Following Recently Completed Games Page 570

• Pierre2k 6 Jan 2019 22:38:36 1,124 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Crash Trilogy on the Switch

Made a nice change after so many RPGs and open world games to just have a linear pick up and play game. It was very mixed, I loved it, but it was so frustrating, switch almost went out the window a few times

First was super hard, but rewarding. Second was the best, just the right balance of difficulty. Third was rather annoying, too many mini games, I hated the jet ski for instance.

Still, I finished them all, loved them for the nostalgia, and would love to see a new game in that style.

7/10
    I salute you!

I got this on X1X and having never played the originals (I was a Saturn owner who stayed with it til the bitter end, then moved N64 when it was obsolete) so it's a great value bundle and they look lovely. Wanted to play and complete them in order so worked through the original, enjoying it, until I got to that first bridge level. Jesus Christ, talk about a difficulty spike! Was stuck on that for about 2 weeks, albeit, only playing sporadically a few goes some evenings.

Eventually did it, and literally danced around the living room I was so relieved. Burned through around the next 8-10 levels without a single issue until I got to yet another, but even harder, bridge level. I pretty much have up there and then. Wtf!

My OCD won't let me play the sequels until the first is done, so I should really have posted this in the abandoned games post. Still, feel like I'm missing out, especially of the second is a bit more balanced and enjoyable.
  • RyanDS 6 Jan 2019 23:13:17 12,760 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trick to the bridge is jump on the rope. Then you can avoid half the level.

Stilll tool me more than any other level to complete but makes it much easier.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Jan 2019 23:35:08 5,847 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Battletech: Flashpoint (Career mode) - 9.5

Counting this as a separate completion to the main game, because career mode (with the Flashpoint expansion) adds a whole other layer on the game, plus higher difficulty.

Finished my first Flashpoint career with a "Veteran" rating (basically a 3 out of 5). Not bad for a first go, but could have done better if I'd focussed on maxing the things that contribute to your score. The core game remains incredible - the best turn-based tactics around. Looking forward to Urban Warfare and the as-yet-unannounced third expansion.
  • Gunzberg 7 Jan 2019 00:14:55 2,704 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shadow Warrior 2 9/10

Was given away free on GOG recently and man it takes everything to another level. The weapon customisation, the stabbing, shooting, exploding, the flow, the smoothness but this game is just a laugh a ton - Lo Wang is the best.

Flying Wild Hog wrote a script so funny that for a tiny studio it absolutely puts to shame the turgid AAA garbage I endure for most of the year. It gets a 9 because it totally achieves its goal of being a humorous shoot and slash em up!
  • Sharz 7 Jan 2019 10:25:26 1,891 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well it has taken several years but Gravity Rush can finally be added to the complete list.

Played on both the Vita and restarted on the PS4. Excellent game if abit annoying at times with some proper head scratch of why the hell did they do it that way moments. But if people fancy a game with character charm they can't go wrong. Although the graphics and pea soup effect is showing its age in places.

A solid 8/10

Now finally onto the sequel.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 9 Jan 2019 18:42:32 473 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PC): It's been a long while since a played as Snake /MGS 3: Snake Eater was the last one I played/. I was completely unaware what I was getting with this. Must say I actually appreciated its short main campaign. Not going to do side missions yet, maybe later. Game says 7% complete, LOL. Took me like 2 hours to find the freaking girl PAZ.
    The gameplay, visuals, voice acting everything was top notch. Snake's voice though, WTF? where is my David Hayter?
    Ending was brutal for a MGS game... Overall it did not disappoint. For me as a former MGS fan a 9/10.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 18:44:49 09-01-2019
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2019 20:54:24 8,455 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Celeste (Xbox One)

Pretty good. Interesting story and believable characters, although I kinda wanted to punch Mr. Oshiro in the face. The platforming gets intense at times, I completed the game with 1200+ deaths, but at least I got almost all the strawberries. Took me roughly 8:30 hours. Some sections seem to last a bit too long, and a few of the middle levels were simply too dispersive for me to try exploring them again. I think this game could have done with a little more linearity.

I must be getting bad at platformers anyway, because the B-side levels are kicking my ass. I think I'll stop now, before they end up frustrating me and sullying my experience with the game.

