Following Recently Completed Games Page 569

• simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Dec 2018 09:31:17 8,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tetris Effect

Not completed since its Tetris but I have completed the journey/story mode a few times over Christmas.

It's really magical stuff. Whoever thought that they should reinvent Tetris as something transcendent and euphoric was genius.

Each stage (apart from that bastard Hula one) is an absolute joy and marvel to play, completely absorbing and utterly mesmerising.

I didn't play in VR but if I did I imagine it would end up like some cautionary sci-fi story about a game that's so much more stimulating and pleasurable than real life the players wither and die with their helmets on.

The soundtrack is fantastic too the pop songs could all be genuine hits, the trance anthems the equal of anything available in clubs and the atmospheric ones inspired choices. The jazz level where you're playing along to the juddering timescales of the piano, oh man.

Basically its a huge game of the year contender for me and just a brilliant reconnection with what classic gameplay can do.

10/10
  • iddy1994 29 Dec 2018 10:38:27 1 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    Completed Rd2 but i don't really think it was worth it tbh, [spoilers] after you finish the game you know who (not voldemort)dies it really should've ended there and not continue with john and those boring missions
  • StixxUK 29 Dec 2018 11:28:35 8,081 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tomo anyone else thinking this would be amazing on Switch (having not actually played it, but in principle a puzzley card game...)

Edit: just checked and apparently it's not coming. Shame!

Edited by StixxUK at 11:34:02 29-12-2018
  • Gunzberg 29 Dec 2018 11:45:52 2,661 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AC Odyssey + Episode 1 of DLC, 100% 101 hours on Xbox One X in 4K

9/10

Looks glorious, love the RPG mechanics, world is huge, never dull, ridiculous amount of content, massive number of small design improvements over Origins that make the game even more pleasurable. The shite modern day stuff is kept to an absolute minimum (in 100 hours playtime about 5-10min)

Some points taken off as in 100 hours it crashed, froze a couple of times, it misses a feature to mass deconstruct items rather than one at a time, some locations could have been a bit more exotic rather than another animal cave, bandit nest, ruins etc. Also I am personally more a fan of Ancient Egypt than Greece but nevertheless I have the Gold Edition so looking forward to the upcoming DLC Episodes.

It was a choice of this or RDR2 when I was picking it up and after reading the "honest" user reviews of what RDR2 is actually like to play I am glad I picked this one up.

I recommend!
  • Malek86 29 Dec 2018 12:03:58 8,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wonder why they insist with the modern day story device in AC, since at this point I really doubt anyone cares (or, if they did at one point, I doubt they still care now).

I liked the weird out-of-time areas in Unity, but admittedly you still retained control of Arno, so it was more like a detour rather than a straight real world sequence.
  • Gunzberg 29 Dec 2018 12:42:55 2,661 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Agree, the modern day stuff has always been atrocious, thank god it is utterly minimal now
  • RyanDS 29 Dec 2018 18:02:52 12,409 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Crash Trilogy on the Switch

Made a nice change after so many RPGs and open world games to just have a linear pick up and play game. It was very mixed, I loved it, but it was so frustrating, switch almost went out the window a few times

First was super hard, but rewarding. Second was the best, just the right balance of difficulty. Third was rather annoying, too many mini games, I hated the jet ski for instance.

Still, I finished them all, loved them for the nostalgia, and would love to see a new game in that style.

7/10
  • JoelStinty 29 Dec 2018 20:45:37 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pokemon Lets Go

Completion time: 29 hours to main credits.

Ok. My first Pokemon game and although there were little things I liked about the game I found it pretty sterile. I can see why people love it but the whole collecting thing didnít grab me. Itís a pleasant little game but one i felt passive through a fair bit of it.

3/5
  • DUFFMAN5 30 Dec 2018 07:22:23 23,938 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    Xbox
    Time: 25+ hours
    Cheveos 650/1000
    Skill: normal

Really enjoyed it, have started new game + already to mop up some things, in hindsight I should have just carried on post game of course as I was halfway through many sides, oh well.

Anyway the game as I previously mentioned, really is RotTR 2.1. Luckily I enjoyed the previous games so that was not a major issue.
    The story is end of the world/cults type affair as always and although I only completed last night, I couldn't go into detail about a great deal as I have forgotten.

Lara hacks, swings,climbs,swims,sows,skins,shoots,trades and makes camp wherever she wants. And importantly she does it all with style.

A very stately 8/10
  • Chug666 30 Dec 2018 16:45:15 515 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Add me to the list of those that have reached the end of Red Dead 2. As others have said, I thought it was a brilliant world containing a good story told in ok missions but slightly hampered by clunky controls. As with everything else rockstar have done I had to focus on the main stuff to stand any chance of finishing the story, and the side stuff (including the whole collecting/cooking/crafting loop) seemed a bit redundant- but I appreciate purists may well think differently. Nit picking aside, it is an epic, hugely polished game, very glad I played it but I'm now ready for something else!

