Following Recently Completed Games Page 568

• SnackPlissken 16 Dec 2018 10:37:45 606 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Final Fantasy VIII. This is about 18 years in the making for me. I managed to get to disc 3 all those years ago, then hit a brick wall. Iíve now managed to complete it on the PSP. I felt I rushed through a lot of it, as my completion time is 40 hours, and I didnít max out the highest spells, but all you really need is the GF abilities, and Aura for limit breaks and youíre done. I read a few guides, and people saying junction is broken, as you can get triples really early, and also donít level up because the monsters level with you... and i think thatís part of the problem. I could have played it differently, but the exploits are there you for to use. Even the infinite Gil trick..
    Anyway kind of enjoyed it. Iíd say the first two discs were superb, but the plot tailed off towards the end, and I had to look up what the hell the ending meant.
  • Malek86 16 Dec 2018 11:16:30 8,041 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My favorite bit of FF8 was that I didn't really want to use a guide for anything other than reading where to find rare items, so I didn't actually know about the leveling system. I just grinded everyone to level 100 like I always do.

Luckily, it still wasn't all that hard. Even with the monsters at level 100, junction magic will still break the game for the most part.
  • SnackPlissken 16 Dec 2018 11:30:07 606 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    I used the guide, as Iíd already got to disc 3 and I wanted to get back to that part as quickly as possible! My party were all level 23-30. The only grind is getting the magic, which towards the end got a bit boring.
    Iím not sure where I rate the game in the ones Iíve completed. Might be down there with 15.. some great moments, but a bit of a mess.
  • Malek86 16 Dec 2018 11:51:48 8,041 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It was a bit like 15, but without the actually fun character interactions. Also, the battle system of FF15 was fun. Not so much here. Eh.... I guess it wasn't really like FF15. It was kinda its own thing. I haven't replayed it since.

I almost never play JRPGs nowadays. But right now I'm digging my way through Final Fantasy 1 again (the Origins version, not the GBA-based ones with watered down magic system and difficulty).. At roughly 10 hours in, I think I've already managed to get past the point where I give up due to boredom.

Edited by Malek86 at 11:57:18 16-12-2018
  • SnackPlissken 16 Dec 2018 12:13:54 606 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    I agree with you there on 15s battle system, that was very fun. Letís not talk about that walking corridor chapter...which I think they patched in the end?
    Iím the same I never really play them either, but had an itch to get it done. Iíve got Chrono Trigger lined up next but I might wait on it. Actuallly got an itch to play Resident Evil 3 now..

Edited by SnackPlissken at 12:14:13 16-12-2018
  • RedPanda87 16 Dec 2018 15:53:47 1,855 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

Really good. Probably my favourite of the series in fact. After 2 I didn't feel the need for another, which is why it's taken me a while to play this, but this one has left me wanting more. Still, if that's all we get it went out on a high.
  • Rens11 16 Dec 2018 18:20:55 1,814 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Red Dead Redemption 2 PS4 Pro

Starting with the negatives the controls are over complicated and the game feels restrictive in that every animation requires you to approach from the right angle. You will often find yourself moving back and forward to get in the right spot to then trigger an animation that takes too long to do simple things such as looting enemies.
    Despite tweaking the controls to switch running to L3 and tweaking the sensitivity and dead zone of the sticks I never felt like I had decent control while aiming. Maybe the inevitable PC version with 60 FPS or the next gen console versions will fare better.

The positives far outweigh the negatives for me though. The highlight is the setting; the world truly feels alive so many tiny details that add to the authenticity everything has been placed with purpose, none of the cookie cutter Unisoft open world design here. So many side activities to partake in I feel like I've barely scratched the surface despite playing for approx 60 hours.
    Prior to launch I wasn't hyped despite loving the first game. Arthur Morgan didn't appeal to me in the slightest nor was I interested in a prequel. I won't spoil anything here story wise but Arthur is one of the most well written and believable characters ever to grace a game. I wish I could erase it from my memory so I can play it again

10/10
  • lordofdeadside 16 Dec 2018 20:42:05 1,347 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Red Dead Redemption 2 (Xb1 X)

I feel completely conflicted about this one. For everything great in it (and there are some amazing moments), there's something dull or frustrating.