8/10

Is it worth getting another two crystal hearts to unlock chapter 8?
  • Nitrous 9 Jan 2019 21:26:33 1,797 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Detroit become human (PS4)

Really enjoyed my time with this. Great voice acting and the unlocks you can access gives you some insite as to how it was all put together.

Clancy Brown who played Hank was also in one of my all time favourite films Shawshank Redemption.
  • Timmy 9 Jan 2019 23:24:58 9,208 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mafia 3. I started it and put it down twice, thinking it was a poor man's GTA (which it kind of is), but I eventually realised how charming it was and played it through to completion, including most of the DLC.

I'd recommend it to anyone.
  • Chug666 10 Jan 2019 07:48:25 574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Timmy fun fact, having played each last year I think I preferred mafia 3 to Red Dead 2... Respective expectations played a part but I quite liked that it was straightforward and tells a decent story. Good game.
  • samharper 10 Jan 2019 15:21:33 1,118 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Super up to date

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Abandoned on PS4 the year it came out because I got sick of it. Turns out I was right at the end after getting through it again on Xbox One (Wyatt) after needing to play something faster to counter the (amazing) trudge of RDR2. Drags a little at points and some difficulty spikes, generally best in class level design though. Still looks great and plays sublime. Great story too. Second half definitely the better one, the beginning levels were very brown and grey, and it went to places I never expected. Looking forward to giving The Old Blood a go at some point.

8.5/10

P.S. Started playing 2 on the Switch, enjoying it but the level design so far has definitely taken a nosedive :(
  • Zomoniac 10 Jan 2019 17:25:47 10,019 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Edit: wrong thread

Edited by Zomoniac at 22:24:49 10-01-2019
  • ModoX 11 Jan 2019 10:07:12 3,477 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gnog (PSVR)

What a delightful game! Picked it up for a fiver in the sale. It's especially great in VR, but I'm sure it would be brilliant flat screen too. Simple puzzle boxes but really colourful and with great music and design. After clearing the last level I immediately went back to re-play my favourite level just to enjoy the aesthetics again.
  • PazJohnMitch 11 Jan 2019 10:19:47 14,472 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oxenfree

Supernatural themed exploration game focused on social interactions.

You are given 3 potential dialogue responses but the conversation between you and other people does not pause. So you can find yourself missing the opportunity to say something important or continually butting in and cutting the other people off. (And sometimes staying quiet might be the best option).

I thoroughly enjoyed it and somehow managed to get a pretty good ending. (One which surprised me).

8/10
  • Doomspoon 11 Jan 2019 20:14:12 2,975 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Q.U.B.E. 2 - PC

In an effort to play Humble Monthly games up to the point of getting all of the Steam trading cards from them from this month onward (not that I'm so much fussed about the cards but want to use the time needed to gain all of the drops as a mark of giving a game sufficient time to form a balanced opinion of it) I've ended up sticking to this one until the finish.

I only played a little of the first but this felt like an improvement to me. I think comparisons to Portal are fair enough, even if the execution isn't the same, the level design was reminiscent.

For the most part the puzzles were really easy, to the point of not really seeming as puzzles, just tidying up. There were a few that did have me stopping and thinking for a while towards the end but it was quite odd to go from one room where I was trying a couple of different things before sussing it out to then walking into the next room and seeing the solution immediately.

It was fun and relaxing though.

If you liked the Portal games then there's a chance you'll enjoy this.
  • Darth_Flibble 12 Jan 2019 18:00:28 3,430 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dreamfall Chapters

Its been about 10+ years since the last game. The animation and graphics are not quite this gen graphics but its kickstarter game with limited budget but its decent adventure game. Sometimes what you are suppose to do or go, its a bit obtuse like old school adventure game.

A lot of the characters are great, Zoe, Crow and shitbot are great characters (also there is 2 that are really foul mouthed) and well voiced but Kian (2nd playable character) is mostly dull. Sometimes he becomes a bit more interesting. The game could of done with cutting as some bits feel like padding

The game choices may not change the game that much, one near the start changes where you work and never meet shitbot. Some game reviewers gave it mixed review because of this but they no doubt gave telltale a free pass

8/10
  • StixxUK 12 Jan 2019 20:09:25 8,153 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Uncharted 4

Finally finished this after having it on the go for well over a year. It was a lot longer than I expected! Overall great fun to play and so far the biggest blockbuster action game I've experienced.

