:08 12,275 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Japan is a pretty far outlier in terms of sweeping stuff under the rug. All countries have done it to an extent, but Japan is in holocaust denials levels of ridiculousness about it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Dec 2018 08:46:53 4,679 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @RyanDS Yeah, that's my point really. You see it in Japanese politics, particularly from their current Government. But it happens a lot in their popular media as well and it's not, unlike in other countries, something you only see from the ultra-nationalists. A lot of their periodic blow-ups with China and South Korea are sparked by something in a TV drama or manga, rather than something a politician has done or said (though China is hardly innocent either).

It would be less striking if Japan's popular culture wasn't so thoroughly WW2-obsessed. WW2 themes come up in their media constantly, in a way that's fairly rare now in the rest of the world (the UK probably being their only real competition). The earlier Valkyria Chronicles game dealt with it fairly gracefully by sticking firmly to European-theatre themes, but VC4 goes into more uncomfortable territory in places.
  • PazJohnMitch 5 Dec 2018 16:24:25 13,987 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Octopath Traveler
    A JRPG that does away with the usual World saving tale to tell 8 much more personal stories instead. Each are divided into 4 chapters that are accessed at locations around the map.

During the course of the stories you get to know each of the characters and their differing personalities. The members in your selected team (of 4) will chat to each other at random points throughout the story and offer advice to the character whose story chapter you are playing.

All 8 characters are pretty good but Tressa easily became my favourite by the end. (And Ophelia my least liked). From a fighting perspective the Scholar (wizard) Cyrus is the most useful but the thief Therion is really the character the player should select as he is the only one that can open certain chests in the overworld (and therefore needs to be in the party at all times). I however chose the dancer (Primose) as I liked the dancer class in Etrian Odyssey. (Turns out it is less useful here but she was still a solid choice. All are to be fair).

The battle system is turn based but has a 1-4 times power up mechanic. This can either by used to do multiple attacks of the same type to lower an enemies defences or power up a charged attack when they are vulnerable. These mechanics work very well and keep the game fairly interesting and fairly challenging without having to grind. (Until you figure out how to make Cyrus unstoppable that is).

It took me about 85 hours to complete all 8 stories. So it is pretty sizeable. I did not complete all the side quests or tackle some of the harder dungeons. (However it was starting to drag a little by the end once I had completed the stories of my favoured characters).

Generally a great game that I really enjoyed. Possibly a bit difficult to recommend though as a lot of people seem to abandon about 20 hours in.

8/10
  • Darth_Flibble 6 Dec 2018 10:07:27 3,216 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Qube 2
    Nice little puzzle game, given away on Games with Gold at the minute. Reminds me bit of portal mixed with Turing test but use cubes to solve puzzles. Some nice imagery breaks up the bland cube levels. Only gets tricky near the end but its more down to timing to get objects coated in oil then set on fire and thrown across the room to progress as you making jump blocks etc

8/10

The Gardens between
    On Game pass, its nice but very short puzzle type game where you rewind time and push it forward to get light orbs. Really nice graphics and laid back soundtrack. I wouldn't buy it as its so short but if you have game pass, its worth playing

8/10
  • Graxlar_v3 6 Dec 2018 23:21:49 4,596 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    My hero: one justice 8/10

A pretty decent 3D anime fighting game in the vain of the naruto ninja storms.

A fair chunk of offline content with a pretty chunky story mode (goes through about a seasons worth of the show (from the start of the internships to the kidnap rescue) from both the heroes and the villains side as well as a mission mode which seems to be complete missions with set objectives.
  • wuntyphyve 7 Dec 2018 11:16:01 11,039 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shadow of Mordor

Was incredibly easy but great fun and it didn't outstay it's welcome at just under 20 hrs with just a few side missions not done. Was planning on going back to RDR2 after it but have instead peeled back the fleshy curtain of Shadow of War and have dived headfirst into it. Orcs are too much fun to kill.
  • triarii 7 Dec 2018 12:03:14 384 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:

The Gardens between
    How short is "very short", Darth?
  • Darth_Flibble 7 Dec 2018 13:38:30 3,216 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @triarii

4 to 5 hours
  • AddyJB 7 Dec 2018 21:48:19 545 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Xbox one X

Red dead redemption 2
    Assassins Creed Origins

A couple of AAA open worlders. RDR2 wipes the floor with origins in terms of the actual world you inhabit. The attention to detail is immense. Ultimately I was slightly let down by the lack of variety in its missions and the lack of decent fast travel.

RDR2 - 7.5/10

Origins surprised me. I've pretty much disliked every creed game I've played but after hearing reports that they changed some mechanics I thought I'd give it a shot. I started this directly after finishing rdr2 and initially found it felt cheap in comparison, but then I realised I preferred the tight missions which were all in close proximity to each other and I found myself more engrossed in the Egyptian setting even though it's world isn't a patch on rockstars latest.

Anyway blitzed through it in a couple of weeks and preferred it to rdr2.

8/10
  • triarii 9 Dec 2018 11:40:31 384 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble
    Thanks!