The story, core characters and the world are just amazing. Arthur's character and his relationship with Dutch and the others close to him was so well written, genuinely had me gripped like some of the best TV series. Maybe a few too many characters tho, I didn't really care about most of the camp.

Visually it's incredible, the environments, the vistas and in particular the lighting are just stunning. There are the occasional moments where a bad texture, or low polygon model show up and it looks a bit last gen, but 99% of the time it's just fantastic.

However, it feels like a very early open world game to play. I was constantly fighting with the controls, struggling to make the horse or Arthur do what I wanted. It also suffers from a laundry list of things that games have long since moved away from, removing your weapons, unclear mission objectives, random enemies spawning in, game overs for random reasons, poor shooting controls.

There's also a load of systems which either didn't seem to have any effect or were just frustrating; the cores, cleaning your gun and your horse, temperature, the galloping mechanic.

It also could have done with about half the missions cutting out and the epilogues were so tedious.

Overall I did enjoy it, but I did find it not particularly fun to play in between the story beats. Probably my favourite Rockstar game though!

75%

Edited by lordofdeadside at 20:43:35 16-12-2018
  • RyanDS 17 Dec 2018 08:38:42 12,409 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Was okay I suppose. It looked pretty, and... I finished it, so couldn't be too bad.

All just a bit meh really.

God of War

Now this was fucking epic. Great characters, great story, amazing visuals, brilliant little stories as you row around the lake. Side quests that are just as epic and well constructed as the main one.

And meaty combat that never got old or stale.

A very solid 10/10
  • Graxlar_v3 17 Dec 2018 18:40:52 4,777 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Gris - a beautiful game but the actual gameplay letís it down, at least on switch. There are some curious design decisions that let it down but if really is beautiful.
  • uiruki 17 Dec 2018 20:05:34 4,720 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    56. Dark Souls Remastered - PC - 4/5

Now I know what's going on, this was a pleasure to play through. I dropped it for a bit but got right back in and did the last two thirds in a couple of weeks. I ended up missing the aggression and human-sized boss encounters of Bloodborne but the mechanical feel of dodging, blocking and responding remained excellent. Lots to do as well. Ran fine on my PC, appreciated 21:9 but shame it was limited to 60fps.
  • Darth_Flibble 17 Dec 2018 20:36:56 3,247 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Never Alone

Its on games with gold at the minute, It was ok mostly but the AI can be really thick if you don't play co-op and get make you restart from the last checkpoint if they die. Also the jump can be a bit shit at times (numerous times instead of grabbing the ledge, the girl character will float in mid air near the cliff edge then fall and die. The second half of the game after the fox "dies" gets more annoying. Nice graphics and you learn a few things about the Inuit people.

6/10
  • Malek86 17 Dec 2018 20:52:26 8,041 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    I ended up missing the aggression and human-sized boss encounters of Bloodborne but the mechanical feel of dodging, blocking and responding remained excellent.
    Funny thing, when Dark Souls 2 came out, one of the criticisms was that it had too many human-sized bosses in comparison to the first one.

I was one of the complainers back then, but in retrospect, today I think it's better that way. Smaller bosses make almost always for a fairer fight.

Edited by Malek86 at 20:53:14 17-12-2018
  • robthehermit 18 Dec 2018 01:21:35 7,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ashen 8/10

Dark Souls for beginners. Challenging but without any real brick walls, some grinding for upgrades in the early stages but later in the game when you *need* to have the best equipment it throws souls and materials at you. Combat is weighty with some satisfying thuds. Loved the art style and the sound is top notch too. Fairly short all things considered though and the asking price is maybe a little steep.
  • Timmy 21 Dec 2018 14:51:55 9,169 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've been a right little hardcore JRPG gamer recently.