I really enjoyed the characters and got pulled into the story, the settings and graphics were pretty consistently spectacular and you could pull off some pretty cool moves in the arena-style combat set-pieces. Generally the game just feels good to play and the guns have impact.

On the downside, it was a bit samey by the end - a lot of the time I felt like I'd done it before and although the settings had changed, the bad guys hadn't and I'm not sure I was doing anything much different by the 20th hour compared to the 10th.

Overall I'd recommend it to anyone, as it's just fun to play, has a good range of difficulty settings and a lot to do. It's something most people will really enjoy experiencing, but falls short of essential status through its combination of simplicity and length.

8/10
  • DUFFMAN5 12 Jan 2019 20:15:25 24,551 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    As posted on 52 games thread;

Alien Colonic Marines ;) 4/10. The one and only standout was the sewer level with the Alien husks.

Lego LotR. Good fun.

Both from the huge (360 library) backlog. 2019 is the year of the backlog, mostly ;)
  • welshben1982 12 Jan 2019 20:34:54 1,288 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    As posted on 52 games thread;

Alien Colonic Marines ;) 4/10. The one and only standout was the sewer level with the Alien husks.

Lego LotR. Good fun.

Both from the huge (360 library) backlog. 2019 is the year of the backlog, mostly ;)
    :lol: Must be really shit then!
  • DUFFMAN5 12 Jan 2019 21:23:03 24,551 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @welshben1982

I know mate, hence my version of the title
    ;)
  • Malek86 14 Jan 2019 18:20:42 8,455 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Turing Test (Xbox One)

Another Gold game, an older one this time. Portal-like game from the Pneuma developers. Now, I thought Pneuma was pretty meh, but this one was actually better than I expected. However, as much as the game promotes "lateral thinking", there were very few instances when it actually was useful. For the most part, thinking in logical terms is enough to find a solution.

The story does pose some interesting philosophical questions about humanity, free will, and the greater good. I actually thought the computer had the stronger argument, and at the end I almost decided to shoot the protagonists. However, I stayed my hand, proving that a machine could be human after all... or perhaps simply that it's hard for humans to think like a machine.

Definitely a game to check out if you missed it before. The puzzles are fairly easy, so even the 70 test rooms won't last too long.

8/10

Edited by Malek86 at 18:20:56 14-01-2019
  • Vortex808 14 Jan 2019 20:48:34 13,186 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Doom(2016)

Check it out Jono, it only took about 2 years after getting it from you to finish it! 😃

It was well made, and fun to play, and overall I enjoyed it. However, for some reason there was never any real pull back to it which meant it took me ages to get round to it and finish it.

Hail Phattso's new thread for 'forcing' me to confront my demons and finally finish it.
  • lordofdeadside 15 Jan 2019 13:20:42 1,355 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mutant Year Zero - Xb1 X

Never really played an Xcom style game before but this was great. The combination of real-time exploration and turn based combat works really well and it was fun creeping round an area trying to single out enemies to kill without alerting everyone. However, this can be very difficult and frustrating unless you save & reload a lot.

It does the whole finding "ancient tech and misinterpreting it" thing too which can be funny, and although it's not the most original, the story kept me engaged.

Definitely worth a go if you've got Gamepass.

75%

The Invisible Hours - PSVR

Absolutely loved it, couples a really clever story telling mechanic with solid voice acting. The story kept me guessing and did the thing that great murder mysteries do where you switch between who you think did it throughout the whole thing.

Floating around observing the characters felt great in VR too, hearing conversations in the distance or spotting someone out of the corner of your eye and choosing to follow them was always interesting.

There were a few audio glitches and a couple of the storylines might not have made perfect sense when you think about them, but generally it's a great VR experience.