I think 8.5/10 for single player alone (no interest in online myself, I'm an antisocial bugger)
  • JoelStinty 30 Dec 2018 22:42:12 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Watch dogs

Surprised how quickly I got through this. I hit it pretty hard over the last week with time off. Decent. Has some interesting ideas and itís hacking stuff is something that does set it apart from other AAA titles. Some fun side missions but it is world which feels a bit dead. There is no real urge to explore it beyond its main missions. Was very much a go here do that game. Although I may missed it on that as I raced through it.

3.5/5
  • dominalien 31 Dec 2018 08:49:12 8,954 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice

I can't be objective as these games are like a warm blanket on a cold rainy autumn day for me, but it's just great. I have gripes, but they're drowned in an ocean of wonder. The final case is the best in the series yet. It's even quite leggy.

9/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 Dec 2018 09:02:49 4,902 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I suspect I'm an hour or two from the end of Rise of the Tomb Raider. Could easily have finished it yesterday but... I found myself delaying the completion so I can score it as a quick-win in the 52-in-52 challenge for 2019 (having horribly failed in 2018).
  • DUFFMAN5 31 Dec 2018 09:03:28 23,938 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Watch dogs

Surprised how quickly I got through this. I hit it pretty hard over the last week with time off. Decent. Has some interesting ideas and itís hacking stuff is something that does set it apart from other AAA titles. Some fun side missions but it is world which feels a bit dead. There is no real urge to explore it beyond its main missions. Was very much a go here do that game. Although I may missed it on that as I raced through it.

3.5/5
    Did you try online, some great modes and lots of fun.
    I really liked WD and thought WD 2 improved virtually every aspect of the game, totally recommend.
  • JoelStinty 31 Dec 2018 09:28:35 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Watch dogs

3.5/5
    Did you try online, some great modes and lots of fun.

I really liked WD and thought WD 2 improved virtually every aspect of the game, totally recommend.
    Not yet. I will give it a whirl at some point. Got invaded a few times so there should be some people online as well. Think the game might become my podcast game for a while as I hoover up collectibles
  • welshben1982 31 Dec 2018 15:18:42 1,274 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    iddy1994 wrote:
    Completed Rd2 but i don't really think it was worth it tbh, [spoilers] after you finish the game you know who (not voldemort)dies it really should've ended there and not continue with john and those boring missions
  • RedPanda87 31 Dec 2018 15:44:34 1,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hitman 2

Was expecting more of the same, which it kind of was, but on a larger scale, with more consistently great levels and slightly more sheen. It's the closest yet to perfecting the formula. Probably my GoTY, though that's not saying much as I've really not loved much that's come out this year.

9/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jan 2019 14:21:10 4,902 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PC) - 7/10

This actually does a lot of things right. I liked the reduced emphasis on combat compared to the last two games. I liked the greater focus on tombs and crypts, some of which had decent puzzles reminiscent of the old games. I generally liked the semi-open-world stuff, which had some decent metroidvania mechanics, albeit with a bit too much collectible-hunting on the sides.

Unfortunately, this has some of the worst writing I've ever seen in a game. Almost every line of dialogue is utterly cringeworthy. Compared to this, the average Michael Bey movie sounds like Shakespeare. Hell, even Lucas's Star Wars prequel dialogue was better than this. Lara herself is utterly, utterly hateful. She's by turns whiny, self-centred, entitled and patronising. And my word the game wants you to hear a lot of her. If it was just in skippable cutscenes, that would be one thing. But there are far too many "walk around slowly while the awful dialogue plays out" segments.

Overall, the good outweighs the bad, but the bad is very much real.
  • Gunzberg 1 Jan 2019 16:11:14 2,661 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The City that never sleeps, Spider-Man DLC, all 3 parts. Picked it up in the sale for 10 squid and thought it was quite decent apart from the dogshite Screwball, timed challenges, good luck trying to get the best rating on that.

Overall a solid 7.5/10
  • dominalien 1 Jan 2019 21:29:12 8,954 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Persona 4 on PS2.

Finally finished this, after 9 years after getting it.
    I really donít know why I took so long, except that I found the dungeons tedious (still much better than P3ís tower), so I was getting burned out on it after a few days play and sometimes took years to go back in.

I only managed to get 3 links to the max, but I did manage to max my stats and get the very good ending. Main character level 87 I think with little grinding except for doing every frigging dungeon twice to do the optional boss, all missions done, 81% of personas, 150 hours according to the save game counter, but easily 10-20 more due to deaths in dungeons and from bosses.

I am now done. Thank god.

This would be my favourite game of all time if not for the dungeon crawling. Still,

9/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jan 2019 21:49:55 4,902 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @dominalien Only three social links maxed?

Straight back to NG+ for you then, my lad...
  • dominalien 1 Jan 2019 21:55:18 8,954 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I would, if not for the tedious dungeons. I think I'll celebrate by starting with P5 one of these days.