I've replayed and completed Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn and Skies of Arcadia Legends.

I've just made a start on Baten Kaitos as well. I forgot how beautiful the scenary in the game is. Even through the Wii composite cable. Very impressive!
  • SnackPlissken 23 Dec 2018 22:32:00 606 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Full Throttle Remastered. I completely missed this when I was a kid (being a huge Day of the Tentacle fan I donít know how). Anyway I remember downloading this about 5/6 years ago and played it on scummv up until about half way through, and I canít remember why I stopped. Having now just completed it, I seem to remember why now, as it really isnít that good of an adventure game. Sure it has the classic humour, but some of the mechanics I just didnít like at all, like the Road Rash lite fighting are an annoyance. Also itís really short, not too many environments, and thereís a bunch of colourful characters, but only a few stand out.
    Still I guess itís an interesting piece of history, as you could see elements of what would become a true classic in Grim Fandango.
  • dominalien 24 Dec 2018 07:19:02 8,954 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I also missed that back when, only completing it in ScummVM perhaps 10 years ago when I spotted a pristine Mac version in a store (which obvs wouldn't run as-is). I played all the other LA adventures but this looked too different and the reviews said it was different so I never felt excited for it.

I'm glad I played it, but don't have particularly strong memories of it. I did get the free FTR recently, maybe a kid in the house will play it some day.
  • dominalien 24 Dec 2018 07:20:37 8,954 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh, and I never played Grim Fandango either (too different as well, probably?) I have it now on Vita and possibly other platforms as well and am going to play it (maybe even this year?); I wonder if I come to appreciate it like I would 20 years ago.
  • PazJohnMitch 24 Dec 2018 07:53:09 14,064 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Smash Bros Ultimate

I have got 100% on World of Light and I think I have unlocked all the Spirit Board Spirits. (There are still new Spirits appearing in shops though and I have not completed Classic Mode with all characters or finished the challenge boards).

Overall it is a vast improvement over earlier games, especially in single player.

All in all it is exactly what the name suggests, t is the ultimate version of Smash Bros and is everything that encapsulates. If you have enjoyed Smash previously I think you will enjoy this more. If you hated Smash previously, then you are really going to hate this.

9/10
  • SnackPlissken 24 Dec 2018 09:09:48 606 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Oh, and I never played Grim Fandango either (too different as well, probably?) I have it now on Vita and possibly other platforms as well and am going to play it (maybe even this year?); I wonder if I come to appreciate it like I would 20 years ago.
    Iíd say it still holds up really well. I remember having loads of trouble back in the day in the forest with the sign, but I didnít when I played the remaster? Iíd say the majority of the puzzles are fairly straightforward and rewarding. Makes you wonder how they completely mishandled Broken Age (well I didnít like it anyway).

Edited by SnackPlissken at 09:11:31 24-12-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Dec 2018 09:16:02 4,902 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @SnackPlissken Full Throttle's also really, really short, isn't it? The playtime gets padded a bit by a couple of spectacularly obtuse puzzles, but I seem to remember it being about half the length of some of the other Lucasarts games of the same era.
  • SnackPlissken 24 Dec 2018 09:48:31 606 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @Rogueywon Yep itís about 4 hours long. Agreed on the puzzles, as I had to cheat and look at a guide for some of them toward the end of the game. I would have been pissed if Iíd bought this when it came out, but I probably would have been stuck for a few more hours trying to figure out a few of the puzzles.
    I think itís made me want to go back and complete Thimbleweed Park now, but thatís not even that good either :( I might do some research and see if thereís been any better adventure games over the past few years.
  • Darth_Flibble 24 Dec 2018 11:44:18 3,247 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mutant Year Zero

Finally got to the end and I enjoyed it, despite some artificial difficulty and RNG shit. Most of the game you will be sneaking through levels to find new gear and metal scraps then going back to old levels to mop up enemies to level up. The artificial difficulty and grinding adds to the game length (you go to a new area and enemies have jumped in level)

Unlike xcom you need to pick off lone enemies where you can and I like that difference. Finding a new weapon or armour can mean you progress a bit further.
    I like the characters view on the destroyed world, the old world objects that the "ancients" might of used them for.