Edited by triarii at 11:40:43 09-12-2018
  • Darth_Flibble 9 Dec 2018 12:12:13 3,216 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    SOMA (ps4)

Been wanting to try these game for ages but I like certain walking simulator games. its on psn+ and I'm glad I didn't buy it. I know some love the game but found it deeply over rated, they get the sound right as its creepy with headphones on (that part of the game is what they get right) Walking or crouch walking around avoiding enemies is dull as fuck (there is one point you are pulling out loads of chip cards to find one that works, there is 4 holders and its dull if you don't find it straight away. The underwater levels are quite dull, tbh if my house mate was not playing some of the levels I would of deleted it

Also the main character is dumb you repeatedly told you get copied when transferred and even happens to you when you get the new body but Simon gets pissed off at the end

5/10

Thief of Thieves season 1

On volume 1 is on xbox 1 at the minute, its ok and quite short, the movement feels a bit clunky. Will play the rest when released on xbox (also its on gamepass at the minute)
  • Phattso 9 Dec 2018 15:11:59 24,144 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Assassin's Creed: Oranges (PC/UPlay)

Really loved this game. Started it about a year ago, but got distracted by shiny and by being an idiot who didn't take the time to get into a game before moving on. I've changed now. ;)

Basically it's amazing. The first Ass Creed game that really hides the busywork well and/or changes the context and reward such that it doesn't matter. Came to enjoy the loot and upgrade system, came to enjoy travelling by horse rather than fast travel, even the combat is a massive step up from what had come before even if still not especially taxing on the difficulty I chose.

Clearing camps/forts/whatever and collecting their loot was fully entertaining even after 60 hours, basically taking a massive page out of the Far Cry playbook and grafting it onto Ass Creed really well.

Couldn't resist the DLC in the recent sale, too. All in I think I spent around Ł32 on the whole shebang and, with 65 hours on the clock, I'm really happy that it's the "right" price for one of these games. I say that given that it's basically a dozen static mission types with a mix 'n' match cast and acres of completely skipable dialogue. :)

Boss encounters on the last DLC slightly tarnished the experience, but other than that it's only common sense and a touch of burnout that's stopping me from buying Odyssey right now.

Recomeded bordering on Essetial. 9/10
  • splosh 9 Dec 2018 19:55:52 97 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Pokemon Let's Go (Pikachu)

A nice game. Nothing too special about it. While I liked the ease of the catch mechanic to gain experience I felt that it made the battles a little frustrating as it slowed things down. However I did like the addition of the Coach trainers who would give you a unique reward after battling.

I enjoyed the catch combos and managed to catch two shiny Pokemon
    Didn't like the motion controls or the trade and battle system being locked behind codes and I felt that it could have taken some of the 3ds games features like random trades.

Story is more or less the same except that your rival isn't a piece of shit this time.

Looking forward to seeing what they do next.

Overall a solid 7/10
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Dec 2018 09:54:59 4,596 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The Messenger 7/10

If they had split this in half and released two games, I actually would have been super impressed. The first half is a 9/10 game easily and I loved it. The second half, was not the same game and I struggled with the change in direction. This meant that I kinda let the game fall by the wayside for a bit before picking it up and finishing it over the weekend.
  • Graxlar_v3 11 Dec 2018 22:59:22 4,596 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Furi 7/10

Some of the best fights I have come across but man some of them were brutal.

Finished it in just under 7 hours with 197 deaths :/.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 12 Dec 2018 09:02:00 438 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mafia III on PC.
    Please, DO NOT read spoilers if you have not completed the game! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
    Pros:
    + almost movie-like cut-scenes, excellently voice-acted
    + stealth-based killing slightly reminiscent of old MGS games
    + good driving physics, IMHO
    + I was actually moved by Father James's final speech - has not happened to me in a game for a LONG time. (of course I chose the "good" ending)
    Cons (there are too many):
    - game way too long, Steam clock says 42 hours but it felt more like 80
    - way too many repetitive missions
    - way too much driving, no fast travel, although the driving felt good
    - excessive swearing, I know it's about mafia but that was too much
    - way too brutal murders of main villains (see previous point)
    - over the top racism. I know it's there on purpose but still
    - inability to save manually - the game saves automatically for you which may cause problems
    - encountered a few almost game-breaking bugs, luckily there is a "reload last checkpoint" option which helped
    - game takes too long to "click", I was actually considering abandoning it at various points
    - the "extra" ending cut-scene with Donovan killing the senator was really unnecessary, WTF was the point of that?. I disliked the Donovan character anyway, he smokes too much

8/10

Overall an enjoyable experience with a memorable story, but could have been shorter and more "compact". I doubt I will ever replay it. If I had to listen to one more song by CCR I would puke, LOL.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 11:04:08 12-12-2018
  • monsieur-Cosmo 12 Dec 2018 09:09:01 438 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ghearoid 12 Dec 2018 12:14:07 3,125 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pokémon Let's Go, Eevee! Switch

This game has been so much fun! I wasn't going to get it, but I decided to Ignore the online Team Rocket grunt negativity surrounding the game and try it for myself.

I enjoyed the changes to the game, catching wild pokémon has been quite addictive and this is the first time I've bothered to complete my pokédex after competing the story. Seeing the wild pokémon in the overworld really adds to the game and it was always exciting to spot a new one I didn't already have.

I played it mainly docked and sitting down on the sofa just using a single joycon in my left hand was so relaxing. It was perfect comfort gaming.

I'll give it 8/10, it's super effective! :)
  • The_Goon 12 Dec 2018 12:19:48 1,123 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ghearoid wrote:I played it mainly docked and sitting down on the sofa just using a single joycon in my left hand was so relaxing. It was perfect comfort gaming.
    What were you doing with your right hand??....:eek:
  • ghearoid 12 Dec 2018 12:45:50 3,125 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ooh, saucy!
  • kentmonkey 12 Dec 2018 13:21:58 22,763 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    /squirtle
  • monsieur-Cosmo 12 Dec 2018 14:57:17 438 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fixed.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.