85%

Edited by lordofdeadside at 13:22:23 15-01-2019
  • whatthefu 15 Jan 2019 13:21:34 1,221 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ultimate Doom on Not Too Rough difficulty.
    Mario Bros 1 from Mario all stars.
  • StormFiber1221 16 Jan 2019 12:43:08 1 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Finished yesterday with friend Gio on PS2 : VIP . For those who do not remember, VIP is a series released in the early 2000s with Pamela Anderson headlining.
    For this PS2 opus, we are dealing squarely with a game of QTE, where the action sequences stop just before being started and where it is necessary to make combinations of quarter circles or whole circles with the right joystick, where you have to target the immobile enemies before shooting with X, where you have to hammer square and round to free yourself from certain phases or enemies and even some piracy phases where you have to press the right button in the right timing. Let's face it, it's very little variety, the gameplay is very little existing (although much more present than in some current games) and graphically it's not really beautiful with an aliasing of death that kills (it is in 2002 to recalls with this title of Ubisoft). But the game has a certain charm, with its nanardesque scenario, some very oriented phases with a slightly dressed pixel and quite ridiculous enemies, and also loading times with Madam Rami. The game ends in a little over an hour, so to say that at the time about 60 it was dp flying, but we still a good little moment, we are surprised to laugh and smile of a lot of things related to the game, but not of the game. It remains to see now what can give the other three versions of the game, because the versions GBC, GBA and Playstation first of the name have nothing to do with this game , for example the one on PS1 is a shooting game with a viewfinder in pre-computed decors!
  • Bichii 19 Jan 2019 12:59:09 1,697 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Shadow of the tomb raider
    PS4

Was close to being posted in the abandoned section. Had moments of excellence when it went dark but then it always ruined it straight after. That one bit when Lara goes sith on me was amazing but then it's ruined again. Terrible story, terrible writing, boring exploration. All it did was make me want to reinstall uncharted.
    Oh and combat way too easy, basically played the entire game only using the knife.

6/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Jan 2019 11:46:40 5,847 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Warhammer 40K: Mechanicus (PC) - 9/10

A lot of recent Warhammer 40K games have been on the crap side and there are an absolute flood of them hitting Steam. That makes spotting the decent ones much harder. I'm very glad I spotted Mechanicus.

It's basically a turn-based tactics game with some light RPG elements, which lifts elements from XCom (the Firaxis versions) and Darkest Dungeon. Like Darkest Dungeon, exploration takes place via a dungeon-map screen, with strong risk/reward trade-offs around whether to explore or head straight to the objective. Squad development and the actual tactical combat, on the other hand, is much more XCom-like, though the absence of a cover mechanic gives things an interesting twist. The whole thing plays out against a ticking doomsday-clock in the background to the campaign, which can be slowed but not reversed. There's not enough time to see all missions or all tech in a single playthrough.

By and large, it's a really good game. The combat mechanics are fun, with the cognition-point system adding an extra twist not found in XCom and acting as a strong incentive not to turtle up. The Adeptus Mechanicus are a fun faction to play as and it's kind of nice to have a 40K game without a single Space Marine in sight. The bitchy, bickering tech-priests make for an entertaining cast. There are apparently multiple endings based on your choices, though I've only seen one of them. At roughly 24 hours for a full playthrough, it strikes a nice balance between giving value for money without starting to feel like a chore.

Flaws? The visuals are more "functional" than "pretty". The difficulty curve is odd. The first few missions feel really hard. Mess them up with suboptimal outcomes and you can fall fatally behind the power curve (I had to restart once after around 6 hours). But pull through the early missions well and by the mid-game, things will be feeling fairly easy, as you can upgrade your tech-priests faster than the power of the Necrons you're up against increases.

But those are small niggles. This is really good and probably the best 40K game since at least Space Marine.
  • dominalien 20 Jan 2019 11:51:57 9,145 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Professor Layton and the Lost Future on 3DS.

Seems tiny after the multitude of locations from the previous part, as there's only a few streets here, but I don't think it's really any smaller. A very nice story, the best so far. A few obtuse puzzles I thought were poorly explained, but generally a step-up from the previous two games. A huge WTF moment when the girl comes and kills the talking bee. What were they thinking??? It serves no purpose at all and is a seriously grating moment, one I'll take a point off for.

8/10
  • quadfather 20 Jan 2019 12:30:05 34,509 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alien isolation on Xbox.

Generally good, decent atmosphere and ambient effects provide a good feeling of dread. Has a few daft mechanics and the controls are slow but overall pretty good. I did enjoy shotgunning those fucking annoying androids in the face once I'd overcome being underpowered. Went on a bit.

8/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.