The ending was quite short and cliffhanger bait for a sequel. I guessed the mutants where test subjects at the ark. But you learn very little about what happened to the world apart from apart from the nukes

I hope there is a sequel and its on gamepass which is a great way to play it

8/10
  • OllyJ 24 Dec 2018 12:01:13 4,284 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dark Souls 3 + Both DLC's

Absolute perfection for me, all the bosses were spot on balanced, the environments were varied with some nice callbacks to previous titles (including Demon's Souls!!). Seems like From really nailing the formula.

Highlights were - Returning to a ruined Anor Londo, Champion Gundyr fight,the killing hit on The Nameless king after hours of trying, The Music for the Demon prince fight, the atmosphere inside Firelink, the co-op that never fails to be the most polite gaming experience available, and the absolute absurd size of some of the weapons.

Roll on Sekiro!!

10/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Dec 2018 14:22:09 4,902 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fire Emblem Warriors (Switch) - 7/10

Completed courtesy of some gaming-at-desk time on a very, very quiet day in the office. Hadn't realised I was so close to the end of the story mode. I know there's a shedload of post-game content, but I'm counting the game as completed a this point.

A very well-made game in many respects. High production values, decent performance and a neat meshing together of the two franchises. Much better than both Hyrule Warriors and the more recent main-series entries in the Dynasty Warriors franchise.

Unfortunately, though, some of the limitations of the Dynasty Warriors franchise are very much on display here. The moment-to-moment combat is remarkably simplistic. The "tactics" side of the game feels largely unnecessary (I finished the story mode while barely ever using it). The loot system is fiddly and feels largely unnecessary.

Omega Force might have pretty much invented the Musou genre, but they're no longer the best in town at it. The Marvelous games (Fate/Extella and Senran Kagura in particular) have much, much better moment-to-moment combat within the same genre, importing elements from fighting games to give a much more satisfying set of combos, counters, cancels and air/ground-games switch-ups, while stripping away (pun kind-of intended in respect of Senran Kagura) some of the unnecessary cruft. Compared to that, the basic button-mashing combat and limited move-set of the Omega Force titles is feeling really dated.

Still, it was a fun enough game while it lasted. Neat to see some of the Fire Emblem: Fates characters rendered to a much higher standard than was possible on the 3DS.
  • Graxlar_v3 28 Dec 2018 16:35:40 4,777 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @SpoilerPolice statute of limitations!
  • lordofdeadside 28 Dec 2018 19:16:47 1,347 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ashen

Enjoyable Dark Souls clone with a unique visual style and world that does enough to stand on it's own. It starts a little slowly, but once you get into it's loop and structure it's really compelling. The two major dungeons are genuinely brilliant, if anything it could have done with a few more.

8/10

The Gardens Between

Decent enough puzzle game with a nice time rewind mechanic. I wasn't grabbed by the story and don't really get a connection between it and the gameplay. I'm also not a huge fan of the character or level art style although graphically it looked pretty good.

6/10
  • Bichii 28 Dec 2018 23:51:07 895 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Throne breaker.

Amazing, fantastic story and every battle is fun and unique. Loads of tough choices to make with uncertain consequences. One of the years best.

9/10
  • Tomo 29 Dec 2018 00:57:04 16,250 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Throne breaker.

Amazing, fantastic story and every battle is fun and unique. Loads of tough choices to make with uncertain consequences. One of the years best.

9/10
    Interesting... Love a good card game and Witcher is great.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.