Edit: I had most social links at 7-8, wasn't hurrying much since the game started in April and told me I'd have a year. Little did I know I did not... :-(

Edited by dominalien at 21:56:14 01-01-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jan 2019 10:11:15 4,902 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @dominalien Hah, yes, Persona games never give you the full year. The story hits its climax in December (possibly January in Persona 3 - I forget), then you fast-forward back to March/April.

But yes, start Persona 5. It's a fantastic game (one of the best of the current generation in my opinion). It has a different approach to dungeon design than 3 and 4. The main story dungeons are not procedurally generated, but are quite tightly designed, with progression linked to story events more closely. There is a big randomised dungeon, but I generally blasted through most of its floors quite quickly.

While I wouldn't say there's less dungeon crawling than in 3 or 4, I would say that it's generally more interesting due to the manually-designed major dungeons. There's one dungeon near the end of the game that seemed to piss a lot of people on these forums off, but I quite liked it myself.
  • dominalien 2 Jan 2019 12:07:40 8,954 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Hmm, I don't remember how it was in P3 any more (I did complete it before P4 came out), but I don't remember feeling very time constrained there. I distinctly remember maxing a number of relationships, so it came as a surprise here.

I know P5 has designed dungeons and that makes all the difference to holding my interest. I actually put it on for a bit last night to celebrate and I now want to start playing ASAP. :-)
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Jan 2019 10:53:26 14,064 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spider-Man

Great traversal and good combat. Decent story and bosses. Far too many crime side quests and too few variations on those available. Drone side missions were also frustratingly hard.

8/10
  • ghearoid 6 Jan 2019 11:19:51 3,169 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Kirby Star Allies

This is a really fun and charming game. I was initially wary of the co-op focus in its marketing since I knew I'd mostly be playing solo, but it works really well. It's a bit like picking your group for a jrpg with, say, one ally for physical attacks, one with an elemental attack and one for healing or whatever you decide. Also, being able to combine skills gives even more options

The music is glorious and the whole game is a celebration of all things Kirby.

My only criticism is that there is occasional slowdown when things get crazy, plus there are often loading screens in the middle of levels which seems odd but nothing that hinders gameplay.

I recommend it, especially if you have young children, they'll love it. Even big kids will love it too. ;)

8/10
  • Malek86 6 Jan 2019 15:51:39 8,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hellblade (Xbox One)

Game Pass deals to the rescue. Ok, so this one starts pretty boring at first, the combat doesn't really work all that well, and the rune puzzles are more annoying than fun. The story is also kind of a hot mess, but still manages to be interesting enough to follow until the end, even if you don't really understand what's going on half the time. So essentially it all boils down to accepting things as they are? Feels kinda like regular life advice to me.

Anyway, the visual design is marvelous, the graphics are pretty good even on the standard Xbox One, and it is both incredibly bleak and also pretty creepy at points. I think it could have been an even more effective horror game, if they had focused more on that. As it is, the game is still plenty creepy.

7/10
  • Vortex808 6 Jan 2019 15:59:53 12,946 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Halo 4

Continuing my re-run through them all in between playing BF V.

More fun than i remembered, but the dog/crawler spam did still grate occasionally.

On to ODST next after some Spartan Op-ping.

Or maybe Metro Last Light redux in readiness for the next one.
  • RyanDS 6 Jan 2019 16:01:19 12,409 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Octopath on the switch.

I loved it to start. Then I hated the grinding. Then once I got past that and settled into chapter 3 I liked it. Then loved it, then chapter four I thought was... mixed.

Chapter four is unbalanced as all eight are the same level difficulty but your characters keep increasing. So first couple were hard, then by the end was boring as every fight was so easy. But there must have been something there as I finished 530 this morning. Had 4 to go and just ploughed through. Loved these stories.

Didnít do the optional stuff or true ending. To be honest fuck games that roll creditsbthen make you do tedious obscure stuff to get the whole story.

Reading back what I wrote, it sounds negative, but I did really like it. First game in years I played till dawn.

8/10

Would be higher if the true ending was reasonable, but I will google that.
  • H1ggyLTD 6 Jan 2019 16:14:02 11,236 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Hellblade (Xbox One)

Game Pass deals to the rescue. Ok, so this one starts pretty boring at first, the combat doesn't really work all that well, and the rune puzzles are more annoying than fun. The story is also kind of a hot mess, but still manages to be interesting enough to follow until the end, even if you don't really understand what's going on half the time. So essentially it all boils down to accepting things as they are? Feels kinda like regular life advice to me.

Anyway, the visual design is marvelous, the graphics are pretty good even on the standard Xbox One, and it is both incredibly bleak and also pretty creepy at points. I think it could have been an even more effective horror game, if they had focused more on that. As it is, the game is still plenty creepy.

7/10
    Struggling to get into this myself.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.